• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP][4.1+] Google Now with independant locale

Search This thread

adam_99

Nov 26, 2007
for those of you who want google now in any language.
I discovered this alternative way to get it working.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1574401

just set app search to english language. It works!

That's what I use.
Someone already gave this solution:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38609228&postcount=156
Thnx anyway!

EDIT:
I just tried to ask the voice search a question and it won't answer in the app, it asks me to choose a browser...
Has anyone experienced this problem?

Last edited:

ofird

Feb 8, 2008
I couldnt get this to work on CM 10.1 (galaxy S3) - i have QuickSearchBox.apk and unfortunately couldn't install the Xposed package, I got an error that cannot read files.

the MoreLocale2 didnt help as well.

Anything can be done?

Last edited:

tobitronics

Jan 20, 2011
I have 2 questions about this:

1. Is this an app that I have to manually update myself everytime a new update comes out from google?
2. So if I have my phone on Dutch, will this mean that I can speak dutch to it and it talks back in dutch? So what does the location independency mean?

zxzyzd

Feb 6, 2011
I have 2 questions about this:

1. Is this an app that I have to manually update myself everytime a new update comes out from google?
2. So if I have my phone on Dutch, will this mean that I can speak dutch to it and it talks back in dutch? So what does the location independency mean?

Just look at the picture in the OP, that should tell you enough ;) As you can see you talk English and the card it gives you is in your own language

pkadavid

May 12, 2011
Austin, TX
The MoreLocale2 app doesn't work, or maybe it's not doing what I'm expecting. Here is my situation:

- I'm in the US.
- I want the system language to be German
- I want Google Now to be in English

So far, all of these things are possible with the standard Android settings. However, what I don't get with these settings is the full features of Google Now. Unless I switch my system language to English, I won't see certain cards like the new suggested research or even sports cards. I just tried it, and with the system language set to English, I see all of the cards (even if Google Now is set to German). It is all based on the system language.

I tried the MoreLocale2 app with sys language set to German and country set to US. All of the extra cards (like sports) disappeared. I cleared cache and dalvik cache for good measure but to no avail.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. I'm on stock and rooted 4.3 and have the newest version of the Google Search app installed.

mcjordan92

May 27, 2011
I've Google Now version 2.7.9.789824.arm
And it's working fine.
I don't have CM 10.1 so I can't tell you if the problem is in it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Try the command "Find me a pizzeria around" on it.
Unless you are a true American that shouldn't be working for ya (simply going for web search instead of pop up card with maps of Pizza places)..
You can also try "Listen to <name of a song>" and see if it play or search..
Or if you really wanna get the prove, say "What song is this" and it will say "Not supported in this country".. and then you will say "@$%#[email protected]#$"

In my case it fails both :(
I can set alarm but no play music..
I wish I could get it back some how.. it seems like the internet people has stopped caring about this since ~August..

Last edited:

adam_99

Nov 26, 2007
Unless you are a true American that shouldn't be working for ya (simply going for web search instead of pop up card with maps of Pizza places)..
Or if you really wanna get the prove, say "What song is this" and it will say "Not supported in this country".. and then you will say "@$%#[email protected]#$"

I wish I could get it back some how.. it seems like the internet people has stopped caring about this since ~August..

None of them working...

soder

Mar 19, 2010

I use SE (Sweden) as locale, but US (English) as language. Find me a pizzeria, showed me a card with maps, and the voice told me where to get it. Listen to.. didn't play me any music, not from Spotify, and not from Google Music. But, I know that "Listen to... " has been working before, long before Google Now..

/Söder

mcjordan92

May 27, 2011
I use SE (Sweden) as locale, but US (English) as language. Find me a pizzeria, showed me a card with maps, and the voice told me where to get it. Listen to.. didn't play me any music, not from Spotify, and not from Google Music. But, I know that "Listen to... " has been working before, long before Google Now..

/Söder
The playing operation with voice is the whole big issue for me, thats mainly the reason why I search so hard for a solution..
In mean while I tried "Assistant" Utter!", "Skyve", "AIVC" and some other chinese crap..
All of them do functional and got few cool stuffs.. Unfortunately none of them is smooth or easy or any close to fast as the Google..

soder

Mar 19, 2010
The playing operation with voice is the whole big issue for me, thats mainly the reason why I search so hard for a solution..
In mean while I tried "Assistant" Utter!", "Skyve", "AIVC" and some other chinese crap..
All of them do functional and got few cool stuffs.. Unfortunately none of them is smooth or easy or any close to fast as the Google..

Well, the problem is that I WANT to keep my phone in english, even though I live in Sweden. I think the main reason with this thread is to be able to keep the phone is Swedish, but get Google Now to be in english and then work.

I use Xposed Installer and App Settings to set my Maps in Swedish, even though I keep the phone in english. You may try the same with Google Now.

/Söder

mcjordan92

May 27, 2011
Well, the problem is that I WANT to keep my phone in english, even though I live in Sweden. I think the main reason with this thread is to be able to keep the phone is Swedish, but get Google Now to be in english and then work.

I use Xposed Installer and App Settings to set my Maps in Swedish, even though I keep the phone in english. You may try the same with Google Now.

/Söder

I do exactly the same just in Hebrew instead.
Maps integrated to my locale but whole system is English (parts of settings I putted Hebrew too)..
Google now by default in English and I also forced it to be an absolute English with Apps settings.. both cases fail..

Theres a new update came out yesterday for Google now with hot word for "Okay Google" command from locked screen.. BUT only for US..
seriously *[email protected]$ you, Google..

fcjan

Nov 2, 2011
Zagreb
Tried the mod, see no difference, no big deal, go update on Play Store, can't.. delete your modded app and apk from system, still can't install Google Search, what else do I need to delete?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    google_now.png

After flashing Jelly Bean to my device I quickly discovered the problem which many non-US members have been talking about, it was impossible to use Google Now to it's full potential without changing the system language to English (US). I thought that there had to be some simple solution to this problem, so I searched around here on xda for any mod that fixed this, but there wasn't any success. So, after some simple smali editing I now present to you

Google Now with independant locale
    This mod allows you to continue using Google Now as you're used to, but without having to compromise with your own language of choice - Whether it be Spanish, French, Swedish or any other language that is supported as of Jelly Bean. The only thing that is required is replacing the old Google Now apk with the new one.

Disclaimer
    - You are responsible for anything that could potentially harm your device by using this app. If you are worried, make a Nandroid.
    - I can't guarantee that this will mod will work on your device/configuration. If it doesn't, please provide a logcat so I attempt to fix the problem.

Download link below the screenshot

Screenshot showing Google Now in Swedish
    device-2012-07-27-151216.png

Installation Instructions
    (Requires Jelly Bean or above)
    1. Download the file from dl.dropbox.com/u/22829424/Velvet.apk (unclickable because of insufficient post count)
    2. Remount /system with read/write permissions
    3. Copy the apk to /system/app/Velvet.apk
    IMPORTANT - If Velvet.apk does not already exist in /system/app/ it could be having another name. If GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk is there, replace that file instead.
    4. Remount /system with read-only permissions again
    5. Install the apk as you would the normal way (Users on the Swedish forum I originally posted this on found this to be required)

If you want to perform step 2 - 4 using adb, these are the commands to use
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb push Velvet.apk /system/app/Velvet.apk
    adb remount
    Great mod!!

I updated and signed the JB gapps pack with your modded apk for easy flashing.

http://mirrorafile.com/files/06V1EP8L/JBAPPS-SIGNED.zip
    Okay, I never had the time to create a post yesterday, but here's the flashable zip.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22829424/googlenow_customlocale.zip

Note that this zip will install a library in /system/lib, this should originally be in /data/data, but I haven't found a way to keep the library in there across reboots.

The OP will be updated later today.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Never tried working with apk files or editing them, I assume it would be wise to look for the differences between the modded version and the original one, and apply those edits on the new version.
    Any idea how to check those differences..?

Sent from my GT-I9300 / Firefds v11 ELK4 / Phenomenal 4.0 Extreme kernel
    XDA Premium (HD)

i can do it but i need the original old version of google now to compare with the modded one..... forget it.... that version is in Google Apps :D i will work on it now :D
    Just so you guys now, I haven't completely abandoned this project. I have been quite busy lately, hence I haven't been able to provide support in this thread - that changes as of now!

About the new update of Google Now:
    I have spent part of the weekend trying to find the one line that matters instead of replacing multiple lines that looks the same. This is partly to avoid conflicts with other locale specific stuff (weather forecast for example) and because the apk wasn't obfocused this time, resulting in me not being able to use a diff tool.

There will also be an official update zip now because the process of installing the new version has advanced. I will provide information for installing manually as well.

The flashable zip is almost complete and will be uploaded soon (expect an hour or two, I'm not at home right now).

Questions will be answered when the new version is out, thanks for being patient :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk