[App][4.4+][No Root] Volume Scroll - paginated scrolling with your Volume Rocker!

Search This thread

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
Update: Version Alpha 1.2 is now up on Google Play Store as well as in the attachments!

mX4zCOFVD.png

Hello XDA community!

This is my newest (and smallest) App, at 75.4 KB, Volume Scroll lets you scroll through pages on almost any App using your Volume Rocker. And yes, you read the title of the thread right, it requires NO root permission.

Once activated, scroll a tiny bit of the content you want to be scrolled using Volume Rocker. Pressing either of the volume keys will make a paginated scrolling (jumps to new content, flips a page - however you may like to understand.)

This will feel very natural and immersive, especially when you want to consume a really long article on Google Chrome or an endless feed of Facebook, Instagram and many more applications.

What happens to adjusting volume? Well, a long press on either of the Volume keys will activate the default behavior (bringing volume control panel on screen.) Neat?

In addition to scrolling through Volume Rocker, there is an optional onscreen buttons as well. The onscreen buttons will appear when there is a scrollable content available on screen, and if no action is taken on the button, they fade within 2 seconds - and appear back, if you manually scroll some content.

So far, the App works on all popular chatting Apps, Social Media Apps, GMail, Google Chrome, etc. However, don't be surprised if it doesn't work on your pdfs or some 3rd party browsers - that will be due to technical limitation.

Below is a demo of the onscreen buttons, if somebody can make a short demo video of the Volume Rockers in action, it would be great! Also note that, the below demo features auto scrolling which is NOT included in this initial alpha version.

The Alpha_1 version is available at the attachments, Play Store and XDA Labs. This version of the App is Ad-free, there will be a lot of more features in future depending on how the App is received, like:

✓ Auto Scrolling pages with onscreen buttons as well as Volume Rocker
✓ Configure time gap for auto scrolling.
✓ Ability to move around onscreen buttons
✓ Configure how you want Volume Rocker to behave - Single press, long press, double press.
✓ Blacklist/Whitelist Apps on which the App should function.

Mention which feature you look forward to, in your review of the App. :)

Download now from Google Play Store!

The main purpose of this early release to the community members here is to get some feedback. So, if you try the App, please do let me know your experience, suggestions. Cheers! :)

Note: The App uses Accessibility permissions - that are an absolute requirement for the magical linking between your Volume Rocker and scrolling. If you don't feel comfortable with the permissions please do not use the App. That being said, I have a couple of other Apps developed which are downloaded and trusted by couple of 100,000+ users (point in case - Energy Bar), none of the Apps have any hidden motive.

__

Attachments

• ic_launcher.png
    ic_launcher.png
    7 KB · Views: 399
  • Volume_Scroll_Alpha_1.2.apk
    75.4 KB · Views: 3,262
Last edited:

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
What's new?

Version Alpha_1.2:

HOTFIX for screen turning off - when you use only volume keys for scrolling, the device was assumed to be idle - it's now fixed.

Last edited:

Nikanore

Mar 3, 2015
Saint Petersburg
It's a very cool idea but I really think that paginated scrolling isn't the best implementation, it would be better if I could choose to set single press to activate volume controls, but a long press would scroll a page smoothly similar to a mouse wheel. This would've been awesome, unless there is an unavoidable limitation to doing that.

Also if you could add a blacklist, for those apps you don't want this feature to work in.

Last edited:

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
Is there any way to move the on screen control to the right of the screen?

Not at the moment, but in future version, for sure!

It's a very cool idea but I really think that paginated scrolling isn't the best implementation, it would be better if I could choose to set single press to activate volume controls, but a long press would scroll a page smoothly similar to a mouse wheel. This would've been awesome, unless there is an unavoidable limitation to doing that.

Also if you could add a blacklist, for those apps you don't want this feature to work in.

Hi! A smooth scroll isn't possible due to technical limitation. Volume Rocker behavior configuration, whitelist/blacklist options will be available soon. :)

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
Alpha_1.2 is now up on Google Play Store as well as at the attachments to the first post.

Reactions: anonikat

Ragnar Eldur

Jul 22, 2016
I often have to swipe the screen up and down quite often to get the app to respond. Maybe activating the volume button scrolling option by holding down the buttons could be a better solution? Then we also don't have to always long click the buttons to change the volume or to use the Gboard key cursor control.

Last edited:

asdfffffdsa

Mar 16, 2017
Damn, I was really hoping that this would work but I've been unable to get the volume scroll or on-screen scroll to work on a Yotaphone 2 (android 5.0). The device has an epaper screen and smooth scroll is just not suited to this type of screen.

dasacom

Jul 29, 2007
Hi there, do you continue your work with this app? I have a oneplus 3 with oreo. Can not get your app to work. But I am looking for this feature. Your description sounds very good. Please continue developing :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: Version Alpha 1.2 is now up on Google Play Store as well as in the attachments!

mX4zCOFVD.png

Hello XDA community!

This is my newest (and smallest) App, at 75.4 KB, Volume Scroll lets you scroll through pages on almost any App using your Volume Rocker. And yes, you read the title of the thread right, it requires NO root permission.

Once activated, scroll a tiny bit of the content you want to be scrolled using Volume Rocker. Pressing either of the volume keys will make a paginated scrolling (jumps to new content, flips a page - however you may like to understand.)

This will feel very natural and immersive, especially when you want to consume a really long article on Google Chrome or an endless feed of Facebook, Instagram and many more applications.

What happens to adjusting volume? Well, a long press on either of the Volume keys will activate the default behavior (bringing volume control panel on screen.) Neat?

In addition to scrolling through Volume Rocker, there is an optional onscreen buttons as well. The onscreen buttons will appear when there is a scrollable content available on screen, and if no action is taken on the button, they fade within 2 seconds - and appear back, if you manually scroll some content.

So far, the App works on all popular chatting Apps, Social Media Apps, GMail, Google Chrome, etc. However, don't be surprised if it doesn't work on your pdfs or some 3rd party browsers - that will be due to technical limitation.

Below is a demo of the onscreen buttons, if somebody can make a short demo video of the Volume Rockers in action, it would be great! Also note that, the below demo features auto scrolling which is NOT included in this initial alpha version.

The Alpha_1 version is available at the attachments, Play Store and XDA Labs. This version of the App is Ad-free, there will be a lot of more features in future depending on how the App is received, like:

✓ Auto Scrolling pages with onscreen buttons as well as Volume Rocker
    ✓ Configure time gap for auto scrolling.
    ✓ Ability to move around onscreen buttons
    ✓ Configure how you want Volume Rocker to behave - Single press, long press, double press.
    ✓ Blacklist/Whitelist Apps on which the App should function.

Mention which feature you look forward to, in your review of the App. :)

Download now from Google Play Store!

The main purpose of this early release to the community members here is to get some feedback. So, if you try the App, please do let me know your experience, suggestions. Cheers! :)

Note: The App uses Accessibility permissions - that are an absolute requirement for the magical linking between your Volume Rocker and scrolling. If you don't feel comfortable with the permissions please do not use the App. That being said, I have a couple of other Apps developed which are downloaded and trusted by couple of 100,000+ users (point in case - Energy Bar), none of the Apps have any hidden motive.

__
    Alpha_1.2 is now up on Google Play Store as well as at the attachments to the first post.