[APP 4.0+] 3C All-in-One Toolbox

Search This thread

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
I might have an idea of what's going on - I've seen toggling FK checkboxes doesn't update the Permissions tab on App details WRT the internet access before reboot - so it could have been that I was toggling it on in the Permissions tab - but something else was set in the FW tab, then on reboot it got lost.

Anyhow tried now - setting the FW tab properly and immediately rebooting - access is on after reboot - gets preserved.

Three issues:

- Why the reboot? Why doesn't it propagate immediately to the Permissions tab and from it - back and forth on toggle everywhere? I.e. if you uncheck internet access in Permissionn, FW page should show you updated settings and they should be saved for boot…
- Sometimes I have to clear whitelisting completely and allow everything, to check for problems - if I forget this and don't reread the boot FW settings and reboot - the FW on reboot is empty and cannot be reloaded on the bottom.
- Finally - do you really save it by uid? If so, isn't that flawed? Meaning I export the toolbox settings before
system upgrade - then obviously all app uids are different on restore. Shouldn't it be saved just by package id - unless I'm reading you wrong. But thenga change of uid wouldn't be a problem no?
I've never needed to reboot, so I'm not sure why you would need to. There is no propagation to the permission tab as firewall rules apply to network access, it's the other way around, when blocking permission it uses the firewall.
It seems like a UI glitch, but I'll have to enable Xposed on my device to test this more closely.

About changing whitelisting and clearing everything, I see the on-boot button gets red so that change is not saved and this would restore original settings upon reboot... Just make sure for them to be loaded...
That is wait for stupid OS to have run all apps that have requested to run on boot, which can take minutes since one of those *** Android updates.
I tested and it worked as designed. reload even reloaded settings before they were applied.

Firewall rules are applied based on UID, so they are saved based on that and with package name. UIDs are then auto-adjusted upon restoring toolbox settings.
So there's no actual problem.

Reactions: 白い熊

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
I've never needed to reboot, so I'm not sure why you would need to. There is no propagation to the permission tab as firewall rules apply to network access, it's the other way around, when blocking permission it uses the firewall.
It seems like a UI glitch, but I'll have to enable Xposed on my device to test this more closely.
OK – however, I've established the following:

If no access is whitelisted in Firewall tab, I then whitelist it in Firewall tab, it is not propagated to Permissions tab - moreover no access is granted to the app, until I also toggle it on in the Permissions tab - that's when access is granted immediately.

If, on the other hand, I toggle it on in the Firewall tab, then reboot - then open the Permissions tab - it's been propagated now, internet access is now on, and app has access.

Sounds like some interplay between the Firewall tab and Xposed - i.e. when does Xposed read the status and show it in the Permissions tab.

Moreover - without a reboot - if the internet access is off as seen by Xposed and shown on the Permissions tab, toggling it on in the Firewall tab doesn't give the app the access.

It's only received - either by manually toggling the internet access on in the Permissions tab - or by rebooting.

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
@3c - not connected with firewall: some apps refuse to work after restore, mandating that you remove them and reinstall from Play store. This has to be always manually fixed through:
Code:
pm install -i 'com.android.vending' file.apk
Can you add a selectable option to do this on restore for apps that need this?

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
@3c - not connected with firewall: some apps refuse to work after restore, mandating that you remove them and reinstall from Play store. This has to be always manually fixed through:
Code:
pm install -i 'com.android.vending' file.apk
Can you add a selectable option to do this on restore for apps that need this?

What do you mean 'mandating that you remove them and reinstall from Play Store' ?

When you say after restore, you mean after a restore with the toolbox? Then what do you actually have to do to make them work, it's quite unclear.
Running the command is enough or you still have to reinstall from Play Store? If so that means there is no restore possible?

EDIT: I can run that command on every restore as I suspect it'll set the installed app to pretend it's been installed from Play Store, right?

Moreover - without a reboot - if the internet access is off as seen by Xposed and shown on the Permissions tab, toggling it on in the Firewall tab doesn't give the app the access.

It's only received - either by manually toggling the internet access on in the Permissions tab - or by rebooting.
The only thing I can reproduce is the UI glitch where the permission tab does not reflect the firewall setting, but that's about it.

When I toggle the access in firewall tab, it is effective immediately in the affected app, not matter what the permission tab shows.
That permission is effectively blocked by the firewall so how it is set in permission tab doesn't really matter.

Please note that if, for example, you allow WiFi and block APN the permission tab will show as blocked.
Then in WiFi whitelist mode, I noticed that recent Android OS versions thinks there's no WiFi, so it will redirect most apps to use APN.
Those 2 conditions might lead you to believe it's not working ?

EDIT: I've fixed the UI glitch in next update (2.6.8a). Please let me know how that works for you.

Last edited:

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
What do you mean 'mandating that you remove them and reinstall from Play Store' ?

When you say after restore, you mean after a restore with the toolbox? Then what do you actually have to do to make them work, it's quite unclear.
Running the command is enough or you still have to reinstall from Play Store? If so that means there is no restore possible?

EDIT: I can run that command on every restore as I suspect it'll set the installed app to pretend it's been installed from Play Store, right?
So what happens with the apps that are affected by this - i.e. they are running checks on where the app was installed from: I restore it from a backup in the toolbox, open the app, it'll say something along the lines of "This application was not installed from Google Play Store, uninstall it and reinstall from the Play Store."

I don't uninstall it - but run the above command, as root obviously, on the apk in the toolbox backup folder. Then the app will function normally.

You don't want to run the above command automatically by default on every restore - as there are other software stores, like f-droid etc. and this would then wrongly indicate these apps were installed from the Play Store.

It'd be better to make it a togglable option on backup and restore - on backup because then if you'd also make it so that it's saved, it would then run it when restoring a number of backups, but it would run it only where it was set - only for those apps...

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
Another point - line indicators don't work very well for me.

I only use one - a battery bar. The problem I face is it randomly disappears, doesn't show, usually it stays on whilst I'm in the toolbox, then some time after I switch to some other app it disappears. Sometimes immediately, sometimes after a while - no discernible pattern I've been able to identify.

Then the only way to bring it back on is to go into its setting, exit back to the toolbox and it'll pop on.

Display over other apps, accessibility, all is set - but like this its basically unusable. I have to use Super Statusbar - another app - for this purpose and works without a glitch.

Any idea what could be causing this behavior?

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
Another point - line indicators don't work very well for me.

I only use one - a battery bar. The problem I face is it randomly disappears, doesn't show, usually it stays on whilst I'm in the toolbox, then some time after I switch to some other app it disappears. Sometimes immediately, sometimes after a while - no discernible pattern I've been able to identify.

Then the only way to bring it back on is to go into its setting, exit back to the toolbox and it'll pop on.

Display over other apps, accessibility, all is set - but like this its basically unusable. I have to use Super Statusbar - another app - for this purpose and works without a glitch.

Any idea what could be causing this behavior?
If the bar disappears, it means the app was stopped or killed. Simply make sure the app is excluded from any battery optimisations or task killers as explained here: https://3c71.com/optim

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
If the bar disappears, it means the app was stopped or killed. Simply make sure the app is excluded from any battery optimisations or task killers as explained here: https://3c71.com/optim
This I have set up properly — iit shouldn't be getting killed. Sometimes the bar disappears even while in 3c - on other tabs than settings.

Also - if it was because the app is killed - which it shouldn't be, because I have it outside battery optimization - it would come back on after switching to 3c again. Which it doesn't - I have to do the weird step of going to the Line graph settings and out then - only then it comes on...

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
This I have set up properly — iit shouldn't be getting killed. Sometimes the bar disappears even while in 3c - on other tabs than settings.

Also - if it was because the app is killed - which it shouldn't be, because I have it outside battery optimization - it would come back on after switching to 3c again. Which it doesn't - I have to do the weird step of going to the Line graph settings and out then - only then it comes on...
You explained that it disappears when you exit the toolbox, so that was the only logical explanations as I'm using line indicators and have never seen it disappear, ever. What is your settings, showing in fullscreen or not? The line indicator setup is pretty straight forward and appart from fullscreen, there's no option that'll make it disappear, except other apps or OS messing with the draw over other app permission.

I'm using it without glitch for the past several years... So I can't tell what's wrong with your setup. Could even be another app with draw over other apps permissions that would draw something on top of the toolbox lol. That'd be surprising but I've seen worse on Android.

PS:
It's not because you excluded the app from battery optimizations that it cannot be killed. All manufacturers have messed this up. Please read this: https://3c71.com/optim.
Same goes for permissions granting, many manufacturers have implemented a way to remove permissions if you don't *use* an app for a while. Even if the app shows a widget, a notification or any other visible thing permanently! That's how stupid people who think they're smarter than others keep messing Android experience.
Same goes, yes again, for draw over other apps... Some manufacturer have decided that some screens/apps shouldn't be drawn over, no matter what the user decided!

Accessibility have nothing to do with draw over other apps.

So what happens with the apps that are affected by this - i.e. they are running checks on where the app was installed from: I restore it from a backup in the toolbox, open the app, it'll say something along the lines of "This application was not installed from Google Play Store, uninstall it and reinstall from the Play Store."

I don't uninstall it - but run the above command, as root obviously, on the apk in the toolbox backup folder. Then the app will function normally.

Next update will backup owner package (store information) with all backups when set and restore it automatically if set. It'll save it in info.txt file, so you can edit manually to change it at your convenience. No point having special options that would only confuse users.

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
It's not because you excluded the app from battery optimizations that it cannot be killed. All manufacturers have messed this up. Please read this: https://3c71.com/optim.
Same goes for permissions granting, many manufacturers have implemented a way to remove permissions if you don't *use* an app for a while. Even if the app shows a widget, a notification or any other visible thing permanently! That's how stupid people who think they're smarter than others keep messing Android experience.
Same goes, yes again, for draw over other apps... Some manufacturer have decided that some screens/apps shouldn't be drawn over, no matter what the user decided!
You know - this brings me back to the discussion we had some time ago, when I was telling you the Toolbox is misbehaving every time I exit it and come back in, most of the times it's reloading apps again in the list, it takes a damn long time...

I think it's Samsung - I have a Fold 4 now - this problem was the same on the Fold 3. It really seems it's killing it / putting it to sleep aggressively - which would explain both, the toolbox reloading and the line graph getting killed.

The behavior is the same with display in fullscreen for the line graph set and unset. I have it out of battery optimization, but it seems it's getting killed. That would explain both of the effects I'm seeing - and this has been out-of-the-box before customizing my phone's setup... So it might be Samsung is doing something there which is causing it...

What's the way to solve this? How about adding an option to run the Toolbox as a service with an statusbar notification icon - those apps don't get killed no?

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
You know - this brings me back to the discussion we had some time ago, when I was telling you the Toolbox is misbehaving every time I exit it and come back in, most of the times it's reloading apps again in the list, it takes a damn long time...

I think it's Samsung - I have a Fold 4 now - this problem was the same on the Fold 3. It really seems it's killing it / putting it to sleep aggressively - which would explain both, the toolbox reloading and the line graph getting killed.

The behavior is the same with display in fullscreen for the line graph set and unset. I have it out of battery optimization, but it seems it's getting killed. That would explain both of the effects I'm seeing - and this has been out-of-the-box before customizing my phone's setup... So it might be Samsung is doing something there which is causing it...

What's the way to solve this? How about adding an option to run the Toolbox as a service with an statusbar notification icon - those apps don't get killed no?
First is to identify the cause, and considering the new information about the device being a Fold 4, I suspect the bar disappears when you switch screens. I remember there are options to prevent the OS from restarting activities or limiting the effect of screen switches on app.

Last edited:

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
No it doesn't - I'm always on the same screen, almost never switch. Usually I just switch to another app and within some seconds it's gone.

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
No it doesn't - I'm always on the same screen, almost never switch. Usually I just switch to another app and within some seconds it's gone.
Well, you should send a support request after that happens. Did you change developer settings?
Based on your description of the symptoms, it's obvious something is interfering.

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
Well, you should send a support request after that happens. Did you change developer settings?
Based on your description of the symptoms, it's obvious something is interfering.
OK, I'll turn it on — it'll close within one minute and I'll send the request.

In Developer options the only things I toggled are:
- OEM unlocking - on
- Auto update system - off
- Mobile data always active - on
- Force activities to be resizable - on
- Enable freeform windows - on
- Force desktop mode - on
- Multi window for all apps - on

OK - sent the request now - it literally takes like 20 seconds outside of the toolbox - poof, it disappears. But then doesn't come back on once opening the toolbox again - I have to go into the Line graph settings, then just exit from these settings, and only then it jumps back on.

Last edited:

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
Next update will backup owner package (store information) with all backups when set and restore it automatically if set. It'll save it in info.txt file, so you can edit manually to change it at your convenience. No point having special options that would only confuse users.
I don't think this a proper approach now - for someone who has restored many apps from a 3c backup - like me.

I just checked - and all apps restored from 3c backups have the vendor set as 'null' - which is improper by default. Only the ones - a handful - that I've installed directly in the above manner or from Google Play after the latest system update have it set properly as the 'com.android.vending' - so if you do it like you say - for me most everything will be saved with 'null' - thus I'll have to edit everything by hand... Whereas if one could select the vendor for multiple apps.... :O)

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
I don't think this a proper approach now - for someone who has restored many apps from a 3c backup - like me.

I just checked - and all apps restored from 3c backups have the vendor set as 'null' - which is improper by default. Only the ones - a handful - that I've installed directly in the above manner or from Google Play after the latest system update have it set properly as the 'com.android.vending' - so if you do it like you say - for me most everything will be saved with 'null' - thus I'll have to edit everything by hand... Whereas if one could select the vendor for multiple apps.... :O)
You're original suggestion was to have an option in both backup/restore pop-ups to decide whether or not to backup/restore the actual store information. I've just made it automatic and pretty simple.

For anyone backing-up/restoring many apps, like I do when changing device, it'll be much better than having to tick an option during backup and restore to make sure store information is up-to-date.

Now, the actual issue is that as of previous versions, the store information is not there. However when Play Store will update your apps, it'll update the store information as well and every subsequent backup will have that information.

Also you mentioned that you had a handful of apps requiring the store information to be up-to-date, so you only have to edit the info.txt file for those, which I'm sure won't take that long. I did it on the few apps that do that in a matter of minutes, amongst the 500 backups I have.

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
Now, the actual issue is that as of previous versions, the store information is not there. However when Play Store will update your apps, it'll update the store information as well and every subsequent backup will have that information.
You're right, I didn't realize it gets fixed upon Store update - so it's a self-rectifying thing… :O)

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
OK, I'll turn it on — it'll close within one minute and I'll send the request.

In Developer options the only things I toggled are:
- OEM unlocking - on
- Auto update system - off
- Mobile data always active - on
- Force activities to be resizable - on
- Enable freeform windows - on
- Force desktop mode - on
- Multi window for all apps - on

OK - sent the request now - it literally takes like 20 seconds outside of the toolbox - poof, it disappears. But then doesn't come back on once opening the toolbox again - I have to go into the Line graph settings, then just exit from these settings, and only then it jumps back on.

Have you resolved your issue? Can you try to disable the last 4 options, from force activities down-to multi window ?

Can you also check individual toolbox settings with regards to activities/windows handling by OS? I would suspect something is affecting the toolbox but not other apps!?

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
Have you resolved your issue? Can you try to disable the last 4 options, from force activities down-to multi window ?
I'll try and see how it goes. Did you see anything interesting in the logs?
Can you also check individual toolbox settings with regards to activities/windows handling by OS? I would suspect something is affecting the toolbox but not other apps!?
What do you mean by “individual toolbox settitgs”?

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
Separately - regarding the firewall: could you add finer filtering options? I.e. by tags and by blocked/allowed states?

Would be helpful managing apps…

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    In the battery configuration wizard Oneplus is missing. It was here in 2.58. I have a Oneplus 9pro and the battery current flow is divided by 2. Please can you add again Oneplus with 65W charging.
    Thanks.
    Hello,

There has been an intended change to merge the 2 behavior thanks to some other data being available. However the algorithm being used appeared unstable.

This is solved in latest beta (2.7.0d), and will continue to improve. Already tested on OnePlus 10 Pro, Xiaomi 11T Pro, OnePlus 9 Pro coming soon as well as some POCO devices.
    Not sure if it is my phone or the app, but 3C Toolbox continually crashes since upgrading to 2.7.0d. I have not yet tried downgrading.

Samsung Note20 Ultra 5G, Android 12.

(Requesting support from the app does not work, it said something about not being able to attach an empty file. I just emailed logs that I attached manually.)
    Can you try sending a support request from app settings, help and support? It should include crash stack trace to help fix this asap.
    Thanks. When I tried sending that directly to Gmail it failed saying something about an empty file, but I saved the 10 logs and manually emailed them.

The app seems to run, but my widgets aren't working and I keep getting notified that 3C Is crashing. I have noticed other "odd" behavior from my phone today, not sure if 3C is causing it or "it" is causing an issue with 3C. I will attempt to downgrade to prior version.

(Downgrading to 2.9.6g appears to have fixed the issue)
    Empty file doesn't mean it failed. I need the crash files to solve this.
    If widgets are not working and considering the UI is not crashing it's likely one of the widget data that fails to load.

In any case sending a support request should help fix this as long as the crash files are included.

You can find those in /sdcard/Android/data/ccc71.at.free/support.

So far I haven't received any file? Did you add a ref to this thread/post?
    With 2.6.9g installed now, the reporting works, but these aren't the logs I expect we want. I just emailed you again and referenced this thread. The logs from 2.7.0d are attached in a zip file. I can't really read them, but they do show a widget crash I believe. Thanks.

(Widgets are working after downgrade)
    Got the files, thanks. Indeed widgets are crashing because of lack of permission, new restrictions enforced by Google since beginning of November, for which I didn't pay attention:
    Caused by: java.lang.SecurityException: Caller ccc71.at.free needs to hold android.permission.SCHEDULE_EXACT_ALARM to set exact alarms.
    This permission is supposedly automatically granted on Android 12, and requires user activation on Android 13.

Please try 2.7.0f published minutes ago (allows time for Google review), which should solve your issue.
    [APP 4.1+] 3C All-in-One Toolbox

3C Toolbox, available on Play Store and XDA Labs is the most comprehensive must-have toolbox for Android version 4.1 and above, running any ROM or kernel. Issues, suggestions, feature requests, please make sure to read post #2.

This app includes all features delivered separately in below apps. This is the result of many years of work to bring all features together in an easy-to-use giant toolbox, and it includes the features of many other apps, including Titanium Backup, Greenify, BetterBatteryStats, App2SD, Seeder, ROM Toolbox Pro, SetCPU, System Panel, Root Explorer, Autorun Manager, Terminal Emulator, Script Editor, SD Booster, BuildProp Editor, ATK and so much more.

What is 3C Toolbox Replaces 20+ apps easily worth 30€ for the price of a couple of beers!

Download link Play Store XDA Labs

Can take advantage of the following apps (not integrated because of policy restrictions from Play Store):

3C Sensitive Backup - Allows backup/restore of SMS/MMS and call-log, can work with 3C Toolbox to schedule backups.

3C Legacty Battery Stats - Allows reading Android legacy battery statistics

Non-exhaustive list of integrated apps and features :

3C CPU Manager (root) - CPU/GPU controls for root users

3C Kernel Tweaker (root) - Kernel tweaking for root users

3C Task Manager - A simple yet powerful task manager for Android

3C Task Recorder - A simple yet powerful task recorder for Android

3C Log Reader - A simple log reader allowing you to read logcat, kernel and xposed logs from a single place

3C Explorer - This is a very simple file explorer for Android

3C Toggles - Highly customizable widgets to control about 30 system components.

3C Battery Monitor - The most complete tool to monitor your battery, have no equal on Play Store.

3C Network Manager - Monitor trafic and control network configurations

3C Apps Manager - The most complete app manager to backup/restore/control all your apps

3C SQLite Manager - A simple SQLite editor

More information

App Features

App screenshots

3C Apps Feature Comparison

Lowest CPU consumption on Play Store

Permissions requested

Getting started guide

Online help

Unique features not available elsewhere

Track your ROM, kernel and battery performance (%/h or mA, screen on or standby)
    ◊ Battery milli-amp (mA), mW and %/h consumption reporting
    ◊ Automatic backup of installed and updated applications
    ◊ Highly configurable textual and graphical monitoring widgets
    ◊ The most advanced and configurable UI
    ◊ Clean and safe reboots, without data loss (root required)
    ◊ And much more
    FAQ and guidelines for any queries

Before you put a bad rating on Play Store for a single broken feature among the 100 the app delivers, and before you contact me (or post here), you may consider the following:
    3C Toolbox runs on hundreds of devices and custom ROMs, I cannot test all of them, however I try to change device regularly to ensure the app is compatible with all devices, please check my signature.

◊ 3C Toolbox and its derived apps are, at the time of writing, used by more than half a million users and 3C Toolbox Pro is rated 4.8/5 by about 3000 users.

◊ 3C Toolbox runs on Android 4.x and above, I always have at least one device running 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, 7.x and 8.x to avoid issues, however I may miss some key differences from time to time, possibly causing the app to crash or a feature to malfunction.

◊ 3C Toolbox is not a game relying on well established documentation, but an advanced toolbox which uses some undocumented features, which have evolved along with each version of Android. Even some documented features had to be adapted to newer Android versions.

◊ 3C Toolbox provides milli-Ampere data for your battery either provided by Android OS or estimated by the app when there is no current sensor. Hardware current sensor can sometimes report inaccurate or no data at all. It's impossible to predict how the next device will report milli-Ampere if it does at all.

◊ I'm a human being, not a service center, not a big corporate. Like any other human being I don't like being bashed or insulted by email or anywhere else and will no longer waste my time for anyone doing so.
    Why such guidelines?
    - You want new features and improvements as soon as possible?
    - You want a quick solution to a problem?
    - You don't want to waste your time explaining?

Me too, that's that simple.
    Feature requests?
    Please explain using as few words as it's possible and join a screenshot if it applies to an existing feature. Pictures speaks 1000 words they say, maybe.
    Issues with CPU temperature or battery current mA or capacity mAh?
    Please explain this in a support request sent from app settings, help and support so I can provide the appropriate option to use in 'mA retrieval method' of battery / monitoring settings and add out-of-the-box support for your device. All necessary information is provided in the request's attachments.

Battery current mA and CPU temperature are non standard on Android and every devices/manufacturers provides it differently or not at all. Don't blame the app if your device doesn't provide it or report inconsistent values, ask your manufacturer which get paid lots of bucks.
    Issues with GPU tab missing features?
    GPU configuration is not something standard on Android, and there are currently 10+ implementations available. If you miss something, please send a support request from app settings, help and support mentioning what's missing and a screenshot of each GPU tabs.
    How to get support for any other issues
    Please send a support request from app settings, help and support. You need to clearly explain your issue, attach any relevant screenshots showing where and how the issue occurs. I will not provide any support here.

The idea is that you explain the observed issue, possibly add a screenshot so that I know exactly where to look (app has 100+ screens and sometimes words don't mean the same for you and me), from there I can really do a good job at helping you. You want my help, do it the right way or simply don't.

The support requests contains the following (you can check the content before sending). Privacy policy is available here.

◊ Battery technical details as available on device
    ◊ Battery history recorded (last 100 records)
    ◊ CPU technical details as available on device
    ◊ SD mount points (to help identify unsupported SD locations)
    ◊ Previous visible and internal crash reports (FC)
    ◊ Process running (to identify possible conflicts)
    ◊ App configuration (version number, type and mA retrieval method in use)
    ◊ Android configuration (version, security settings, ROM, kernel)

You've read all this? I thank you for your time and hope you enjoy my apps.
    Future plans

Here is what I'm working on or planning next:

• Improve ROM Manager with extra features.
    • Improve Battery Manager status tab and displayed data
    • Add tabs to App Manager (protect, debloat, crystallize, others?)
    • Add 'optimize' tab to System Manager for memory/storage
    • Improve file manager with swipe left-right and new tab options
    • Improve Terminal Emulator with real terminal display.
    • Improve UI, suggestions most welcome.
    • Removing all ads to see if it brings any positive results (currently testing on 3C Toolbox).
    • Add PayPal to XDA Labs apps if possible.

This is my current objectives:
    • Increase user support from Play Store, Huawei AppGallery or XDA Labs
    • Get XDA Labs apps Google-free (using PayPal)
    Recent Update - Mea Culpa

You have certainly noticed the recent updates that is supposed to improve root handling in my apps, and might have experienced issues.

Why make such change

In versions before 1.6.12, the app was using a very common root method, using scripts and Android commands. Each action was taking 120ms just to get started. Some features like app manager and explorer run a lot of them. With Marshmallow, there's even a bug that cause determining path to fail and require root, slowing down everything a lot.

I started testing a shared library in 1.6.12 that would run root commands directly without this 120ms overhead and it worked really well, running some commands in 1ms instead!

In 1.7, I've started 'migrating' all root features to this new method, always implementing a fall-back in case something went wrong. That didn't work so well in the end.

What went wrong?

To make it short, I was testing this new method on a few devices, running Android 6.0.1, 5.1, 4.4 and supposedly 2.3 but it was running 4.1.2. You can imagine easily how misleading this was!

I learned that Samsung devices had special security constraints that made some commands fail completely and prevented the fallback to take place.

At the same time, Xposed module was reported to fail on Marshmallow because of new security policies. Had to change everything because of that!

Then the APK build process was no longer building the x64 versions anymore.

What's next

I'm still receiving reports of various issues on different versions of Android that I will have to address in the next few days/weeks.

Android N is coming with new security restrictions that will require further changes, but this new root method is already taking care of that.

Did I make a bad decision?

No. Since Android implemented SELinux security policies in 4.2/4.3, each new version of Android has required many internal changes to keep features working, and its getting worse with M and now N.

This new method not only offers much better performance but also requires much less workaround to keep working.

Yes, I made a mistake. After hours of working nights and week-ends, it was still not ready for public release as I thought.

What went even more wrong?

In my desire to offer the best experience possible, I published fixes too quickly and instead of stabilizing stuff, I've only made it worse.

Long story short

I'm sorry for any inconveniences you might have experienced, and I'll do my best to make it better asap.

Want to help?

If you experience any issues and want to help, please send a support request from app settings, help and support, mentioning what happens and possibly screenshot for my understanding.

The support request provides valuable information on the Android version, app logs, Xposed version if installed, app config, etc... Much needed so that I can investigate the issue with similar environment, otherwise I might be testing on a dozen devices without reproducing the issue.

I can then send you an updated APK with a fix or with active debug if I can't pin-point the problem on my test devices.

FWIW: Version 1.7 was addressing a number of issues in previous versions and I did hope it would make users happy with some nice improvements. My bad.
    3C Task Manager 3.0 (beta)

Dear users,

I've updated (in beta) 3C Task Manager with the new project/build structure. APK size is reduced by 15% while delivering more features. Future maintenance will also be much easier.
    3C Task Manager is now capable of managing app's components (activities, services, etc...) and also to renice (Linux priority scheduling) processes (optionally using Xposed for efficiency).
    On rooted device, the app will also be able to use 3C Explorer to open an app's data folder or 3C Log Reader to get app's logs.

This new build allows me to reduce development and maintenance times greatly when publishing apps other than the Toolbox.

A lot of refactoring and splitting took place, allowing to build other apps (with similar look'n'feel) faster too, namely the SMS/Call-log backups that's now missing in the toolbox (due to Play Store restrictions).

Next steps include:
    • Building an SMS/Call-log backup companion app and link it to the toolbox.
    • Adding full SAF / Content Provider support to Explorer
    • Allowing browsing network shares through Explorer's SAF / Content Provider
    • Adding app labeling in Apps Manager.
    • Rebuilding other apps (Battery Monitor, Toggles)
    • Creating 3C App Manager