[APP][4.1+] AppChat - A chat room for every app on your phone (Alpha)

Search This thread

megamattron

Aug 29, 2014
New York
flowhome.co
Hi everyone, this is a bit of a crazy idea we hacked together over the past few days. It automatically puts you in a chat room for every app you have installed on your phone so you can talk in real time with everyone else who has the same app. We're releasing it as a an early alpha to get feedback, i.e. is this totally dumb or kind of fun? :good::cyclops:

UPDATE 5: We're now in *BETA* as of version 1.3. Just added user profiles, wallpapers, auto translation of messages to your language, and a lot more. Hope you like it!

UPDATE: Also in the play store now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.larvalabs.myapps
UPDATE2: Just uploaded a new build to the play store with the following new stuff:
* Clickable links in messages
* Like button with like count!
* Fixed a bunch of screenshot sharing bugs
* More messages visible per chat
* Spam filtering and banning based on flagging messages
* Crash fixes

UPDATE3: Another quick update just posted to the store: v1.02. It lets you delete your own messages, a big user request after a few mistaken screenshot posts. We're also working on a lot of behind the scenes Troll Control(tm) and other improvements to the app.

UPDATE4: Just posted v1.2 which includes device chats (I'm in "Nexus 6 chat" for example) and "watching" rooms to let you be notified of every new message in a room.

Still working on stuff, but thought we should get that out there immediately. Hopefully even if you installed the APK directly you'll get the update.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Here’s some more features:

• We automatically detect which app a screenshot is for and offer to upload it to that chat.
  • Swipe in from the bottom right of your screen when in any app and you can jump straight to the chat for that app.
  • All the usual chat stuff: you can like messages, mention users, etc.

Hope you like it, let me know if you have suggestions or feature requests!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-30-15-17-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-30-15-17-54.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 142,656
  • Screenshot_2015-04-30-12-23-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-30-12-23-47.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 144,508
  • Screenshot_2015-04-30-14-33-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-30-14-33-41.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 142,758
  • Screenshot_2015-04-24-12-23-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-24-12-23-01.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 142,622
Last edited:

megamattron

Aug 29, 2014
New York
flowhome.co
Awesome, glad you're liking it! It's definitely an experiment right now, but obviously the more people who use it the better it gets. I could see it being used for asking for help with an app or game (how do I get past this level?), trading high scores, talking about new versions of an app, etc.

parkerlreed

Oct 20, 2009
The apk link has the wrong mime-type set server side. At least in Firefox this causes it to open as a text document.

Great idea and I definitely will give this a try.

Reactions: megamattron

bs0l

Feb 27, 2015
This is genius.

You should add a search function, to quickly find apps you want to chat about. Also maybe a sort option, like sorting by most recent messages.

Last edited:

chi22ko

Nov 15, 2013
screenshot

Hi, loved the app, but the screenshot thing isn't working.

Also, the idea of a search bar is really good.

Quipeace

Mar 5, 2010
Soest
It would be perfect if the chat window would actually open in the bottom right on top of the app. I'd be more tempted to actually use it that way, especially on tablets where we can continue using an app while the chat is open.

Perhaps something like Facebook's chat heads would work here really well.

diegogarciamendoza

Jan 4, 2012
Mexico City
Suggestion

This is absolutely a great idea!!!! :good: :good: :good:

Suggestions:
You can clean from spaces the user id.
Or use some credentials like google and twitter
Ability to sort apps by name
Ability to hide apps (some of them don't make me proud u.u)
Eventually one problem will be about moderation issues. xda it's a great community but winter is coming.

Etc etc etc, but dude, this is awesome!!!! Love it

oreo27

Sep 24, 2012
Great idea indeed! Now users who are using the same application can get quick info and discuss the application with one another.

Reactions: megamattron

xbbdc

Aug 9, 2011
it looks pretty awesome. wish i had an android phone at the moment to test it out!

Dark3n

Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2007
twitter.com
I really like this idea, hope this catches on too!

How are you storing/organising the data in your backend?

Micah72

Feb 10, 2014
This is amazing. And so original that it delights my bones.

A word of caution : provisions for spam blockage and overcrowding of a single room are in order.

Good luck, amazing stuff.
Sent from my trusty GT-I8262

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone, this is a bit of a crazy idea we hacked together over the past few days. It automatically puts you in a chat room for every app you have installed on your phone so you can talk in real time with everyone else who has the same app. We're releasing it as a an early alpha to get feedback, i.e. is this totally dumb or kind of fun? :good::cyclops:

UPDATE 5: We're now in *BETA* as of version 1.3. Just added user profiles, wallpapers, auto translation of messages to your language, and a lot more. Hope you like it!

UPDATE: Also in the play store now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.larvalabs.myapps
    UPDATE2: Just uploaded a new build to the play store with the following new stuff:
    * Clickable links in messages
    * Like button with like count!
    * Fixed a bunch of screenshot sharing bugs
    * More messages visible per chat
    * Spam filtering and banning based on flagging messages
    * Crash fixes

UPDATE3: Another quick update just posted to the store: v1.02. It lets you delete your own messages, a big user request after a few mistaken screenshot posts. We're also working on a lot of behind the scenes Troll Control(tm) and other improvements to the app.

UPDATE4: Just posted v1.2 which includes device chats (I'm in "Nexus 6 chat" for example) and "watching" rooms to let you be notified of every new message in a room.

Still working on stuff, but thought we should get that out there immediately. Hopefully even if you installed the APK directly you'll get the update.

attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

Here’s some more features:

• We automatically detect which app a screenshot is for and offer to upload it to that chat.
    • Swipe in from the bottom right of your screen when in any app and you can jump straight to the chat for that app.
    • All the usual chat stuff: you can like messages, mention users, etc.

Hope you like it, let me know if you have suggestions or feature requests!
    Omg...who came up with this great idea...this needs to be featured on xda...hope it doesn't die
    Just posted v1.03 to the store, should be out in an hour or so. It has a bunch of bug fixes along with:

* Emoji!
    * Chat room search
    * Lots of screenshot uploading fixes
    * Message times

We're working on a bunch more stuff right now so we'll keep the releases coming! Thanks for all your awesome feedback, we're making notes of all of it and trying to work through the top items as fast as we can.
    Just posted a new version to the store: 1.2, it's a big one including some stuff suggested here in the forums:

• Device chats! You will now join a chat with other people who own the same phone as you. For example, I'm in "Nexus 6 chat".
    • You can now "watch" rooms to get heads up notifications for every new message posted. This is an experiment, but seems to be a good way to stay connected to several rooms at once.
    • Notification improvements that include more info and allow you to go back to room list when you jump straight into a chat.
    • Working on even more stuff, but let me know what you think!

Keep the feedback coming, we're still working on more stuff!
    Agreed on both of those issues. We need a better way to organize chat rooms in general. I didn't think there'd be this much activity right away so it seemed like putting rooms with new messages up top would make the most sense, but now it's confusing. Maybe pinning favorite rooms or something like that. Will hopefully figure something out over the next couple days.

Thanks!