• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

[APP][4.0+] Andrognito 3 - Hide Files, Photos, Videos Easily & Securely in Android

What Android version are you using?

• Total voters

ravian29

Jan 23, 2011
Does it matter?
@aritraroy mate today i was playing with encrypted files and i opened backed up setting and databases, i opened files in text editor but i am shocked to see it has encrypted files names with its path on sdcard for all the files and vaults. Another file have all the vaults info in it. Here is an screenshot how it looks

I am sure if i use database manager to check i can get a lot more information of data saved in vaults, for such a highly secure and encrypted application this is a loophole which anyone can use to get info about vaults and data inside. Can you please make it possible to auto encrypt these backup files as well?

Sent from my SM-N9005

aritraroy

Jun 13, 2013
Kolkata
blog.aritraroy.in
@aritraroy thanks a lot for your appriciation mate,

2. Yes that would also be great because it would iliminate extra steps to hide or show menu

3. Yes actually it would be alternative to truecrypt or boxcrypt to encrypt and decrypt on any device ( yes you are right after enhanching this apps functionality other platforms can be done later)

4. For problems in functionality, yes i have single problem. I am on deodexd rom but when i try to odex this app and run, app never loads vaults and stays on loading " retriving files from vaults" and never goes ahead.

Rating in google play store is done. Thanks again for considering my views

Sent from my SM-N9005
Thanks again for your amazing support.

2. Yes, it will be up very soon.

3. This is an amazing idea I must say. But I will be doing it after I improve this app with more essential features and perfect it in every aspect.

4. I understand this problem. Can you please try to reproduce this problem in the latest version of the app? Do let me know if it persists, we will be improving it further. :)

Thanks again. Glad to have support from such a nice user like you. :eek:

aritraroy

Jun 13, 2013
Kolkata
blog.aritraroy.in
Thanks for your kind words. :D
Awesome apps deserve a good rating. ;)

I'm totally okay w/ the currnt desogn, but a Theme Manger would be a very nice to have feature.

I'm still on KitKat (ArchiDroid v3.0.2), 'cause no LP-ROM fits my needs, yet. But I consider to switch to Archis LP-ROM.

. : Sent via Samsung Galaxy S3 w/ Tapatalk : .
Thanks a lot. Glad to have such cooperative users. :)

We will be adding the Theme Manager soon, which will give immense control on the look & feel of the app. Do try it on Lollipop, it looks awesome with all animations working perfectly. I am sure you will find a good Lollipop ROM to suit your needs. :)

Btw, does the app run smoothly in your device and your current ROM? I mean, while navigating through it, encrypting & decrypting files, previewing files? I need some feedback so that I can optimize if further. :cowboy:

aritraroy

Jun 13, 2013
Kolkata
blog.aritraroy.in
@aritraroy mate today i was playing with encrypted files and i opened backed up setting and databases, i opened files in text editor but i am shocked to see it has encrypted files names with its path on sdcard for all the files and vaults. Another file have all the vaults info in it. Here is an screenshot how it looks

I am sure if i use database manager to check i can get a lot more information of data saved in vaults, for such a highly secure and encrypted application this is a loophole which anyone can use to get info about vaults and data inside. Can you please make it possible to auto encrypt these backup files as well?

Sent from my SM-N9005
This is an intelligent find I must say. But I can assure you that this is not any kind of loophole in any way. We could have encrypted the databases as well but we didn't because the encrypted file names don't give anyway to decrypt the actual files.

It is virtually impossible to crack the application or decrypt the files without using the application. We can encrypt the databases too, but it can make it a bit slower? So what do you prefer personally? :cowboy:

Reactions: ravian29

ravian29

Jan 23, 2011
Does it matter?
This is an intelligent find I must say. But I can assure you that this is not any kind of loophole in any way. We could have encrypted the databases as well but we didn't because the encrypted file names don't give anyway to decrypt the actual files.

It is virtually impossible to crack the application or decrypt the files without using the application. We can encrypt the databases too, but it can make it a bit slower? So what do you prefer personally? :cowboy:
Thanks a lot for your appreciation, in my opinion names does not matter because the purpose of this application is to encrypt sensitive data to restrict access so giving clue about the data will increase the risk of leaking ( at least idea about the nature of the data like inside vault is movies, pics or documents etc). I think encrypting database as well would be great :silly:

Reactions: cyberpunk627

aritraroy

Jun 13, 2013
Kolkata
blog.aritraroy.in
Thanks a lot for your appreciation, in my opinion names does not matter because the purpose of this application is to encrypt sensitive data to restrict access so giving clue about the data will increase the risk of leaking ( at least idea about the nature of the data like inside vault is movies, pics or documents etc). I think encrypting database as well would be great :silly:
Yes, that is something that I think too. Will be encrypting the databases soon.

Can you please check two things for me, I got some reports that they are not working?

1) Please check if you can sort items by date. I mean one user reported that the app is getting crashed when sorting by date, but unfortunately I can't reproduce this.

2) Some users have reported that TimelyPIN is not working for them? But it works perfectly for me, can you have a check on this and let me know?

3) Some users have reported that after turning on "Stealth Mode" they are unable to login to the app even by their original PIN. Please try this.

NOTE - I recommend to unhide the files and try these as in case while trying no. 3 if you are unable to login, then you may loose your files.

I also request other users @d0pecr4wler @Sachitoge @Celestial Fury and anyone else seeing this to try and help on on this if possible. Thanks in advance.

ravian29

Jan 23, 2011
Does it matter?

Can you please check two things for me, I got some reports that they are not working?

1) Please check if you can sort items by date. I mean one user reported that the app is getting crashed when sorting by date, but unfortunately I can't reproduce this.

2) Some users have reported that TimelyPIN is not working for them? But it works perfectly for me, can you have a check on this and let me know?

3) Some users have reported that after turning on "Stealth Mode" they are unable to login to the app even by their original PIN. Please try this.

NOTE - I recommend to unhide the files and try these as in case while trying no. 3 if you are unable to login, then you may loose your files.

I also request other users @d0pecr4wler @Sachitoge @Celestial Fury and anyone else seeing this to try and help on on this if possible. Thanks in advance.
sure, more than happy to help you here, i am also facing these problems but did not report them because i thought i am the one having them and will be fixed in new updates

1. arranging by date works for me but after closing the app or exiting the vault, sorting resets itself and every time i have to sort manually over and over. App does not crash for me and i am also unable to reproduce crash in this case.

2. I am having problem with time pin but in my case Its really very funny, time pin works other than 12 to 1 for both Am and Pm. When time is in between 12:00 to 1:00 (both am or pm) for this one hour i am unable to login using time pin lol other than this time pin works perfect for me. I found an workaround for this one hour that i reset my password every time in this hour to log in.

3. Fake account does not work, does not accept password for fake account but logging in with time pin works fine also changing vaults also works no problems here

If you need more help, i am more than happy to test, please let me know :highfive:

Last edited:

d0pecr4wler

Apr 1, 2012
City 17

Same here.

#1 Sort by date works. No crashes or force closses, but if you close the app or switch the vault,
the sorting resets itself. Sort by Name stays even after closing or switching the vault.

#2 Timely Pin works well for me, too. No problems.

#3 Stealth mode is activated and I can login normally. Only problem is the invisible mode. After the first login via dialer,
the app won't open if I try to »phone« my pin.

synesthesiac

Dec 17, 2013
Lost Picture

Hi. Just started using the app, and it seems to have eaten a picture on me. I have one vault, with three pictures in it, and after restoring the app through Titanium Backup, one picture is gone. Before I switched roms, I both backed up in the app, and copied the folder to my sd card. But when I restore only two pictures show up. The folder still has all three files, and even your app says there are three files in my vault, but only shows to when I enter. Kind of a bummer. Do you have any ideas? Is three any safe way to carry vaults across devices or rom flashes?

Sachitoge

Nov 16, 2014
I myself would say that during backup, make sure you choose safe and best backup on Titanium Backup Settings, i found out it has fast compression, bad, and secure/safe backup, so choose the safe one, or what you can do is, open File Manager, find the name "Andrognito2" or anything like that on your internal SD Card folder (where you see "Android, Downloads, Bluetooth" Folders) and backup that folder, it is the most important files, rest is not important cuz these files & folders have your data stored in it (encrypted ofcourse) so, back them up to External SD Card, and carry it. With Titanium backup, i would suggest you to backup application only (if app gets update, it may decrypt files incorrect, so take the safe way).

On new device, install Andrognito from a new device, and then dont open it, now copy the files you backed up to your External SD Card to Internal SD Card and replace anything in it, then open Andrognito, it will say you have backup file, would you like to restore etc, hit yes or anything similar to it, restore your files and login to ur vault, ur done, it should work problem-free.

Try this with sample files to experiment if you encounter with any data loss

SiNtEnEl

Jun 23, 2007
Hello aritraroy,

Thank you for your great app. I wanted to give you some feedback on your app.

I have found a little annoyance in the first register and vault creation function, on CM12.1 its possible to put <enter> in the input fields.
To switch between those fields i have to escape the keyboard, maybe its nicer to use the <enter> to escape from the input boxes.

Thats it for now, thanks again.

aritraroy

Jun 13, 2013
Kolkata
blog.aritraroy.in
Sorry guys, I was unable to respond to you all as I was out of station for more than a week to attend an important seminar. I have updated the app with some new features and lots and lots of bug fixes and enhancements to improve stability, usability and reliability.

Please update to this new version and let me know if you face any issue at all. Thank you so much. :)

Changes in version 2.0.13

• *NEW* - Swipable image gallery for encrypted as well as normal images
• *NEW* - In-built image viewer for faster and better image viewing
• *FIXED* - Login Lockdown have been improved
• *FIXED* - Timely PIN have been enhanced
• *FIXED* - All sorting filters are now saved
• *FIXED* - Some minor bugs in the Settings module have been fixed

aritraroy

Jun 13, 2013
Kolkata
blog.aritraroy.in
sure, more than happy to help you here, i am also facing these problems but did not report them because i thought i am the one having them and will be fixed in new updates

1. arranging by date works for me but after closing the app or exiting the vault, sorting resets itself and every time i have to sort manually over and over. App does not crash for me and i am also unable to reproduce crash in this case.

2. I am having problem with time pin but in my case Its really very funny, time pin works other than 12 to 1 for both Am and Pm. When time is in between 12:00 to 1:00 (both am or pm) for this one hour i am unable to login using time pin lol other than this time pin works perfect for me. I found an workaround for this one hour that i reset my password every time in this hour to log in.

3. Fake account does not work, does not accept password for fake account but logging in with time pin works fine also changing vaults also works no problems here

If you need more help, i am more than happy to test, please let me know :highfive:
Hi, first of all I am sorry for getting so late. Actually I was out of station to attend an important seminar. Now I have updated the app with new features and all problems fixed.

1) I have fixed this problem when the sorting option gets reset when the app is closed. Now the sorting options will be saved for each and every single section like All files, Images, Videos, etc. Sorting options will be saved for all of the separately. Please check. :)

2) This was also a bug. Thanks for finding it out. We have fixed this one too. Please check if the problem have been resolved for you.

3) Can you try to reproduce the Fake Account problem again. We have make lots of improvements in this area and hope this problem would be solved. Please let me know if it persists.

Do let me know if any of the problem still persists for you or if you face any more problems. Thank you again for your support and cooperation. :)

synesthesiac

Dec 17, 2013
I myself would say that during backup, make sure you choose safe and best backup on Titanium Backup Settings, i found out it has fast compression, bad, and secure/safe backup, so choose the safe one, or what you can do is, open File Manager, find the name "Andrognito2" or anything like that on your internal SD Card folder (where you see "Android, Downloads, Bluetooth" Folders) and backup that folder, it is the most important files, rest is not important cuz these files & folders have your data stored in it (encrypted ofcourse) so, back them up to External SD Card, and carry it. With Titanium backup, i would suggest you to backup application only (if app gets update, it may decrypt files incorrect, so take the safe way).

On new device, install Andrognito from a new device, and then dont open it, now copy the files you backed up to your External SD Card to Internal SD Card and replace anything in it, then open Andrognito, it will say you have backup file, would you like to restore etc, hit yes or anything similar to it, restore your files and login to ur vault, ur done, it should work problem-free.

I copied the whole Andrognito file to my sd before wiping my device. When TB didn't work, I deleted the app and tried by copying the files over, exactly as you said. Still when I open the app, it says I have 3 files in my vault, but only shows two. It says everything is correctly restored, but they are not. It's no big loss on my end, I was really just testing this out. But if I there is no sure fire way to restore a vault after switching devices or roms, I can't do much with this app. Any idea what went wrong? All three picture files are there in my folder, I just can only look at two.

Reactions: aritraroy

ravian29

Jan 23, 2011
Does it matter?
I copied the whole Andrognito file to my sd before wiping my device. When TB didn't work, I deleted the app and tried by copying the files over, exactly as you said. Still when I open the app, it says I have 3 files in my vault, but only shows two. It says everything is correctly restored, but they are not. It's no big loss on my end, I was really just testing this out. But if I there is no sure fire way to restore a vault after switching devices or roms, I can't do much with this app. Any idea what went wrong? All three picture files are there in my folder, I just can only look at two.
May be one picture file is corrupt, can you please add these 3 pictures to new vault and test again. This never happened to me

Sent from my SM-N9005

aritraroy

Jun 13, 2013
Kolkata
blog.aritraroy.in
Same here.

#1 Sort by date works. No crashes or force closses, but if you close the app or switch the vault,
the sorting resets itself. Sort by Name stays even after closing or switching the vault.

#2 Timely Pin works well for me, too. No problems.

#3 Stealth mode is activated and I can login normally. Only problem is the invisible mode. After the first login via dialer,
the app won't open if I try to »phone« my pin.
Thanks for testing. I have pushed a new update with a new features and lots of bug and stability fixes.

1) Now you can have the sorting options saved and loaded the next time you open the app. Please check it. You can also have different sorting choices in different places and everything is saved separately.

2) That's awesome.

3) I haven't found anyone having this problem. I think somehow the app is getting force stopped by any task killer or something. Otherwise there is not reason for the app not to open.

Please check the new swipe to view images in the gallery. Do let me know if you face any kind of problem using it. :eek:

aritraroy

Jun 13, 2013
Kolkata
blog.aritraroy.in
Hi. Just started using the app, and it seems to have eaten a picture on me. I have one vault, with three pictures in it, and after restoring the app through Titanium Backup, one picture is gone. Before I switched roms, I both backed up in the app, and copied the folder to my sd card. But when I restore only two pictures show up. The folder still has all three files, and even your app says there are three files in my vault, but only shows to when I enter. Kind of a bummer. Do you have any ideas? Is three any safe way to carry vaults across devices or rom flashes?
This is really unfortunate. The only thing that I focussed mainly was to improve reliability of the app. As the BETA version was too unreliable.

The good thing was that, I haven't got a single report that any one has lost any file in Andrognito 2. This would be the first report I would say.

I think that while changing ROMS this have haven't somehow. I would request you to check if you can reproduce this again and let us know so that we can improve it.

If you face any more problem, do not hesitate to let us know. We are working hard to make this app PERFECT. :)

d0pecr4wler

Apr 1, 2012
City 17
Thanks for testing. I have pushed a new update with a new features and lots of bug and stability fixes.

1) Now you can have the sorting options saved and loaded the next time you open the app. Please check it. You can also have different sorting choices in different places and everything is saved separately.

2) That's awesome.

3) I haven't found anyone having this problem. I think somehow the app is getting force stopped by any task killer or something. Otherwise there is not reason for the app not to open.

Please check the new swipe to view images in the gallery. Do let me know if you face any kind of problem using it. :eek:
Hey ho,
you app keeps gettin' better and better.

#1 Sorting works perfectly now.

#2 Yeah. :D

#3 It was a task killer, whitelisted the app and now it's working normal.

The gallery/swipe feature is awesome.
Only »problem«, that isn't a real problem at all,
is, that if I open a picture it takes ~6 seconds to close tge picture after I tapped the back button, but maybe it's my phone being too old (Galaxy S3).

That's the only thing I've encountered by now,
the app works like a charm, i love it. ;)

. : Sent via Samsung Galaxy S3 w/ Tapatalk : .

aritraroy

Jun 13, 2013
Kolkata
blog.aritraroy.in

Thanks a lot for such an amazing help. It would really be helpful for a lot of users facing this problem.

Did you try the new swipeable gallery feature in the newest version. Do let me know if you face any issue at all. I am trying my best to make this app better and better and I really appreciate all the help I am getting here.

Have a nice day! :)

aritraroy

Jun 13, 2013
Kolkata
blog.aritraroy.in
Changes in version 2.0.14 (18 Apr, 2015)

This is a major bug fix update guys. We have fixed a lot of bugs to make the app more stable and reliable. It is because of you all that this app is getting better day by day. Thanks a lot. Do report if you find any more bugs. :eek:

• *FIXED* - Crash while switching Vaults
• *FIXED* - Crash while opening certain images types
• *FIXED* - Detects only the suitable apps to open a particular file type
• *FIXED* - Several bugs in Vault settings
• *FIXED* - Rare freeze while decrypting or previewing files
• *FIXED* - Bug while registering new users
• *ENHANCED* - UI improvements with animations
• *ENHANCED* - App opens and works faster than before