[APP][4.1+] Krypton Web Browser - Private, fast, simple.

Search This thread

Kr36

Nov 30, 2014
We wanted a better baseline for web browsing (simple, private, ad free, anonymous), so we built Krypton.

xshots-xda.png

Krypton Anonymous is:
  • Focused on security, privacy, and anonymity. Never saves or transmits your browsing habits. Tightly integrated with Tor and HTTPS Everywhere. Loads each tab is an isolated OS process, with it’s own cookie store and local storage.
  • Minimal mobile friendly design and experience.
  • Open source, based on the Chromium project. Not a Web view. Find us on Github.

Additionally Krypton Anonymous has upgrades for ad blocking, full screen browsing, history, auto-login and other "everyday" browsing features.

Download Now: Search for "Krypton Anonymous" on Google Play

Email: [email protected]

Edit:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.kr36.krypton.x
https://github.com/kr36/seaturtle
Latest Version: 100-899

Last edited:

nagendraps

Sep 23, 2012
Bangalore
I have been using free version for sometime and I find its one of the best tor bundled browser even still it is in beta stage. It is so simple to setup & surf anonymous. Besides it works most of the time and faster than Tor browser for desktop.
It is nice to see developer has started XDA thread, I have couple of questions
what's difference between free and pro version other than being ad-free, are there any extra settings available?
Do I get any alert in case if browser fails to Tor networks?

thanks

Reactions: Kr36

Lambert Verner

Apr 20, 2009
Great work! I love when someone take security seriously and goes full transparency.
Quick question, though: I already have Tor installed and are torifying all apps. Would it mess with my installed version of Tor to install Krypton? And would I be able to use the bundled Tor the same way as the full Tor package from Google Play?

Thanks in advance, keep up the good work!

Reactions: farangcm and Kr36

Kr36

Nov 30, 2014
I have been using free version for sometime and I find its one of the best tor bundled browser even still it is in beta stage. It is so simple to setup & surf anonymous. Besides it works most of the time and faster than Tor browser for desktop.
It is nice to see developer has started XDA thread, I have couple of questions
what's difference between free and pro version other than being ad-free, are there any extra settings available?
Do I get any alert in case if browser fails to Tor networks?

thanks

Glad to hear you like our app! The paid version has history and favorites, and additionally unlocks features in both apps, such as ad block, full screen browsing, and find in page support.
If Tor disconnects you will be notified via a black bar that appears just above the URL (the same one that appears when Tor is connecting). You can also long press the Tor icon to see the Tor log.

Reactions: nagendraps

Kr36

Nov 30, 2014
Great work! I love when someone take security seriously and goes full transparency.
Quick question, though: I already have Tor installed and are torifying all apps. Would it mess with my installed version of Tor to install Krypton? And would I be able to use the bundled Tor the same way as the full Tor package from Google Play?

Hey Lambert,
Glad you are enjoying our work! Using Krypton's bundled copy of Tor should not interfere with Orbot. If you want to use other apps with Tor, I suggest keeping Orbot. Soon we will be providing a way to specify a custom proxy, (e.g. Orbot) instead of the bundled Tor. Stay tuned!

Kr36

Nov 30, 2014
Please attach apk to OP.
Not everyone has / has access to play store.
Thank you in advance

Adding Latest version number and changelog also would be great.

Hey m0d,
The app has a large native component (a shared library that is ~19MB), so the full apk exceeds XDA's limits for upload. :(

m0d

Nov 3, 2010
The app does not work properly, as in anonymously.
Before tor connects you are able to surf the web with your location known to all.

Also, you can browse without connecting to tor at all, which defeats the purpose mentioned in a the title, "Krypton Anonymous".
I do, however, like having the option to use without tor as it has a nice interface.
But as far as security goes, not secure at all, as the app started to search before connecting to tor (tor was still trying to connect) and location/ip was not hidden

Not sure if you fixed this issue though
Hope to see progress

What is the latest version of the app, by the way?
It would be nice to have it somewhere, website/plus page/play store

Last edited:
Reactions: udaan

Kr36

Nov 30, 2014
The app does not work properly, as in anonymously.
Before tor connects you are able to surf the web with your location known to all.

Also, you can browse without connecting to tor at all, which defeats the purpose mentioned in a the title, "Krypton Anonymous".
I do, however, like having the option to use without tor as it has a nice interface.
But as far as security goes, not secure at all, as the app started to search before connecting to tor (tor was still trying to connect) and location/ip was not hidden

Not sure if you fixed this issue though
Hope to see progress

What is the latest version of the app, by the way?
It would be nice to have it somewhere, website/plus page/play store

Hey m0d,

If you're demands for anonymity are high, I suggest enabling the "Tor always on" setting, this should hopefully address your concern. I'd like to also note the browser does more than just proxy your connection through Tor. Cookies, cached data, and various other bits of state are never written to disk, and cleared from memory when you close a tab. Additionally we attempt to mitigate fingerprinting by disabling certain browser functionality.

I'll add a version # to the post in a moment.

Reactions: m0d

m0d

Nov 3, 2010
Hey m0d,

If you're demands for anonymity are high, I suggest enabling the "Tor always on" setting, this should hopefully address your concern. I'd like to also note the browser does more than just proxy your connection through Tor. .

I am just pointing out what seemed like a bug, as you are advertising your app as Krypton Anonymous. I did mention that I liked the ability too disable tor and browse normally, too.
However, there needs to be a way to make sure which option the app is using. I did try setting "Tor always on", do not remember if it solved the issue, will try again.
But that means, to me, that you do not close tor, it does not sound like it has anything to do with being able to browse before connecting to tor. Users reading the article on your app - http://www.xda-developers.com/android/krypton-web-browser-privacy/, will be under the impression that your browser is an anonymous browser. But they need to be aware that in some cases that is not the case, as your browser allows you to browse before connecting to tor
There should be at least a pop-up warning that your are not yet connecting to tor before it browses.
I suggest an Anonymous mode switch in settings or in the menu (something like desktop mode in many other browsers) which forces you to wait until tor connects before browsing, which you can always switch off if you do not need it
I.E. The checkbox in the image: http://b2b.cbsimg.net/blogs/nexus-browser.png
But instead of "Request Desktop Site" an "Force Anonymous Mode".

Thank you and for your time

lets_zock

Jul 10, 2011
Seems like a nice browser. :) I really like the interface and the Tor button! But are you planning to use the new Android 5.0 API to integrate tabs in recents menu like chrome?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We wanted a better baseline for web browsing (simple, private, ad free, anonymous), so we built Krypton.

xshots-xda.png

Krypton Anonymous is:
    • Focused on security, privacy, and anonymity. Never saves or transmits your browsing habits. Tightly integrated with Tor and HTTPS Everywhere. Loads each tab is an isolated OS process, with it’s own cookie store and local storage.
    • Minimal mobile friendly design and experience.
    • Open source, based on the Chromium project. Not a Web view. Find us on Github.

Additionally Krypton Anonymous has upgrades for ad blocking, full screen browsing, history, auto-login and other "everyday" browsing features.

Download Now: Search for "Krypton Anonymous" on Google Play

Email: [email protected]

Edit:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.kr36.krypton.x
    https://github.com/kr36/seaturtle
    Latest Version: 100-899
    Please attach apk to OP.
    Not everyone has / has access to play store.
    Thank you in advance

Adding Latest version number and changelog also would be great.
    Hey m0d,

If you're demands for anonymity are high, I suggest enabling the "Tor always on" setting, this should hopefully address your concern. I'd like to also note the browser does more than just proxy your connection through Tor. .

I am just pointing out what seemed like a bug, as you are advertising your app as Krypton Anonymous. I did mention that I liked the ability too disable tor and browse normally, too.
    However, there needs to be a way to make sure which option the app is using. I did try setting "Tor always on", do not remember if it solved the issue, will try again.
    But that means, to me, that you do not close tor, it does not sound like it has anything to do with being able to browse before connecting to tor. Users reading the article on your app - http://www.xda-developers.com/android/krypton-web-browser-privacy/, will be under the impression that your browser is an anonymous browser. But they need to be aware that in some cases that is not the case, as your browser allows you to browse before connecting to tor
    There should be at least a pop-up warning that your are not yet connecting to tor before it browses.
    I suggest an Anonymous mode switch in settings or in the menu (something like desktop mode in many other browsers) which forces you to wait until tor connects before browsing, which you can always switch off if you do not need it
    I.E. The checkbox in the image: http://b2b.cbsimg.net/blogs/nexus-browser.png
    But instead of "Request Desktop Site" an "Force Anonymous Mode".

Thank you and for your time

I would just love the option to import a bookmarks file, rather tedious typing in all my bookmarks again, love the simplicity of the app, many thanks!