[APP] [4.4+] Bromite - Chromium plus adblocking

Search This thread

mariospizza

Dec 22, 2009
It will soon be possible to specify a custom URL for the AdBlock filters.

Yay! Thanks as always for your work :victory:

I also have a question, I know that the address bar autocomplete is disabled by default, but is it possibile to enable it manually? I would like to use DDG or Qwant autocomplete, for example.

Reactions: Adrian1983xda

Amd4life

Dec 30, 2010
Is it possible to remove Bromite's access request to "BatteryManager"? I can block it using XprivacyLua and Xposed, but then Bromite will crash

Last edited:

Adrian1983xda

Feb 23, 2019
Hi, I have to say that in the last update it solved the problem I had with bromite! ?. The problem that I could not navigate through the web pages due to arrests and jumps when scrolling through the pages.

From today to the morning I updated, bromite is being bought in a great way! Very happy!.

I discovered it 1 month ago and could not use it for this reason. Congratulations to the developers. ??

Chrisbren

Dec 25, 2017
Chromium does not block all ads. It only blocks ads that Google deem to intrusive and abusive. Bromite on the other hand uses filter lists from reputed sources to blocks lots of ads you might encounter when browsing.

It's stated on Bromite v77 released note
" Bromite v77 has been released and switches to the native Chromium adblock engine "

How would this affect performance or effectiveness of adblock ?

CarbonGTR

Sep 12, 2019
(¬‿¬ )
" Bromite v77 has been released and switches to the native Chromium adblock engine "

It would most likely improve. The older one was based off of NoChromo and upto V76 Bromite's adblocker was based of it. NoChromo is a old, outdated chromium browser too.

Adrian1983xda

Feb 23, 2019
I tried the new Chrome flag "tab group" to group tabs in bromite and it works.

The problem is that having Chrome duet activated, the bottom bar disappears. "Chrome duet" and "tab group" cannot live together.

I don't know if it's a joke problem, or it's set by Chrome to work like this.

CarbonGTR

Sep 12, 2019
(¬‿¬ )
I tried the new Chrome flag "tab group" to group tabs in bromite and it works.

The problem is that having Chrome duet activated, the bottom bar disappears. "Chrome duet" and "tab group" cannot live together.

I don't know if it's a joke problem, or it's set by Chrome to work like this.

If it's a flag, Then most likely it is experimental. It will get fixed in future versions :good:

csagan5

Oct 11, 2017
www.bromite.org
Is it possible to remove Bromite's access request to "BatteryManager"?
Battery information is not reported to any website, I can try looking into this but the normal procedure is to submit a feature request on Github.

does Bromite have no settings to enable push notifications on websites?
I have looked into this in the past; they should be working, you have to test with Chromium as well.

What's the difference between native Chromium adblock engine and Bromite adblock engine?
The engine is the same but Bromite uses the filters mentioned in the project README and does not whitelist any party.

The new addition in v77 is the Bromite AdBlock Update service, which was developed to allow filter updates without the need of re-downloading the APK.
See also: https://github.com/bromite/bromite/wiki/AdBlocking

The engines were already very similar; the Chromium adblock engine also has CSS element hiding rules support, which is an improvement.

It would most likely improve. The older one was based off of NoChromo and upto V76 Bromite's adblocker was based of it. NoChromo is a old, outdated chromium browser too.
NoChromo was based on the Javascript AdBlockPlus codebase (an old one, probably), Bromite engine was based on NoChromo engine but underwent various performance improvements and feature additions over its existence.

The Chromium engine is also rooted on AdBlockPlus (same rules format), but it's more performant simply because it has been optimised to run on IO threads, so it provides a less sluggish navigation experience.

Anyone else got problems with ADBLOCK with latest Webview (v77)? Switching back to v76 and ADS in apps are gone again.
It's supposed to work; can you submit a bug report on Github? Perhaps the SystemWebView also switched to NetworkService in v77 and that's bypassing the internal adblocker.

Adrian1983xda

Feb 23, 2019
Battery information is not reported to any website, I can try looking into this but the normal procedure is to submit a feature request on Github.

I have looked into this in the past; they should be working, you have to test with Chromium as well.

The engine is the same but Bromite uses the filters mentioned in the project README and does not whitelist any party.

The new addition in v77 is the Bromite AdBlock Update service, which was developed to allow filter updates without the need of re-downloading the APK.
See also: https://github.com/bromite/bromite/wiki/AdBlocking

The engines were already very similar; the Chromium adblock engine also has CSS element hiding rules support, which is an improvement.

NoChromo was based on the Javascript AdBlockPlus codebase (an old one, probably), Bromite engine was based on NoChromo engine but underwent various performance improvements and feature additions over its existence.

The Chromium engine is also rooted on AdBlockPlus (same rules format), but it's more performant simply because it has been optimised to run on IO threads, so it provides a less sluggish navigation experience.

It's supposed to work; can you submit a bug report on Github? Perhaps the SystemWebView also switched to NetworkService in v77 and that's bypassing the internal adblocker.

With respect to push notifications, when the request window on the web car emerges, it must be approved or denied, but the window is frozen. It does not allow me to perform any action.

Then when you go back, the window disappears but notifications for that site are blocked.

It happens to me with all the sites I've tried.

Fruitrat

May 3, 2019
Is the bromite repo down?
I cant get the repo to sync and fdroid.bromite.org seems to have gone black-hole since at least yesterday, I cannot even ping the server. Should I wait with installing the magisk module until it comes back online?

Fruitrat

May 3, 2019
It is not ssl related, the server is completely offline, not returning a single packet of data. I checked from 2 different ip's.
The cetificate issue you describe likely applies to sites that have http strict transport security (hsts) enabled. Otherwise the option to proceed appears when you click 'learn more' in chrome.

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone