[APP] [4.4+] Bromite - Chromium plus adblocking

Search This thread

marcdw

Sep 24, 2014
Baldwin Park
How do you get Chrome bookmarks into Bromite? I have different ones in each one.

Sent from my SM-A520W using XDA Labs
At the time I used the steps from this thread...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=73048109

An involved process, especially if you have extra folders as I had. My bookmarks are many and ancient. Half probably don't work. [emoji16]
Since then, however, Bromite has the ability to import bookmarks, if I'm not mistaken. Since I don't use computers anymore I haven't tested it. One would export the bookmarks there and import on the phone. ??

ZTE Axon 7 A2017U, Dark ROM, LlamaSweet 0.5 Kernel, Multiboot, XDA Legacy

Reactions: SnowFuhrer

SnowFuhrer

Apr 5, 2018
Spirit River
At the time I used the steps from this thread...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=73048109

An involved process, especially if you have extra folders as I had. My bookmarks are many and ancient. Half probably don't work. [emoji16]
Since then, however, Bromite has the ability to import bookmarks, if I'm not mistaken. Since I don't use computers anymore I haven't tested it. One would export the bookmarks there and import on the phone. ??

ZTE Axon 7 A2017U, Dark ROM, LlamaSweet 0.5 Kernel, Multiboot, XDA Legacy
Awesome I might try it!

Sent from my SM-A520W using XDA Labs

custon3

Dec 8, 2015
The 69.xx versions of bromite are behaving erroneously with the dns connections (it is not respecting my configuration). versions 68.xx work correctly.

handers1234

May 26, 2016
Anyone success installing system webview root method?
I tried but it just blank in "set WebView Implementation" option in developer options and browser that use that crash/prompt to install system webview(eg.opera/opera mini,via,etc)

marcdw

Sep 24, 2014
Baldwin Park
Anyone success installing system webview root method?
I tried but it just blank in "set WebView Implementation" option in developer options and browser that use that crash/prompt to install system webview(eg.opera/opera mini,via,etc)

I do it all the time. Looks like you might be missing a step.

Place Bromite webview in/as /system/app/webview/webview.apk. Permissions 644 (rw-r--r--).
Boot into ROM and install Bromite webview as a regular app. Mandatory step.
All should be good after that.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Labs

handers1234

May 26, 2016
I do it all the time. Looks like you might be missing a step.

Place Bromite webview in/as /system/app/webview/webview.apk. Permissions 644 (rw-r--r--).
Boot into ROM and install Bromite webview as a regular app. Mandatory step.
All should be good after that.

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Labs
Okay this what I did:
1.Download bromite,change its name to webview.apk
2.Backup original webview.apk,then copy the bromite to /system/app/webview
3.Reboot
4.Then open again /system/app/webview and install the apk with android package installer
But then the set system webview option in developer options just blank and app that use system webview can't be opened.

marcdw

Sep 24, 2014
Baldwin Park
@handers1234,
I should've mentioned I do the first part while in TWRP (I can't always trust that changes made while in ROM actually stick). You don't mention if the apk was given proper permissions (644).
After reboot, installing the downloaded apk would've sufficed, no need to open the one in /system.

Which ROM and Android are you on, btw? AospExtended Nougat shows webview implementation as AOSP WebView. OmniROM Oreo shows "Bromite System WebView". Also using it on Lollipop. No room for Pie. [emoji16]

ZTE Axon 7 A2017U, AospExtended v4.6 ROM, LlamaSweet 0.5 Kernel, microG (NoGapps), Multiboot, XDA Legacy

Last edited:

handers1234

May 26, 2016
@handers1234,
I should've mentioned I do the first part while in TWRP (I can't always trust that changes made while in ROM actually stick). You don't mention if the apk was given proper permissions (644).
After reboot, installing the downloaded apk would've sufficed, no need to open the one in /system.

Which ROM and Android are you on, btw? AospExtended Nougat shows webview implementation as AOSP WebView. OmniROM Oreo shows "Bromite System WebView". Also using it on Lollipop. No room for Pie. [emoji16]

ZTE Axon 7 A2017U, AospExtended v4.6 ROM, LlamaSweet 0.5 Kernel, microG (NoGapps), Multiboot, XDA Legacy
Well when I move it automatically has 644 permissions,I'm on AEX N.Well I moved the downloaded bromite apk to /system/app/webview
I'll ask my rom's dev,it seems he implement system webview differently or somthing because even when I try to update using official playstore one,in /system/app/webview still the old apk

Reactions: Trickymaster

marcdw

Sep 24, 2014
Baldwin Park
Well when I move it automatically has 644 permissions,I'm on AEX N.Well I moved the downloaded bromite apk to /system/app/webview
I'll ask my rom's dev,it seems he implement system webview differently or somthing because even when I try to update using official playstore one,in /system/app/webview still the old apk
Waitiminit, there is no AOSP webview in the Play Store so it can't be updated that way anyway. Despite the generic sounding "Android System WebView", that is a Google item. By any chance do you have Google's webview installed? If so that may be part of the problem.

Anyhind, if the dev hasn't done anything different with the ROM and one hasn't installed Google's webview: By default there should be a /system/app/webview/webview.apk. I, while in TWRP (usually using AROMA file manager), will copy downloaded Bromite webview to /system/app/webview/. Delete webview.apk. rename Bromite file to webview.apk. Change permission to 644 if needed. Boot into ROM and install the downloaded Bromite webview. That's it. Has worked 100% for me. From LP to Oreo. Never made the change in a running ROM though.

Some extra info is in the wiki.
https://github.com/bromite/bromite/wiki/Installing-SystemWebView

LG G3 D851, crDroidAndroid v3.8.3 ROM, ArtxUltra v1.0U Kernel, microG (NoGapps), MultiROM, XDA Legacy

Reactions: ainurrofiq
G

GuestK0078

Which version supports DoH ? i'm kinda lost with all the sub versions.
A great browser, fast as light , any reasons why the dev doesn't posts here any longer ?

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone