Search This thread

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Love Nova launcher. Only wish is that there were customizable options for portrait homescreen layout and landscape homescreen layout. Any chance of adding this in the future?

Cheers,
B.D.

That's an interesting idea. FYI, Nova's developers don't monitor this thread. If you want to pass the idea to them you could use the email at the Play Store page, or use the support contact link in the Nova settings.

Reactions: Thebear j koss

Thebear j koss

Love Nova launcher. Only wish is that there were customizable options for portrait homescreen layout and landscape homescreen layout. Any chance of adding this in the future?

Cheers,
B.D.
Separate layouts for portrait and landscape? Like grid sizes? Not sure if possible.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220410-204920.png
    Screenshot_20220410-204920.png
    196.2 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: IronTechmonkey

ladkins24

Jul 7, 2022
I downloaded the Nova launcher on my amazon fire tablet and it worked great. I had to restart my tablet and now I can not see the Nova launcher app icon. I tried to redownload the app from Fire Toolbox and it say already downloaded. I also tried to long hold the middle home button and it did not do anything. What can I do to get the Nova Launcher Icon back on the tablet?

GalaxyA325G

May 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
New Nova Launcher 8.0 beta is out.
Can someone who knows Nova launcher better than I do help explain what caused Nova to grow in size by almost 150% in a single day?

The file sizes of the Nova Launcher APK jumped astoundingly TREMENDOUSLY hugely disproportionatly the day after when Branch acquired Tesla Coils Software, it seems.

Nova went from about 8MB to 12MB in a single day.
  • That's big.
  • Really big.
But why?
Name: NovaLauncher_7.0.57.apk
Size: 8687535 bytes (8483 KiB)
SHA256: 05AE72221D8D4F3D6A111A3220A0C87040806AF4E53053EF64F2DE426990893E

Name: NovaLauncher_8.0.apk
Size: 8674979 bytes (8471 KiB)
SHA256: 9EFCF80FB6FC80AAA1CFD86AAB5EC13D39BFB06FBE2F20293D426163B3EE35F0

Name: NovaLauncher_8.0.1.apk
Size: 12549867 bytes (11 MiB)
SHA256: 8BAA1B0B0679C5F4F0B0FD370F6835EAEC15123116FCC3E8F7477B9BBB0CC267

Name: NovaLauncher_8.0.2.apk
Size: 12580956 bytes (11 MiB)
SHA256: 61A760413387DDE99F2A2EF4B065CAF278B575C8028CC5B3092F05192CFEE258

Nova aside, the fact is that when an APK, for no apparent reason, grows by almost 150% in size in a single day, "something" really big is going on.

But what?

Attachments

• nova01.jpg
    nova01.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: kozmo2k4

Anarchist77

Sep 13, 2014
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Can someone who knows Nova launcher better than I do help explain what caused Nova to grow in size by almost 150% in a single day?

The file sizes of the Nova Launcher APK jumped astoundingly TREMENDOUSLY hugely disproportionatly the day after when Branch acquired Tesla Coils Software, it seems.

Nova went from about 8MB to 12MB in a single day.
  • That's big.
  • Really big.
But why?

Nova aside, the fact is that when an APK, for no apparent reason, grows by almost 150% in size in a single day, "something" really big is going on.

But what?
Um 🤔 8mb to 12mb? "That's a150% jump" ?....... A 150% jump from 8mb would result in 20mb, no? 😂

GalaxyA325G

May 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Um 🤔 8mb to 12mb? "That's a150% jump" ?....... A 150% jump from 8mb would result in 20mb, no? 😂
I don't want to quibble over a puny 5% so I will AGREE with you that the Nova free APK jumped in size not by 150% but only by 145% since Branch Analytics acquired it.

However, I think your complaint about the minor 5% difference between 145% & 150% is completely besides the point, but to answer your MATHEMATICAL question faithfully (since you brought it up)...

You are correct I was quoting roughly the order of magnitude... (145% being close to 150%) given the number of sig figs we're dealing with...

But if you truly want exact numbers this is the size of the version of Nova free that I am currently using which is from TeslaCoil Apps, LLC compared to the latest version in my wget archives (which has the Branch Analytics code duly inserted)...
  • NovaLauncher_7.0.57.apk, Size: 8687535 bytes (8483 KiB)
  • NovaLauncher_8.0.2.apk, Size: 12580956 bytes (11 MiB)
Mathematically, we can ask the same percentage question two different ways... namely...
  • 12,580,956 bytes is what percent of 8,687,535 bytes, or,
  • 8,687,535 bytes is what percent of 12,580,956 bytes.
While that boils down roughly to the difference between 13 & 9 (with roundoff), the precise mathematical answer which you seek is as shown below.
  • 12580956 times 100 divided by 8687535 = 145%
  • 8687535 times 100 divided by 12580956 = 70%
Given these byte numbers will surely change a bit and given the point is the astoundingly huge difference in size between the older TeslaCoil LLC APK and the newer Branch Analytics APK, you can accurately appreciate the change mathematically in two ways:
  • The Branch Analytics version is 145% larger than the TeslaCoil version, or,
  • The TeslaCoil version is 70% smaller than the Branch Analytics version.
Given we're dealing with orders of magnitude and sig figs here, and given byte sizes will change over time, I'm summarizing that as:
  • The Branch Analytics Nova free APK is about 1-1/2 times larger,
  • Or, the TeslaCoil Nova free APK was about 3/4 smaller.
No matter which way you choose slice the math, that's a sudden and ASTOUNDINGLY HUGE size difference, is it not?
  • The Branch Analytics APK is ~1-1/2 times the TeslaCoil size, or,
  • The TeslaCoil APK was ~3/4ths the BranchAnalytics APK size.
That sudden size difference is ASTOUNDINGLY HUGE, is it not?

Hence, the logically sensible question to ask is what on earth has so suddenly been added to Nova free to cause that ASTOUNDINGLY HUGE difference in size to occur after the ownership switch.

Last edited:

Thebear j koss

I don't want to quibble over a puny 5% so I will AGREE with you that the Nova free APK jumped in size not by 150% but only by 145% since Branch Analytics acquired it.

However, I think your complaint about the minor 5% difference between 145% & 150% is completely besides the point, but to answer your MATHEMATICAL question faithfully (since you brought it up)...

You are correct I was quoting roughly the order of magnitude... (145% being close to 150%) given the number of sig figs we're dealing with...

But if you truly want exact numbers this is the size of the version of Nova free that I am currently using which is from TeslaCoil Apps, LLC compared to the latest version in my wget archives (which has the Branch Analytics code duly inserted)...
Mathematically, we can ask the same percentage question two different ways... namely...
While that boils down roughly to the difference between 13 & 9 (with roundoff), the precise mathematical answer which you seek is as shown below.
Given these byte numbers will surely change a bit and given the point is the astoundingly huge difference in size between the older TeslaCoil LLC APK and the newer Branch Analytics APK, you can accurately appreciate the change mathematically in two ways:
Given we're dealing with orders of magnitude and sig figs here, and given byte sizes will change over time, I'm summarizing that as:
No matter which way you choose slice the math, that's a sudden and ASTOUNDINGLY HUGE size difference, is it not?

Hence, the logically sensible question to ask is what on earth has so suddenly been added to Nova free to cause that ASTOUNDINGLY HUGE difference in size to occur after the ownership switch.
Nope. Blame material you design. Tons of extra code is needed for that crap to work. Every app that uses Google's material you code as a base grows by leaps and bounds. Go look at size comparison of Gmail from 2 years ago and the bloated crap it is now. Since phones have larger capacities in storage and RAM, and companies make more loot on cloud storage, they need not worry about app size no more...

Anarchist77

Sep 13, 2014
Google Pixel 6 Pro

My point simply was that going from 8mb to 12mb is a 50% increase. Half of 8 is 4 (50%)...8+4=12. There is a big difference between the actual 50% and 150% that you claimed.

Reactions: FlyingHorseGA

GalaxyA325G

May 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
My point simply was that going from 8mb to 12mb is a 50% increase. Half of 8 is 4 (50%)...8+4=12. There is a big difference between the actual 50% and 150% that you claimed.
I never disagree with facts (only fools disagree with facts - that's why they're fools in the first place).

Hence I agree wholeheartedly with you when you bring up the point that there are not two but at least THREE ways of saying the exact same math.

There might even be more ways to say the same math for all I know.

These are all mathematically correct statements:
1. The TeslaCoil APK is ~75% the size of the BranchAnalytics APK.
2. The BranchAnalytics APK is ~150% the size of the TeslaCoil APK.
3. The BranchAnalytics APK grew by ~50% over the TeslaCoil APK.

Which can also be said using quarters...
1. The TeslaCoil APK is 3/4ths the size of the BranchAnalytics APK.
2. The BranchAnalytics APK is 1-1/2 times the size of the TeslaCoil APK.
3. The BranchAnalytics APK grew by 1/2 over the TeslaCoil APK.

The math is the same math no matter how you describe that math.
Either way, the instantaneous growth is ASTOUNDINGLY HUGE.​

And to say it's due to "material design" without a single fact backing that statement up might as well be the same as saying it's due to aliens who infested the source code for all that it's worth without a single fact backing up that statement.

Personally I doubt it's due to "material design" just as I doubt the earth is flat even though there are plenty of fact-free people who claim that it is with the same number of facts backing up their statements as were used to back up "material design" being the reason.

I am nothing but logical.
And factual.

The logic to ask is related to the fact that the APK grew in size by an ASTOUNDINGLY HUGE amount soon AFTER the Branch Analytics acquisition.

Why?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Anarchist77

Thebear j koss

I never disagree with facts (only fools disagree with facts - that's why they're fools in the first place).

Hence I agree wholeheartedly with you when you bring up the point that there are not two but at least THREE ways of saying the exact same math.

There might even be more ways to say the same math for all I know.

These are all mathematically correct statements:
1. The TeslaCoil APK is ~75% the size of the BranchAnalytics APK.
2. The BranchAnalytics APK is ~150% the size of the TeslaCoil APK.
3. The BranchAnalytics APK grew by ~50% over the TeslaCoil APK.

Which can also be said using quarters...
1. The TeslaCoil APK is 3/4ths the size of the BranchAnalytics APK.
2. The BranchAnalytics APK is 1-1/2 times the size of the TeslaCoil APK.
3. The BranchAnalytics APK grew by 1/2 over the TeslaCoil APK.

The math is the same math no matter how you describe that math.
Either way, the instantaneous growth is ASTOUNDINGLY HUGE.​

And to say it's due to "material design" without a single fact backing that statement up might as well be the same as saying it's due to aliens who infested the source code for all that it's worth without a single fact backing up that statement.

I am nothing but logical.
And factual.

The logic to ask is related to the fact that the APK grew in size by an ASTOUNDINGLY HUGE amount soon AFTER the Branch Analytics acquisition.

Why?
Well I backed it up with facts. Look at any size of any Google app from 2 years ago and any Google app now. Material you design and libraries makes the app bigger. The Branch analytics has absolutely no bearing on Nova's size jump. Don't believe me? Grab Nova 7 apk from apkmirror and Nova 8 from apkmirror decompile or extract and look at differences in files. Most notable changes will be in libs, resources.arc and dex which both apps will have, but the difference in sizes are due to implementation of material you code. Still are a skeptic? You probably also think Trump won the election, we never landed on the moon, Tupac is alive and well, and Democrats kill, rape, and eat babies... Not all do, just some of us.
Edit- sorry I have to add an ammendment, languages also add to size of apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyingHorseGA

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
My APK is geting bigger just reading this discussion. :D

But seriously, my Nova APK is about 8MB on each of 2 devices, A 10 and 11, and I must agree that sizes of these things have grown... as such things have in just about any operating system going all the way back to DOS 6.11 which was the souped-up version that required additional diskettes, which is analogous to a larger APK.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
[EDIT This seems to have been caused by tasker and Google and not a Nova issue but I'll leave the description as is.]

Has anyone seen an issue like this recently:

After display is turned off and back on the system requests each time that default launcher be set. After each instance, in Nova none default is not set even though it was set for Nova before the power cycle of display.

Details:
Android 10 stock Moto G7 power rooted with Magisk, having run nova launcher fine for a few years, started doing this immediately after some manually applied Play Store App updates were installed (but nothing which should affect the launcher). Occurs regardless of how display is powered off (power button, timer) and regardless of how it is powered on (power button, peek display.)
- Reboot does not fix.
- Occurs in a backup of nova settings from 1 month ago thereby eliminating recent nova settings changes as suspects.
- Does not occur on an Android 11 device which received the same set of Playstore updates.
- Disabling native Moto App launcher prevents prompt to select launcher but causes other functions such as recents to fail in nova.

Installing an additional launcher did not trick the system into retaining the default, and this seems to occur regardless of which launcheris set as default so it's not specifically a nova issue. That being said the only reference I can find to "default" in this thread is quite old and any advice would be appreciated.

[EDIT] This issue is avoided by disabling Tasker and might or might not relate Google shenanigans and Tasker's ability to intercept assist application requests via long press of the home button, and it is that home button which is connection to nova although nova is not cause. Apologies for the off-topic, I left the note in case others see this and think it is a launcher issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thebear j koss

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013

Believe it or not I may be able to get this train back on the rails with a question about Nova and launchers in general but first please allow me to finish derailing the train. The issue was straight up Google, any time an alarm was toggled on or off the symptom would occur. Tasker's work around to prevent being app-killed is to run a perpetual alarm 10 minutes in the future and reset it with every display power cycle. Any time the aforementioned occurred or any time an alarm was enabled or disabled manually in clock app or anytime the screen is powered off and on symptom would occur. Possibly related to Google messing around with the clock application recently. Foogle!

Back to Nova and Launchers. During testing it became apparent that different buttons in the Navigation bar seem to be controlled by different parts of the system or different third-party utilities. For example, when the native Moto launcher was disabled, in Nova the home button and back button still worked OK but the recents button did not. Is that dependency of Nova (or any 3rd party launcher) upon the native launcher for some but not all navbar functions normal or typical?

Last edited:

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
Back to Nova and Launchers. During testing it became apparent that different buttons in the Navigation bar seem to be controlled by different parts of the system or different third-party utilities. For example, when the native Moto launcher was disabled, in Nova the home button and back button still worked OK but the recents button did not. Is that dependency of Nova (or any 3rd party launcher) upon the native launcher for some but not all navbar functions normal or typical?
Since Android 10 (I think but not entirely sure), the recents screen has been tied to the stock launcher. So you shouldn't disable your original launcher completely.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Revisiting the odd issue I reported here which was not a Nova issue but which turned out to be a google issue which probably affected Nova launchers on many devices. Initial report here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app-4-0-nova-launcher.1389071/post-87297465

The reason I'm doubling back to explain the answer even though it's not a Nova problem is that the experience to users was as if it was a launcher problem. Any time any app invoked the alarm (in particular with the status bar alarm icon) the launcher would then request to be set as default at next run even if it was previously set as default. This happened with anything that touched that alarm including Tasker, third-party alarm clocks, and native Google clock, eg toggling an existing alarm on or off would induce the issue.

I restored the device to its factory Android 10 condition, then installed Nova, and then allowed it to update the various native apps and services while testing at various points along the way. The issue did not occur until the latest batch of Play Store updates (as of a week ago) were installed so it was clearly a Google issue. The final proof is that a round of updates to a few key Google services this week corrected the issue.

Apologies for the off topic but, again, it really is easy to see this as a launcher error and I was wondering if Google had thrown another restriction at us so I mentioned it.
    How many years are you on Android? Your 1st instinct should always be to blame Google. Whenever something breaks, stops working, or just goes wonky on your device it is 99.9999% Google's fault. I just bought a new car with all the bells and whistles and it is pretty dependent on Android auto, I have nightmares about Google pushing some shoddy update that dumps fuel while I play music and catch fire on the George Washington Bridge in NYC. I keep seeing these Tesla nightmares where back ends and bumpers just fall off or the car is just engulfed in an atomic mushroom cloud because it rained too hard on the car. Lol.
    But you should know to start with Google and then double back after exhausting every other option and just wait until Google fixes it. At least when Dirty Unicorns was around you knew to blame Alex.
    Revisiting the odd issue I reported here which was not a Nova issue but which turned out to be a google issue which probably affected Nova launchers on many devices. Initial report here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app-4-0-nova-launcher.1389071/post-87297465

The reason I'm doubling back to explain the answer even though it's not a Nova problem is that the experience to users was as if it was a launcher problem. Any time any app invoked the alarm (in particular with the status bar alarm icon) the launcher would then request to be set as default at next run even if it was previously set as default. This happened with anything that touched that alarm including Tasker, third-party alarm clocks, and native Google clock, eg toggling an existing alarm on or off would induce the issue.

I restored the device to its factory Android 10 condition, then installed Nova, and then allowed it to update the various native apps and services while testing at various points along the way. The issue did not occur until the latest batch of Play Store updates (as of a week ago) were installed so it was clearly a Google issue. The final proof is that a round of updates to a few key Google services this week corrected the issue.

Apologies for the off topic but, again, it really is easy to see this as a launcher error and I was wondering if Google had thrown another restriction at us so I mentioned it.
    Hi guys, I don't if I'm the only one but I still use tesla unread for badge notification and never update to nova 7 so I can still use it.
    I recently change phone but now testla unread has problem with some apps (telegram and Samsung mail for now) not showing any badge.

Have you some tips to fix it?
    With Nova 7 and newer you don't have to use tesla unread to get everything working. Tesla unread are pretty much dead.
    With Nova 7 and newer you don't have to use tesla unread to get everything working. Tesla unread are pretty much dead.
    you don't have the same functions either. i didn't stick to unread because i'm nostalgic but because without it when you swipe a notification you also lose the badge, and the badge for me is the most useful exactly when i don't have the notification and the icon on the top
    How many years are you on Android? Your 1st instinct should always be to blame Google. Whenever something breaks, stops working, or just goes wonky on your device it is 99.9999% Google's fault. I just bought a new car with all the bells and whistles and it is pretty dependent on Android auto, I have nightmares about Google pushing some shoddy update that dumps fuel while I play music and catch fire on the George Washington Bridge in NYC. I keep seeing these Tesla nightmares where back ends and bumpers just fall off or the car is just engulfed in an atomic mushroom cloud because it rained too hard on the car. Lol.
    But you should know to start with Google and then double back after exhausting every other option and just wait until Google fixes it. At least when Dirty Unicorns was around you knew to blame Alex.

Preach Brother Bear but fear not, I suspected Google immediately and I share your concerns about the type of breakdowns that can occur when the services on which these critical utilities depend are not properly maintained or when the universe that they are attempting to maintain has gotten too complicated for them. BTW, I was a late adopter to android considering IT profession and experience but I knew about Google and when I saw that I had to create a Google account to get full functionality, not even full functionality but critical functionality, from the device I knew they couldn't be trusted. They've lived up, or lived down as the case may be, to that lack of trust many times. As to this particular issue, they had been fooling around with the native Google clock for a while, attempting to make it theme sensitive but managing to get everyone on the same color combination which many people did, not like, and also they messed up or removed full-screen alarm with snooze and stop buttons except when device is locked. This means attempting to snooze or stop the alarm in a small button in the middle of the screen with a greater likelihood of invoking something you don't want to (I've reverted to older version of clock). It was not long after that that the clock issue affected default launcher. In any event, apologies for the off-topic but I can say it's nice to be able to use the nova launcher without having to continually reset default launcher.

BTW, I'll be crossing the GWB sometime in the next couple of days. Please don't catch fire on the bridge this week. :D
    Nova Launcher is a highly customizable launcher replacement based on the stock Android 4.x Launcher.
    http://novalauncher.com/

Banner.png

Highly customizable, performance driven, home screen replacement for Android 4+
    Features include:
    Custom Grid
    Configure the rows and columns to fit all your app and widget needs.
    Scrollable Dock
    Keep all your favorite apps on the dock, with up to 7 icons per page and up to 3 pages.
    Scroll Effects
    Enjoy eye candy when scrolling your desktop and drawer. Effects include Cube and Cardstack and more for Prime users.
    Infinite Scroll
    Never be far from your favorite page, loop through your desktop continuously.
    Folder Icons
    You can chose a background, preview style or even replace the whole icon.
    Backup/Restore
    Export your settings and layout before a wipe to quickly get back up and running.
    Nova Launcher Prime Features (Paid version)
    Gestures
    Quickly start Nova Actions or Apps from gestures on the desktop, such as pinching, swiping or two-finger swiping.
    Hide Apps
    Keep a clutter free drawer by hidding never used apps.
    Dock Swipes
    Get more use out of your dock apps by setting swipe-actions
    Additional Scroll Effects

Vote for features at the Nova Launcher User Voice. Search before posting a new feature request!

Help Translate

You can access Nova Settings by App Drawer > Menu > Nova Settings or long-press in empty space and tap the wrench.

Permissions:
    INTERNET/ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE/ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Optional & Anonymous error/usage reporting.
    CALL_PHONE: Only used if you place a direct-dial shortcut on the homescreen.
    Wallpaper/Vibrate/Status Bar : Standard Launcher functions
    BIND_APPWIDGET: Only if installed as a system app or root. Required for adding widgets from app drawer.
    WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Backup/restore and beta updates

Download links:

If interested in beta testing please join the beta community at https://plus.google.com/communities/103449253667195874971

then opt-in at https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.teslacoilsw.launcher and you will receive beta updates through the Play Store.

Play Store

Alternatively you may manually download the latest APKs
    Release APK:
    Nova Launcher APK
    Beta APK:
    Nova Launcher Beta APK

Theme Developers
    Check out the example theme at https://github.com/teslacoil/Example_NovaTheme . Also consider adding "#Nova.Theme" to your Play Store description.
    Please find the changelog and beta download links at http://novalauncher.com/beta/
    2.3beta1 Nov 11, 2013
    • Kitkat scroll indicator (Settings > Desktop > Scroll Indicator)
    • Kitkat folders (Settings > Folders > Light Background and Folder Background > Light Circle)
    • Kitkat font (Settings > Look and Feel > Icon Font > Condensed, requires Android 4.1+)
    • Kitkat app drawer (on by default, get the old style by long-press > Edit > tap the icon > Built-in)
    • Transparent system bars on Kitkat (Settings > Look and feel > Transparent Notification Bar)
    • Transparent nav bar on Moto X (Settings > Look and feel > Transparent Navigation Bar)
    • Drawer tab indicator scrolls during tab change
    • Drawer scroll indicator is relative to current tab
    • Scroll indicators animate properly for infinite scroll
    • Backup/Restore from external sdcard (on devices with sdcards)
    • Fast scroll for vertical app drawer
    • Fixes and optimizations

Join the Nova Launcher Beta G+ community, then opt-in .

Or Settings > Check for updates > Menu > Beta or Download the Beta APK

Older Versions:
    Latest Stable APK: 2.2.3 Sep 17, 2013
    https://plus.google.com/109670429793951665860/posts/4BwdcKy5T2b
    Nova Launcher and KitKat

With the recent Android 4.4 (KitKat) update there have been lots of questions about what this means for Nova Launcher. I still need to do a lot more research and work before I have definitive answers for all the questions. However I can give a brief summary of what to expect.

Nova will be updated to include, as options, much of the Nexus 5 launcher's look and feel. I've included a screenshot of an unstable development version of Nova Launcher. You can see KitKat style light folders icons and background, circular page indicator, and transparent system bars (on the Nexus 5). These will be optional so if you prefer the darker Jellybean style you can keep it.

Transparent system bars will not be available to all devices. The system bars are drawn by the SystemUI component, not the launcher. KitKat introduces an API for apps such as Nova Launcher to request that the SystemUI draw these with only a light gradient background. Not all KitKat devices will support this functionality for performance reasons, and Nova will be unable to force it. Also older Android versions are unaware of this new API in KitKat and thus will not get transparent system bars. The exception is that some devices, such as the TouchWiz SGS4, had transparent system bars implemented by the manufacturer skin, and Nova is able to make use of their private APIs for this.

Google Now integration, in the exact same way that Google does so, is not possible. This includes the swipe to the left for Google Now and the "Ok, Google" hotword. The Google Experience Launcher (GEL) is not a stand alone component, but actually a bundle of Google Search, Google Now, and GEL. With current APIs, it's not possible for Nova to access Google Now in the exact same way that the GEL does. However I am looking into ways to achieve similar functionality. Quick access to Google Now is already possible by swiping up from the home button (on devices with navigation bars), or by assigning a Nova Gesture to launch Google Now. Some users have suggested placing a full screen Google Now widget on the left most page. I'll be investigating further enhancements in this area, but it's important to note that the exact Google experience is not possible for non-Google apps.

The new launcher also redesigned the app and widgets drawer. Google has removed Widgets from the App Drawer and now places them in their own drawer accessible by long-pressing in empty space. I'm looking into how a setup like this could work with Nova Launcher. it is not a straightforward change due to Nova's additional functionality such as custom drawer tabs. But it is something I can take inspiration from.

There are also a number of bug fixes and performance improvements that Google has built into the new launcher that I will be investigating. Nova supports a much wider range of android versions and devices than the Google Launcher so performance improvements often need lots of testing or modification to ensure they don't actually hurt performance on some devices.

SMS integration with Hangouts poses a problem for unread badges in Nova Launcher. Unfortunately Hangouts does not provide an API for other apps to access the unread count. I am looking into workarounds.

Some Nova Launcher Prime users have asked if I plan on charging again. Don't worry, the answer is no. Nova Launcher Prime continues to sell well, which is great as I love working on it.

I cannot provide ETAs. I will most likely be spreading some changes across multiple Nova Launcher updates to get them out to users sooner.

I don't have any beta ready for users just yet, but when I do you can help test by joining the beta community at https://plus.google.com/communities/103449253667195874971 and then opt-in for the Nova beta at https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.teslacoilsw.launcher/join and TeslaUnread https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.teslacoilsw.notifier/join . When a beta is ready you will see it as an update in the Play Store. Please note that betas are early releases and are not fully tested yet, if you are uncomfortable with this then please wait until the final release as it will be heavily tested.

NovaKitKat.png
    2.1beta1 May 6, 2013
    • BETA
    • Edit icons and titles of apps in drawer
    • Improved drawer group interface
    • Ability to add drawer folders to desktop
    • New icon and wallpaper picker
    • Improved settings for adding new apps to desktop
    • Support SGS4's transparent notification bar (Only on stock SGS4)
    • Fix drawer not reflecting locale changes
    • Fix for accuweather widget
    • Optimizations and fixes

Settings > Check for updates > Menu > Beta or Download the Beta APK

Older Versions:
    Latest Stable APK: 2.0.2 Apr 5, 2013