[APP] [4.4+] Bromite - Chromium plus adblocking

Search This thread

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
any plans to do pc?

Yeah would love to have bromite for pc....

Closest thing on desktop operating systems, included already in some Linux distros. Been using it for a while myself :

https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium/blob/master/README.md

Edit : If you follow GitHub, you will see there's been some borrowing and collaboration between both projects, Bromite and Ungoogled Chromium.

Donate to open source projects, it's hard work that benefits us all.

Edit 2 : For all options possible across all platforms, as mentioned before, check : https://chromium.woolyss.com

Last edited:

NamitNayan

Feb 11, 2017
So using bromite webview
Gives me background playback feature in webview based browsers.
(Tested on DuckDuckgo browser, Jquarks (jelly browser fork)).
Though no ui in notification shade.
(Still nice thing to have)
(I know bromite webview has most features of the main app, though i didn't expect this to work)

MAOQ

May 6, 2015
Kharkiv
Why?
There's a reason both webview and the browser are kept up to date. There are lots of bug fixes and security patches. There is no reason to go with an outdated version

That is, you should not return to that version? :)
To be honest, I think so, but some say that, until then, the version of System WebView 76.0.3809.129 of advertisements appears less in the browser.))) https://github.com/bromite/bromite/wiki/Installing-SystemWebView
Is it well worth switching from System WebView to Bromite WebView? If so, then how to do it right?
They also say that if you select the Android System WebView location on Bromite WebView, some applications will not work or will not work correctly.
Now I do not use Chrome as a system (I deleted and left only Android System WebView).

Last edited:

Sudhangshu

That is, you should not return to that version? :)
To be honest, I think so, but some say that, until then, the version of System WebView 76.0.3809.129 of advertisements appears less in the browser.))) https://github.com/bromite/bromite/wiki/Installing-SystemWebView
Is it well worth switching from System WebView to Bromite WebView? If so, then how to do it right?
They also say that if you select the Android System WebView location on Bromite WebView, some applications will not work or will not work correctly.
Now I do not use Chrome as a system (I deleted and left only Android System WebView).
Hello there that's quite some description about system webview though I would like to request you can you share how can I change from system webview to bromite webview. I already downloaded and installed bromite webvies and know no method to change.
Thanks a lot.

Tommytommy1234

Oct 3, 2015
Hello there that's quite some description about system webview though I would like to request you can you share how can I change from system webview to bromite webview. I already downloaded and installed bromite webvies and know no method to change.
Thanks a lot.
In Developer Options you can find WebView implementation. If you don't see developer options in Settings, go to About phone and tap on Build number many times and should show up.

Reactions: Sudhangshu

MAOQ

May 6, 2015
Kharkiv
Thanks a lot.

I gave the link above how to change System WebView initially to Bromite WebView. :)
Simply, I do not want to change to Bromite WebView. Because, I heard that (in our Magisk theme, by the way, there is the Magisk module Bromite Systemless WebView), after changing some applications it does not work, or it does not work correctly.
But, if Bromite Systemless WebView is installed, some applications that run under this WebView will become smoother and less advertising will appear. Something like this. :eek:

Reactions: Sudhangshu

Ascii3

Sep 17, 2015
The Bromite System WebView installation guide located at https://github.com/bromite/bromite/...w#installation-with-root-file-manager-or-twrp , states:

https://github.com/bromite/bromite/wiki/Installing-SystemWebView#installation-with-root-file-manager-or-twrp said:
Installation with root file manager or TWRP

• go to the webview directory in /system/app/webview (if you do not have such directory, this procedure will not work)
  • cut the webview.apk file and store it on your SD card for backup purposes
  • copy the Bromite SystemWebview apk there and rename it as webview.apk
  • make sure the permissions of webview.apk are 0644 (should be by default)
  • reboot phone
  • install the Bromite SystemWebview apk file as you would for any other app
The apps that need the webview will crash if you do not install the Bromite SystemWebView apk after rebooting. Once the installation is complete it will be possible to update the SystemWebView without root.
I have verified that Bromite System WebView and Chromium's Android System WebView packages that are installed as system apps also have to be installed as a user apps (updates); otherwise, apps that try to use the WebView fail and crash.

I would have thought that it should be sufficient to only install the WebView package as a system app and that it would be usable, given that that is true of Google WebView and that such behavior would appear to be intended after reading Chromium's documentation.

Why does Bromite System WebView have to be installed as a user app (update) to a system app to be usable?

EDIT: Solution found. See https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=82454323&postcount=2240 .

Last edited:

d1n0x

Oct 4, 2010
Last edited:

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
I downloaded it from the official F-Droid repository... Could it be that this build was uploaded sooner than on GitHub?

Sometimes the builds take a while and don't come out all at once. It may be that Bromite came out two whole days before the WebView... And only when all builds for this version were ready, they showed up on GitHub ? I really don't know. ( I see now the F-Droid repository is mentioned on Bromite's site, didn't know it was another official source. )

Reactions: d1n0x

Ascii3

Sep 17, 2015
The Bromite System WebView installation guide located at https://github.com/bromite/bromite/...w#installation-with-root-file-manager-or-twrp , states:

I have verified that Bromite System WebView and Chromium's Android System WebView packages that are installed as system apps also have to be installed as a user apps (updates); otherwise, apps that try to use the WebView fail and crash.

I would have thought that it should be sufficient to only install the WebView package as a system app and that it would be usable, given that that is true of Google WebView and that such behavior would appear to be intended after reading Chromium's documentation.

Why does Bromite System WebView have to be installed as a user app (update) to a system app to be usable?
After some research on Android app installation and dependencies, I have found the reason why simply installing the app as as system via procedure from Bromite "Installing SystemWebView" wiki page does not work without installing a user app update of it. The reason is that the Wiki's instructions are incorrect.

The packages of Bromite System WebView, that have thus far been released and that I have examined, have library file dependencies. Given how the files are packaged and how the software works, on at least Android 7.0, the dependent libraries files must also be accessible externally to the base APK file. After extracting the dependent libraries from the Bromite WebView APK file to the various lib/[architecture code]/ directories and setting correct permissions, the WebView implementation would work correctly after reboot.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone