[APP] [4.4+] Bromite - Chromium plus adblocking

Search This thread

Ulf3000

Aug 7, 2014
can somone please compile bromite but so it identifies as

com.google.chrome

i would like to use it with osmgo, maps go and other apps which ask for chrome to be installed

Ulf3000

Aug 7, 2014
I just learned about and tested OSM Go and there's not even a Chromium based browser required as I see it.

closes and shows toast message:

please install chrome stable 72 or later

edit: newer version works with other brothers ...

still the point was to use bromite instead of chrome for webe apps which ask for chrome

Last edited:

pupsidze

May 15, 2016
Guys, I cannot install Bromite System Webview. I follow the manual on github but after reboot nothing appears in Settings->Developer options->Webview Implementation....it is blank....if I install Webview from playstore, it appears there but not Bromite Webview. OS is Lineage 14.1 (7.1.2). Any ideas how to fix it?

Adrian1983xda

Feb 23, 2019
Guys, because if I install Bromite, I'm going to settings> about> second line the name of the gold device that is not mine appears!

Do you understand my question? My phone is a Xiaomi mi 9 TPro and there is another model of another brand!

It is normal? It's okay?

glavinstone

Feb 12, 2013
Guys, because if I install Bromite, I'm going to settings> about> second line the name of the gold device that is not mine appears!

Do you understand my question? My phone is a Xiaomi mi 9 TPro and there is another model of another brand!

It is normal? It's okay?
Bromite conceals device model and browser version via fixed user agent. So it's normal and one of bromite's feature.

_Switch_On

Mar 10, 2018
Fingerprinting and webgl option in chrome://flags toogling to enable (leaking browser fingerprinting) everytime after updating bromite browser. Luckly, there is reset button. Is it just me or anyone experience same issue?

NamitNayan

Feb 11, 2017
@csagan5 it looks like the YouTube background playback feature broke in the latest release, it was working fine a couple of versions ago (iirc).
It was quite handy, (maybe not privacy related but...)

iPAQ 6515a User

Mar 24, 2008
DF
Guys, I cannot install Bromite System Webview. I follow the manual on github but after reboot nothing appears in Settings->Developer options->Webview Implementation....it is blank....if I install Webview from playstore, it appears there but not Bromite Webview. OS is Lineage 14.1 (7.1.2). Any ideas how to fix it?
Install AnyWebView from Xposed Depository

LSS4181

Mar 13, 2012
Google Pixel C
Razer Phone 2
Seems like Bromite Webview does not work on Android 10

I tried this on followmsi's Lineage 17 build (20191107) for Pixel C. For some reasons Bromite WebView would not register on Android Q. It will not show up in the available WebView implementations list. This is tested using both NanoDroid BromiteWebView module (22.5, which is already aware of the new path) as well as replacing the apk manually in the system/product/app.

Not sure whether it's compatible now or not, as I tested this only a few weeks ago (when the Lineage 17 build I mentioned just came out). If the problem is not on your end, I'll look into Android Q's source to see what might have caused it, and if the Lineage 17 build in question might be causing it, I'll report the issue there instead.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have started an open source project to support Chromium + custom patches for adblocking:

https://www.bromite.org/

What is Bromite?
    Bromite is Chromium plus ad blocking and privacy enhancements; it started as a port of NoChromo and nowadays adds more privacy-focused patches and is maintained against the latest stable Chromium.

Development & donations
    Please join the development on Github for improvements.
    Donations are welcome and help supporting development and build server costs!

Download & availability
    Bromite is available for download from the Bromite Official website, which points to the Github Releases for all the downloads, and via the official third-party F-Droid repository.

Frequently Asked Questions
    Q. Does Bromite support Google Sync, Translate or Data saver?
    No. This is not a limitation of Bromite but of all Chromium-based projects in general, as general public is not allowed to use Google's APIs for free unless when using Chrome.

Q. Does Bromite require root?
    No.

Q. What is the SystemWebView?
    It is the core component of Android for all web page visualizations. For example when you access a new wifi network and need to activate it, that is using the SystemWebView. If you do not know what it is then you do not need to install it.

How to enable DNS-over-HTTPS?
    See this wiki page.

Q. Can you add dark mode/some cool themes?
    No.
    Bromite is about adblocking and privacy.

For other F.A.Q.s see https://github.com/bromite/bromite/blob/master/FAQ.md

Resources

Social/discussion platforms

In the news

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: the author (@csagan5) is not posting frequently on these forums, for official information about Bromite refer to the official website and GitHub project.
    I don't see how Bromite could violate Chrome's policies since it's based on Chromium. What about all CAF/chromium based browsers? Opera, Brave, Inox, Iridium...
    But I think you should change the logo. I created the attached logo if necessary. Released under CC0 1.0 Universal license :)

What do you mean by "make a Br logo if you can"?

Here are two versions in green. I guess it's better to wait for csagan5's opinion before doing anything else :)

Thanks @OSheden for your work, I truly forgot to say that after the exchange with Bruce from Google Play Team I decided to close my account (forfeiting the 25$ of course) because basically he threatened to suspend my account if I continued asking what is in violation, rather than only the app as they had done already, preventing me from making any changes already. Threatening is generally not a good sign, regardless of what platform you are publishing on. It is not a sign of a healthy ecosystem either, and Google Play is not. They have the monopoly and act as such. This means that they are very defensive and they decide the rules, and that's it. I asked in every single email Bruce to learn what is Chromium, to no extent, but it's not his fault. They told him to keep using pre-canned answers, and that's what he does.

I do not want people to be confused with Chrome but to understand it's a fork of Chromium even by the logo (this is very common in open source world). That is both because I believe Chromium project should not die (I hope so) and because it is generally positive for open source projects to share roots and thrive in different directions.

For the time being I do not plan changing the logo, I personally do not care about the logo - but as per tag-line, Bromite is Chromium + adblocking and some privacy-oriented patches. It is not Chrome and I have no problem making steps to make it different, but not for the Play Store.

My decision is not much of a ragequit but rather an acknowledgement that a) it would require a massive amount of time to abide to each and every request of the reviewers and b) I do not agree with the position of "this is violating Chrome" when 100% of the Chrome team publishes the patches for Chromium under that brand. I prefer spending that time as I have been doing to maintain Bromite.

You are probably asking: what about F-Droid? see https://github.com/bromite/bromite/issues/4

In other news, version 63.0.3239.150 is almost finished building (~10 hours left I think) and contains some nice bugfixes.
    66.0.3359.188 has been released.

CHANGELOG
    68.0.3440.90 has been released.

CHANGELOG
    65.0.3325.230 has been released.

CHANGELOG