[APP][4.1+] Knockr - Lockscreen

Search This thread

Acela1230

Apr 10, 2013
Long Island
sites.google.com
After seeing a lot of comparison videos of the HTC One m8 and the Galaxy S5 I realized one of the big things HTC has is their motion launch gestures. Unfortunately for HTC it is limited to doing just a few things. So since the Galaxy S5 has an OLED screen which is turned "off" when displaying black pixels, I figured I could create something like the motion launch gestures that uses minimal battery.

So I created Knockr an app that allows users with OLED Screen devices, like the Samsung Galaxy S5 and Moto X, to quickly enter an app with gestures without having to turn the screen on.

Gestures include:
Double Tap: Double tap the screen to open any app you choose or unlock the screen

Swipe Up, Down, Left, Right: Users can set each Swipe to open a separate app or unlock the screen

Long Press: Long press the screen to open any app you choose or unlock the screen

Volume Up when in Landscape: Pressing the volume up button when the device is in Landscape will automatically open the camera

I am still working on improving some of the things in Knockr, but wanted to post it on here to get some feedback and suggestions to make it better.

**EDIT**
The newest update 2.1 now includes Knocks. Knocks is like LG's Knock Code. You can create multiple Knocks to unlock or open apps.

XDA:DevDB Information
Knockr, App for the Android General

Contributors
Acela1230

Version Information

Created 2014-05-04
Last Updated 2014-12-01

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-12-17-08-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-12-17-08-24.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 4,744
  • Screenshot_2014-11-30-23-06-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-30-23-06-51.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 4,673
  • Screenshot_2014-07-09-03-32-14.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-09-03-32-14.png
    235.6 KB · Views: 4,673
Last edited:

ViolentR

Nov 9, 2011
Going to give it a try with my Galaxy S4 Mini, I hope it's not too harsh on the battery. Nevertheless this application seems like a great idea, Thank you.

EDIT: Seems to work very well. Just a few things I noticed.
-The screen can turn on by a single touch to the screen (it will then display lockscreen)
-The backlight keys turn on after the app is activated once the screen is locked (the keys are only on for a few seconds on my phone anyway, no big deal)
-Is it possible to decrease the delay between when the phone is locked and when the Knockr app is loaded/active?

Last edited:

JoeFCaputo113

Feb 2, 2013
New York
What an awesome app! My only recommendation is to take away the one tap to turn on the screen, as the screen can accidentally turn on in your pocket very easily and cause unwanted battery drain.

Reactions: Zheen and Acela1230

Acela1230

Apr 10, 2013
Long Island
sites.google.com
Going to give it a try with my Galaxy S4 Mini, I hope it's not too harsh on the battery. Nevertheless this application seems like a great idea, Thank you.

-The screen can turn on by a single touch to the screen (it will then display lockscreen)
-The backlight keys turn on after the app is activated once the screen is locked (the keys are only on for a few seconds on my phone anyway, no big deal)
-Is it possible to decrease the delay between when the phone is locked and when the Knockr app is loaded/active?

Thanks for the feedback. It shouldn't use much battery especially if you use the power management since you probably wont have your phone turned off to often outside of your pocket during the day and if you do you can just turn it over and still get the same benefit.

I have already uploaded a new version that has removed the single tap action so there aren't any false touches registered. It also made the screen on an option to choose for any of the gestures. It also fixes a bug that cause Knockr to close when the orientation was changed after being pocketed.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to load Knockr any faster since I already have it setup to load as fast as possible. The problem is that I have to use a broadcast receiver to receive the screen off and the broadcast takes a little bit of time to be sent out (I'll keep looking for ways to make it faster though).

mangordi89

Sep 21, 2010
Really cool app!

Few recommendations:

1. Any way to show clock and notifications every couple of seconds? (Ex 15s)

2. Way to bypass knockr when power button is pressed.

Thanks!

Sent from my Moto X using XDA Free mobile app

quaker1985

May 9, 2013
mumbai
awesome app

awesome app.
but there is delay while unlocking phone (or performing any action while screen is locked).
i don't know it is because of my s3 or app
but cool idea.
one more suggestion screen should be unlocked after pressing power button.

ravijani

Jan 19, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Moto G
mind blowing app.
works great.

thanks for this and keep going on.
it is really nice idea. :)

questions :
can it detect multi finger on screen off? we might get more gesture thts why only.
screen segmentation? means on some part of screen it detects then that gesture recognized.

just some ideas.

Last edited:

tyler78

Dec 7, 2011
Turkey
Awesome app. Just awesome. I didn't want to install a custom kernel just for this feature and now I don't have to. Working great at the moment. Power button is no use for unlocking but app is working with almost no hitch.

A suggestion for people who use this. Install screen on&off from play store and add that to nova launcher's double tap gesture to lock the screen. Now you can use double tap to both locking and unlocking. :)

Also, I have to swipe twice to open an app. Can't we do that with one swipe?

Edit: It opens with one swipe but it isn't always working. Needs some work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Justinchi

herobrine_second

Nov 17, 2012
Singapore
App works on Galaxy S3, only that the proximity sensor thing for pockets, it isn't very accurate. I kinda cheated to test it, covered my sensor, then swiped left to try to launch camera, and it did. I didn't want my camera to be turned on and heating my phone in my pocket during school :p

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

noahvt

Jan 27, 2013
Antwerpen
I don't have a OLED lcd panel but I decided to try it. is it because I don't have a OLED panel that the screen shows black with 2 navigation buttons on it? And if that's the reason is there a way to make it work on TFT panels?

culturedkey

Apr 30, 2014
Multi window bug

***FOR OLED SCREENS ONLY***
After seeing a lot of comparison videos of the HTC One m8 and the Galaxy S5 I realized one of the big things HTC has is their motion launch gestures. Unfortunately for HTC it is limited to doing just a few things. So since the Galaxy S5 has an OLED screen which is turned "off" when displaying black pixels, I figured I could create something like the motion launch gestures that uses minimal battery.

So I created Knockr an app that allows users with OLED Screen devices, like the Samsung Galaxy S5 and Moto X, to quickly enter an app with gestures without having to turn the screen on.

Gestures include:
Double Tap: Double tap the screen to open any app you choose or unlock the screen

Swipe Up, Down, Left, Right: Users can set each Swipe to open a separate app or unlock the screen

Long Press: Long press the screen to open any app you choose or unlock the screen

Volume Up when in Landscape: Pressing the volume up button when the device is in Landscape will automatically open the camera

I am still working on improving some of the things in Knockr, but wanted to post it on here to get some feedback and suggestions to make it better.

Knockr, a App for the Android General

Contributors
Acela1230

Version Information

Created 2014-05-04
Last Updated 2014-05-04
Hey! This works very nicely! I'm having no problems so far. However, on my stock 4.4.2 Samsung Note 3 N900W8, I've noticed that if I have Multi Window on (use two apps at the same time), the multi window tab shows on the screen when Knockr becomes active. Specifically, I turn off my screen using the power button, and a second or two later the tab pops up. I don't know if this can be prevented without turning multi window off entirely, but thought I'd bring it up. Great app!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Gestures include:

**EDIT**
    The newest update 2.1 now includes Knocks. Knocks is like LG's Knock Code. You can create multiple Knocks to unlock or open apps.

Knockr, App for the Android General

Contributors
    Acela1230

Version Information

Created 2014-05-04
    Last Updated 2014-12-01
    Hey everyone this app is still under development. I have been really busy and under the weather for the last month. I just got back to finishing some of the updates to the app and just testing them before I release the update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium HD app

Thanks for the feedback. It shouldn't use much battery especially if you use the power management since you probably wont have your phone turned off to often outside of your pocket during the day and if you do you can just turn it over and still get the same benefit.

I have already uploaded a new version that has removed the single tap action so there aren't any false touches registered. It also made the screen on an option to choose for any of the gestures. It also fixes a bug that cause Knockr to close when the orientation was changed after being pocketed.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to load Knockr any faster since I already have it setup to load as fast as possible. The problem is that I have to use a broadcast receiver to receive the screen off and the broadcast takes a little bit of time to be sent out (I'll keep looking for ways to make it faster though).
    Looks like another abandoned thread by developer. :( Wonderful app though

Not abandoned. I just have no new information to give. I am trying to update knockr with some more features but ever since android l preview came out eclipse has been working correctly. Sometimes it works and other times it tells me that all my projects have errors. Just have to be patient.

Ok just uploaded the new update. Should be available in the morning (EST).

Some of the highlights being 10 new gestures and I changed the 'keep screen off' option to 'lockscreen only' and created a sorta lockscreen out of it (if this part becomes popular I will try and add the ability to have widgets). The lockscreen option makes Knockr a much better app in my opinion and opens it up to other devices outside of OLED ones.