[APP] [4.4+] Bromite - Chromium plus adblocking

Search This thread

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
HTC Desire
Google Nexus 4
Hi @csagan5

Is it possible to disable the grid view/ tab groups in the latest Bromite?

I set the "enable tab grid layout" to "disabled" and relaunched the browser several times (I even FCed it) but I'm still seeing the grid view.

Fyi, doing so in Google Chrome actually works. Maybe something is missing in Chromium-based browsers?

Thanks!

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
東京都 Tokyo Metro
Hi @csagan5

I set the "enable tab grid layout" to "disabled" and relaunched the browser several times (I even FCed it) but I'm still seeing the grid view.

Thanks!

I strongly dislike the taller size of the tabs now in grid view ( they were 3:4, now 1:2 ? ) and went through all the alternative options, but, just like you, I noticed they are fixed in that mode and won't change to any other.

Reactions: IronTechmonkey

zputnyq

Apr 19, 2013
I strongly dislike the taller size of the tabs now in grid view ( they were 3:4, now 1:2 ? ) and went through all the alternative options, but, just like you, I noticed they are fixed in that mode and won't change to any other.
Hi @csagan5

Fyi, doing so in Google Chrome actually works. Maybe something is missing in Chromium-based browsers?

Thanks!
I successfully disable it on my old android (android 6) by disabling some flags related then exit & open the browser twice. But I also clean browsing cache, history etc on bromite first.

These are the flags
1. Tab grid layout.
2. Tab groups.
3. Tab groups continuation.
4. Tab groups ui improvements.

Are you guys sure has disabled them ?

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
東京都 Tokyo Metro
I successfully disable it on my old android (android 6) by disabling some flags related then exit & open the browser twice. But I also clean browsing cache, history etc on bromite first.

These are the flags
1. Tab grid layout.
2. Tab groups.

I was just confirming that changes are not applying. I actually want and use the grid view. ( Not the now larger, less useful tab size. )

Edit : FTR I have Tab grid enabled and all groups options disabled.

Last edited:

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
HTC Desire
Google Nexus 4

These are the flags
1. Tab grid layout.
2. Tab groups.

Nice, disabling all of these worked! Thanks 👍

Reactions: zputnyq

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
東京都 Tokyo Metro

KiwisIbk2

Jul 18, 2019
Can anybody help me how to enable Chromecast streaming inside Bromite? (YouTube etc.) In my Bromite the Chromecast symbol won't appear... :(

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
HTC Desire
Google Nexus 4
Hi @csagan5

Thanks!
Aaaaand this is broken again! Google is so annoying with this ridiculous tabs view!

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
東京都 Tokyo Metro
'Open in new tab' when long pressing a link seems to be gone, can't find a way to bring it back.

Copy link + open new tab + paste link makes browsing many, many times slower, especially if one wants to open several links from the same page while still keeping that page open, repeating these three steps plus a fourth of going back to the origin page for each link.

Or worse, open link directly, then going back to reloading the origin page all over again, and then repeat as many times as links to be opened. Waste of time, and bandwith.

I find strange nobody has commented on this. ( Unless one has a single site / tab open at a time in Bromite is unavoidable. )

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
HTC Desire
Google Nexus 4
@Ultramanoid, I still have the option to open in a new tab when I long-press a link with the latest version.

I can't disable the stupid grid view for tabs though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210520-082128.png
    Screenshot_20210520-082128.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Reactions: Ultramanoid

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
東京都 Tokyo Metro
@Ultramanoid, I still have the option to open in a new tab when I long-press a link with the latest version.

Thanks, guess I'll have to go flag hunting then, again, because I just have. Good luck with the grid view. There have been changes in tab group options but Bromite has kept some of those flags that Chromium removed, I guess it's all related.

Like you, I wish they stopped messing wth it.

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
東京都 Tokyo Metro
'Open in new tab' when long pressing a link seems to be gone, can't find a way to bring it back.

Copy link + open new tab + paste link makes browsing many, many times slower, especially if one wants to open several links from the same page while still keeping that page open, repeating these three steps plus a fourth of going back to the origin page for each link.

Or worse, open link directly, then going back to reloading the origin page all over again, and then repeat as many times as links to be opened. Waste of time, and bandwith.

I find strange nobody has commented on this. ( Unless one has a single site / tab open at a time in Bromite is unavoidable. )

It's not a flag, it's incognito. I only use incognito. When opening in a normal tab, the menu is complete. In incognito mode the options for new tab are gone, there's only copy link, copy text, or share.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    221 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have started an open source project to support Chromium + custom patches for adblocking:

https://www.bromite.org/

What is Bromite?
    Bromite is Chromium plus ad blocking and privacy enhancements; it started as a port of NoChromo and nowadays adds more privacy-focused patches and is maintained against the latest stable Chromium.

Development & donations
    Please join the development on Github for improvements.
    Donations are welcome and help supporting development and build server costs!

Download & availability
    Bromite is available for download from the Bromite Official website, which points to the Github Releases for all the downloads, and via the official third-party F-Droid repository.

Frequently Asked Questions
    Q. Does Bromite support Google Sync, Translate or Data saver?
    No. This is not a limitation of Bromite but of all Chromium-based projects in general, as general public is not allowed to use Google's APIs for free unless when using Chrome.

Q. Does Bromite require root?
    No.

Q. What is the SystemWebView?
    It is the core component of Android for all web page visualizations. For example when you access a new wifi network and need to activate it, that is using the SystemWebView. If you do not know what it is then you do not need to install it.

How to enable DNS-over-HTTPS?
    See this wiki page.

Q. Can you add dark mode/some cool themes?
    No.
    Bromite is about adblocking and privacy.

For other F.A.Q.s see https://github.com/bromite/bromite/blob/master/FAQ.md

Resources

Social/discussion platforms

In the news

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: the author (@csagan5) is not posting frequently on these forums, for official information about Bromite refer to the official website and GitHub project.
    I don't see how Bromite could violate Chrome's policies since it's based on Chromium. What about all CAF/chromium based browsers? Opera, Brave, Inox, Iridium...
    But I think you should change the logo. I created the attached logo if necessary. Released under CC0 1.0 Universal license :)

What do you mean by "make a Br logo if you can"?

Here are two versions in green. I guess it's better to wait for csagan5's opinion before doing anything else :)

Thanks @OSheden for your work, I truly forgot to say that after the exchange with Bruce from Google Play Team I decided to close my account (forfeiting the 25$ of course) because basically he threatened to suspend my account if I continued asking what is in violation, rather than only the app as they had done already, preventing me from making any changes already. Threatening is generally not a good sign, regardless of what platform you are publishing on. It is not a sign of a healthy ecosystem either, and Google Play is not. They have the monopoly and act as such. This means that they are very defensive and they decide the rules, and that's it. I asked in every single email Bruce to learn what is Chromium, to no extent, but it's not his fault. They told him to keep using pre-canned answers, and that's what he does.

I do not want people to be confused with Chrome but to understand it's a fork of Chromium even by the logo (this is very common in open source world). That is both because I believe Chromium project should not die (I hope so) and because it is generally positive for open source projects to share roots and thrive in different directions.

For the time being I do not plan changing the logo, I personally do not care about the logo - but as per tag-line, Bromite is Chromium + adblocking and some privacy-oriented patches. It is not Chrome and I have no problem making steps to make it different, but not for the Play Store.

My decision is not much of a ragequit but rather an acknowledgement that a) it would require a massive amount of time to abide to each and every request of the reviewers and b) I do not agree with the position of "this is violating Chrome" when 100% of the Chrome team publishes the patches for Chromium under that brand. I prefer spending that time as I have been doing to maintain Bromite.

You are probably asking: what about F-Droid? see https://github.com/bromite/bromite/issues/4

In other news, version 63.0.3239.150 is almost finished building (~10 hours left I think) and contains some nice bugfixes.
    66.0.3359.188 has been released.

CHANGELOG
    68.0.3440.90 has been released.

CHANGELOG
    65.0.3325.230 has been released.

CHANGELOG