Search This thread

Teracotta

Jun 26, 2015
Unfortunately, Nova's "hidden apps" option doesn't work with most other shortcuts.

It might just be a system app issue, if you have root, try to move the app from /system/app/ or /system/priv-app/ to /data/app using link2sd or whatever that magisk module is that does the same thing (I forget)

might surprising, but is possible on some androids to do this with play services and playstore. for all google complaint of spying, it needs root to hook into android OS so removing play services from /system/ means many analytic breaks (break gps, probably)

please backup nandroid first in case this bricks something,

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
It might just be a system app issue, if you have root, try to move the app from /system/app/ or /system/priv-app/ to /data/app using link2sd or whatever that magisk module is that does the same thing (I forget)

might surprising, but is possible on some androids to do this with play services and playstore. for all google complaint of spying, it needs root to hook into android OS so removing play services from /system/ means many analytic breaks (break gps, probably)

please backup nandroid first in case this bricks something,
The LSPosed utility which created one of the shortcuts that Nova can't hide is not a system app.

But perhaps this is a special case, because there isn't even a normal app for that utility. It's invoked solely via either a shortcut, a click on a special notification, or a USSD sequence. The shortcut is probably not created in a "standard" manner.

Nonetheless, the Nova launcher definitely "sees" the shortcut, because I can move it around the Home screen using Nova's normal facilities. And this means that Nova is totally aware of the shortcut's icon, and therefore, Nova software could be written to conditionally not display that icon.

Thebear j koss

It'll nice for Nova to be able hide the LSPosed shortcut so it's accessible in an "all apps" drawer.
Mine is in all apps. The setting is in lsposed and not a nova thing. Screenshot_20230130-234250.pngScreenshot_20230130-234258.png

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
I'm running lsposed 1.6.8 under Android 11 (riru version of lsposed), and I'm running the latest Nova. All lsposed offers is whether to create a shortcut or not, and not where the shortcut appears in the launcher.

The only thing that Nova shows me in "all apps" is the lsposed app itself that's downloaded and installed, not the lsposed-created shortcut.

The lsposed-created shortcut can be made to appear (see the lsposed "Settings"), and the lsposed app itself can then be deleted, and that lsposed-created shortcut will remain. That shortcut only appears on the Nova Home screen.

PS: The reason for the lsposed-created shortcut is to allow us to delete the downloaded lsposed app itself in order to make it more difficult for root-detecting utilities to discover the existence of lsposed on the device. I have deleted the downloaded lsposed app for that reason, and I want the lsposed-created shortcut to **not** be forced onto Nova's Home screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: vurtomatic

Thebear j koss

I'm running lsposed 1.6.8 under Android 11 (riru version of lsposed), and I'm running the latest Nova. All lsposed offers is whether to create a shortcut or not, and not where the shortcut appears in the launcher.

The only thing that Nova shows me in "all apps" is the lsposed app itself that's downloaded and installed, not the lsposed-created shortcut.

The lsposed-created shortcut can be made to appear (see the lsposed "Settings"), and the lsposed app itself can then be deleted, and that lsposed-created shortcut will remain. That shortcut only appears on the Nova Home screen.

PS: The reason for the lsposed-created shortcut is to allow us to delete the downloaded lsposed app itself in order to make it more difficult for root-detecting utilities to discover the existence of lsposed on the device. I have deleted the downloaded lsposed app for that reason, and I want the lsposed-created shortcut to **not** be forced onto Nova's Home screen.
So you deleted the app that includes the drawer shortcut. I think lsposed calls it parasitic manager, did it ever cause problems before while hiding root? Never did for me, so I keep it instead of having the notification(worst) or the home screen shortcut. I suggest just moving the shortcut into a folder , like I have a favorites folder in my app drawer, put that folder on homescreen, then add the shortcut to that folder, then delete the folder from homescreen. Lsposed shortcut will remain in folder in app drawer.

Reactions: HippoMan

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
So you deleted the app that includes the drawer shortcut. I think lsposed calls it parasitic manager, did it ever cause problems before while hiding root? Never did for me, so I keep it instead of having the notification(worst) or the home screen shortcut. I suggest just moving the shortcut into a folder , like I have a favorites folder in my app drawer, put that folder on homescreen, then add the shortcut to that folder, then delete the folder from homescreen. Lsposed shortcut will remain in folder in app drawer.
Yes, that's indeed the parasitic manager shortcut.

Nova won't let me move that parasitic manager shortcut into any folder, nor into any other app drawer. That is the reason for why I posted this question here in the first place.

As I mentioned above, Nova lets me move that parastic manager shortcut around the Home screen, and Nova also allows this shortcut's icon to be changed. This means that Nova can indeed "see" this kind of shortcut. It just doesn't seem to be able to manage it in the way that it manages other kinds of shortcuts.

I think that I'm out of luck unless there will eventually be some sort of Nova enhancement which allows it to manage that kind of parasitic manager shortcut in the same way as it manages other shortcuts.

Thebear j koss

Yes, that's indeed the parasitic manager shortcut.

Nova won't let me move that parasitic manager shortcut into any folder, nor into any other app drawer. That is the reason for why I posted this question here in the first place.

As I mentioned above, Nova lets me move that parastic manager shortcut around the Home screen, and Nova also allows this shortcut's icon to be changed. This means that Nova can indeed "see" that kind of shortcut. It just doesn't seem to be able to manage it in the way that it manages other kinds of shortcuts.

I think that I'm out of luck unless there will eventually be some sort of Nova enhancement which allows it to manage that kind of parasitic manager shortcut in the same way as it manages other shortcuts.
Put the folder on your homescreen and move it into the folder. Then delete the folder off your homescreen.

vurtomatic

Mar 22, 2015
I think the challenge is we want to keep the shortcut in a drawer, not the homescreen or a folder on the homescreen.

Moving the shortcut to a folder and deleting the folder off the homescreen would lose the shortcut completely?

Reactions: HippoMan

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
I think the challenge is we want to keep the shortcut in a drawer, not the homescreen or a folder on the homescreen.

Moving the shortcut to a folder and deleting the folder off the homescreen would lose the shortcut completely?
As I already mentioned above, Nova does not allow me to move this parasitic manager shortcut into any folder, including any folder that is resident on the Home screen or anywhere else. And Nova does not allow me to move this parasitic manager shortcut to any other drawer.

When using Nova's facilities to try to move the parasitic manager shortcut to a folder or a drawer, Nova does not show that parasitic manager shortcut as existing at all, and hence, it can't be moved.

The only option that Nova offers is to move the parasitic manager shortcut to different locations on the Nova Home screen.

Therefore, there is no way to determine whether or not the shortcut might get lost if it somehow gets put into a folder which is then moved off of the Home screen ... since -- again -- it's impossible to move that particular shortcut into any folder or drawer in the first place.

It seems that this parasitic manager shortcut is somehow not being recognized as a "normal" shortcut by Nova.

Last edited:
Reactions: vurtomatic

Thebear j koss

As I already mentioned above, Nova does not allow me to move this parasitic manager shortcut into any folder, including any folder that is resident on the Home screen or anywhere else. And Nova does not allow me to move this parasitic manager shortcut to any other drawer.

When using Nova's facilities to try to move the parasitic manager shortcut to a folder or a drawer, Nova does not show that parasitic manager shortcut as existing at all, and hence, it can't be moved.

The only option that Nova offers is to move the parasitic manager shortcut to different locations on the Nova Home screen.

Therefore, there is no way to determine whether or not the shortcut might get lost if it somehow gets put into a folder which is then moved off of the Home screen ... since -- again -- it's impossible to move that particular shortcut into any folder or drawer in the first place.

It seems that this parasitic manager shortcut is somehow not being recognized as a "normal" shortcut by Nova.
Ok. Here's what you have to do, open the lsposed zip with a file manager, find the lsposed manager APK in the zip, press and install it. This will install the manager as a regular data/app instead of using that parasitic manager. You will now get the icon you can move off of homescreen. You will need to do this every update to keep the manager up to date. Sorry, I forgot I missed the main step. Install the manager.apk seen in the screenshot. It isn't a nova thing, it is an lsposed limitation on their shortcut. Only other thing is to make it a transparent icon if you don't want to install the manager as a data app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131-171703.png
    Screenshot_20230131-171703.png
    388.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: IronTechmonkey

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
Ok. Here's what you have to do, open the lsposed zip with a file manager, find the lsposed manager APK in the zip, press and install it. This will install the manager as a regular data/app instead of using that parasitic manager. You will now get the icon you can move off of homescreen. You will need to do this every update to keep the manager up to date. Sorry, I forgot I missed the main step. Install the manager.apk seen in the screenshot. It isn't a nova thing, it is an lsposed limitation on their shortcut. Only other thing is to make it a transparent icon if you don't want to install the manager as a data app.
Thank you very much. Actually, I already did that before.

The problem is that the installed lsposed app is detected by the anti-root software, and this prevents my banking app from working.

However ...

I decided to completely give up on trying to access the parasitic manager via its own installed shortcut, and instead, I now have switched to the USSD-code method for running the parasitic manager: by sending *#*#5776733#*#* to the dialer.

I am using Tasker and AutoInput, and I figured out how to automate that USSD dialer sequence in a Tasker task, and I then exported that Tasker task as a loadable app. Now, I can just click on the icon for that loadable app, and it automatically opens the dialer, automatcally sends that USSD code, and then automatically clicks on the "Call" button ... and I'm in the lsposed app!

And I put the loadable app into a Nova folder, off of my Home screen.

And the root-detection modules don't see lsposed.

So, bye-bye parasitic-manager shortcut!! :)

And thank you again for **all** your help!!!!

Last edited:

k500zm

Aug 5, 2013
London
I have updated my xiaomi mi 11 5g NE to miui 14.0.6 and the option to lock apps by holding the app in the recents window has disappeared. If I revert back to the system launcher it is possible to lock apps in the normal way as above.

Will Nova prime be updated so that it will be possible to lock apps by holding the app in the recents window?

kv1dr

Dec 28, 2010
Gornji Grad
I don't think Nova has access to the same system functions as default system launcher has, so most probably it is not possible to implement this at all.

Reactions: k500zm

Thebear j koss

I have updated my xiaomi mi 11 5g NE to miui 14.0.6 and the option to lock apps by holding the app in the recents window has disappeared. If I revert back to the system launcher it is possible to lock apps in the normal way as above.

Will Nova prime be updated so that it will be possible to lock apps by holding the app in the recents window?
Probably not. But you will not get an answer here. Nova devs abandoned this forum over 10 years ago. Nova devs can be contacted within app settings.

Reactions: k500zm

Top Liked Posts

I'm going to stir the pot and say, Nova is an awesome launcher with less than 3rd world support. Nobody responds to bugs, feature enhancement suggestions, feedback let alone acknowledge your message.

That said, I like Nova but am tired of the things needing to be fixed not being so.

I've tried a few launchers and I eithet hate them or one or two important features are missing.

Anyone here still active have suggestions?
    Suggestions 😄:
    1. Suck it up - Nova and its support is what it is.
    2. Go on a hunt for a replacement. You said you "tried a few", now methodically try all the ones you can find.
    3. Get an iPhone.
    4. Bombard support@novalauncher.com and any other channel Nova is on with your issues with the current version.
    5. Wait for the new version (https://www.androidpolice.com/new-nova-launcher-beta-immersive-search/) to see if it improves things.
    6. Rant and complain in every Nova site/forum you can find.
    7. Have fun! It won't fix your problems with Nova, but you'll get some pleasure out of it.

For example, you could respond to this post with a snide comment.

I have a personal saying: "You're always allowed to complain." You might be surprised to find the problem gets address and if it isn't then at least you'll feel a bit better for having complained.
    1) Have been for years.
    2) Trying them 'all' is unlikely as I'm sure there are some OSS I'm not aware of.
    3) You pee against the wind don't you..?
    4) I could try that. I haven't since Nova was bought, maybe I'll have some luck.
    5) Not going to happen. They are probably "niche" at best.
    6) What you think I'm doing here? lol. XDA is about as big of Nova as it gets.
    7) "Pleasure"? I'm not sure we are into the same thing there Mr. Furry.

- IME, being a a-hole won't get you anywhere with a developer. Not only are they only unlikely to fix anything but also unlikely to even look at anything with your name attached. It's not about satisfaction of complaining or venting, this post was genuinely to find an alternative and if the new Nova owners happen to read here maybe reach out.

It took them what 5+ years to just fix beta releases so they actually show up on the PlayStore and not just the website? Progress is being made but I'm going to try '4' with the new owners and see where that goes.
    Nova Launcher 8.0.15 Beta is released.

Changelog

• Add support for web suggestions from Google
    • Allow suggested search queries to be pasted into the search bar
    • Restore the ability to search with a package name
    • Support opening URLs directly without a protocol
    • Immersive search result and card display improvements
    • Ensure the correct assistant from Google is always launched
    • Redesigned What's New page for Nova 7 upgrades
    • Several bug fixes and optimizations
    • Update translations
    I'm going to stir the pot and say, Nova is an awesome launcher with less than 3rd world support. Nobody responds to bugs, feature enhancement suggestions, feedback let alone acknowledge your message.

That said, I like Nova but am tired of the things needing to be fixed not being so.

I've tried a few launchers and I eithet hate them or one or two important features are missing.

Anyone here still active have suggestions?
    Suggestions 😄:
    1. Suck it up - Nova and its support is what it is.
    2. Go on a hunt for a replacement. You said you "tried a few", now methodically try all the ones you can find.
    3. Get an iPhone.
    4. Bombard support@novalauncher.com and any other channel Nova is on with your issues with the current version.
    5. Wait for the new version (https://www.androidpolice.com/new-nova-launcher-beta-immersive-search/) to see if it improves things.
    6. Rant and complain in every Nova site/forum you can find.
    7. Have fun! It won't fix your problems with Nova, but you'll get some pleasure out of it.

For example, you could respond to this post with a snide comment.

I have a personal saying: "You're always allowed to complain." You might be surprised to find the problem gets address and if it isn't then at least you'll feel a bit better for having complained.
    1) Have been for years.
    2) Trying them 'all' is unlikely as I'm sure there are some OSS I'm not aware of.
    3) You pee against the wind don't you..?
    4) I could try that. I haven't since Nova was bought, maybe I'll have some luck.
    5) Not going to happen. They are probably "niche" at best.
    6) What you think I'm doing here? lol. XDA is about as big of Nova as it gets.
    7) "Pleasure"? I'm not sure we are into the same thing there Mr. Furry.

- IME, being a a-hole won't get you anywhere with a developer. Not only are they only unlikely to fix anything but also unlikely to even look at anything with your name attached. It's not about satisfaction of complaining or venting, this post was genuinely to find an alternative and if the new Nova owners happen to read here maybe reach out.

It took them what 5+ years to just fix beta releases so they actually show up on the PlayStore and not just the website? Progress is being made but I'm going to try '4' with the new owners and see where that goes.
    Nova Launcher 8.0.15 Beta is released.

Changelog

• Add support for web suggestions from Google
    • Allow suggested search queries to be pasted into the search bar
    • Restore the ability to search with a package name
    • Support opening URLs directly without a protocol
    • Immersive search result and card display improvements
    • Ensure the correct assistant from Google is always launched
    • Redesigned What's New page for Nova 7 upgrades
    • Several bug fixes and optimizations
    • Update translations
    Nova Launcher is a highly customizable launcher replacement based on the stock Android 4.x Launcher.
    http://novalauncher.com/

Banner.png

Highly customizable, performance driven, home screen replacement for Android 4+
    Features include:
    Custom Grid
    Configure the rows and columns to fit all your app and widget needs.
    Scrollable Dock
    Keep all your favorite apps on the dock, with up to 7 icons per page and up to 3 pages.
    Scroll Effects
    Enjoy eye candy when scrolling your desktop and drawer. Effects include Cube and Cardstack and more for Prime users.
    Infinite Scroll
    Never be far from your favorite page, loop through your desktop continuously.
    Folder Icons
    You can chose a background, preview style or even replace the whole icon.
    Backup/Restore
    Export your settings and layout before a wipe to quickly get back up and running.
    Nova Launcher Prime Features (Paid version)
    Gestures
    Quickly start Nova Actions or Apps from gestures on the desktop, such as pinching, swiping or two-finger swiping.
    Hide Apps
    Keep a clutter free drawer by hidding never used apps.
    Dock Swipes
    Get more use out of your dock apps by setting swipe-actions
    Additional Scroll Effects

Vote for features at the Nova Launcher User Voice. Search before posting a new feature request!

Help Translate

You can access Nova Settings by App Drawer > Menu > Nova Settings or long-press in empty space and tap the wrench.

Permissions:
    INTERNET/ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE/ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Optional & Anonymous error/usage reporting.
    CALL_PHONE: Only used if you place a direct-dial shortcut on the homescreen.
    Wallpaper/Vibrate/Status Bar : Standard Launcher functions
    BIND_APPWIDGET: Only if installed as a system app or root. Required for adding widgets from app drawer.
    WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Backup/restore and beta updates

Download links:

If interested in beta testing please join the beta community at https://plus.google.com/communities/103449253667195874971

then opt-in at https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.teslacoilsw.launcher and you will receive beta updates through the Play Store.

Play Store

Alternatively you may manually download the latest APKs
    Release APK:
    Nova Launcher APK
    Beta APK:
    Nova Launcher Beta APK

Theme Developers
    Check out the example theme at https://github.com/teslacoil/Example_NovaTheme . Also consider adding "#Nova.Theme" to your Play Store description.
    Please find the changelog and beta download links at http://novalauncher.com/beta/
    2.3beta1 Nov 11, 2013
    • Kitkat scroll indicator (Settings > Desktop > Scroll Indicator)
    • Kitkat folders (Settings > Folders > Light Background and Folder Background > Light Circle)
    • Kitkat font (Settings > Look and Feel > Icon Font > Condensed, requires Android 4.1+)
    • Kitkat app drawer (on by default, get the old style by long-press > Edit > tap the icon > Built-in)
    • Transparent system bars on Kitkat (Settings > Look and feel > Transparent Notification Bar)
    • Transparent nav bar on Moto X (Settings > Look and feel > Transparent Navigation Bar)
    • Drawer tab indicator scrolls during tab change
    • Drawer scroll indicator is relative to current tab
    • Scroll indicators animate properly for infinite scroll
    • Backup/Restore from external sdcard (on devices with sdcards)
    • Fast scroll for vertical app drawer
    • Fixes and optimizations

Join the Nova Launcher Beta G+ community, then opt-in .

Or Settings > Check for updates > Menu > Beta or Download the Beta APK

Older Versions:
    Latest Stable APK: 2.2.3 Sep 17, 2013
    https://plus.google.com/109670429793951665860/posts/4BwdcKy5T2b
    Nova Launcher and KitKat

With the recent Android 4.4 (KitKat) update there have been lots of questions about what this means for Nova Launcher. I still need to do a lot more research and work before I have definitive answers for all the questions. However I can give a brief summary of what to expect.

Nova will be updated to include, as options, much of the Nexus 5 launcher's look and feel. I've included a screenshot of an unstable development version of Nova Launcher. You can see KitKat style light folders icons and background, circular page indicator, and transparent system bars (on the Nexus 5). These will be optional so if you prefer the darker Jellybean style you can keep it.

Transparent system bars will not be available to all devices. The system bars are drawn by the SystemUI component, not the launcher. KitKat introduces an API for apps such as Nova Launcher to request that the SystemUI draw these with only a light gradient background. Not all KitKat devices will support this functionality for performance reasons, and Nova will be unable to force it. Also older Android versions are unaware of this new API in KitKat and thus will not get transparent system bars. The exception is that some devices, such as the TouchWiz SGS4, had transparent system bars implemented by the manufacturer skin, and Nova is able to make use of their private APIs for this.

Google Now integration, in the exact same way that Google does so, is not possible. This includes the swipe to the left for Google Now and the "Ok, Google" hotword. The Google Experience Launcher (GEL) is not a stand alone component, but actually a bundle of Google Search, Google Now, and GEL. With current APIs, it's not possible for Nova to access Google Now in the exact same way that the GEL does. However I am looking into ways to achieve similar functionality. Quick access to Google Now is already possible by swiping up from the home button (on devices with navigation bars), or by assigning a Nova Gesture to launch Google Now. Some users have suggested placing a full screen Google Now widget on the left most page. I'll be investigating further enhancements in this area, but it's important to note that the exact Google experience is not possible for non-Google apps.

The new launcher also redesigned the app and widgets drawer. Google has removed Widgets from the App Drawer and now places them in their own drawer accessible by long-pressing in empty space. I'm looking into how a setup like this could work with Nova Launcher. it is not a straightforward change due to Nova's additional functionality such as custom drawer tabs. But it is something I can take inspiration from.

There are also a number of bug fixes and performance improvements that Google has built into the new launcher that I will be investigating. Nova supports a much wider range of android versions and devices than the Google Launcher so performance improvements often need lots of testing or modification to ensure they don't actually hurt performance on some devices.

SMS integration with Hangouts poses a problem for unread badges in Nova Launcher. Unfortunately Hangouts does not provide an API for other apps to access the unread count. I am looking into workarounds.

Some Nova Launcher Prime users have asked if I plan on charging again. Don't worry, the answer is no. Nova Launcher Prime continues to sell well, which is great as I love working on it.

I cannot provide ETAs. I will most likely be spreading some changes across multiple Nova Launcher updates to get them out to users sooner.

I don't have any beta ready for users just yet, but when I do you can help test by joining the beta community at https://plus.google.com/communities/103449253667195874971 and then opt-in for the Nova beta at https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.teslacoilsw.launcher/join and TeslaUnread https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.teslacoilsw.notifier/join . When a beta is ready you will see it as an update in the Play Store. Please note that betas are early releases and are not fully tested yet, if you are uncomfortable with this then please wait until the final release as it will be heavily tested.

NovaKitKat.png
    2.1beta1 May 6, 2013
    • BETA
    • Edit icons and titles of apps in drawer
    • Improved drawer group interface
    • Ability to add drawer folders to desktop
    • New icon and wallpaper picker
    • Improved settings for adding new apps to desktop
    • Support SGS4's transparent notification bar (Only on stock SGS4)
    • Fix drawer not reflecting locale changes
    • Fix for accuweather widget
    • Optimizations and fixes

Settings > Check for updates > Menu > Beta or Download the Beta APK

Older Versions:
    Latest Stable APK: 2.0.2 Apr 5, 2013