[APP][4.0+] PushBullet

Search This thread

joemanbui

Oct 23, 2011
Thank you for making a firefox addon and notification mirroring!! Sometimes, notifications appear to quickly on the pc. Hopefully, there is a way to maybe have a short recent history of notifications in the browser addon or make the notifications appear for a longer period of time. Otherwise, thank you! Keep up the good work!

HYNK

Jul 1, 2012
App is awesome. I really like the fact that I can push links to FF and have them automatically open, if I know it's something I want to look at when I get home. Pocket used to be my go to app for that but PB saves me from opening pocket, opening links and then deleting them.

I cannot get notification mirroring to work however on FF. I tested Chrome and it works fine. Any thoughts?

Right now as a workaround, I have PB running as a Chrome task in the background with Chrome is closed. I don't really use Chrome.

Last edited:

manos78

Jan 17, 2014
Hi,

A very short question: I can "mirror" to multiple devices? I like to receive notifications in my chrome extension AND another Android device.

Thank you!

guzba

Dec 8, 2011
San Francisco
www.pushbullet.com
Responses to a bunch of questions, part 1 of 2

I have the extension installed in Firefox on 2 different PCs but I'm only seeing 1 firefox entry in "devices and friends".

Is that right?

All Firefox installations and all Chrome installations are treated as one device, meaning you'll only have one Chrome and Firefox device no matter how many computers the extension is installed on. (Anything pushed to the 'device' are synchronized between these mulitple installations as well.)

This is because browser security is all about preventing identifying specific computers. We're making desktop apps to offer pushing to specific computers.

- Sometimes I need to activate again the mirroring service. I'm using MIUI Rom, is it affected?

- Will Pushbullet have their own windows app in the future? So user who don't use Chome nor Firefox can use it.

- Can you increase the size limit for file transferring?

- You shouldn't need to keep activating the Mirroring service. Is this still happening?

- We've been making progress on the Windows app--even released a beta not too long ago. (http://blog.pushbullet.com/2014/02/20/a-call-for-windows-beta-testers/)

- We've got some work to do before we increase the file size limit. Right now everything goes through our servers first, but now that we've got a Windows app we can start building out Wifi direct file transfer which will let us make larger files really fast.

I've got 2 firefoxes and one Android phone. At home's computer I see both firefoxes. So I renamed this one at work to differentiate them. Now at work I can't push to home firefox because I don't see it. Maybe because it's switched off? PB doesn't allow to push to unavailable devices? Shouldn't it queue messages when device isn't available?

Sounds like a bug--you shouldn't actually have two Firefox devices which is why one isn't working. If you delete one of them on our website everyting should sort itself out.

I wonder if I've done something that prevents me from opening the pushed map in the mapping app or if Google has changed something in their maps app? Is there anything the Pushbullet could do to send it in a format that would be appropriate for a mapping app?

No, we haven't done anything. This is because of Google's new version of Maps. The URLs it uses aren't recognized by the Google Maps app so it doesn't offer to open them. I think this has been fixed now?

I cant get notification mirroring to work. I enabled it on my device (LG G2 with slimkat 4.4 rom) and have latest firefox extension but every time i get notification in phone it is not showing in firefox. Any idea for a solution ?

Is your computer connected behind a proxy? They can prevent our service from working right now. We can troubleshoot more if you'd like at [email protected]

guzba

Dec 8, 2011
San Francisco
www.pushbullet.com
Responses to a bunch of questions, part 2 of 2

Two things I would like to request is the ability to turn on/off the screen via a push and lastly support for IFTTT(.com) so it can communicate to pushbullet and trigger push's to the phone with important information..for example a stock reaching a price being watched for.

We're working with IFTTT now on integrating--shouldn't be too much longer :)

It would also be helpful to have the from device listed in the push message....what happens if I have two devices doing notification mirroring to the same pc? How do I differentiate between the two?

Yeah, I agree. Added this a few updates back after seeing the suggestion.

Simple and functional app. :good: But there is an issue with the statusbar, I think. I use the Xposed framework with the immerse me mod, which hides the statusbar in all apps. This cuts off the upper half of the statusbar icons in this app. I don't have this with any other app.
irL9aFaEeBJbn4Py

This should be fixed now.

The API that is provided is a real killer ! I use Perl to push everything from my machine to my phone.
The only thing that I still miss is the possibility to list all messages (perhaps with a date filter) within the API-calls like what you see in the INBOX on the webpage. Is it possible to implement this functionality?

Awesome, thanks for using our API! We're going to be opening up more functionality soon (including what you're asking for).

Hi,

Thank you to developers! ;)
With the new version released today (v27) you can configure Chrome to execute the extension IN BACKGROUND. No more need to open Chrome, when you logon in the PC the notification system launches automatically.

BRAVO! Now you can receive ALL of your notifications in your desktop. Great! :good::good::good:

Thank you! :D

Hi,
I like to use PushBullet API to send messages from my NAS server.
But, a 3rd-party API for DEVICES can be feasible?
I would like to submit notifications on my SmartTV!

Please, publish a open API for devices, or create extensions for more platforms.

Thank you!

Custom devices will be part of our public API once we open it up. This will be a project we get working on soon.

A very short question: I can "mirror" to multiple devices? I like to receive notifications in my chrome extension AND another Android device.

Not yet but I do want to build this.

I cannot get notification mirroring to work however on FF. I tested Chrome and it works fine. Any thoughts?

If you go to "Settings" in our app, are you changing the "Mirror to - " setting? (I'm working to get rid of this setting since it's so confusing, but for now, that might be the issue.)

famewolf

Jul 14, 2006
We're working with IFTTT now on integrating--shouldn't be too much longer :)

Yeah, I agree. Added this a few updates back after seeing the suggestion.

Sadly I had to discontinue use of pushbullet. I didn't WANT to do so but the chrome extension continues to die over and over which kinda defeats the purpose. This is on Chromium Version 30.0.1599.66 (225456) on Opensuse 12.3 linux...I reported it to support and got a reply back from Ryan requesting I uninstall and reinstall the extension.....I did so and reported back it was still crashing...this was 4 days ago and have not heard back since. Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• pushbullet.jpg
    pushbullet.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 254

Dan_Aykroyd

Feb 10, 2010
@guzba:

Great app, thanks!

I just started using it along with the Windows beta client. I noticed that any file I push from the phone to PC gives a "Starting downloading..." notification but doesn't actually download the file.

I've seen other users reporting that on the reddit thread too. Will this be possible to get fixed?

Thanks again

RS050377

Jun 4, 2012
If I send files via Pushbullet to a device in the same WIFI network, will it be send directly or also via internet connection? Thanks.

Lukeid

Mar 11, 2014
Wakelocks

Hello guzba,

First of all, thank you very much for your application. I found it really useful. I'm using the notification mirroring and also curl to send notification through your API. :)

But since some days ago it keeps draining my battery. Using programs like BetterBattery Stats or Wakelock Detector, Pushbullet is on top of wakelocks and they report that it makes the phone to be awake for more than 2 hours in a period of 8 hours.

They report that is the "NotificationPostedService" the one that takes all that time.

In order to stop that behavior I need to reboot my phone and after that Pushbullet keeps consuming low battery and with a few wakelocks, but suddenly (I'm not sure when) it starts draining my battery again.

Is there any logs or any way to debug/find out what is happening?

Thank you very much for your help.
Lukeid

Dan_Aykroyd

Feb 10, 2010
HI there,

I think my message was missed. I've been running the Windows Beta Client and the files that I push to it hang in "Downloading File..." but nothing happens. I have to go to pushbullet.com to manually download it.

Also, would it be possible to have the "Send with Pushbullet" context menu item handled as a standard "Send to" Windows shortcut? That way it would be more consistent, wouldn't clutter the right click context menu and would mimic the "Share with..." menu in the Android environment.

Thanks

gosa

Aug 3, 2009
Does anyone else have problems with getting a notification every - and I mean every - minute counting down to calendar events.
- Feels a bit excessive, no?

- Is there a way of controlling "frequency" of events?

rogeriorp

Dec 11, 2013
Does AdAway or such apps mess up with the gcm pushes? I still get mirroring on chrome but there's this notification it failed to register and so, currently trying to troubleshoot it.

JJsevol

Jan 8, 2012
big city
Is there a way to send Pushbullet notifications to your Pocket? I was hoping that was available in IFTT, but don't see that. I tried sending a Pushbullet to my email that's registered to Pushbullet (didn't work), and then forward to Pocket. A way to view your pushed items later in a nice layout like Pocket would be nice.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PushBullet makes it easy to send things (files, notes, lists, links, ++) from your computer to your Android phones and tablets, and now from one Android device to another. It's all about making what you've sent easy to access by using all of the new notification features available in JellyBean, though it still works great for Gingerbread+.

Sending something to your phone or tablet with PushBullet is easy. You can go to pushbullet.com or install the Chrome extension. Just sign in with your Google account in the app and on the web and you're good to go.

You can also share your devices with other people, so they can push to your Android devices, too. This makes it easy to push a grocery list to your spouse or receive beta APKs from a dev friend.

I haven't posted enough to include links :/ sorry.

---

PushBullet has been very well received on the Android subreddit but until now I hadn't reached out to xda for feedback. I'm confident a lot of you would find PushBullet useful so I'd really like to hear how I can make it better for you.
    An update on Pushbullet

It's been 6 months since I posted the above and we've done a lot in that time to make Pushbullet even better so I figured I should bump with an update:

Pushbullet can now show all of your phones' notifications on your computer at the same time. This is amazingly cool and changed the way I think about my phone. All you need to do is have either our Chrome or Firefox extension installed and turn on "Notification Mirroring" in our app. Here's a video demoing the feature: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Fn6na1hVhFo

Pushbullet now has a full-featured Firefox extension (we used to just have a Chrome extension). This is great since we're no longer quite so presumptive about forcing you to use a certain browser to take advantage of Pushbullet.

You can now send anything Pushbullet can push right to friends/family. They'll get notified on all of their devices so they see it wherever they are, then we automatically dismiss it on their other devices after they interact with it on one. It's how quick-sharing should work and we're going to make it a lot better this next year.

Oh and of course Pushbullet can push from your phone to your computer now (we used to just do computer to phone). This makes Pushbullet the easiest way to get pictures/files/etc from your phone and onto your computer.

---

I've attached some screenshots of the updated app. If you're still scratching your head wondering how this adds up, here's a video that does a better job than words do: https://youtube.com/watch?v=jFLEM46Vltk

It'd be amazing to get some feedback from you all--we've got big plans for 2014 and it'd be great to know what you really want to see next :)

Ah yes, one last thing, Pushbullet is 4.0+ now.

---

Here's some links: (Well sort of, I can't post links yet)

Android app: (link in footer of our website)

Chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pushbullet/chlffgpmiacpedhhbkiomidkjlcfhogd

Firefox extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/pushbullet/
    40$ per YEAR?

COME ON!
    I'd pay 10, 15, EVEN 20$ for your full app. BUT ONCE.
    NOT 40 DAMN DOLLARS EVERY DAMN YEAR. Are you guys crazy?
    I'm uninstalling right now. Bye!

Hi everyone,

I am wondering why there is no alternative to push bullet when it comes to answering whatsapp messages on PC.

There is Whatsapp Web.
    Ah certainly, I've added the APK to the post.

I'm glad you like the app and are even using our API! We're going to be adding more functionality to the API soon. My goal is to make it possible for anyone to do just about anything we can do ourselves all via the same API. I think of it kind of like how the Google apps are built on the same Android APIs I get.
    Could you share how did you that with the compiling info? Did you use a simple bash script? Where can I learn to use the api for my own solutions?

It's very simple. Put this in ~/bin and chmod +x and edit the values of "api_key" and "device_id" (line 2 and 3) to reflect your own key/ID:
    Code:
    # Your API key must end with a ':'
    api_key="your_api_key"
    device_id="your_device_id"
    curl https://api.pushbullet.com/api/pushes \
        -u "$api_key" \
        -d device_id="$device_id" \
        -d type=note \
        -d title="$1" \
        -d body="$2" \
        -X POST \
        -s -S > /dev/null
    Let's pretend we named the script 'pushbullet.' You can now simply call it like this:
    Code:
    pushbullet "My notification's title" "My notification's description"

Of course, you can also send something that's not a note, or make a script that allows you to choose what type of push to use:
    Code:
    api_key="your_api_key"
    device_id="your_device_id"

case "$1" in
        note)
            arg1="title"
            arg2="body"
            ;;
        link)
            arg1="title"
            arg2="url"
            ;;
        address)
            arg1="name"
            arg2="address"
            ;;
        list)
            arg1="title"
            arg2="items"
            ;;
        file)
            curl -i https://api.pushbullet.com/api/pushes \
                -u "$api_key" \
                -F device_id="$device_id" \
                -F type=file \
                -F [email protected]"$2" \
                -s -S > /dev/null
            exit
            ;;
        *)
            echo "Unknown option."
            exit
            ;;
    esac

curl https://api.pushbullet.com/api/pushes \
        -u "$api_key" \
        -d device_id="$device_id" \
        -d type="$1" \
        -d "$arg1"="$2" \
        -d "$arg2"="$3" \
        -X POST \
        -s -S > /dev/null
    And to use it (not sure what the exact syntax for a list push's items data fields are, maybe @guzba can give us an actual example for that:)
    Code:
    # syntax: pushbullet <type> <title> <content>
    pushbullet note "Note's title" "Note's description"
    pushbullet link "XDA Portal" 'http://xda-developers.com'
    pushbullet address "Googleplex" "1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy, Mountain View, CA"
    # for files, the syntax is: pushbullet file <file>
    pushbullet file myfile.txt

EDIT: Forgot to answer your question - you can just call the script after the build command, for example (if you're using the first script:)
    Code:
    make bacon && pushbullet "Build Completed" "Yay" || pushbullet "Build Failed" "Oops"

Note that the scripts I've pasted above won't output anything unless an error occurs. They're silent otherwise. See https://www.pushbullet.com/api for the full API/more info on how to get your device's ID/API key.