• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][4.4+] Android Wear GoPro Remote

Search This thread

hmrscr

Dec 19, 2014
Wear GoPro Remote is an Android Wear application that allows full control of a GoPro camera.

Some features are:
  • Change camera mode (Video, Photo, Burst, Time lapse)
  • Change video resolution and frame rate.a
  • Change Time lapse interval.
  • Fire shutter to take pictures, start/stop video and see a small preview of the picture taken.
  • Fire shutter by shaking your hand (Great for selfies).
  • Image gallery to browse images on Camera.
  • Set basic settings like Spot Meter, Beep volume, Upside down, LEDs.
  • Locate camera.
  • Power off/on camera.

Things to do
  • Make compatible with all GoPro models (currently tested on Hero3 White only).
  • Live preview on watch (Nice to have but not essential).
  • Improve UI design.
  • Test on round watches.
  • New icons.
  • Code documentation.
  • Correct battery indicator.
  • Autodetect GoPro WiFi password.
  • Unit tests.
  • Publish on Google Play.

Please feel free to suggest improvements, fixes, and enhancements and report any bug you found.

Open Source under Apache Software Licence at github.com \ hmrs-cr \ android-wear-gopro-remote

Version history:
  • v1.0-12 (01/10/2015):
    Maintenance release, no significant new features are included in this release.
    • Added Material Design Theme.
    • Added "first run dialog" to help configure GoPro WiFi settings.
    • Improved stability.
    • Fixed many "force close" issues.
    • Option to disable app start up when device connected to GoPro WiFi (disabled by default).
  • v1.0-11 (12/29/2014):
    • New launcher Icon.
    • Improved connection error handling between watch and phone.
    • Autoconfig GoPro WiFi name and password if phone connected to GoPro WiFi.
    • Added "Send Log" menu option to send logs and camera info to help diagnose issues.
  • v1.0-10 (12/21/2014):
    • First public release

Attachments

• WearGoProRemote_1.0-12.apk
    2.7 MB · Views: 14,282
Last edited:

Deathalo

Oct 15, 2010
This is awesome! I don't have android wear yet, but planning on getting a moto 360 soon. I have a Hero 4 Silver and was thinking this would be an extremely useful app to have on your wrist, thanks for your work, can't wait to try it out!

Reactions: nitram12

hmrscr

Dec 19, 2014
This is awesome! I don't have android wear yet, but planning on getting a moto 360 soon. I have a Hero 4 Silver and was thinking this would be an extremely useful app to have on your wrist, thanks for your work, can't wait to try it out!

Thanks, please keep in mind that I have tested this app only with the Hero3 White Edition, probably you will find issues with other models .

maxelcoco

Mar 20, 2008
Thanks, please keep in mind that I have tested this app only with the Hero3 White Edition, probably you will find issues with other models .

This is just what i thought was missing for the gopro.
I will be able to test it with a moto360 and a gopro hero4 silver in a couple of days and let you know the issues.
Thanks a lot for the work you've already done.

Lindasteelers

Dec 27, 2014
Very Very Cool

Hey. This is a great idea and thanks for your hard work to develop it. I tried to get the app to work but I can only seem to view the images saved to my GoPro and cant operate any of the the features which you described.

I have my Note 4 connected to my GoPro Hero 3+ via wifi and my Samsung Wear Live connected to my Note 4 via Bluetooth. I cant seem to be able to connect to my GoPro with your app. Any suggestions?? Thx much.

hmrscr

Dec 19, 2014
Hey. This is a great idea and thanks for your hard work to develop it. I tried to get the app to work but I can only seem to view the images saved to my GoPro and cant operate any of the the features which you described.

I have my Note 4 connected to my GoPro Hero 3+ via wifi and my Samsung Wear Live connected to my Note 4 via Bluetooth. I cant seem to be able to connect to my GoPro with your app. Any suggestions?? Thx much.

If you are able to see in your watch the images in your GoPro then that means that the connection between the GoPro and the phone and between the phone and the watch is working good. What do you see in your watch when trying to operate the camera?

I have released a new version with an option to send camera info and logs that will help me to understand the cause of issues like this. Please install the new version, connect your phone to the GoPro wifi network, open the App on the phone, selected the menu item "Send Log" and please send me that information with your favorite email app, you will be able to review the information that will be send or add anything you want.

SchnickersX

Dec 31, 2014
I can not connect my gopro hero 4 Silver to the App. The Problem is that the App is Searching for a Connection (screenshot 1) and after ~ 5 seconds, the app will close. If i connect Via Wifi to my gopro (Screenshot 2) the App will closes directly.

Sorry for my bad english :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-31-14-33-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-31-14-33-37.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 598
  • Screenshot_2014-12-31-14-35-57.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-31-14-35-57.png
    197.6 KB · Views: 590

Lindasteelers

Dec 27, 2014
It's working.

Thanks for the response. I went back and checked all of the settings and noticed that I had entered the wrong password for the Gopro Wifi Settings. User error of course. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks again for cool app.

If you are able to see in your watch the images in your GoPro then that means that the connection between the GoPro and the phone and between the phone and the watch is working good. What do you see in your watch when trying to operate the camera?

I have released a new version with an option to send camera info and logs that will help me to understand the cause of issues like this. Please install the new version, connect your phone to the GoPro wifi network, open the App on the phone, selected the menu item "Send Log" and please send me that information with your favorite email app, you will be able to review the information that will be send or add anything you want.

giosk3

Jan 2, 2015
moto 360 and samsung note 3

Hello. I have problems the app forces close on the note 3 and i cant make a change. It just forces close.When I try to connect using the moto 360 I can see images from the gropro but cant make any changes. The the app on the watch says camera wifi not configured.

hmrscr

Dec 19, 2014
I can not connect my gopro hero 4 Silver to the App. The Problem is that the App is Searching for a Connection (screenshot 1) and after ~ 5 seconds, the app will close. If i connect Via Wifi to my gopro (Screenshot 2) the App will closes directly.

Sorry for my bad english :D

As I can see in screenshot 1, you haven't configured the WiFi settings, you need to set the "WiFi SSID" field with the name of your GoPro Wifi and "WiFi Password" with the WiFi password of your GoPro.

Also you can connect the phone to the GoPro WiFi and open the app, it will try to set the settings automatically for you.

SchnickersX

Dec 31, 2014
As I can see in screenshot 1, you haven't configured the WiFi settings, you need to set the "WiFi SSID" field with the name of your GoPro Wifi and "WiFi Password" with the WiFi password of your GoPro.

Also you can connect the phone to the GoPro WiFi and open the app, it will try to set the settings automatically for you.

I cannot click the two fields for filling out.
If i connect the phone to the gopro the app closes immediately.

has it something to do with android 5.0?

GTiceman

Dec 3, 2007
my LG G3 also force closes and I can't seem to get it to auto-detect or update the fields manually

edit: I got it to update and connect, toggled my wifi off then opened the Remote app and it autodetected the settings, seems to work okay but I can't seem to get back to the main screen easilly, by that i mean my watchface

Last edited:

hmrscr

Dec 19, 2014
my LG G3 also force closes and I can't seem to get it to auto-detect or update the fields manually

edit: I got it to update and connect, toggled my wifi off then opened the Remote app and it autodetected the settings, seems to work okay but I can't seem to get back to the main screen easilly, by that i mean my watchface

I cannot click the two fields for filling out.
If i connect the phone to the gopro the app closes immediately.

has it something to do with android 5.0?

I have fixed some "force close" issues, also there's a new "first run" dialog to help you configure the WiFi settings. Please download the new update and try again.

konradit

Sep 17, 2014
Madrid
chernowii.com
Lets keep it going

Hi everybody

I had a GoPro HERO2 (rusty one from 2011), I have a GoPro HERO3 Black, +Black, HERO4 Black cameras. Here is my work of documenting the commands of these cameras to control via WiFi: (damn I am new!!!) github dot com/konradit/goprowifihack

I was going to do an app too but there is this app too, why not merge? In the repo there are ALL of the HERO2/HERO3 Black commands for wifi control, will release HERO4 commands soon. The White / Silver / HERO2 work the same, this means commands are the same. The HERO3 Black and the HERO3+Black are more advanced and have different structures. The HERO4 Black and Silver are completely different from past structures.

Lets get this app up to date with all cameras and maybe voice commanding?

Reactions: Snow_Ghost

lostlocalhost

Jan 15, 2015
Thanks for this... I've never touched Android development, but this and WearBucks failing after AW5 update has pushed me to get my STS setup for it.
It's awesome to have some of this working so far on my 3+B.

Twano_O

Jan 22, 2015
Strasbourg
www.weberantoine.fr
great app!

First of all, thank you for this amazing it's really a great idea! :good:

I have, two question:
1) Why don't you release this one on the playstore? it would have a lot more user =)
2) I was thinking about a fonctionnality: would it be possible to add a "bookmark" button, during the shot of a video? (ultimately it would add a chapter in the mp4[limited by GoPro API I think...], but writing the timestamp in a file would be a nice first step) To help editing those video and retrieving the important moment of each video file.
[ If you have a public git for that, I would be glad to help implement that :) ]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wear GoPro Remote is an Android Wear application that allows full control of a GoPro camera.

Some features are:
    • Change camera mode (Video, Photo, Burst, Time lapse)
    • Change video resolution and frame rate.a
    • Change Time lapse interval.
    • Fire shutter to take pictures, start/stop video and see a small preview of the picture taken.
    • Fire shutter by shaking your hand (Great for selfies).
    • Image gallery to browse images on Camera.
    • Set basic settings like Spot Meter, Beep volume, Upside down, LEDs.
    • Locate camera.
    • Power off/on camera.

Things to do
    • Make compatible with all GoPro models (currently tested on Hero3 White only).
    • Live preview on watch (Nice to have but not essential).
    • Improve UI design.
    • Test on round watches.
    • New icons.
    • Code documentation.
    • Correct battery indicator.
    • Autodetect GoPro WiFi password.
    • Unit tests.
    • Publish on Google Play.

Please feel free to suggest improvements, fixes, and enhancements and report any bug you found.

Open Source under Apache Software Licence at github.com \ hmrs-cr \ android-wear-gopro-remote

Version history:
    • v1.0-12 (01/10/2015):
      • Added Material Design Theme.
      • Added "first run dialog" to help configure GoPro WiFi settings.
      • Improved stability.
      • Fixed many "force close" issues.
      • Option to disable app start up when device connected to GoPro WiFi (disabled by default).
    • v1.0-11 (12/29/2014):
      • New launcher Icon.
      • Improved connection error handling between watch and phone.
      • Autoconfig GoPro WiFi name and password if phone connected to GoPro WiFi.
      • Added "Send Log" menu option to send logs and camera info to help diagnose issues.
    • v1.0-10 (12/21/2014):
      • First public release
    thumbs up, works pretty well :)
    Lets keep it going

Hi everybody

I had a GoPro HERO2 (rusty one from 2011), I have a GoPro HERO3 Black, +Black, HERO4 Black cameras. Here is my work of documenting the commands of these cameras to control via WiFi: (damn I am new!!!) github dot com/konradit/goprowifihack

I was going to do an app too but there is this app too, why not merge? In the repo there are ALL of the HERO2/HERO3 Black commands for wifi control, will release HERO4 commands soon. The White / Silver / HERO2 work the same, this means commands are the same. The HERO3 Black and the HERO3+Black are more advanced and have different structures. The HERO4 Black and Silver are completely different from past structures.

Lets get this app up to date with all cameras and maybe voice commanding?
    keep calm

Yeah same system, but for every H generation. And usable in any video editing software not just the gopro studio.
    A simple text (or json xml etc...) file, with some timestamp, will do the trick.

First the app needs support for ALL cameras, I will do that now.

Then maybe adding more shake triggers, profiles, voice commanding, your bookmark idea and HiLight Tag for HERO4...