[App][4.4+] Aurora Store - Open Source Play Store client [April 8 2021]

Search This thread

RandomHuman295

May 21, 2022
Think of Aurora as a proxy: they log into Google so you don't have to (and Google doesn't know what apps you download/use). They send you the generated download link and you install.
The app doesn't do automatic background installs. This is good because you shouldn't always jump on every new release as it comes out - it could mess up your data of it's buggy.
I thought some installation methods did allow for auto updating apps such as root or Aurora Services. Less concerned about that, I'm fine with checking and installing updates, they made it pretty easy. I'm more concerned about if/what data, even if anonymized, is flowing through the Aurora Store. Obviously the get request and the files themselves for downloading, but do/can apps use it as a gateway to send information out? I know that GSF and GMS fulfill functions for apps but I am not sure if the Aurora Play Store does, such as push notifications.

temporarium

I thought some installation methods did allow for auto updating apps such as root or Aurora Services. Less concerned about that, I'm fine with checking and installing updates, they made it pretty easy. I'm more concerned about if/what data, even if anonymized, is flowing through the Aurora Store. Obviously the get request and the files themselves for downloading, but do/can apps use it as a gateway to send information out? I know that GSF and GMS fulfill functions for apps but I am not sure if the Aurora Play Store does, such as push notifications.
The only thing you "could" worry about is when you login with your Google account through Aurora, as you're "giving" the devs your credentials (so don't do it if you're paranoid; though if you're using Aurora, you probably don't have an account for Google anyway...).

Once the app is installed, Aurora is out of the picture. You can kill it or uninstall it. Your app runs normally.

RandomHuman295

May 21, 2022
The only thing you "could" worry about is when you login with your Google account through Aurora, as you're "giving" the devs your credentials (so don't do it if you're paranoid; though if you're using Aurora, you probably don't have an account for Google anyway...).

Once the app is installed, Aurora is out of the picture. You can kill it or uninstall it. Your app runs normally.
Awesome, thanks for taking the time to educate a noob.

GalaxyA325G

May 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Why do Google LLC apps still show up in the Aurora Store search when I have already set the filter to have all Google apps removed from search results? (see attached screenshot).

I read the FAQ for the Aurora Store FOSS Google Play Store client
to find out more about "Filter Google apps" since they still seem to show up even with the filter on, but there's nothing about it in that FAQ.

Do you see the same result (see screenshot below) as I do with your Aurora searches?

For example, with the Google Filter set to ON, and then I search for
"calendar" with "GSF dependent" apps allowed, "Google Calendar" shows up.

Why does a Google app show up when I expressly filtered out Google apps?

Attachments

• aurora22.jpg
    aurora22.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

rho-bot

Jul 1, 2017
Why do Google LLC apps still show up in the Aurora Store search when I have akready set the filter to have all Google apps removed from search results? (see attached screenshot).

I read the FAQ for the Aurora Store FOSS Google Play Store client
to find out more about "Filter Google apps" since they still seem to show up even with the filter on, but there's nothing about it in that FAQ.

Do you see the same result (see screenshot below) as I do with your Aurora searches?

For example, with the Google Filter set to ON, and then I search for
"calendar" with "GSF dependent" apps allowed, "Google Calendar" shows up.

Why does a Google app show up when I expressly filtered out Google apps?
I think it's bad translation. It filters updates in app list (installed apps), if they rely on GSF.

Reactions: heinhuiz

GalaxyA325G

May 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
I think it's bad translation. It filters updates in app list (installed apps), if they rely on GSF.

Oh Jeez. Really? That's not at all what it says. :)
I'm not complaining, as I love Aurora Store, but what it says is:
  • "Removes all Google Apps from search results and category apps"
What you're saying it (probably?) should say is something like:
  • "Removes already-installed apps which require GSF from the Aurora UPDATE list if Aurora is also set to "Enable auto updates whenever new versions are available."
While that's a bit wordy, is that sentence above at least correct yet?
If not yet correct, can someone clarify how to make it correct?

Note: Once we have a correct sentence, we can try to shorten it so that the developers can cut and paste it if they like our results and if they have the time to test it out (and yes, I know it's a free app so they don't make any money off it.)

(see screenshots of the two relevant settings below.)

Attachments

• aurora03.jpg
    aurora03.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 99
  • aurora02.jpg
    aurora02.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 99
  • aurora01.jpg
    aurora01.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: TiTiB

TiTiB

Jun 19, 2015
Earth, for now
Oh Jeez. Really? That's not at all what it says. :)
I'm not complaining, as I love Aurora Store, but what it says is:
  • "Removes all Google Apps from search results and category apps"
What you're saying it (probably?) should say is something like:
  • "Removes already-installed apps which require GSF from the Aurora UPDATE list if Aurora is also set to "Enable auto updates whenever new versions are available."
While that's a bit wordy, is that sentence above at least correct yet?
If not yet correct, can someone clarify how to make it correct?

Note: Once we have a correct sentence, we can try to shorten it so that the developers can cut and paste it if they like our results and if they have the time to test it out (and yes, I know it's a free app so they don't make any money off it.)

(see screenshots of the two relevant settings below.)
Perhaps something like:
"Updates for Already Installed Apps that require GSF will not be shown if setting... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH"

Reactions: drnightshadow

SamSucksSon

Jan 11, 2022
I can't telegram, sorry. But I think people would benefit from knowing this, please move as necessary.

Aurora Store would crash immediately when I attempted to start it.

I found out was getting SQL errors: "could not open database", "database not found".

BTW: I'm on AICP OS, and when an app crashes there is a popup that allowed me to "copy the URL", I pasted the URL into a browser and it displayed the errors.

Long story short, Aurora Store was being installed on the sdcard (or perhaps it got moved).

After I moved it back to (internal) system storage, I noticed 2 installs of Aurora Store (maybe there was always 2 and I just didn't notice) so I uninstalled the sdcard version.

Immediately after I moved it, the install screen displayed (grant permissions etc).
It would not advance to the "next" setup screen but when I hit the previous button, back to the chose color screen then and went forward again it completed the setup.

It's fixed.

Reactions: TiTiB

KemikalElite

Jan 28, 2011
Please consider a warning when uninstalling system apps for anyone using the root installer method. System apps appear the same in the app list and can break critical functions if removed. If the user either selects to uninstall a system app by mistake or is unaware that it is a system app this causes problems.

I just accidentally uninstalled the microG core app by mistake. Newer android versions just mark system applications as removed now in the user data, rather than actually deleting them from the system partition.
Now because of this I was afraid I would need to erase data to fix this, because reflashing the ROM doesn't solve this anymore.

Thankfully I was able to sideload the system app just like a normal app and it started working again.

Please consider a warning when uninstalling system apps for anyone using the root installer method. System apps appear the same in the app list and can break critical functions if removed. If the user either selects to uninstall a system app by mistake or is unaware that it is a system app this causes problems.

I just accidentally uninstalled the microG core app by mistake. Newer android versions just mark system applications as removed now in the user data, rather than actually deleting them from the system partition.
Now because of this I was afraid I would need to erase data to fix this, because reflashing the ROM doesn't solve this anymore.

Thankfully I was able to sideload the system app just like a normal app and it started working again.
Yeah, ignorance is a bliss. Uninstalling microg...😵😱 and than crying.. Nice solution😝..
Reinstall microG, problem solved with easy (you can also use magisk module).

casoaoshzo

Mar 23, 2022
Hey all!

I've got a very basic question that I assume has been answered somewhere, but cannot really find an answer - would anybody be able to point to some place where the five different installation methods are explained? 😅 Just downloaded Aurora for the first time and kinda unsure what to do at this step, would love to educate myself for an informed decision.

(I skimmed the first few pages of this thread and tried searching here and the Telegram group, but 'install' and 'method' are just too common words... )

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is this app dead? Last update was 6 months ago, preview at home screen does not work anymore.
    For me it does. A working app does not need to be updated.
    @onyxbits I'm subscribed to this topic so that I can follow project updates, and not read your pompous tirades. If you don't use Aurora Store because it's too "dangerous," whatever that means, then this thread is not for you.

Long time ago, somebody asked a question, and I answered it. Whose question are you answering now?
    What problem are you solving posting all this? Nobody here is interested in your insipid deliberations on what is legal and what might not be. At the end of the day all you're offering is just your personal uneducated opinion, and you're just a random nobody on the Internet.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. It is what it is. Feel free not to use it. Nobody cares either way.

And this is where you disqualify yourself to discuss the topic.
    Do you realize you're posting this on a public discussion forum? A place where anyone can discuss anything anyone else posted? At least until you're are "disqualified" by one of the moderators, which might just happen to you and your off-topic drivel.
    What you are actually doing there is account sharing and a hot legal mess.
    You're correct about the technical details but overthinking the implications. First of all, the account being shared is specially created for this purpose by the Aurora team. If it gets disabled, they'll just set up another one. In any case, it's not anybody's personal account with any valuable data in it.

Also, it's not a "legal mess" as far as I'm concerned as I do not recall entering any contractual agreement with Google over this. They're just choosing to run a public service I, alongside others, (aka "the world") can connect to and they're choosing to respond to queries with the requested data. They're free to block me or anybody else from accessing it, or even pull the plug on it completely anytime, which I'm sure they will do one day (see: killedbygoogle.com), but there's no legal recourse for them beyond that.

If at all, it's between Google and whoever created the account used by Aurora and runs the service. But I'm sure these people (to whom I am very grateful for what they provide) know what they're doing and have considered all the circumstances already, so it's not necessary to be more concerned about it on their behalf than they themselves are.

And in practice, as I said before, there are lots of sad stories circulating, showing that any Google account can be disabled anytime for no apparent reason. This happens to people who, for the most part, haven't even heard of Aurora or MicroG and were 100% kosher with all the preinstalled spyware, and once it happens it basically can't be undone, so nobody should be using Google for anything serious anyway these days (at least not without a backup).
    All the problems you describe, @onyxbits, are not caused by Aurora Store or its use of anonymous accounts, but only by owning a Google account in the first place.

If you have a Google account and use it in your phone, you know you're in the hands of Google. Don't complain about that.

Aurora store is primarily meant for people without Google accounts and does not even require Google services on you phone. The simple fact that you can use a Google account is to facilitate subscriptions or purchased apps. But this is only an added bonus, while it is even better to use the Play Store for those.

Therefore, none of what your discussing is relevant for this thread.
    So you're telling me there's a chance?
    There is always a chance, but it's up to the developer. I wouldn't hold my breath. You can adapt/learn to live with what you have, or stick with the Google.
    FG-2.png

Aurora Store
    Unofficial Google Play client

Disclaimer :
    Using Aurora Store with your own Google account may cause your account
    to be blacklisted, use at your own risk.

Aurora Store is an Unofficial FOSS client to Google's Play Store, with an elegant design,
    using Aurora you can download apps, update existing apps, search for apps, get details about app tracker & adware.
    You can also Spoof your Device Information, Language, and Region to get access to the apps that are not yet available or restricted in your country or Device. Aurora Store does not require Google's Proprietary Framework to operate,

It works perfectly fine with or without Google Play Service or microG.

Earlier based on Yalp store, v4.0 is a Kotlin rewrite from scratch that follows
    Material Design and runs on all devices running Android 4.4 and above.

Aurora Store is derived from the following projects, special thanks to the devs
    YalpStore | AppCrawler | SAI | Raccoon

Important Links
    GitLab | Telegram Support Group | Telegram Channel

Downloads
    Stable | Nightlies

Special Thanks for Help & Inspiration
    Sergey Yeriomin | Nick Kountouriotis | Krzysztof Szczepański | Andreas Itzchak Rehberg (IzzySoft)

Core Developers
    Rahul Kumar Patel

Designers
    Iacob Ionut | Radek Błędowski | Lumiq Creative

Aurora Community Members
    Anunay | Snoop | Sicarious | My Translators | BadAss Bug Reporters | Alpha Testers & Khaleesi

Version Information

XDA:DevDB Information
    Aurora Store, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    WhyOrean
    Source Code: https://gitlab.com/AuroraOSS/AuroraStore

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-01-24
    Last Updated 2021-04-07
    Changelog : v4.0.4 (35)
    • Fix missing download entries
    • Do not allow users to install bundled apps via Native Installer
    • Updated Translations

Changelog : v4.0.3 (34)
    • Add back search filters
    • Add back manual downloads
    • Fixed installer related issues
    • Fixed language spoof issue
    • Fixed dispenser timeout issue
    • Added support for insecure anonymous sessions
    • Fixed ABI mismatch issues on Huawei devices
    • Added options to disable ForYouPage & customize default tab
    • Bug fixes & improvements
    • Updated Translations

Changelog: v4.0.2
    • New GPlay API
    • New improved UI
    • Better app installers
    • Theme Engine

Changelog : v3.0.2
    • Updated translations & added new Koffrora (Meme) locale
    • Enforced root install method to set installer as 'com.android.vending' allowing app to work that
    impose restricts if installed from other sources except Play Store.
    • Fix bugs related to search bar & search history
    • Fix bugs related to Downloader
    • Added option to view changelogs in updatable app list
    • UI improvements

Changelog : v3.0.3
    • Sort app list in ascending order of app name
    • Enforced proxy network on download requests
    • Show update size in updatable app list
    • Disable quick notification completely if notifications are turned off

Changelog : v3.0.4
    • Added new locales (Asturian, Catalan and Sardinian)
    • Added new spoof location : Tokyo, Japan

Changelog : v3.0.5

Changelog : v3.0.6
    • Improved legacy card style
    • Added support for TV
    • Improved Accounts and added support for 2FA
    • Fixed exodus showing old reports
    • Fixed and improved search results
    • Added new locale - Dutch
    • Updated translation

Changelog : v3.0.7
    • Added option to use custom token dispensers (Settings->Network)
    • Added new dummy accounts & dispenser
    • Added support for Aurora Services
    • Added option to view AppInfo from list menu
    • Zip the splits to backup bundled apps
    • Updated translation

Changelog : v3.0.8
    • Added option to export current device info
    • Improved Search UI
    • Bug fixes and improvements

Changelog : v3.0.9
    • Added option to install apps directly to work profile (only rooted users)
    • Added cleanup routines and image caching control routine
    • Added new locales - Punjabi, Belarusian and Norwegian Bokmål

Changelog : 3.1.0
    • Cache apps to reduce network calls, auto clear after 3 days
    • Fix Google account login
    • Fix OBB issue for big games

Changelog : v3.1.1
    • Do not cache updatable apps, its fetched on each launch
    • Make installation sequential
    • Improve notifications
    • Improve app aesthetics

Changelog : v3.1.2
    • Fix downloads on Android 10
    • Notify user if 2FA is enabled
    • Improve dummy logins and handle rate-limit
    • Add self-update module

Changelog : v3.1.3
    • Fix Google login issue
    • Fix user reviews
    • Update exodus trackers list

Changelog : v3.1.4
    • Fixed login issues

Changelog : v3.1.5
    • Updated translations

Changelog : v3.1.6
    • Update UI
    • Fixed issues related to beta subscriptions
    • Fixed login issues

Changelog : v3.1.7
    • Fix a critical serialization/deserialization issue

Changelog : v3.1.8
    • Fixed Exodus report
    • Fixed Login/No network issue
    • Fixed Splash screen issue
    • Fixed 2FA login issues
    • Fixed multiple other issues
    • Updated translations

Changelog : v3.1.9
    • Updated translations

Changelog : v3.2.0
    • Updated translations

Changelog : v3.2.1
    • Updated translations
    • Fixed search issues

Changelog : v3.2.2
    • Updated translations

Changelog : v3.2.3
    • Fix root installs
    • Fix files details not being displayed

Changelog : v3.2.4
    • Fix notifications & auto-installs
    • Fix few apps not downloading issue

Changelog : v3.2.5
    • Fixed auto-install issues for bulk updates
    • Fixed no-network issues for Anbox setups
    • Various other bug fixes and improvements
    • Updated Translations

Changelog : v3.2.6
    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is the difference between Aurora Store and Google PlayStore ?
    Unlike Google Play Store, Aurora doesn't track your downloads or the apps you use. We respect your privacy. Aurora is also uneffected
    by Google marking your device as uncertified or a lack of Google Apps.''

Is Aurora Store a fork of Yalp Store ?
    Technically No, the Aurora Store v3 is written from scratch, but it does share some code from Yalp Store (the POJO xD)

How can I report a bug or suggest something?
    You can open issues here, or you can join our Telegram Development Group Join Now

How to Join | Contribute to Aurora Store ?

I am open to any kind of suggestions/feature request, you can either mail me at [email protected] or ping me on Telegram.

Why Aurora store ?
    Because PlayServices have always disappointed and are proven to be Spyware & Malicious to the end user link.
    Unfortunately, we cannot always get-by with just FOSS Apps. Aurora store helps us retrieve apps from the PlayStore repository,
    without having to trouble you and your device with Google Apps.

If I don't need GApps, Do I need MicroG ?
    No. Aurora Store was built to access PlayStore without any kind of google services. It doesn't care if you use it with or without GApps or MicroG.

What is the FakeStore ?
    Badly designed apps detect if PlayStore is missing and start misbehaving. The FakeStore is a stub that pretends to be as PlayStore and
    preventing the apps from crashing, as the package name for FakeStore is same as PlayStore (com.android.vending).

Is it safe to use Aurora store ?
    Aurora is fully open source and verified by F Droid. If you're talking about the safety of the apps in the store, it just gets them from the same place
    that the Play Store would, and are verified by Google. A lot of dangerous stuff seems to sneak past them though, so as a rule of thumb, don't download anything
    which you're not sure about.

What data does Aurora store send to Google ?
    Aurora Store does its best to send the least identifiable information possible. It does send list of package names of your installed apps (for fetching updates),
    your search queries and your downloads for obvious reasons.

Do I need to use my own Google account to log in ?
    Nope, Aurora Store can log you in with a dummy account so that nothing gets linked to your own account.

Why would I use my own account? Is it safe ?
    You can use your own account to download apps purchased by you or to access your wishlist. Although you may want to be careful, as Google retains
    the right to block any account, so probably use a dummy account.

How do I login if I have 2-factor-authentication enabled ?
    You just need to get an app password from the Google dashboard and use that to login into Aurora Store.

How do I purchase paid apps ?
    Purchase the apps from the PlayStore website, and login using your own account in Aurora Store to download them.

Can Aurora store verify licences ?
    Not yet. All you can do at this point is pester the dev of the licenced app to give you an alternative method for verification.

Can I use Aurora store to get paid apps for free ?
    No. Get out.

What is the F Droid filter ?
    Since F-Droid signs APKs with its own keys, the Play Store variants of apps cannot be installed over them. The F Droid filter excludes all the apps
    it finds with F Droid signatures on your device to prevent such conflicts.

What is the spoofing feature ?
    Spoofing allows you to pretend to be any other device at any other location in the world, to download geo-restricted apps. You can use your own custom device
    configs by dropping the .properties file in the Downloads directory (Settings -> Downloads -> Download Path).

How does Aurora install apps ?
    Aurora Store can install apps in 3 ways

• Manual - Whenever an app is downloaded, it will open the manual installation screen. This doesn't require root or system perms.
    • Root | System - By giving Aurora Store root or system permissions, it will automatically install apps in the background as soon as they are downloaded.
    • Aurora Services - By installing Aurora Services as system app, Aurora Store can automatically install app upon download completion in background.

How do I use Aurora services ?
    Install Aurora Services (to system preferred), open it, do everything it says, open Aurora settings and choose Aurora Services it as install method.
    You don't need to give Aurora Store system or root grants. Aurora Services handle all install & uninstall requests in background.
    NOTE: Aurora Services support has yet to be implemented in v3.

How to give Aurora Store|Services system permissions ?
    You need to either manually push the APKs to /system/priv-app, or install the magisk module from the group.

Can Aurora Download and install Split or Bundled APKs ?
    Yes, with or without root.

How can I submit/improve translations ?
    Go to POEditor, and inform me when done.
    (Although I keep track of translations progress, but in case I miss, let me know)

Why do I have two Aurora Stores after installing the new builds ?
    Because the v3 is a completely new rewrite, it comes with a new package name. You can uninstall the older one or keep it if you want.

Why are the versions on FDroid and XDA labs outdated? When will they be updated ?
    Aurora Store is still in a development phase right now, and only infrequent stable builds will be uploaded there (Also, FDroid's review & build process is quite lengthy).
    You can always grab the latest tests builds either from the Telegram Group or from AuroraOSS

"Please add FDroid | Amazon App Store| Yada support"
    No, this is a PlayStore client. Which means it's for the Play store only. Different clients for different services (^_~)
    #Update : New build is up !
    Changelog : v3.1.7
    • Update UI
    • Fixed issues related to beta subscriptions
    • Fixed login issues

EDIT : Updated to a new build
    Hey all!

A little update, secondary dispenser server is back!
    The primary server is still offline.

How to enable secondary dispenser ?

1. Go to Settings -> Networks -> Enable custom tokenizer
    2. Enter Tokenizer URL "http://www.auroraoss.in:8080"
    3. Go to accounts -> Logout -> Login
    4. Enjoy! (Optional)

Keep calm & stay safe.