• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][4.0+] FineGeotag [1.21 STABLE 20160427] [DISCONTINUED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
play.png

I was not very satisfied with the location my camera application provides for geotagging, so I wrote a little application to automatically geotag photos right after they are taken using a real-time acquired location.

My camera application (stock camera Nexus 5) seems to use the last known location, which could be quite old and miles away from my current location.

FineGeotag will try to acquire an accurate location in real-time and update the Exif location tags of the photos taken.

FineGeotag will try to use the GPS and/or the network location, depending on which location providers are enabled in the Android settings.

Optionally a popup will be shown with a thumbnail of the photo and the reverse geocoded address.

You could use PhotoMap or similar to display geotagged photos on a map.

Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.faircode.finegeotag

More information: https://github.com/M66B/FineGeotag

screenshot.png

XDA:DevDB Information
FineGeotag, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
M66B, M66B
Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/FineGeotag

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.21
Stable Release Date: 2016-04-27

Created 2015-05-08
Last Updated 2016-07-16

NYLimited

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 5, 2008
40.75659° N 73.98626° W
Note that this application is in beta testing phase.
If you have any problem, please report it, so I can fix it.

The default GPS setting seems to work fine outdoors. It pops up the location as 'number Street, city' . When looking at image details I see 'city, street, number' which seems like the default from the camera which is disabled. In other words, the popup would show "123 Main St, New York" but in Quickpic I see "New York, Main St, 123"

Indoors I don't get a popup (no GPS?). There is seemingly no auto switching to different sources of location or I couldn't get it to work.

If I switch to network I cannot switch back to GPS.

I will be traveling over the weekend and will have only limited time to experiment. Next week I'll look at the data on a PC to see if it shows differently.

----
You can chose to ignore reality, but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: M66B

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The default GPS setting seems to work fine outdoors. It pops up the location as 'number Street, city' . When looking at image details I see 'city, street, number' which seems like the default from the camera which is disabled. In other words, the popup would show "123 Main St, New York" but in Quickpic I see "New York, Main St, 123"

Indoors I don't get a popup (no GPS?). There is seemingly no auto switching to different sources of location or I couldn't get it to work.

If I switch to network I cannot switch back to GPS.

I will be traveling over the weekend and will have only limited time to experiment. Next week I'll look at the data on a PC to see if it shows differently.
I have rewritten the location logic to automatically select the best location depending on the available location providers and the set preferences. This means both GPS and network locations will be requested now and that there is an algorithm in place to select the most appropriate location. This probably means selecting a network location indoors and selecting a GPS location outdoors.

Note that network locations have no altitude information, so if you have enabled the option to prefer altitude information, GPS locations will be used when available, even if a network location happens to be more accurate.

The reverse geocoded address is only shown and not stored into the photo, meaning that different applications may show different addresses depending on the geocoder being used (most applications will use the Google geocoder) and if the same geocoder is being used, the address may be formatted in a different way.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The just released version 1.7 fixes a bug appearing when no location providers are enabled.

NYLimited

Jan 5, 2008
40.75659° N 73.98626° W
I can't help it Google is so slow ;)
There is now even a newer version which will allow you to select the maximum age of the last known location.

Grab a beer, that'll make Google faster! ;)

I'm still on 1.4 so this may have changed.

I have absolutely no cell signal here, not a single bar or dot (just a warning triangle). I am also indoors so there is no GPS signal either. I am, however, connected to the local wifi.

I snapped a couple of pictures and thought things weren't working. The fallback to network location took a long time - 47 seconds - before I got the popup. The recorded address was off quite a bit (I understand this is not your code) showing the number 139 despite the house number here being 1.

This is less significant when shooting indoors but could get interesting if taking pictures from a rapidly moving car.

I will grab the new version as time permits and keep you posted.

-----
* Never look up when the dragon flies overhead...

NYLimited

Jan 5, 2008
40.75659° N 73.98626° W
I was just wondering if it is possible to have this app deactivate itself until the camera app is launched..

Both, the GPS and battery usage are very high due to this app. It has recorded nearly 4 hours of heavy go's & battery use since I used it to snap a couple of pictures around 16:15 my time and it us now 22:05... As you can see the resource usage is pretty much continuous since first used but I have not taken any other pictures or loaded camera.

-----

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Grab a beer, that'll make Google faster! ;)

I'm still on 1.4 so this may have changed.

I have absolutely no cell signal here, not a single bar or dot (just a warning triangle). I am also indoors so there is no GPS signal either. I am, however, connected to the local wifi.

I snapped a couple of pictures and thought things weren't working. The fallback to network location took a long time - 47 seconds - before I got the popup. The recorded address was off quite a bit (I understand this is not your code) showing the number 139 despite the house number here being 1.

This is less significant when shooting indoors but could get interesting if taking pictures from a rapidly moving car.

I will grab the new version as time permits and keep you posted.
The network location can take some time to be acquired, 47 seconds is normal, and it is also not very accurate, it can be miles away from where you are, since the nearest GSM cell tower location might be used.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I was just wondering if it is possible to have this app deactivate itself until the camera app is launched..

Both, the GPS and battery usage are very high due to this app. It has recorded nearly 4 hours of heavy go's & battery use since I used it to snap a couple of pictures around 16:15 my time and it us now 22:05... As you can see the resource usage is pretty much continuous since first used but I have not taken any other pictures or loaded camera.
The idea is that the GPS is turned on after taking a photo and to be on for the maximum timeout time (default 60 seconds).
If the GPS stays on, it is a bug. Which version are you using?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have just released stable version 1.11.

It is basically the same as version 1.10, with updated English texts and a new Dutch translation.

I have extensively tested this version and all main features I had planned are implemented.

Please let me know if you experience any problem, preferably accompanied with a logcat (see below), or if you have suggestions for improvements.

Code:
adb logcat | grep -i finegeotag > log.txt

Weetbix

Feb 1, 2010
Kariong
Ok, I've just had 2 days of running around with the family - taking plenty of photos along the way. All day Saturday I had 1.4 installed, and 1.8 today.

In short - I didn't notice any issues with FineGeoTag. It pretty much behaved as I expected without sitting down trying everything and trying everything in all ways.

The only photos I took that didn't get get tagged were on 1.8 when we were inside a large building having lunch where no gps fix could be had (9 year olds trying chicken feet is funny by the way).

I usually have location services turned off unless I need them... So I had tasker turn them on when my camera was launched. I also don't have data on by default - so I never got the pop up with the actual address (apart from a few I took at home with WiFi on).

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Free mobile app

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Ok, I've just had 2 days of running around with the family - taking plenty of photos along the way. All day Saturday I had 1.4 installed, and 1.8 today.

In short - I didn't notice any issues with FineGeoTag. It pretty much behaved as I expected without sitting down trying everything and trying everything in all ways.

The only photos I took that didn't get get tagged were on 1.8 when we were inside a large building having lunch where no gps fix could be had (9 year olds trying chicken feet is funny by the way).

I usually have location services turned off unless I need them... So I had tasker turn them on when my camera was launched. I also don't have data on by default - so I never got the pop up with the actual address (apart from a few I took at home with WiFi on).

Thanks for your feedback.

There should be no need for trying things, the intention is to set and forget.

The latest version will automatically select appropriate location providers, based on which are enabled in the Android location settings and select the best location based on your preferences, so you will have a location indoors too (assuming you are allowing at least network locations). There is also a fallback to the last known location in case no location could be acquired and you can select the maximum allowed age of the last know location. So, the only situation there is no location is when all location providers are disabled and the last known location is older than allowed. This all is much better than what most camera applications do, which is mostly just getting the last known location, whatever the age, and sometimes just the first location reported, which could be quite inaccurate.

Without internet there will be no address, but there should be a popup with a thumbnail and the text "Geotagged".

NYLimited

Jan 5, 2008
40.75659° N 73.98626° W
The idea is that the GPS is turned on after taking a photo and to be on for the maximum timeout time (default 60 seconds).
If the GPS stays on, it is a bug. Which version are you using?

I think that was 1.4.. Long ago and far away.. :)

I actually used Tasker to turn on GPS when camera is launched and off when exited. I will play more with newest version..

EDIT: I just saw you pushed a stable version. Will try it soon.

-----

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    play.png

I was not very satisfied with the location my camera application provides for geotagging, so I wrote a little application to automatically geotag photos right after they are taken using a real-time acquired location.

My camera application (stock camera Nexus 5) seems to use the last known location, which could be quite old and miles away from my current location.

FineGeotag will try to acquire an accurate location in real-time and update the Exif location tags of the photos taken.

FineGeotag will try to use the GPS and/or the network location, depending on which location providers are enabled in the Android settings.

Optionally a popup will be shown with a thumbnail of the photo and the reverse geocoded address.

You could use PhotoMap or similar to display geotagged photos on a map.

Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.faircode.finegeotag

More information: https://github.com/M66B/FineGeotag

screenshot.png

XDA:DevDB Information
    FineGeotag, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B, M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/FineGeotag

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.21
    Stable Release Date: 2016-04-27

Created 2015-05-08
    Last Updated 2016-07-16
    I have just uploaded stable version 1.15 to the Play store.

I have added EGM96 height correction, which might be the first open source Android implementation of this algorithm to correct GPS heights to mean sea level (MSL). Since the EGM96 correction table is included in the application, the application size has increased with 2 MB.

This new feature is a spin-off of another project I am working on. Let me know if you are interested in a pre release.
    I have just uploaded stable version 1.16 to the Play store.

The version corrects height only for GPS locations.
    I have just released stable version 1.13 in the Play store (only).
    Note that it can take several hours before Google has scanned the update.
    I have just released stable version 1.11.

It is basically the same as version 1.10, with updated English texts and a new Dutch translation.

I have extensively tested this version and all main features I had planned are implemented.

Please let me know if you experience any problem, preferably accompanied with a logcat (see below), or if you have suggestions for improvements.

Code:
    adb logcat | grep -i finegeotag > log.txt