[APP][4.0+] Floating Music Widget

Do you like my apps?

• Yes, this app and Quick Control Dock are cool!

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • Yes, this app is cool!

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • This app is bad, but Quick Control Dock is nice

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • No, not at all

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Dr.Alexander_Breen

Jun 17, 2012
Market description:
You can't disagree that ICS lockscreen music control is a really convenient thing.
But have you ever thought about being able to control your music from anywhere?

If yes, then this application is just for you.
This is basically a music control widget you see on the lockscreen, except you can launch it anywhere.
And you can change it's size - make it huge, or make it tiny. Tuck it in the corner, or place it right in the middle of the screen.

WARNING: For this application to work your player have to support standard ICS lockscreen controls. Those players include but are not limited to:
Poweramp, Droidsound, Yandex.Music

To close the widget, double tap it. To resize it, pinch it out or in.
You can launch this app by the regular shortcut or the same way you launch Google Now.

Now, letter trom the developer(from me :p):
As this app implements exactly the same interface as 4.0+ lockscreen music controls, it is obviously unable to control players which don't support 4.0+ lockscreen controls. However, my other app, Quick Control Dock, is able to control some players which doesn't support lockscreen controls.

This app is and will be totally free. No annoying ads. But if you will suddenly feel generous, please consider a donation :)

Phone screenshots:
Screenshot_2013-07-27-10-52-53.jpg Screenshot_2013-07-27-10-55-10.jpg Screenshot_2013-07-27-11-01-01.jpg

Tablet screenshots:
Screenshot_2013-07-27-10-03-19.jpg Screenshot_2013-07-27-11-08-06.jpg Screenshot_2013-07-27-11-08-41.jpg

CURRENT VERSION: 1.0.1a

Changes in 1.0.1a:
-Fixed bug with non-changable widget size
-Fixed crash on 4.0
-Fixed crash for 4.3
-Long-tap next or previous button to open current player
-Metadata are no longer clickable due to it's interference with pinch gesture

Download app:
From Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.woodblockwithoutco.floatingmusicwidget
From XDA:
For 4.2.2 and lower:
View attachment FloatingMusicWidget.apk
For 4.3:
View attachment FloatingMusicWidget_4.3.apk

Last edited:

Sparks639

Jan 16, 2011
Been look for this exact thing! Will get back to you with some feedback soon. Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Tower1972

Mar 13, 2008
Somewhere in Wisconsin
This seems like a very good idea and I am tempted to give it a shot! One thing I like so far is that it has to ability to be closed!!

The other floating apps out there stay on the screen, sure it minimizes icons placed on peoples homescreens, but when I am reading something and have to constantly move something around to keep reading, it gets rather annoying!

Sparks639

Jan 16, 2011
And...where is the feedback? :D

Lol well, so far love it. Light, simple, quick to respond. 2 devices, both mostly stock, rooted 4.1.2 Moto Razr xt912, RAZR HD XT 926.

My only suggestion / request would be; open app on single tap of artwork.

Customizable colors would be appealing, but not at their cost of the lightweight feel.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: j.batta01

Dr.Alexander_Breen

Jun 17, 2012
Lol well, so far love it. Light, simple, quick to respond. 2 devices, both mostly stock, rooted 4.1.2 Moto Razr xt912, RAZR HD XT 926.

Customizable colors would be appealing, but not at their cost of the lightweight feel.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you!

About opening app - it's a good idea, and it will be really easy to implement as I've already done exact same thing in my Quick Control Dock.
I'll do it.

Dr.Alexander_Breen

Jun 17, 2012
Okay, I'm off to code some features you requested :)
Think I'll finish in one or two hours.

Only one question - should the app close itself when you open current player by tapping album-art?

Last edited:

Sparks639

Jan 16, 2011
I didn't even consider that, but yes. Otherwise the redundancy would be too much to bear.

PS... Bought your other app. Digging that one too!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Dr.Alexander_Breen

Jun 17, 2012
Okay guys, got a little update.
Changelog in 1.0.1:
-Long tap the metadata to open current player
-Size and position of widget now stored on close and restored on start
-Slightly altered position of the metadata
-Maximum widget size is now bound only by min(width, height)
-Fixed crash in ICS devices(or not, need some testing)
-Added mini-mode for phones - in mini mode all metadata will be hidden and the window will become very small. To exit mini mode, long-tap the play button. To enter mini mode - minimize the window with your fingers.

darkrai

Jan 6, 2013
Pune
When open this app from quick control on my navigation bar, it occupies the whole screen
I tried reducing the size but it still occupies the whole screen
Nexus 4 running pa3.92 android 4.3
Any idea how to fix it? :confused:

Dr.Alexander_Breen

Jun 17, 2012
App crashes at start. Tried using this on a rooted stock rom Nexus 7 (2013). The player I'm using is Rocket Player.

How do I send you a crash report?

You have 4.3, yes? There is a crash because I compiled it against 4.2.2 library. I'll compile it with 4.3 and upload an update soon.

XaviCampos said:
Hi, this app dont' work on htc one (m7) rom trick droid 8.0 jelly bean 4.2.2
The app show only black screen
Even no music controls are shown?

When open this app from quick control on my navigation bar, it occupies the whole screen
I tried reducing the size but it still occupies the whole screen
Nexus 4 running pa3.92 android 4.3
Any idea how to fix it? :confused:
Yes, I'm deploying the fixed version right now.

That's it, uploaded update here, on XDA.

Also...are there anyone interested in article on how to implement such a media controls like in lockscreen and my app?

I'm also going to add optional persistent notification with same functionality.

It works good but what's the point if we already have it in our notifications?

Not every player has notification controls. For example, my favourite Droidsound(I use it for playing PSF files) doesn't.
Some doesn't provide a button to switch song back.

Last edited:

Dr.Alexander_Breen

Jun 17, 2012
Album and song title doesnt show when using Rocket Player whereas Google Music is ok.
My device is Atrix 2 runing rooted stock ICS.

Strange, mine is working fine, check out the screenshot. Do you have the newest Rocket Player version? Maybe try to reboot, sometimes Google Music just won't let music controls go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-04-11-29-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-04-11-29-55.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 162

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Market description:
    You can't disagree that ICS lockscreen music control is a really convenient thing.
    But have you ever thought about being able to control your music from anywhere?

If yes, then this application is just for you.
    This is basically a music control widget you see on the lockscreen, except you can launch it anywhere.
    And you can change it's size - make it huge, or make it tiny. Tuck it in the corner, or place it right in the middle of the screen.

WARNING: For this application to work your player have to support standard ICS lockscreen controls. Those players include but are not limited to:
    Poweramp, Droidsound, Yandex.Music

To close the widget, double tap it. To resize it, pinch it out or in.
    You can launch this app by the regular shortcut or the same way you launch Google Now.

Now, letter trom the developer(from me :p):
    As this app implements exactly the same interface as 4.0+ lockscreen music controls, it is obviously unable to control players which don't support 4.0+ lockscreen controls. However, my other app, Quick Control Dock, is able to control some players which doesn't support lockscreen controls.

This app is and will be totally free. No annoying ads. But if you will suddenly feel generous, please consider a donation :)

Phone screenshots:
    Screenshot_2013-07-27-10-52-53.jpg Screenshot_2013-07-27-10-55-10.jpg Screenshot_2013-07-27-11-01-01.jpg

Tablet screenshots:
    Screenshot_2013-07-27-10-03-19.jpg Screenshot_2013-07-27-11-08-06.jpg Screenshot_2013-07-27-11-08-41.jpg

CURRENT VERSION: 1.0.1a

Changes in 1.0.1a:
    -Fixed bug with non-changable widget size
    -Fixed crash on 4.0
    -Fixed crash for 4.3
    -Long-tap next or previous button to open current player
    -Metadata are no longer clickable due to it's interference with pinch gesture

Download app:
    From Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.woodblockwithoutco.floatingmusicwidget
    From XDA:
    For 4.2.2 and lower:
    View attachment FloatingMusicWidget.apk
    For 4.3:
    View attachment FloatingMusicWidget_4.3.apk
    And...where is the feedback? :D

Keep up the great work!

Thank you!

Is version 2.0 only available for later versions of Android. I'm on 4.1.2 but can the version I see on the play store is 1.0.1b

Version 2.0 had a lot of internal problems, so I've pulled it from Google Play. 2.1 is ready, I just don't have time to upload it :(
    Hey, just finished uploading version 2.1 on Google Play. It should be available within three hours.