[APP][4.1+] Snap Browser, fast and lightweight | Don't be slow! [OPEN SOURCE WEBKIT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Jeeko

Feb 13, 2013
lorenzozanotto.com
2gvtz75.jpg

Snap Browser is a free web browser built with lightness in mind. It uses a custom webkit that I'm gonna to release to everyone
that allows web pages to be loaded in milliseconds compressing them before your visit. Packed with top-notch features, available thanks to
awesome open source projects, Snap Browser will replace your daily browser letting you to enjoy the web again.

Note. This browser is based on the amazing UltimateBrowserProject by balzathor released under Apache 2.0 with tailored customizations
to the internal webkit (that I'm going to release to everyone) and with a new power saver mode. Snap Browser won't follow UBP's further developments
and they're going to be two separate projects.

Features
- Custom Homepage
- Custom WebKit for higher performances
(view the source, available soon)
- AdBlock
- Loads links in background
- Switch tabs through swipe
- Custom user agent
- Custom search engine

Screenshots
qzewbc.jpg

34q9ysm.png

2uiacf7.png

How The Power Saving Algorithm Works
Snap Browser introduces a custom web kit that reproduces the Google Chrome one, this time without 20MB of bloatware
(Snap is only 700kb) and without also collecting data about your navigation habits.
In both versions (Free - Pro) Snap Browser, when possible, connects to a proxy over HTTP/2 where the HTTP/TCP requests are processed.
Anyway due the costs of servers the Data Compression Algorithm will work far better on the Pro version where there is the possibility
to enable-disable it directly in the options (the free version has a limited amount of compressing requests).
Doing lots of tests the battery drainage is very low, so this feature won't affect your battery life too much.

Credits
This project couldn't exist without other awesome developers that have allowed me to save time
of work offering their open source codebase, by the way now that is all set up Snap Browser will move
into a different direction respect their open source counterparts. I'm planning to release the tweaked webkit I used,
the compression algorithm anyway will remain closed.

- balzathor for the great UltimateBrowserProject
- Kiran Rao for its android-ago library
- Anthony (ACR Development) for the grayscale rendering technique
- Roman Nurik for its Swipe-to-dimiss-library

If any of these developers find out that Snap Browser doesn't match all the license of these codes
please PM me and I'll be happy to solve the issue!

Download Now
Linke
Mod Edit: dead link removed.

Stay tuned for further updates and a sincere thank you! :laugh:​

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vindows18

Thunderbottom

Jun 8, 2015
Hey dude, I was about adding you on the conversation.
Yeah feel free to add Snap to UBP derivates, I want to rebuild the UI and also add an Incognito mode, just adding them to the TODO list.

It's all fine, as long as you include the license I'm fine with it. Also, you should've asked me before posting this. Now I'll have to re-edit my project.

Regards.

Thunderbottom

Jun 8, 2015
Well, sorry 'bout that. I'll keep this in mind for the next time.

It's all fine, just include the license in your applications Settings, removing the license annoys me, as much as it annoys any other developer who doesn't get his deserved credits.

Regards.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

I'd love to know how you have added "Data Compression Algorithms" to a mere 800KB APK. Also, as of now there's just no difference between UBP and your application, I don't know why you have added it to XDA with exactly no changes under your name (Apart from the license that you've supposedly removed from the settings page) and a few changes to the first start and then have turned the "Check for updates" button to "donations" button. THERE'S REALLY NO DIFFERENCE HERE MATE. Though this will be really annoying when people know about it. Well, now they know about it anyways :)

EDIT: From what I can see furthermore, I can say that you're not using a different webkit either, its entirely the same.
P.S.- There's a thing called "proguard" which obfuscates the application package file, AKA the APK.
EDIT: Removing the bottom placed omnibox was rather the worst idea a developer could execute, now new users have exactly 101 reasons to not install this application.

Extra Regards, and some experience.
Sherlock.

Last edited:
Reactions: falconscrest123

Jeeko

Feb 13, 2013
lorenzozanotto.com
It's all fine, just include the license in your applications Settings, removing the license annoys me, as much as it annoys any other developer who doesn't get his deserved credits.

Regards.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

I'd love to know how you have added "Data Compression Algorithms" to a mere 800KB APK. Also, as of now there's just no difference between UBP and your application, I don't know why you have added it to XDA with exactly no changes under your name (Apart from the license that you've supposedly removed from the settings page) and a few changes to the first start and then have turned the "Check for updates" button to "donations" button. THERE'S REALLY NO DIFFERENCE HERE MATE. Though this will be really annoying when people know about it. Well, now they know about it anyways :)

EDIT: From what I can see furthermore, I can say that you're not using a different webkit either, its entirely the same.
P.S.- There's a thing called "proguard" which obfuscates the application package file, AKA the APK.

Regards.
Sherlock.

An update is on the run with the proper license screen. It was removed because I'm using Ninja (another UBP derivate) as codebase and it doesn't have the Ultimate Browser Project in the credits

D

Darth

@Jeeko

Please see that you complete the things @balzathor has requested... quickly. (source posted, license...etc...)

Also, a reminder about asking permission first and crediting people, as covered in the site rules. Rule 12

Kudos to working this out together here! Good to see that for sure! :good:

Thanks,

Darth
Forum Moderator

Edit: Let's end the off topic. Use PM's, to pm each other, or me if there are questions or issues. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2gvtz75.jpg

Snap Browser is a free web browser built with lightness in mind. It uses a custom webkit that I'm gonna to release to everyone
    that allows web pages to be loaded in milliseconds compressing them before your visit. Packed with top-notch features, available thanks to
    awesome open source projects, Snap Browser will replace your daily browser letting you to enjoy the web again.

Note. This browser is based on the amazing UltimateBrowserProject by balzathor released under Apache 2.0 with tailored customizations
    to the internal webkit (that I'm going to release to everyone) and with a new power saver mode. Snap Browser won't follow UBP's further developments
    and they're going to be two separate projects.

Features
    - Custom Homepage
    - Custom WebKit for higher performances
    (view the source, available soon)
    - AdBlock
    - Loads links in background
    - Switch tabs through swipe
    - Custom user agent
    - Custom search engine

Screenshots
    qzewbc.jpg

34q9ysm.png

2uiacf7.png

How The Power Saving Algorithm Works
    Snap Browser introduces a custom web kit that reproduces the Google Chrome one, this time without 20MB of bloatware
    (Snap is only 700kb) and without also collecting data about your navigation habits.
    In both versions (Free - Pro) Snap Browser, when possible, connects to a proxy over HTTP/2 where the HTTP/TCP requests are processed.
    Anyway due the costs of servers the Data Compression Algorithm will work far better on the Pro version where there is the possibility
    to enable-disable it directly in the options (the free version has a limited amount of compressing requests).
    Doing lots of tests the battery drainage is very low, so this feature won't affect your battery life too much.

Credits
    This project couldn't exist without other awesome developers that have allowed me to save time
    of work offering their open source codebase, by the way now that is all set up Snap Browser will move
    into a different direction respect their open source counterparts. I'm planning to release the tweaked webkit I used,
    the compression algorithm anyway will remain closed.

- balzathor for the great UltimateBrowserProject
    - Kiran Rao for its android-ago library
    - Anthony (ACR Development) for the grayscale rendering technique
    - Roman Nurik for its Swipe-to-dimiss-library

If any of these developers find out that Snap Browser doesn't match all the license of these codes
    please PM me and I'll be happy to solve the issue!

Download Now
    Linke
    Mod Edit: dead link removed.

Stay tuned for further updates and a sincere thank you! :laugh:​
    -- Reserved --
    wow sounds good downloading...
    Alright, so this goes into my Github Application's "Derivatives" page.

Regards.

Hey dude, I was about adding you on the conversation.
    Yeah feel free to add Snap to UBP derivates, I want to rebuild the UI and also add an Incognito mode, just adding them to the TODO list.
    It's all fine, as long as you include the license I'm fine with it. Also, you should've asked me before posting this. Now I'll have to re-edit my project.

Regards.

Regards.

EDIT: Removing the bottom placed omnibox was rather the worst idea a developer could execute, now new users have exactly 101 reasons to not install this application.

Extra Regards, and some experience.
    Sherlock.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone