• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][4.0+] UPC Horizon WIFI-remote for Android

Search This thread

rogro82

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 1, 2008
plus.google.com
Primarily for dutch UPC customers ( who have a Horizon / Samsung SMT-G7400 mediabox )

Current version: 1.0-alpha

HorizonRemote is currently in alpha state and is still in active development.
The alpha version is build for Android 4.x+ ( min SDK level 14 ) in future version I might add backwards compatibility to 2.x
Source is available at https://github.com/rogro82/HorizonRemote

Requirements:

UPC Horizon media-box ( Samsung SMT-G7400 )
Android 4.x device

Post installation notes:

After installation click on "Settings"
In settings click on "Add controller"
Click on the newly created "Controller" in the list.

Give the controller a name as you want it to be shown and enter the IP-address of the media box ( currently there is no device discovery )

You can now go out of settings and you should see the controller..

Usage:

After selecting a controller you should see the remote controller layout and in the ActionBar ( right top ) it should show a status indicator.

This indicator shows the status of the connection with the mediabox. It might show as disconnected after network-loss or due to inactivity. In case of disconnection you can either click the status icon or just press a key on the remote.

In case you have setup multiple controllers you can easily switch by opening the left drawer by either pressing the statusbar icon or by doing a left edge swipe.

Additional input:

Clicking the "ABC" button on the remote should open an on-screen keyboard ( be aware that the MediaBox only supports limited input characters like A-Z ).

The volume up/down keys are currently hardcoded to send channel up/down commands.

Notice:
* In case of issues please be clear and give as many details as possible.

Attachments

• HorizonRemote.apk
    426.4 KB · Views: 9,328
  • Screenshot_2013-10-06-22-46-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-06-22-46-48.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 10,308
  • Screenshot_2013-10-06-22-46-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-06-22-46-30.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 6,895
  • Screenshot_2013-10-06-22-47-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-06-22-47-00.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 6,428
  • Screenshot_2013-10-06-22-47-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-06-22-47-07.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 5,513
Last edited:

Dan_q8

Mar 7, 2006
Was doing my usual "UPC Horizon Android" search and your post just popped up. Very glad to see your project, and hope to be beta testing soon!

Cheers!

rogro82

May 1, 2008
plus.google.com
Basically most stuff is working ( buttons, onscreen keyboard etc ) and the biggest thing todo is adding settings.

If I have enough free time I might have an early beta tomorrow and else somewhere in the next few days.

Last edited:

rogro82

May 1, 2008
plus.google.com
Updated first post with first alpha release.

Be aware that this is an alpha-version and it might contain bugs.
If you come across an issue please be clear and as detailed as possible.

Currently it is build for Android 4.x+, but later versions might receive compatibility to Android 2.x

Last edited:

waits

Mar 16, 2011
Thanks, nice work!
Works on my Samsung tab3 10.1 (Android 4.2.2)
After only 10 minutes of testing I didn't encounter any errors.
However, maybe I will stick to my Harmony One, this IR remote controls my HDMI AVR, TV, media player, BR player, Horizon.

AllSeeyinEye

Dec 16, 2011
This. App. Is. Phenomenal!! And it's absolutely faster than the (new) double sided RC!

You've just created what UPC just can't (or won't?) do for the last year!

Audioffensive

Oct 8, 2013
Apeldoorn
Which IP to use??

Hi guys,

Wich IP address did you use in the app?
I used the same address to wich you browse to set up you're network. But unfortunately no response from the box.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

rogro82

May 1, 2008
plus.google.com
K friends of mine who have UPC should no longer give me access to their WIFI network as their recordings might magically disappear :angel: :D

So people be warned... as you are not able to turn of UPnP on the mediabox ( atleast not that im aware of ) anyone who has access to your WIFI network
is able to remove all your recordings without any form of approval / security.

Last edited by a moderator:

AllSeeyinEye

Dec 16, 2011
I've been using the 1.0 alpha for a week now and I haven't encountered any problems at all.
Only minor 'issue' is that the app doesn't fit my screen entirely (Galaxy SII i9100), the last four buttons (RW, REC, Play/Pause, FW) are only visible after scrolling down. This could be solved by removing the top bar with the controller name and connection status. Perhaps you can highligt the chosen controller in the sidebar and replace the app icon with the connection status of the chosen controller?

Besides the above mentioned I'd say: make it beta or release it already!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Dan_q8

Mar 7, 2006
Works like ronseal!

Nice one Rogro82!
All buttons function quicker than the real remote. A sterling job.
I'm guessing you used a packet sniffer, which leads me to the question, do you have an ipad with the 2 UPC apps on there, and do you fancy having a go at replicating one of them?

rogro82

May 1, 2008
plus.google.com
I've been using the 1.0 alpha for a week now and I haven't encountered any problems at all.
Only minor 'issue' is that the app doesn't fit my screen entirely (Galaxy SII i9100), the last four buttons (RW, REC, Play/Pause, FW) are only visible after scrolling down. This could be solved by removing the top bar with the controller name and connection status. Perhaps you can highligt the chosen controller in the sidebar and replace the app icon with the connection status of the chosen controller?

Besides the above mentioned I'd say: make it beta or release it already!

Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback! Ill think about adding an option to hide the actionbar as mentioned or add an option to choose another layout ( without numeric keys for instance ).

rogro82

May 1, 2008
plus.google.com
Nice one Rogro82!
All buttons function quicker than the real remote. A sterling job.
I'm guessing you used a packet sniffer, which leads me to the question, do you have an ipad with the 2 UPC apps on there, and do you fancy having a go at replicating one of them?

Thanks!

I actually don't have an apple device laying around so I wasnt able to use a packet sniffer.
At first i just did a basic port scan using nmap ( linux ) and figured the opened VNC port wouldnt be there without any use.

Connecting over VNC with most clients failed because they all expect to get a window size larger then 0x0.
Ubuntus build-in Remmina client however didnt loose connection but just presented an empty screen, but I was able to open the info screen on the mediabox by pressing enter and was able to send normal a-z commands in the search screen, but all other media keys werent mapped to any normal keycodes.

So i wrote a small command-line VNC client to scan the entire keycode range to see if I could find all remaining buttons and after a night of scanning and testing I basically figured out the rest of the keys ( which can be found here https://github.com/rogro82/HorizonRemote/blob/master/HorizonRemote/jni/include/keys.hpp ).

I might borrow an ipad one day to check out the official apps, but when it comes down to managing recordings I will not need an actual device as the interface how scheduling etc works is pretty much self-explanatory. Removing and scheduling recordings and other media related tasks are entirely manageable over UPnP and sadly like many other UPnP services without any form of authentication.

So anyone on Ubuntu ( or any other linux distro ) can control his box using tools like gupnp-tools or something similiar and so can anyone else on your WIFI network ( unless you take your own precautions like blocking UPnP ports ).

A recording interface itself wouldnt take too much time to write, but the whole EPG might be a bit more work ( although that data is also accessible over UPnP ).

Currently I am very limited in free time, but as soon as I will have some more time to spend I will take a closer look into the widevine streams to see if there is anything blocking support on Android.

Last edited:

kantjer

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 11, 2010
www.androidfilehost.com
K friends of mine who have UPC should no longer give me access to their WIFI network as their recordings might magically disappear :angel: :D

So people be warned... as you are not able to turn of UPnP on the mediabox ( atleast not that im aware of ) anyone who has access to your WIFI network
is able to remove all your recordings without any form of approval / security.

You can turn UPnP of using the advanced/options tap (web interface) on Horizon Box
I installed the app earlier today and I'm pleasantly surprised about it's stability for an alpha version. But mostly blown away by the speed, like others said before you have managed to do what UPC haven't been able to until now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Primarily for dutch UPC customers ( who have a Horizon / Samsung SMT-G7400 mediabox )

Current version: 1.0-alpha

HorizonRemote is currently in alpha state and is still in active development.
    The alpha version is build for Android 4.x+ ( min SDK level 14 ) in future version I might add backwards compatibility to 2.x
    Source is available at https://github.com/rogro82/HorizonRemote

Requirements:

UPC Horizon media-box ( Samsung SMT-G7400 )
    Android 4.x device

Post installation notes:

After installation click on "Settings"
    In settings click on "Add controller"
    Click on the newly created "Controller" in the list.

Give the controller a name as you want it to be shown and enter the IP-address of the media box ( currently there is no device discovery )

You can now go out of settings and you should see the controller..

Usage:

After selecting a controller you should see the remote controller layout and in the ActionBar ( right top ) it should show a status indicator.

This indicator shows the status of the connection with the mediabox. It might show as disconnected after network-loss or due to inactivity. In case of disconnection you can either click the status icon or just press a key on the remote.

In case you have setup multiple controllers you can easily switch by opening the left drawer by either pressing the statusbar icon or by doing a left edge swipe.

Additional input:

Clicking the "ABC" button on the remote should open an on-screen keyboard ( be aware that the MediaBox only supports limited input characters like A-Z ).

The volume up/down keys are currently hardcoded to send channel up/down commands.

Notice:
    * In case of issues please be clear and give as many details as possible.
    Hi guys,

Wich IP address did you use in the app?
    I used the same address to wich you browse to set up you're network. But unfortunately no response from the box.
    Any ideas?

Thanks!

Boxmenu / Options / diagnostics / somewhere in that menu you can find the IP address.
    Official App launched

Hi

The app is now available in NL https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lgi.orionandroid

Though no access yet for Ireland and Switzerland, so if anyone posts the apk I'd be grateful!