[APP][4.1+] "App manager" - alternative to the default app manger

AndroidDeveloperLB

Mar 30, 2014
Hello
Great App !
Would it be possible to set a parameter to tell what happen when hitting an app in the main view ?
Run or Uninstall
Would be great
Thanks
This is one of the things I plan on adding to the app. It might be a bit complex since I will need to change how the list of options for selected app works.

In any case, sadly, since this is a spare time app, it will take a long time till I get there, as I wish to do other things before.

Currently, I work on fixing issues, improving the UI (recently the app moved to minimum of Android 4.0), and adding support for background batch install using root.

Hope you are happy with the rest.

AndroidDeveloperLB

Mar 30, 2014
I've published a new version today.

Whats's new:

- In case you show the context menu of a live wallpaper app, that doesn't have anything to launch, and you choose to launch it anyway, it will show the corresponding screen to set it as the live wallpaper.

- For Android O and above, added support for creation of shortcuts.
My app is currently the only app I know of, that allows to create shortcuts on Android O, to other apps.

Sadly, this has plenty of limitations compared to what I could do on previous versions of Android:
1. Can't batch create of them in the background
2. shortcuts will get removed if my app is removed.
3. I have super limited control of them after they get created, and I can't remove them. This means the shortcut stays even if the app it launches was removed.
4. They don't support adaptive icons.
5. This feature is available only if the current launcher supports it.
6. Creation of them will be only for the current launcher.
7. Shortcut icon and label are static (can never change, not by my app, at least). I tried to update them upon update of apps, but it didn't work. Hopefully it's a bug on the OS or the launcher, which can be fixed.

I tried to contact Google over the past few months, to make it better, but sadly none of what I wrote was accepted. That's just the way Google wants them to work.
I might be able to make something for rooted devices, but not sure about it.

Last edited:

SKisby

Feb 18, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Save or export list to CSV

I just tried your app. It has many nice features in a simple and functional design. In particular I like the ability to uninstall (were possible) and the support for rooted devices.

Any chance of the following feature being added?

The ability to save or export the entire list as a CSV (or HTML table/XML) file that contains the app name, package name, and other app properties (version, install path, protection, last updated, etc.).

A number of people have requested this feature while submitting a review of other similar apps.

This Google Play app comes close, but only lists some of the apps. I'd like a list of all installed apps (user, system, preinstalled): id=nadesico.Package.Info.List.Lite

Here's a screenshot of a CSV viewer showing a sample of some of the output save information I'm looking for:

This feature would be good for comparing before and after lists to identify malicious apps, or apps that have made the device slower or malfunction. And your program would give the opportunity to uninstall them (where they could be uninstalled). It would also be good for identifying and managing bloatware that is installed on some devices.

Better yet would be a feature where saves are stored as snapshots for a particular date and time, which could then be compared for changes against newer snapshots.

AndroidDeveloperLB

Mar 30, 2014
I just tried your app. It has many nice features in a simple and functional design. In particular I like the ability to uninstall (were possible) and the support for rooted devices.

Any chance of the following feature being added?

The ability to save or export the entire list as a CSV (or HTML table/XML) file that contains the app name, package name, and other app properties (version, install path, protection, last updated, etc.).

A number of people have requested this feature while submitting a review of other similar apps.

This Google Play app comes close, but only lists some of the apps. I'd like a list of all installed apps (user, system, preinstalled): id=nadesico.Package.Info.List.Lite

Here's a screenshot of a CSV viewer showing a sample of some of the output save information I'm looking for:

This feature would be good for comparing before and after lists to identify malicious apps, or apps that have made the device slower or malfunction. And your program would give the opportunity to uninstall them (where they could be uninstalled). It would also be good for identifying and managing bloatware that is installed on some devices.

Better yet would be a feature where saves are stored as snapshots for a particular date and time, which could then be compared for changes against newer snapshots.
OK, I will consider it. I have more important tasks to do on the app though (Google requires it to target Android 8, which I didn't do yet), and people asked for other features that I've started to work on.

But I don't get how this can help with identifying malicious apps.
Also, BTW, my app can show system apps. It's in the filter action item.

SKisby

Feb 18, 2018
Vancouver, BC
OK, I will consider it. I have more important tasks to do on the app though (Google requires it to target Android 8, which I didn't do yet), and people asked for other features that I've started to work on.
Thanks for considering it (and your quick reply)! Yes, I understand.

But I don't get how this can help with identifying malicious apps.
A more advanced feature would have the ability to do "snapshots" where two snapshots could be compared and the differences then highlighted showing app changes (in red?). If you suspect malware (or simply an unruly app) is on the system, that could quickly narrow down the apps under suspicion. Currently, people do that manually. But it would be nice to have an app do that. :)

Just the ability to save the selected list as a CSV file is all that's really needed, though.

Also, BTW, my app can show system apps. It's in the filter action item.
Ah, I was referring to that other Play Store app (whose id is nadesico.Package.Info.List.Lite, as I couldn't included a link directly to it in this form). That other app does a CSV save of the list, but only lists installed (not system) apps and is otherwise not a feature rich as your app.

Last edited:

AndroidDeveloperLB

Mar 30, 2014
Thanks for considering it (and your quick reply)! Yes, I understand.

A more advanced feature would have the ability to do "snapshots" where two snapshots could be compared and the differences then highlighted showing app changes (in red?). If you suspect malware (or simply an unruly app) is on the system, that could quickly narrow down the apps under suspicion. Currently, people do that manually. But it would be nice to have an app do that. :)

Just the ability to save the selected list as a CSV file is all that's really needed, though.

Ah, I was referring to that other Play Store app (whose id is nadesico.Package.Info.List.Lite, as I couldn't included a link directly to it in this form). That other app does a CSV save of the list, but only lists installed (not system) apps and is otherwise not a feature rich as your app.
Well, you can always sort the apps by which was installed (and it's actually the default sorting too), so you can notice new apps already.
You can also already share the list of apps into whichever app you wish. Just choose them all, and choose to share, and then choose to share the links. It includes app name and Play/Amazon store links (depending on how the app has detected it).

And, system apps do not usually get installed so easily.

Last edited:

AndroidDeveloperLB

Mar 30, 2014
I've published today a new alpha version, which has some important changes :
  1. Changed the way the app asks for permissions, to save all the trouble later. All are asked about at the beginning. This is because I had to also ask for the usage-stats permission on Android 8.0, for fetching app size. Now it will ask all at the beginning, including even root.
  2. Finally targeting Android 8.0 and above. If you don\'t like the notification, you can hide it by clicking it. Alternatively, you can long click on the notification and then go to this setting from there.
  3. Using official app size fetching on Android 8.0 and above. Since it's so quick, removed the alternative method.

Reactions: nextheart

AndroidDeveloperLB

Mar 30, 2014
Can you add please app backup restore with it's data support?
Thank you.
Already planned on the huge To-Do list for this app.
Sadly this one will take a very long time, because it's not so trivial, so I prefer to do other, smaller things first.
It's a spare time app just like the other apps I have on the Play Store. I have to choose some priorities for what I do on each...

I suggest you to use other apps that do this well, such as Titanium backup and others.

Last edited:
Reactions: RickyRicardo851120

shriganesh

Oct 17, 2012
Hi,

I really liked the app and so I had donated. But in some of my devices I still see the donate banner! Can you let me know what to do? Cuz I don't see a restore purchases option anywhere!

AndroidDeveloperLB

Mar 30, 2014
Hi,

I really liked the app and so I had donated. But in some of my devices I still see the donate banner! Can you let me know what to do? Cuz I don't see a restore purchases option anywhere!
The app uses what Google services tells it. It asks whether the user has paid or not.
The way I've understood how it works is as such:
If you have a device that isn't registered with the account you've paid with (as the main account), the app gets a result that the current user hasn't paid.

If for some reason this is not how it works for you, I can give you a refund if you wish.
I can't control the purchases though, so there is no way to restore a purchase. I don't even have a server. You can contact Google if you wish. Maybe it's a bug on their side.

AndroidDeveloperLB

Mar 30, 2014
Published a new version today, that has the ability for you to choose what to do upon single tap on app-list item.

A lot of people asked for this, so I decided to finally do it :)

Hope you like it.

If anyone find a bug, please let me know.

Last edited: