• Colorful 3D icons

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Apps & Games
There's nothing random, however it may look that way because of how Android OS stop and restart apps.

Force-stop is supposed to prevent an app from restarting until user opens its UI.

When you force-stop an app, the OS first removes any app's schedule, timer, alarms, etc. and then tells the app it is being stopped. An app based on that information can schedule a restart of its services using a specific delay, be it in milliseconds, seconds or even minutes.
For example, in my apps, required background services are auto-restarted after 1 or 5 seconds. So if you force-stop the toolbox twice within less than 1 or 5 seconds, it will not restart at all, because the auto-restart schedule is canceled and the app is not informed it is being stopped the second time (it's not yet running).

Concerning process count, it will not necessarily match the UI because the background service is not reloading exclusion "often enough". If you stop the background process, it will auto-restart (as explained above) and reload exclusion and will report up-to-date process count.

This issue is particularly visible after a fresh install. However it resolves itself when app/background process is restarted, including after an app update.

In next update, the list will be reloaded more appropriately which should solve this. Thanks for bringing that up.

EDIT: Devices running magisk may have processes named <package>:zygote64 which may be accounted for by mistake. I'll try to resolve that in next update too.

EDIT2: On more recent Android versions, process may be named <package>:usap64 :) Taken care of in next update too.
Thanks for the info! You know far, far more about how this works than I do, which is next to nothing, but it does APPEAR to me to be random. The reason I say this is because when I am force closing apps, I am generally force closing the same apps that I regularly use, that take approximately the same amount of time to force close, plus or minus a few in either category, but different apps seem to survive the force close each time. Based on my understanding of what you are saying, I would expect the same apps that are restarting themselves within the specific time period to always be the apps that survive the first force stop?

On a somewhat related note, I was quite shocked when I discovered that most, if not all, apps that claim to freeze apps are just force closing them, which the system then sees as being frozen. This is why you have to be careful which apps you force close, because then you can end up wondering why they aren't running themselves. It can be a good method of preventing apps you don't use often from running themselves, however (outside of running themselves at startup, I believe, if they are set for that).

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
Thanks for the info! You know far, far more about how this works than I do, which is next to nothing, but it does APPEAR to me to be random. The reason I say this is because when I am force closing apps, I am generally force closing the same apps that I regularly use, that take approximately the same amount of time to force close, plus or minus a few in either category, but different apps seem to survive the force close each time. Based on my understanding of what you are saying, I would expect the same apps that are restarting themselves within the specific time period to always be the apps that survive the first force stop?

On a somewhat related note, I was quite shocked when I discovered that most, if not all, apps that claim to freeze apps are just force closing them, which the system then sees as being frozen. This is why you have to be careful which apps you force close, because then you can end up wondering why they aren't running themselves. It can be a good method of preventing apps you don't use often from running themselves, however (outside of running themselves at startup, I believe, if they are set for that).

The scheduling I mentioned is not as precise as that. Since Android M, the OS will try to arrange different schedules together. So an app trying to restart after 5 seconds might actually be scheduled after 10 seconds instead. All to the discretion of the OS. Hard to tell.

The OS defines 2 states: stopped and disabled, each are very different:

1) stopped means the app won't start unless the user starts it manually first. That's Google's definition which is somehow not true under specific circumstances.
2) disabled (frozen) means the app cannot be used, its main icon is not shown and app cannot run. Again that's Google's definition which is not entirely true for some apps like NFC or Bluetooth and sometimes WebView !

Now, what I called freezing in my app does disable apps, while stop do force stop as expected. Not sure why I called it freeze in the first place, must be historical lol.

If an app claim to freeze others but only force close them, it's very deceptive and the system should not show them as 'disabled' in Android settings. If disabled, this means they are truly frozen, but you won't be able to use them.

Quite some time ago users asked for a shortcut to freeze/unfreeze pre-selected apps that could be added to the launcher. You could use that to ensure those selected apps never run unless you want them to. Very effective in most cases.

Reactions: rsngfrce

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Apps & Games
The scheduling I mentioned is not as precise as that. Since Android M, the OS will try to arrange different schedules together. So an app trying to restart after 5 seconds might actually be scheduled after 10 seconds instead. All to the discretion of the OS. Hard to tell.

The OS defines 2 states: stopped and disabled, each are very different:

1) stopped means the app won't start unless the user starts it manually first. That's Google's definition which is somehow not true under specific circumstances.
2) disabled (frozen) means the app cannot be used, its main icon is not shown and app cannot run. Again that's Google's definition which is not entirely true for some apps like NFC or Bluetooth and sometimes WebView !

Now, what I called freezing in my app does disable apps, while stop do force stop as expected. Not sure why I called it freeze in the first place, must be historical lol.

If an app claim to freeze others but only force close them, it's very deceptive and the system should not show them as 'disabled' in Android settings. If disabled, this means they are truly frozen, but you won't be able to use them.

Quite some time ago users asked for a shortcut to freeze/unfreeze pre-selected apps that could be added to the launcher. You could use that to ensure those selected apps never run unless you want them to. Very effective in most cases.
My understanding, which I am not saying is correct, is that there are two states as you say, stopped and disabled, but stopped is considered to be frozen, rather than disabled being considered frozen.

A disabled app, as you say, can't be run and it's icon is not visible. On a non-root phone, the only way to disable an app is to use ADB or an app designed for that purpose that you grant Device Owner status (which can be a pain).

I use an app on F-Droid, SuperFreezZ App stopper (Entirely freeze all background activities of apps.), which says it works the same as Greenify. I discovered that if I force stop an app, it is listed in SuperFreezZ as frozen (not disabled, as I think you misunderstood). This is where I got my impression that force stopping equals freezing and discovered why apps that I had force stopped would not run in the background until I started them again. For me at least, it was important to understand that force stopping an app didn't just stop it for "now" to release memory, but would prevent it from running until I ran it again (or restarted for apps that start on boot, I believe, but I could be confused about that)... so I have to be more careful about what I force stop, especially if I don't plan to restart immediately.

Samsung phones have an app called Device Care which tells you that you it can free up memory by stopping background apps that "haven't been used recently". These are mostly system apps that can restart themselves I believe, since they aren't being disabled, but it gives no indication that if it stops a user app, that app will be "frozen".

On my rooted phone, Titanium Backup would do what it called "freeze" apps, but that was actually disabling them I believe. So the meaning of "freezing" becomes confusing.

UPDATE: I am going to leave what I already typed above, because it illustrates my confusion over this issue. I just had something happen that I have seen happen before, but hadn't thought about enough and really confuses me.

I attempted to run an app on my phone and it kept crashing immediately. My first thought was to try to download it from the Play Store again. The Play Store, instead of giving me the option to uninstall or open it, as it usually would, gave me the option to enable it. I checked in SuperFreezZ and it was listed as frozen. Running it was not "unfreezing" it.

After I enabled it in the Play Store, an update was immediately available, so it was being kept from updating as well. This app was not disabled and was still visible in my app drawer. I have a non-rooted phone, so SuperFreezZ would not be able to disable it anyway. I checked it in CCSWE (Device Owner version) and it wasn't listed as disabled and I know I hadn't disabled it anyway.

I checked some other apps that were listed as frozen in SuperFreezZ and some gave me an enable option in the Play Store and would not run and others did not and would run.

So this is VERY confusing, but reinforces why I was thinking that force stopping an app is potentially very dangerous, unless you really want to FREEZE it.

But why does there seem to be two "frozen" states, one that won't run on its own but is still "enabled" and another which is functionally "disabled", but still visible in the app drawer, unlike a true "disabled" app?

I have attempted to ask the devs of SuperFreezZ similar questions on GitLab.

UPDATE 2: Another related question has occurred to me. The system of my Samsung Galaxy S10e phone can put apps to sleep or to deep sleep. It defines sleep as, "These apps won't run in the background. They may not receive updates or send notifications." Deep sleep is defined as, "Deep sleeping apps will never run in the background. They'll only work when you run them." So this seems to be three states, sleeping, deep sleeping and disabled, and which of the three is considered frozen? I'm not really sure the definitions of sleeping and deep sleeping are actually different, other than the fact that sleeping apps MIGHT recieved updates and/or send notifications, while deep sleeping apps WON'T. which is a pretty odd distinction.

Last edited:

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
My understanding, which I am not saying is correct, is that there are two states as you say, stopped and disabled, but stopped is considered to be frozen, rather than disabled being considered frozen.

A disabled app, as you say, can't be run and it's icon is not visible. On a non-root phone, the only way to disable an app is to use ADB or an app designed for that purpose that you grant Device Owner status (which can be a pain).

I use an app on F-Droid, SuperFreezZ App stopper (Entirely freeze all background activities of apps.), which says it works the same as Greenify. I discovered that if I force stop an app, it is listed in SuperFreezZ as frozen (not disabled, as I think you misunderstood). This is where I got my impression that force stopping equals freezing and discovered why apps that I had force stopped would not run in the background until I started them again. For me at least, it was important to understand that force stopping an app didn't just stop it for "now" to release memory, but would prevent it from running until I ran it again (or restarted for apps that start on boot, I believe, but I could be confused about that)... so I have to be more careful about what I force stop, especially if I don't plan to restart immediately.

Samsung phones have an app called Device Care which tells you that you it can free up memory by stopping background apps that "haven't been used recently". These are mostly system apps that can restart themselves I believe, since they aren't being disabled, but it gives no indication that if it stops a user app, that app will be "frozen".

On my rooted phone, Titanium Backup would do what it called "freeze" apps, but that was actually disabling them I believe. So the meaning of "freezing" becomes confusing.

UPDATE: I am going to leave what I already typed above, because it illustrates my confusion over this issue. I just had something happen that I have seen happen before, but hadn't thought about enough and really confuses me.

I attempted to run an app on my phone and it kept crashing immediately. My first thought was to try to download it from the Play Store again. The Play Store, instead of giving me the option to uninstall or open it, as it usually would, gave me the option to enable it. I checked in SuperFreezZ and it was listed as frozen. Running it was not "unfreezing" it.

After I enabled it in the Play Store, an update was immediately available, so it was being kept from updating as well. This app was not disabled and was still visible in my app drawer. I have a non-rooted phone, so SuperFreezZ would not be able to disable it anyway. I checked it in CCSWE (Device Owner version) and it wasn't listed as disabled and I know I hadn't disabled it anyway.

I checked some other apps that were listed as frozen in SuperFreezZ and some gave me an enable option in the Play Store and would not run and others did not and would run.

So this is VERY confusing, but reinforces why I was thinking that force stopping an app is potentially very dangerous, unless you really want to FREEZE it.

But why does there seem to be two "frozen" states, one that won't run on its own but is still "enabled" and another which is functionally "disabled", but still visible in the app drawer, unlike a true "disabled" app?

I have attempted to ask the devs of SuperFreezZ similar questions on GitLab.

UPDATE 2: Another related question has occurred to me. The system of my Samsung Galaxy S10e phone can put apps to sleep or to deep sleep. It defines sleep as, "These apps won't run in the background. They may not receive updates or send notifications." Deep sleep is defined as, "Deep sleeping apps will never run in the background. They'll only work when you run them." So this seems to be three states, sleeping, deep sleeping and disabled, and which of the three is considered frozen? I'm not really sure the definitions of sleeping and deep sleeping are actually different, other than the fact that sleeping apps MIGHT recieved updates and/or send notifications, while deep sleeping apps WON'T. which is a pretty odd distinction.

Like TiBu, my app uses "freeze" meaning "disabled" in OS terms. It's just the SuperFreezZ app Stopper that's mixing both terms in the most confusing way (IMO). Just so that they get better listing/views on Play Store.

It works the same as Greenify or my app on non rooted devices. However it definitely doesn't work like it or my app on rooted devices.

Stopped (short for Force-stopped) and frozen (replacement for disabled) are 2 OS states that exists on all Android devices, rooted or not. Those are available in Android settings, app's management, app's detail pages.

Now, what you mention about Samsung sleep and deep sleep are actually Samsung's implementation of my app's crystallize or the greenified state, which simply put prevent apps from running in background, without preventing user to use them. My app offer 3 ways to crystallize: never run in background whatsoever, may run in background if used until screen goes off and may run in background when used only.

Force-stop is a good way to prevent most apps from running in background, except that it's not 100% reliable (to put it simply), so it's safer to use than disabling (freezing) which will prevent you from using the app.

Crystallizing apps is very complex to implement by third party apps (unless using Xposed), but is a great way to prevent apps from running in background and can save some battery time if used correctly.

That said, force-stop does a great job in most cases, except on Google (or manufacturers) apps, which in my experience are always the ones draining the battery in standby. Hence the crystallize (deep sleep) feature in my app.

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Apps & Games
Like TiBu, my app uses "freeze" meaning "disabled" in OS terms. It's just the SuperFreezZ app Stopper that's mixing both terms in the most confusing way (IMO). Just so that they get better listing/views on Play Store.

It works the same as Greenify or my app on non rooted devices. However it definitely doesn't work like it or my app on rooted devices.

Stopped (short for Force-stopped) and frozen (replacement for disabled) are 2 OS states that exists on all Android devices, rooted or not. Those are available in Android settings, app's management, app's detail pages.

Now, what you mention about Samsung sleep and deep sleep are actually Samsung's implementation of my app's crystallize or the greenified state, which simply put prevent apps from running in background, without preventing user to use them. My app offer 3 ways to crystallize: never run in background whatsoever, may run in background if used until screen goes off and may run in background when used only.

Force-stop is a good way to prevent most apps from running in background, except that it's not 100% reliable (to put it simply), so it's safer to use than disabling (freezing) which will prevent you from using the app.

Crystallizing apps is very complex to implement by third party apps (unless using Xposed), but is a great way to prevent apps from running in background and can save some battery time if used correctly.

That said, force-stop does a great job in most cases, except on Google (or manufacturers) apps, which in my experience are always the ones draining the battery in standby. Hence the crystallize (deep sleep) feature in my app.
I checked with the Dev of SuperFreezZ and he confirmed that SuperFreezZ just force stops apps. He says this is the same thing that Greenify does, but I don't know (I know Greenify has different levels of hibernation though).

Upon further investigation, I found that the Samsung deep sleep is actually disabling the user apps. They are still visible in the app drawer, but offer the option to enable them on the Play Store or turn them on in the system app manager. This, as you say, seems to be 3C Toolbox's crystallize state. These, along with force stopped apps, are listed in SuperFreezZ as frozen.

The odd thing is that last night, when I tried run deep sleeping apps, they would either immediately crash, or freeze up when loading (which is why I started trying to find out what was happening). This is not good, because the Samsung system will put unused apps into this state unless they are manually excluded. Today, however, if I run a deep sleeping app, they seem to run fine and are removed from the deep sleeping state.

I don't have the crystallize option in 3C. The docs say it requires the Xposed Framework or enabled (default) system logs. Other than being rooted, does this mean the 3C Companion App would be required?

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
I checked with the Dev of SuperFreezZ and he confirmed that SuperFreezZ just force stops apps. He says this is the same thing that Greenify does, but I don't know (I know Greenify has different levels of hibernation though).

Upon further investigation, I found that the Samsung deep sleep is actually disabling the user apps. They are still visible in the app drawer, but offer the option to enable them on the Play Store or turn them on in the system app manager. This, as you say, seems to be 3C Toolbox's crystallize state. These, along with force stopped apps, are listed in SuperFreezZ as frozen.

The odd thing is that last night, when I tried run deep sleeping apps, they would either immediately crash, or freeze up when loading (which is why I started trying to find out what was happening). This is not good, because the Samsung system will put unused apps into this state unless they are manually excluded. Today, however, if I run a deep sleeping app, they seem to run fine and are removed from the deep sleeping state.

I don't have the crystallize option in 3C. The docs say it requires the Xposed Framework or enabled (default) system logs. Other than being rooted, does this mean the 3C Companion App would be required?
Yes greenify does force-stop apps when not rooted.

Using 3C Companion will definitely enable a lot of features including a "clean" force-stop, and crystallize (got to double-check though) amongst other things. My favorite these days is the uninstall system apps that allows debloating a device effectively.

As for all manufacturers adding their own s**t optimizations on top of Google's doze, it's all just crap. I tested my app just showing % in notification, it ended-up being disabled by OS because I didn't open the UI often enough!
The worst of all is that an app can request to be excluded from optimizations, but manufacturers don't tell users that it's not excluded from their own optimizations! They don't tell users that their optimizations brings no benefit either (IMO)!

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Apps & Games
Yes greenify does force-stop apps when not rooted.

Using 3C Companion will definitely enable a lot of features including a "clean" force-stop, and crystallize (got to double-check though) amongst other things. My favorite these days is the uninstall system apps that allows debloating a device effectively.

As for all manufacturers adding their own s**t optimizations on top of Google's doze, it's all just crap. I tested my app just showing % in notification, it ended-up being disabled by OS because I didn't open the UI often enough!
The worst of all is that an app can request to be excluded from optimizations, but manufacturers don't tell users that it's not excluded from their own optimizations! They don't tell users that their optimizations brings no benefit either (IMO)!
I definitely agree with what you are saying about manufacturer optimizations. On my Samsung there are particularly so many battery optimizations in so many places that excluding apps from optimization is a struggle. My phone does get a score of 100% from the Don'tKillMyApp app, but unfortunately that seems to focus only on battery optimization issues, because since upgrading to Android 11, I am having EXTREME issues with background apps being closed due to memory issues rather than battery issues, which is why I am killing apps so often.

Today, the 3C task manager was reporting 60 non-excluded apps running. Using the task manager accessibility method, it took 4 times to kill all the apps, except for 2 that were still running after 8 times. I successfully killed one of them manually, the other one, MiXplorer, I could watch restart itself no matter how many times I manually killed it. You say that an app should not restart after being killed twice. This is why, at least on my phone, I believe something isn't working correctly with the task manager, but it isn't working manually either.

F308

Feb 25, 2013
EU
You say that an app should not restart after being killed twice.

I apologize for jumping into middle of discussion, but it is rather not realistic to read 70+ pages of thread.

The above may happen for a reason.
In Linux init there exists behavior definition called respawn.
Such program or application after being observed dead is launched again.
System cares of that.
You may watch for pid to know it is new instance.
It differs from the one which was killed.

For myself I like 3C, I bought it and years ago I even had it's grandfather, 3C System Tuner Pro, checked version - it is 3.20.8.
Still alive on other phone.
It was too complicated to migrate from it to 3C All-in-One Toolbox then I bought current one.

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Apps & Games
I apologize for jumping into middle of discussion, but it is rather not realistic to read 70+ pages of thread.

The above may happen for a reason.
In Linux init there exists behavior definition called respawn.
Such program or application after being observed dead is launched again.
System cares of that.
You may watch for pid to know it is new instance.
It differs from the one which was killed.

For myself I like 3C, I bought it and years ago I even had it's grandfather, 3C System Tuner Pro, checked version - it is 3.20.8.
Still alive on other phone.
It was too complicated to migrate from it to 3C All-in-One Toolbox then I bought current one.
Thanks for the info I agree that it is unrealistic to read a massive number of pages if you haven't read the thread for a while, plus the new XDA search function is not the best.

I was also a user of 3C System Tuner Pro.

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Apps & Games
@3c , thanks for adding the double kill option to the task manager. On my first attempt using it, all of my apps were killed, which is the first time I have seen that, even if I was running it twice.

I just noticed the option to auto kill apps if memory is low. How is low memory defined? I enabled it and will be very interested to see how it functions on my phone with Android 11 memory issues.

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
@3c , thanks for adding the double kill option to the task manager. On my first attempt using it, all of my apps were killed, which is the first time I have seen that, even if I was running it twice.

I just noticed the option to auto kill apps if memory is low. How is low memory defined? I enabled it and will be very interested to see how it functions on my phone with Android 11 memory issues.
Hard to tell exactly what low memory condition means. It's defined by Android OS and used to be based on OOM settings, which since Android 11 are no longer available in a file. However it still works more or less the same way.

OOM defines groups of apps, like system, foreground, visible, content provider, background services, etc.
It also defines minimum memory available before it starts killing apps from each group.

For example, one large memory models, it'll try to keep 512MB, and if it goes lower it will start killing apps from the less visible groups, eg background services.

Now it's quite unclear when an app will receive the low memory message. I suspect it'll get that message when the memory goes lower than a specific value assigned to the group it is currently running in.

If the group running the toolbox is affected, enabling that option will kill all included apps from task manager.

Reactions: rsngfrce

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Apps & Games
Hard to tell exactly what low memory condition means. It's defined by Android OS and used to be based on OOM settings, which since Android 11 are no longer available in a file. However it still works more or less the same way.

OOM defines groups of apps, like system, foreground, visible, content provider, background services, etc.
It also defines minimum memory available before it starts killing apps from each group.

For example, one large memory models, it'll try to keep 512MB, and if it goes lower it will start killing apps from the less visible groups, eg background services.

Now it's quite unclear when an app will receive the low memory message. I suspect it'll get that message when the memory goes lower than a specific value assigned to the group it is currently running in.

If the group running the toolbox is affected, enabling that option will kill all included apps from task manager.
Thanks. I remember experimenting adjusting the OOM groups with 3C Toolbox on my old rooted phone.

I found out how the auto-kill on low memory works on my phone and it was just as I feared. I was playing a game (nothing intense) and the task killer suddenly started running and killed the game I was playing (along with the other non-excluded apps). I don't know if this is the expected Behavior, it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't work correctly on my phone due to the memory issues. Obviously I guess, I could have excluded this game, but this is exactly the kind of thing that is residing in memory when I am not playing it that I want killed when the memory is low... but not while playing it. Shouldn't it be protected as a foreground app, or is that irrelevant to the task killer (because it becomes the foreground app)?

The task killer just started again while I was typing this and killed three apps. If I am having a low memory condition with only three non-excluded apps running, I think that illustrates the memory issue I am having on Android 11 (unless I have too many excluded apps).

(STANDARD DISCLAIMER: The above text was entered using the horrific Google speech-to-text service. Please excuse any random capitalization, improper grammer, nonsensical phrases or random "oh" 's)

Update: Yeah, I was just in the middle of typing a long message on Discord when the task killer auto-started again, so I lost everything. I' ve disabled the auto-kill on low memory, I can't imagine obviously that this is how you intend it to work or how it works for others.

Last edited:

bege10

May 26, 2018
Germany
I keep a spare device up to date with the data from my daily device by syncing among others the app backups.
Now what is the best way to transfer the Toolbox app manager settings to the other device? And which settings are included in the backup?

bege10

May 26, 2018
Germany
In backup settings of app manager, please, add a confirmation if changing settings for all apps.
I just worked 1 hour to change the settings and by mistake tapped once on all apps instead of app alone. Now I can begin again.

Edit: Additionally to "Import App Settings" in Help and Support.

Last edited:

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
In backup settings of app manager, please, add a confirmation if changing settings for all apps.
I just worked 1 hour to change the settings and by mistake tapped once on all apps instead of app alone. Now I can begin again.

Edit: Additionally to "Import App Settings" in Help and Support.
You mean a confirmation in both backup settings and when importing app settings?
Note that such will have a 'do not ask again' checkbox, which if ticked will be as "usual".

I keep a spare device up to date with the data from my daily device by syncing among others the app backups.
Now what is the best way to transfer the Toolbox app manager settings to the other device? And which settings are included in the backup?
You can either use the standard backup/restore, it works on toolbox itself. Or manual import/export from settings.

bege10

May 26, 2018
Germany
You mean a confirmation in both backup settings and when importing app settings?
Note that such will have a 'do not ask again' checkbox, which if ticked will be as "usual".
Yes, exactly, that will be very helpful against mistakes as happened to me. In backup settings only if one chooses "all apps".
You can either use the standard backup/restore, it works on toolbox itself. Or manual import/export from settings.
Which settings are backed up/restored in these ways? Or which ones are not? As far as I see the tags are in every folder of a backup version, so they are not stored in the Toolbox but in separate files. Are there any other settings that are not backed up? Can you add a dialog to import to choose the settings to import, e.g. deselect scheduled tasks?

bege10

May 26, 2018
Germany
On the two phones where I use the Toolbox I noticed that on one phone within the app manager I see the tags from the file in the latest backup folder of every app, on the other phone the tags of the latest but one backup folder. This may come because I synchronize the backups of both phones. This means that synchronization may add a backup folder, not the app manager itself. Same with the tags file.
Is there a reason that you store the tags in every version rather than only in the main backup folder of every app? I cannot think of a scenario where I need different tags for different app versions. Only one tags file would remove this inconsistency.

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
Yes, exactly, that will be very helpful against mistakes as happened to me. In backup settings only if one chooses "all apps".

Which settings are backed up/restored in these ways? Or which ones are not? As far as I see the tags are in every folder of a backup version, so they are not stored in the Toolbox but in separate files. Are there any other settings that are not backed up? Can you add a dialog to import to choose the settings to import, e.g. deselect scheduled tasks?

Warning/confirmation will be added in next update.

Everything from /data/data/<app_folder> and /sdcard/Android/data/<app_folder> folders is backed-up. Including saved tags for live apps.

Backups are also saving tags for the purpose of restoring in case toolbox's settings is not restored, hence tags are restored from backup if needed.

On the two phones where I use the Toolbox I noticed that on one phone within the app manager I see the tags from the file in the latest backup folder of every app, on the other phone the tags of the latest but one backup folder. This may come because I synchronize the backups of both phones. This means that synchronization may add a backup folder, not the app manager itself. Same with the tags file.
Is there a reason that you store the tags in every version rather than only in the main backup folder of every app? I cannot think of a scenario where I need different tags for different app versions. Only one tags file would remove this inconsistency.

Because restoring will restore a version and I won't bother read multi-level folders. If tags are different in an older version, those tags get restored. Some users want it that way too.

If you synchronize 2 phones, I'm sure you use the same version, hence will get the same tags. Nevertheless tags are saved in toolbox's settings as well, as explained above. Backup tags are there for users restoring apps without restoring toolbox.

Reactions: bege10

bege10

May 26, 2018
Germany
Warning/confirmation will be added in next update.
Thank you very much.
Because restoring will restore a version and I won't bother read multi-level folders. If tags are different in an older version, those tags get restored. Some users want it that way too.
So if I restore an older version because the current one is buggy I will restore the old tags also. Are you sure that this is what most 3C Toolbox users want? I definitely don't want to restore old tags.

bege10

May 26, 2018
Germany
Hello,
when I change the state of an app component (service, provider ...) in the Toolbox the App Manager io.github.muntashirakon.AppManager (F-Droid) immediately shows the new state. But it doesn't work vice versa, 3C Toolbox only shows the state set in the Toolbox itself.
Can you, please, show the real state in the Toolbox also?
Thank you very much.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2.9.3d if select cpu frequence 1 or 2 in chart widget it will automatically turn off double chart, is this bug?
    Indeed that's a bug, should be fixed in 2.9.3e being published.
    3C toolbox 2.9.3 system uptime in widget shows cpu frequence also cant show in double chart
    This will be fixed in 2.9.3d, but you'll have to edit widget configuration to show the option you want. There's been an overlap in data configuration causing this.
    Beta version 2.9.3e is still under review by Google, hopefully they'll release it pretty soon.

In the mean-time I won't be available next week, back on the 27th, so hopefully I didn't introduce new bugs. I'll move the version in production by then if all checks out.
    This will be fixed in 2.9.3d, but you'll have to edit widget configuration to show the option you want. There's been an overlap in data configuration causing this.
    Thank you.
    [APP 4.1+] 3C All-in-One Toolbox

3C Toolbox, available on Play Store and XDA Labs is the most comprehensive must-have toolbox for Android version 4.1 and above, running any ROM or kernel. Issues, suggestions, feature requests, please make sure to read post #2.

This app includes all features delivered separately in below apps. This is the result of many years of work to bring all features together in an easy-to-use giant toolbox, and it includes the features of many other apps, including Titanium Backup, Greenify, BetterBatteryStats, App2SD, Seeder, ROM Toolbox Pro, SetCPU, System Panel, Root Explorer, Autorun Manager, Terminal Emulator, Script Editor, SD Booster, BuildProp Editor, ATK and so much more.

What is 3C Toolbox Replaces 20+ apps easily worth 30€ for the price of a couple of beers!

Download link Play Store XDA Labs

Can take advantage of the following apps (not integrated because of policy restrictions from Play Store):

3C Sensitive Backup - Allows backup/restore of SMS/MMS and call-log, can work with 3C Toolbox to schedule backups.

3C Legacty Battery Stats - Allows reading Android legacy battery statistics

Non-exhaustive list of integrated apps and features :

3C CPU Manager (root) - CPU/GPU controls for root users

3C Kernel Tweaker (root) - Kernel tweaking for root users

3C Task Manager - A simple yet powerful task manager for Android

3C Task Recorder - A simple yet powerful task recorder for Android

3C Log Reader - A simple log reader allowing you to read logcat, kernel and xposed logs from a single place

3C Explorer - This is a very simple file explorer for Android

3C Toggles - Highly customizable widgets to control about 30 system components.

3C Battery Monitor - The most complete tool to monitor your battery, have no equal on Play Store.

3C Network Manager - Monitor trafic and control network configurations

3C Apps Manager - The most complete app manager to backup/restore/control all your apps

3C SQLite Manager - A simple SQLite editor

More information

App Features

App screenshots

3C Apps Feature Comparison

Lowest CPU consumption on Play Store

Permissions requested

Getting started guide

Online help

Unique features not available elsewhere

Track your ROM, kernel and battery performance (%/h or mA, screen on or standby)
    ◊ Battery milli-amp (mA), mW and %/h consumption reporting
    ◊ Automatic backup of installed and updated applications
    ◊ Highly configurable textual and graphical monitoring widgets
    ◊ The most advanced and configurable UI
    ◊ Clean and safe reboots, without data loss (root required)
    ◊ And much more
    FAQ and guidelines for any queries

Before you put a bad rating on Play Store for a single broken feature among the 100 the app delivers, and before you contact me (or post here), you may consider the following:
    3C Toolbox runs on hundreds of devices and custom ROMs, I cannot test all of them, however I try to change device regularly to ensure the app is compatible with all devices, please check my signature.

◊ 3C Toolbox and its derived apps are, at the time of writing, used by more than half a million users and 3C Toolbox Pro is rated 4.8/5 by about 3000 users.

◊ 3C Toolbox runs on Android 4.x and above, I always have at least one device running 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, 7.x and 8.x to avoid issues, however I may miss some key differences from time to time, possibly causing the app to crash or a feature to malfunction.

◊ 3C Toolbox is not a game relying on well established documentation, but an advanced toolbox which uses some undocumented features, which have evolved along with each version of Android. Even some documented features had to be adapted to newer Android versions.

◊ 3C Toolbox provides milli-Ampere data for your battery either provided by Android OS or estimated by the app when there is no current sensor. Hardware current sensor can sometimes report inaccurate or no data at all. It's impossible to predict how the next device will report milli-Ampere if it does at all.

◊ I'm a human being, not a service center, not a big corporate. Like any other human being I don't like being bashed or insulted by email or anywhere else and will no longer waste my time for anyone doing so.
    Why such guidelines?
    - You want new features and improvements as soon as possible?
    - You want a quick solution to a problem?
    - You don't want to waste your time explaining?

Me too, that's that simple.
    Feature requests?
    Please explain using as few words as it's possible and join a screenshot if it applies to an existing feature. Pictures speaks 1000 words they say, maybe.
    Issues with CPU temperature or battery current mA or capacity mAh?
    Please explain this in a support request sent from app settings, help and support so I can provide the appropriate option to use in 'mA retrieval method' of battery / monitoring settings and add out-of-the-box support for your device. All necessary information is provided in the request's attachments.

Battery current mA and CPU temperature are non standard on Android and every devices/manufacturers provides it differently or not at all. Don't blame the app if your device doesn't provide it or report inconsistent values, ask your manufacturer which get paid lots of bucks.
    Issues with GPU tab missing features?
    GPU configuration is not something standard on Android, and there are currently 10+ implementations available. If you miss something, please send a support request from app settings, help and support mentioning what's missing and a screenshot of each GPU tabs.
    How to get support for any other issues
    Please send a support request from app settings, help and support. You need to clearly explain your issue, attach any relevant screenshots showing where and how the issue occurs. I will not provide any support here.

The idea is that you explain the observed issue, possibly add a screenshot so that I know exactly where to look (app has 100+ screens and sometimes words don't mean the same for you and me), from there I can really do a good job at helping you. You want my help, do it the right way or simply don't.

The support requests contains the following (you can check the content before sending). Privacy policy is available here.

◊ Battery technical details as available on device
    ◊ Battery history recorded (last 100 records)
    ◊ CPU technical details as available on device
    ◊ SD mount points (to help identify unsupported SD locations)
    ◊ Previous visible and internal crash reports (FC)
    ◊ Process running (to identify possible conflicts)
    ◊ App configuration (version number, type and mA retrieval method in use)
    ◊ Android configuration (version, security settings, ROM, kernel)

You've read all this? I thank you for your time and hope you enjoy my apps.
    Future plans

Here is what I'm working on or planning next:

• Improve ROM Manager with extra features.
    • Improve Battery Manager status tab and displayed data
    • Add tabs to App Manager (protect, debloat, crystallize, others?)
    • Add 'optimize' tab to System Manager for memory/storage
    • Improve file manager with swipe left-right and new tab options
    • Improve Terminal Emulator with real terminal display.
    • Improve UI, suggestions most welcome.
    • Removing all ads to see if it brings any positive results (currently testing on 3C Toolbox).
    • Add PayPal to XDA Labs apps if possible.

This is my current objectives:
    • Increase user support from Play Store, Huawei AppGallery or XDA Labs
    • Get XDA Labs apps Google-free (using PayPal)
    Recent Update - Mea Culpa

You have certainly noticed the recent updates that is supposed to improve root handling in my apps, and might have experienced issues.

Why make such change

In versions before 1.6.12, the app was using a very common root method, using scripts and Android commands. Each action was taking 120ms just to get started. Some features like app manager and explorer run a lot of them. With Marshmallow, there's even a bug that cause determining path to fail and require root, slowing down everything a lot.

I started testing a shared library in 1.6.12 that would run root commands directly without this 120ms overhead and it worked really well, running some commands in 1ms instead!

In 1.7, I've started 'migrating' all root features to this new method, always implementing a fall-back in case something went wrong. That didn't work so well in the end.

What went wrong?

To make it short, I was testing this new method on a few devices, running Android 6.0.1, 5.1, 4.4 and supposedly 2.3 but it was running 4.1.2. You can imagine easily how misleading this was!

I learned that Samsung devices had special security constraints that made some commands fail completely and prevented the fallback to take place.

At the same time, Xposed module was reported to fail on Marshmallow because of new security policies. Had to change everything because of that!

Then the APK build process was no longer building the x64 versions anymore.

What's next

I'm still receiving reports of various issues on different versions of Android that I will have to address in the next few days/weeks.

Android N is coming with new security restrictions that will require further changes, but this new root method is already taking care of that.

Did I make a bad decision?

No. Since Android implemented SELinux security policies in 4.2/4.3, each new version of Android has required many internal changes to keep features working, and its getting worse with M and now N.

This new method not only offers much better performance but also requires much less workaround to keep working.

Yes, I made a mistake. After hours of working nights and week-ends, it was still not ready for public release as I thought.

What went even more wrong?

In my desire to offer the best experience possible, I published fixes too quickly and instead of stabilizing stuff, I've only made it worse.

Long story short

I'm sorry for any inconveniences you might have experienced, and I'll do my best to make it better asap.

Want to help?

If you experience any issues and want to help, please send a support request from app settings, help and support, mentioning what happens and possibly screenshot for my understanding.

The support request provides valuable information on the Android version, app logs, Xposed version if installed, app config, etc... Much needed so that I can investigate the issue with similar environment, otherwise I might be testing on a dozen devices without reproducing the issue.

I can then send you an updated APK with a fix or with active debug if I can't pin-point the problem on my test devices.

FWIW: Version 1.7 was addressing a number of issues in previous versions and I did hope it would make users happy with some nice improvements. My bad.
    3C Task Manager 3.0 (beta)

Dear users,

I've updated (in beta) 3C Task Manager with the new project/build structure. APK size is reduced by 15% while delivering more features. Future maintenance will also be much easier.
    3C Task Manager is now capable of managing app's components (activities, services, etc...) and also to renice (Linux priority scheduling) processes (optionally using Xposed for efficiency).
    On rooted device, the app will also be able to use 3C Explorer to open an app's data folder or 3C Log Reader to get app's logs.

This new build allows me to reduce development and maintenance times greatly when publishing apps other than the Toolbox.

A lot of refactoring and splitting took place, allowing to build other apps (with similar look'n'feel) faster too, namely the SMS/Call-log backups that's now missing in the toolbox (due to Play Store restrictions).

Next steps include:
    • Building an SMS/Call-log backup companion app and link it to the toolbox.
    • Adding full SAF / Content Provider support to Explorer
    • Allowing browsing network shares through Explorer's SAF / Content Provider
    • Adding app labeling in Apps Manager.
    • Rebuilding other apps (Battery Monitor, Toggles)
    • Creating 3C App Manager