• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP][4.1+][V5.4] Open Mic+ for Google Now

Search This thread

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
1st of all, your app is and has been 1 of the most valuable apps available to me, so thanks for the great work. 2nd, In this next update you'll be doing, are you SURE u have to completely DISABLE Google speech engine--***REASON I ASK IS THIS: Anybody who uses Google Now Launcher will face an adverse effect of not having Google Engine enabled- whenever I would use Pocket sphynx , the "Ok Google" function of the Google Now Launcher would completely stop working, microphone in search bar would be hollow instead of full, and the ONLY way I was able to get that fixed and be able to use BOTH OpenMic+ and Google Now Launcher together with COMPLETE functionality was to enable the Google Speech Engine for OpenMic+.... If there's any other way U know of that I may be overlooking, please let me know. Otherwise, are you SURE that the only solution to get Google's greedy a$$'s off u is to COMPLETELY remove the Google Engine? Look forward to any insight.

You should be able to blacklist the launcher and it should work... That being said, I should be able to publish google engine updates to xda. I just have to keep them off of the play store...

Reactions: bdizzle1686

bdizzle1686

Jul 28, 2014
Washington, MI
Moto Z2 Force
Moto G7
You should be able to blacklist the launcher and it should work... That being said, I should be able to publish google engine updates to xda. I just have to keep them off of the play store...

Ahh gotcha, cool, & good to know. Seriously man, I just wanna let u know, between The Open Mic+ and Commandr, your apps/ work have SERIOUSLY changed the way I use my phone! The only, AND I MEAN ONLY OTHER "WANT" or REQUEST I have- I know when u 1st made Open Mic +, u had Touchless Control in mind... 1 thing I have ALWAYS **DESPARATELY** wanted, is the Same black/red/gray Microphone opening animation that Touchless Control has... I dunno what it is about it, but I am OBSESSED WITH TRYING TO GET THAT SAME ANIMATION! I read somewhere that originally u had the Open Mic+ animation a lot closer to the look of the Moto Animation- if that's true, could u maybe POSSIBLY post like an XDA Exclusive version of OM+ with that animation??? I'm serious, I have LITERALLY SPENT HUNDREDS OF HOURS TRYING TO LEARN how to port Touchless Control (epic fail) , JUST CUZ I love the look of that animation so much. (TBH , I hate the blue/white look of the new Moto Voice) .. If it's not possible, I completely understand, I know Motorola would be all over your a$$ if u published that on the play store, hence u I asked for POSSIBLY an XDA Exclusive version. Again, thanks so much for all your time and all your great work!

Reactions: RSenG2x

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
Ahh gotcha, cool, & good to know. Seriously man, I just wanna let u know, between The Open Mic+ and Commandr, your apps/ work have SERIOUSLY changed the way I use my phone! The only, AND I MEAN ONLY OTHER "WANT" or REQUEST I have- I know when u 1st made Open Mic +, u had Touchless Control in mind... 1 thing I have ALWAYS **DESPARATELY** wanted, is the Same black/red/gray Microphone opening animation that Touchless Control has... I dunno what it is about it, but I am OBSESSED WITH TRYING TO GET THAT SAME ANIMATION! I read somewhere that originally u had the Open Mic+ animation a lot closer to the look of the Moto Animation- if that's true, could u maybe POSSIBLY post like an XDA Exclusive version of OM+ with that animation??? I'm serious, I have LITERALLY SPENT HUNDREDS OF HOURS TRYING TO LEARN how to port Touchless Control (epic fail) , JUST CUZ I love the look of that animation so much. (TBH , I hate the blue/white look of the new Moto Voice) .. If it's not possible, I completely understand, I know Motorola would be all over your a$$ if u published that on the play store, hence u I asked for POSSIBLY an XDA Exclusive version. Again, thanks so much for all your time and all your great work!

Unfortunately never got the animation looking like how I like. The main reason for this is that it would just take some time and I felt like it would be better for me to use my time making sure that the actual voice recognition is working properly instead of worrying about that animation. That being said, if I get into my early school (dec 15) or when I finish this term (jan 15), I'll have oodles of time and I can't wait to work on some stuff like this... I have a bunch of other apps in semi-working stages that I also want to complete, but I'm sure I'll eventually get around to this :)

Reactions: bdizzle1686

bummerland

Nov 27, 2014
I didn't read all the posts before, sorry if this was answered before.
I can't start the listening if a radio app (xia live) is running (using the google engine). What can I do to get it working?
With pocket mode it works, but I want to use the tasker feature...

best regards

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
5.4:
- Google has asked me to remove the Google Speech Engine due to high server traffic. From here on out, the only supported speech engine will be PocketSphinx... Kind of sucks, but you know you're legitimate when you are producing enough traffic for Google to care about you :)
- Because of this change Tasker commands are not supported... yet (I know a way just need more time). For now use my other app Commandr http://goo.gl/ymwQ46
- Fixes for conflicts in Lollipop
- Pocketsphinx optimization

The XDA version still retains google speech... just not the playstore version...

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
I didn't read all the posts before, sorry if this was answered before.
I can't start the listening if a radio app (xia live) is running (using the google engine). What can I do to get it working?
With pocket mode it works, but I want to use the tasker feature...

best regards

Add the app to the blacklist. Or manually hit the pause/resume buttons in the notification bar.

skyli91

Jan 28, 2009
feature request

Hi!

Could you please make openmic+ tasker commands to use more than 1 Command Phrase, separated by commas, like in Commandr? Keywords would be awesome too.

Becouse google now misunderstands me a lot, I need to add a lot of words like: Tights off instead of Lights off, etc. I can make it now, but it's not too nice to have 50+ tasker commands insted of 10 :)

This is just an idea :) thank you!

pablo71

Apr 19, 2008
very excited about next version

I am very excited about pocketsphinx activating tasker commands.... that's so cool .... I use Bluetooth 100% of the time so with my setup Google Now , okay Google, and Google voice engine wreak havoc on functionality ... so good luck with pocketsphinx+tasker and please keep the listen over Bluetooth option...great work

mbecroft

Jul 11, 2011
Auckland
Hot word recognition not accurate

On my Motorola Photon Q, Google Now with always-on hot word detection is very reliable at discriminating the 'OK Google' hot word.

Problem is, this is also the hot word that activates my smart watch. So I want to set a different hot word on my phone. This is where I thought Open Mic would be useful.

Problem is, compared with Google Now, the Open Mic hot word detection is abysmal. If i set sensitivity low, it won't activate most of the time, while if I increase sensitivity to 4 or 5 then it keeps opening even when I haven't said a word. I've tried to set very distinctive hot words but with no luck (and many words which are English, including 'Rivet' and 'Oscar' are flagged as not English.

In short I just can't get it to work usefully at all. Any tips on how to get better results? Can the speech recognition be improved? Is the problem that I speak with an RP rather than Standard American accent?

mbecroft

Jul 11, 2011
Auckland
To answer my own question

Problem is, compared with Google Now, the Open Mic hot word detection is abysmal.

Well since this forum seems hardly frequented I'll answer my own question.

I managed to find a set of keywords that are fairly reliable without false positives. After trying many word combinations I have settled on 'patient july' with sensitivity 4/5. It seems to recognise this particular word combination reasonably accurately.

The other thing I discovered was that the microphone on the Photon Q is blocked when the phone is closed and doesn't pick up sound very well from a distance. Cutting away a little bit of plastic to allow the atmosphere to reach the microphone appears to have made a difference.

So the moral of the story is, a lot of trial and error can result in a hot phrase that works. But it's not at all obvious which words will work and which won't unil you try them.

mbecroft

Jul 11, 2011
Auckland
Problems installing XDA version - claims free version arleady installed

I've completely uninstalled the Google Play version of this app and installed the 'Open Mic+ for Google Now-free-googlespeech-release-5.4.apk' from the XDA thread.

But when I open it, it says 'both the free and donate version are installed, do you want to uninstall the free version?', and if I say yes, it uninstalls itself. If I say no, it works but I still have no access to Google speech engine.

I have gone into Settings->Apps and uninstalled Open Mic. As far as I can see it is completely uninstalled. Yet upon installed in the apk again I get the same message. What am I doing wrong?

Reactions: #Henkate

mbecroft

Jul 11, 2011
Auckland
Open Mic prevents Google Now working when invoked manually

Open Mic is proving great for invoking Google Now by customised hot word.

However while Open Mic is running, if Google Now is invoked manually by pressing the Google microphone icon, it immediately fails with a 'cannot contact Google' message.

This also happens for instance when sending a text message. Invoke Google Now by Open Mic Hotword, dictate text message, all good so far. Then Google Now re-activates the microphone to get confirmation to send the mssage (answer yes or no). It fails immediately at this point.

Clearly Open Mic taking over the microphone to listen for hot word is preventing Google Now from accessing the mic when needed.

Can this be fixed in a future release?

EG2300

May 8, 2015
Will not detect launch phrase unless on home screen

1. I'm using the paid version and when using the Okay Google hotword I am only able to do it from my device home screen and not on other screens or when the screen is off.
2. If I change the hotword to a custom phrase it does not recognize it at all

Any assistance is appreciated :confused:

YechiamTK

Nov 24, 2012
Hello, i tried to use the app, but it got force closed every time I press "Launch Settings"
in the "Lollipop Recent Apps" pop-up at the setup of the application.
Anyone can help me?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About Open Mic+
    Google Now, Everywhere.

As featured on XDA, LifeHacker, SlashGear, Android Community, Android Spin, dotTech, AndroidInt'l, and more!

With Open Mic+ for Google Now, access all the commands from anywhere on your phone. Simply say "Okay Google" or wave your hand in front of the screen. Screen on, screen off Google Now will be ready to listen.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
    Google Now becomes more conversational as after a search just say Okay Google to start a new one. And even better get the answers to your questions while your hands are tied, or when you're on the couch, or in the car.

TOMORROW'S FEATURES TODAY
    Everybody's talking about the new Touchless Controls features for the Moto X, but now any phone that is running Jelly Bean or higher can have the same experience.

SEAMLESS
    Open Mic+ will run in the background and can be configured to start at boot so that it truly becomes part of the phone.

TASKER INTEGRATION
    Truly automate your device by combining the endless command list of Tasker with the ease of access of Open Mic!

Open Mic+ uses offline voice recognition which means less data usage and faster results.

What I'm working on:
    See the g+ page for more details! Also please contact me if you are willing to contribute. Experience in sound engineering is especially welcome!

Please see the g+ page for more details and for videos (Also follow to be notified of updates!): http://plus.google.com/112424215551484520138/posts
    Download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RSen.OpenMic.Pheonix

[QRCODE]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RSen.OpenMic.Pheonix[/QRCODE]

Remember this is a work in progress, if it isn't working for you now, make sure to follow the g+ page so you'll know when I make it better :)

Changelog:
    5.4:
    - Google has asked me to remove the Google Speech Engine due to high server traffic. From here on out, the only supported speech engine will be PocketSphinx... Kind of sucks, but you know you're legitimate when you are producing enough traffic for Google to care about you :)
    - Because of this change Tasker commands are not supported... yet (I know a way just need more time). For now use my other app Commandr http://goo.gl/ymwQ46
    - Fixes for conflicts in Lollipop
    - Pocketsphinx optimization
    5.3:
    - bug and crash fixes
    5.2:
    - bug and crash fixes
    5.1:
    - bug and crash fixes
    5.0:
    - Completely redesigned UI to both simplify and guide the user experience (inspired by the Google Now design)
    - Tablet-Optimized UI
    - Multiple optimizations for PocketSphinx and Google engine
    - Device-specific optimizations for Nexus 5 and Moto G
    - Change sensitivity of Wave and Shake Detection
    - Simplify Listen while screen off settings (even I got confused before!)
    - Automatically blacklist apps that use the mic (this fixes issues with the camera, Shaazam, and other similar apps)
    - Fix Tasker Command problems (this update will wipe your current commands)
    - Visual feedback to show what Open Mic+ is doing
    - Redesigned Support interface which will auto-send logs and device information (with consent) and will allow two-way conversations without an email address (Huge thanks to Sky Kelsey and the Apptentive Team!)
    - Targeted Surveys which will allow me to push updates more effectively
    - Many donate-only features are now free
    - Free users who are unable to pay for the donate version can now get all of the donate features by sharing to two out of three of Google+, Facebook, and Twitter
    - Multiple crash and bug fixes
    - Professional Translations for Portuguese (Brazil) and Spanish

Not included in this update, but also figured out how to allow Tasker Commands for PocketSphinx! This will be included in a future update :)

4.5:
    ★ Lots of Force close and bug fixes (sorry these are very complicated issues, still working on them...)
    ★ Additional logging to help understand other issues
    ★ Tweaking of PocketSphinx engine settings for better recognition
    ★ Resolving issues with UserVoice SDK (if you are having trouble sending a log, remember that your log is copied so you can always paste it into the email link below)
    4.4:
    ★ Lots of Force close and bug fixes (sorry this took so long, but they were pretty tricky to figure out)
    ★ (Donate) Pocketsphinx - Option to pause listening during music playback
    ★ Issues with sending support requests should be resolved
    ★ Check if both versions are installed to prevent accidentally using the free version when the donate version is installed
    4.3:
    ★ Force close and Can't Reach Google fixes (Thanks for all the logs! If you are still having this issue please email me. Sorry it has taken so long to fix these, but it is actually a very complicated issue which has many sources)
    ★ Shake sensitivity fixed
    ★ Bug fixes & performance improvements
    4.2:
    ★ Force close and Can't Reach Google fixes (if you are still having this issue please email me)
    ★ Crash reporting added to help fix future crashes. This requires the Internet permission, which is why I added it. Please know that based on my privacy policy (http://OpenMic.RSenApps.com/privacypolicy.html) I cannot and never will upload any data without the user's consent
    ★ Native contact us, knowledge base, and future ideas, just click the Support button. This makes it easier to report issues...

4.1:
    ★ Force close and Can't Reach Google fixes (if you are still having this issue please email me)
    ★ Huge Apk/install size fixed
    ★ Various bug fixes...

Version 4.0 ICS (I Crave [Pocket]Sphinx):
    ★ PocketSphinx Speech Engine Integrated. PocketSphinx is a much faster, more reliable, and more battery efficient speech recognition engine and can now be used with Open Mic+ (Tasker commands are not supported yet...)

What this means:
    - Faster, more reliable recognition
    - Significantly reduced battery and memory usage
    - Volume muting bugs resolved
    - Recognition during music playback
    - (Donate) Customize sensitivity

★ (Donate) Read out SMS messages when Open Mic+ is running (useful while driving)
    ★ Shake phone to activate
    ★ Loads of bug fixes and performance improvements
    ★ New Language: Finnish (Thanks to: Jaakko Salminen)

WHAT'S DIFFERENT IN THE DONATE VERSION
    Hi, my name is Ryan Senanayake and I'm a Junior still in high school. As the amount of time I have spent on this project grows to more than 1000 hours, I need to better justify the time I spend on development. The Free version will in no way be hobbled and will continue to receive bug fixes + performance/battery improvements, but from now on, new features will be added to the Donate version. It will only cost $2 and if you are not able to spend this, just shoot me an email and I'll send you one for free.
    does this consume battery life?

No it enables solar charging via front camera.
    Here is latest APK I pulled from the site a few hours ago
    First working prototype of PocketSphinx integration completed! I'm not going to lie, once this is fully working it is going to be awesome. Recognition time is now so fast that it seems instantaneous. Even from a screen off mode, Google Now is open in less than a second. Also battery consumption is far less due to now fully (instead of offline-capable) recognition and recognition accuracy also seems to be far improved as well! RAM usage is down an easy 50% though I haven't been able to run comprehensive tests! Finally on a side note, recognition now works during music playback and all problems due to muting volumes are now solved as these hacks are no longer necessary!

If anybody wants the update now, shoot me an email ([email protected]), I'm not really at a point where I need testers, but if you are dying to try it, let me know :)

Also I have a question of how to precede with foreign language interpretation. Right now I'm building PocketSphinx with an English dictionary and all custom hotphrases need to be English words. Is this a problem? Can I completely ditch Google Speech Recognition and all of its problems or should I keep including it?
    Version 4.0 ICS (I Crave [Pocket]Sphinx): #OpenMic+
    ★ PocketSphinx Speech Engine Integrated. PocketSphinx is a much faster, more reliable, and more battery efficient speech recognition engine and can now be used with Open Mic+ (Tasker commands are not supported yet...)

What this means:
    - Faster, more reliable recognition
    - Significantly reduced battery and memory usage
    - Volume muting bugs resolved
    - Recognition during music playback
    - (Donate) Customize sensitivity

★ (Donate) Read out SMS messages when Open Mic+ is running (useful while driving)
    ★ Shake phone to activate
    ★ Loads of bug fixes and performance improvements
    ★ New Language: Finnish (Thanks to: Jaakko Salminen)

Update pushed now, make take awhile (usually 2 hours) for Google's servers to update
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RSen.OpenMic.Pheonix