• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][4.4+] LVoicemail

Would you be interested in an App that acts as a voicemail?

• Yes

Votes: 61 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

biggeorge007

Dec 16, 2008
Please carry on this work and let us have a beta version, have Huawei phone and need to stop these debt collectors calling.
Bigger market for an application like this than you think.

George

Dec 14, 2017
This is fake don't waste your time here

Greetings!
Few months ago a friend of mine ask me if it could be possible to create a Voicemail App that allows to:
  • Answer the call automatically
  • Play a pre-recorded voice message to the caller
  • Start recording the voicecall
  • Save the conversation to a local audio file
Then I started the development.
It acts like an auto answering machine.
In Italy listening Voicemail costs something at each call, so this friend of mine would like to get a free voicemail service (obliviously it doesn't work if the network is not available in that moment).

At this moment the App is 65% done and it works well on three different devices (Stock and Rooted) but me and my friend are the only two people that are using it.

Screenshots:

01_Welcome.png

02_Settings_Main.png

03_Auto_Answer_Mode.png

04_Recording_Settings.png

Here I leave a poll because I would like to know if it could interest someone else.

This is bullshit . he just posting images actually he doesn't have anything if he had then he might post beta version.
So don't waste your time here

emandt

Jan 4, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Most of the features except for playing media through microphone can be achieved through Tasker
There are many issues with this method:

1) when someone calls your phonenumber the voicecall is automatically answered and it is redirected through the Speaker+Mic so the caller can hear all what you're doing. I don't think many people wants that someone else let hear all what he's doing in that moment

2) the recorded quality is poor and full of the ambient noise and maybe even with an echo of the caller voice

3) if you're in a business meeting (one of the most common situation where you need this kind of App) the voicecall is redirected to the Speaker using the max volume, so all your colleagues will hear your wife listing to you what to by at the store before returning home

4) you cannot choose which number will raise the autoanswer feature and which don't (not all phonenumbers could be elegible for this)

5) without your WelcomeMessage at the beginning of the voicecall the caller could not understand what to do and could think that you have accidentally answered the call and he could decide to hangup quick

Last edited:
Reactions: samsylvestertty

samsylvestertty

Dec 28, 2011
Chennai
Hi,

I thought this thread was dead. I just hoped the other method could be an alternative till you come up with your app. Yes, all your stated problems were valid.

Your work for public is appreciated.

P.S.: I just found that, I came to this thread through your post on that thread. So, you know pros and cons of that method more than I do... :)

There are many issues with this method:

1) when someone calls your phonenumber the voicecall is automatically answered and it is redirected through the Speaker+Mic so the caller can hear all what you're doing. I don't think many people wants that someone else let hear all what he's doing in that moment

2) the recorded quality is poor and full of the ambient noise and maybe even with an echo of the caller voice

3) if you're in a business meeting (one of the most common situation where you need this kind of App) the voicecall is redirected to the Speaker using the max volume, so all your colleagues will hear your wife listing to you what to by at the store before returning home

4) you cannot choose which number will raise the autoanswer feature and which don't (not all phonenumbers could be elegible for this)

5) without your WelcomeMessage at the beginning of the voicecall the caller could not understand what to do and could think that you have accidentally answered the call and he could decide to hangup quick

emandt

Jan 4, 2005
I thought this thread was dead
The thread is not dead but I'm facing out few issue on Android 8.x to make the App work.
Many Android changes were made and many "security holes" or "bugs" are now fixed so many methods to record incoming voicecall and auto-answer/auto-terminate a voicecall are to be discovered from scratch.
I saw that quite at every new Android major release (i.e: from 5.1 to 6) few ways to do something about recording or manage the voicecall needs to be adjusted somehow.

It's very stressful until Google (and after it all Manufacturers) decide to stop changing security restrictions and made a fixed/stable API for voicecall.
For example until Android N there wasn't a real command to auto-answer a call, but a developer should execute hidden features that not all devices could have due to manufacturers policy/changes. However even if from Android N the auto-answer is well managed, the problem is the "end of call" : there isn't any usable command to do that. Again a developer should use an hidden system feature. Starting from Android Oreo this hidden "endCall" feature has been restricted to only System Apps and cannot be called by normal Apps. Again the developer (me) faces big issues and should find a different way to end a call.

This things (and many more) happens to me while developing this App.....I think you could start to understand why this App is not jet ready ;)

Reactions: samsylvestertty

nicholes

Mar 7, 2012
indore
Because output audio via an audio channel (which is opened via cellular line) it's not naturally allowed.
The easiest way to do it is to add an audio input pin by chipset manufacturer when it is created, but....

I think manufacturers are convinced to don't do it by "someone" because this feature could let the Android phone/device to became a complex device which can call a list of thousand numbers and automatically play a pre-recorded message for advertising....maybe who don't want this behavior could be GSM operators (as voicemail provider) or someone who is selling advertising...
Those are only my suppositions.
Sincerely I can't imagine other reasons of why manufacturers don't add/connect this audio_pin.

Maybe the complexity of chipset_modification+software (to let the audio go through a new channel) it not enough to justify the hard work to do it.
This new audio_pin could be used only by few developers, so it could not be so valuable...

I remember few phones that had this audio_pin enabled/connected, but I'm talking about many years ago.
Sony xperia has an inbuilt answering machine which works pretty well.

I am also in search of this kind of app.

I remember answering machine and voice changer working in cheap China phones. I my self have used this feature.

Since then I am hunting for such apps, please carry on brother

Psyl0w

Aug 21, 2018
I don't know if the project is still alive but after some Internet searches it seems good answering machine apps doesn't exist for Android yet.

It's almost a joke (at least funny) to observe what was almost a standard feature of our old corded phones is very difficult to implement in smartphones that are more powerful than any 15 years old computers.

qnc

Apr 27, 2007
I contacted the developer of ACR call recorder to see if this would be something that they could program. Their call recording app works wonderful captures calls from both sides. So i figured that if they can do that, how hard would it be to answer a call with an outgoing message and record the incoming message.
they said it was not possible due to android functionality.

I would definitely pay for an app to do this and leave outside VM all together

The7Suggester

Apr 10, 2014
I myself have been looking for an answering machine app like this over the years
Here in new zealand, Its costs 50 cents to listen to each
Voice Mail message left
I would donate to you, developer any day to get a great app such your one :)

MaXi32

Apr 3, 2014
Cyberjaya
I don't think it's possible to develop this app on most phone nowadays. Try this:

"I'm able to play a music through earpiece, let the caller listen to that music and at the same time mute my mic"

If you are able to do the above, I believe you can develop this app but, if not... you are wasting your time trying to figure out how to make the app work.

This issue has been discussed before and it's related to this: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/q-how-play-music-during-call.923200/#post-81977081 .

Believe me many people would be interested to try this app if it's downloadable. It has been discussed many times.

Last edited:
Greetings!
Few months ago a friend of mine ask me if it could be possible to create a Voicemail App that allows to:
In Italy listening Voicemail costs something at each call, so this friend of mine would like to get a free voicemail service (obliviously it doesn't work if the network is not available in that moment).

At this moment the App is 65% done and it works well on three different devices (Stock and Rooted) but me and my friend are the only two people that are using it.

Screenshots:

01_Welcome.png

02_Settings_Main.png

03_Auto_Answer_Mode.png

Here I leave a poll because I would like to know if it could interest someone else.
Please share it 😍

emandt

Jan 4, 2005
I think yes. It's not possible develope an App like this starting from Android 8 Oreo due to Google/manufacturer limitation about Audio Streams and Path ("paths" because if the Audio is used by a call it's NOT possible redirect an audio file in the same channel due to hardware limitations)

Sorry guys :(

• Sad
Reactions: oldman20

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings!

Screenshots:

01_Welcome.png

02_Settings_Main.png

03_Auto_Answer_Mode.png

emandt we are waiting for app.
    It doesn't seem someone is interested.
    The poll was viewed by 200 people but only few voters...
    LVoicemail is done at 70% at this moment but a I'm not much interested to continue in the development if poll result is something like this.
    Waste other many hours is not what I'm interested to do.
    What did you expect?
    Thousand of people that's interested in an phantom?
    I was wondering if the App could interest others.
    I already have developed few other Apps that I use for my own only, but them are a lot specific for my needs and I'm sure them don't interest others.
    LVoicemail was requested by a friend of mine and I found a lot of different people that were interested in similar things in the past (few years ago) so I create this poll to understand if people are still interested in an answering machine.

I choose to develop an App if it could be used by someone, not just to waste my time...and finishing the remaining 30% will take a lot of time because I'm a Programmer and not a Designer. In fact from now most of the time will be "wasted" in draw interfaces, choose of colors for many visual components, move/choose layouts, translations in different languages, set animation for fade in/out of visual components, draw icons, test all possible user cases to avoid bugs when the "dummy user" will touch randomly buttons without a specific pattern, etc...
    As many Programmers I could write hundred rows of code each day but if I have to draw/create an icon it takes few days for me.
    So finishing this App takes more time than develop all main features, so you can understand if I'm worried to not waste my time (I have other ideas for other Apps that I would like to start developing).
    I bet you can sell this for 5euros (or more) easily in the play store.
    Here in Italy most of companies ask user to pay for the voicemail "only when it is used". It means (for my operator) that I have to pay 1.5 Euros for the whole day even if I receive ONLY ONE voicemail. It's ok if you will receive 20 voicemails per day, but if you reaceive only one voicemail you will pay 1.5 Euro without any discount.
    However: 1.5 Euros_per_day multiplicated for 30 days means 45 Euros_per_month.

I don't understand why manufacturers doesn't pre-installed an App like this on all devices... ;)
    but each time (until now) nothing was available and I really didn't understand why
    Because output audio via an audio channel (which is opened via cellular line) it's not naturally allowed.
    The easiest way to do it is to add an audio input pin by chipset manufacturer when it is created, but....

I think manufacturers are convinced to don't do it by "someone" because this feature could let the Android phone/device to became a complex device which can call a list of thousand numbers and automatically play a pre-recorded message for advertising....maybe who don't want this behavior could be GSM operators (as voicemail provider) or someone who is selling advertising...
    Those are only my suppositions.
    Sincerely I can't imagine other reasons of why manufacturers don't add/connect this audio_pin.

Maybe the complexity of chipset_modification+software (to let the audio go through a new channel) it not enough to justify the hard work to do it.
    This new audio_pin could be used only by few developers, so it could not be so valuable...

I remember few phones that had this audio_pin enabled/connected, but I'm talking about many years ago.