[APP] [4.4+] Bromite - Chromium plus adblocking

Search This thread

Exabyter

Mar 11, 2017
Sometimes Google makes very dumb, very stupid, very damaging decisions.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=881410

Chrom* : handle with care. Breaking thousands of server admins' workflow on a whim on any given day.

This is the same kind of crap that every browser maker pulled when they had an overwhelming marketshare. (Netscape, Microsoft, and now Google.) In short, any browser maker with a dominant marketshare cannot seem to resist the temptation to declare themselves "Emperor of the Web" and try to dictate to everyone else.

I wonder if the fact that the comments on that bug were almost unanimously critical will have any sway upon them.

Self-proclaimed emperors tend not to care what the peasants think.

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
This is the same kind of crap that every browser maker pulled when they had an overwhelming marketshare. (Netscape, Microsoft, and now Google.) In short, any browser maker with a dominant marketshare cannot seem to resist the temptation to declare themselves "Emperor of the Web" and try to dictate to everyone else.

I wonder if the fact that the comments on that bug were almost unanimously critical will have any sway upon them.

Self-proclaimed emperors tend not to care what the peasants think.

You are right. They cannot do this though. Technically or legally.

It comes down to www.xyz.com NOT being the same as xyz.com; again, technically and legally. They effectively erase one of the two.

This breaks how things work for ISPs, DNS worlwide, servers, etc, etc. Hence the universal outcry. Also, it leaves them wide open to serious legal action. If their browser treats company A as company B because of URL mismanagement, or causes company A to be invisible because their browser redirects to B... And so on, lawsuits are gonna come flying at Google. From John Doe to Microsoft, from Apple being affected to the government.

This is not like an automaker engaging in whatever shenanigans to take over the car market, this is like an automaker deciding to blow up half the roads. What ?

We'll see how it goes. It's been fun already with our clients. More than evil, this is incredibly stupid.

Edit : Seems to have been acknowledged as bug / regression / security vulnerability... ( Breaking SSL certificates, for instance. )

Last edited:
Reactions: IronTechmonkey

Exabyter

Mar 11, 2017
You are right. They cannot do this though. Technically or legally.

It comes down to www.xyz.com NOT being the same as xyz.com; again, technically and legally. They effectively erase one of the two.

This breaks how things work for ISPs, DNS worlwide, servers, etc, etc. Hence the universal outcry. Also, it leaves them wide open to serious legal action. If their browser treats company A as company B because of URL mismanagement, or causes company A to be invisible because their browser redirects to B... And so on, lawsuits are gonna come flying at Google. From John Doe to Microsoft, from Apple being affected to the government.

This is not like an automaker engaging in whatever shenanigans to take over the car market, this is like an automaker deciding to blow up half the roads. What ?

We'll see how it goes. It's been fun already with our clients. More than evil, this is incredibly stupid.

Yep. I wonder what the W3C thinks. Maybe we need Tim Berners-Lee to shame them publicly or something.

iPollesion

Oct 18, 2008
63.0.3239.150 is released. Changelog is here

Please test H264 videos on the ARM build (ARMv7, not ARM64) because I enabled NEON optimizations there; it should be faster/better. Please report if it crashes or shows black screen.

Some other relevant information:
  • Jelly Bean and Lollipop builds are available for ARM64
  • progress is being done on having this released through F-Droid, maybe in a few weeks we will have it there

What is the likelihood of supporting browser extensions? You also do not seem to have any way to configure the ads that are blocked or support for blocking elements.

Yandex seems to have support for Chrome extensions, after reading about it on DigitalBin, is this accurate since Yandex is also a Chromium fork.

Can you elaborate on the Google Account integration, which you aren't using for signing into the browser?

abelenki

Jan 8, 2012
Perm
lowtrucks.net
Hey man, I'm new to the Android world. I was more into the iOS scene. I remember he mentioned it somewhere previously, but not sure what he meant
from first post:

Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Does Bromite support Google Sync, Translate or Data saver?
No. This is not a limitation of Bromite but of all Chromium-based projects in general, as general public is not allowed to use Google's APIs for free unless when using Chrome.

Reactions: iPollesion

iPollesion

Oct 18, 2008
from first post:

That blows, I truly thought that would have been free. How about the extensions and configuring ads/blocking elements within Bromite? Without looking at the source or building requirements, does this seem like a viable request for those of us wanting a bit more control over the browser?

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
日本
Reactions: iPollesion

abelenki

Jan 8, 2012
Perm
lowtrucks.net
How to translate pages? The option in settings is greyed out.
lol.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Does Bromite support Google Sync, Translate or Data saver?
No. This is not a limitation of Bromite but of all Chromium-based projects in general, as general public is not allowed to use Google's APIs for free unless when using Chrome.

p.s.: learn english.

NamitNayan

Feb 11, 2017
chrome://flags/#enable-chrome-duet

Attachments

• IMG_20180915_150330.jpg
    IMG_20180915_150330.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 607
Reactions: zenoh

Ace42

Jul 20, 2009
New York
Moto G Power
Motorola Edge
do you feel that this browser renders pages a bit slower than other browsers? E.g Brave?
For example the home page of engadget stutters in Bromite when you do a quick scroll, whereas other browsers are very smooth. (Tried with latest version of Chrome and Brave)
Thanks
Seems fine to me, tried engadget on my phone with a SD821. You can try using Bromite without ad block enabled. Personally I use Feedly for sites with RSS support.

Reactions: kvevand63
G

GuestK00420

Would you mind sharing that zip once again? I'll host it for other noobs.

I am interested in this. Seems the documented procedure for installing B webview doesn't work on this ROM. It has worked previously on others.

I take it that this was an expiring link. Would you mind reposting?

Extract the BromiteSystemWebView.zip and place the latest webview as per architecture under "/system/app/webview/webview.apk" then compress as zip file and install in Magisk. Also, install the webview apk once again as normal.

Attachments

• BromiteSystemWebView.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 43

jerryn70

Mar 15, 2012
Extract the BromiteSystemWebView.zip and place the latest webview as per architecture under "/system/app/webview/webview.apk" then compress as zip file and install in Magisk. Also, install the webview apk once again as normal.

What is the difference between android system web view (available in the play store) and bromite web view

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone