[APP][4.4+] Privacy Browser

Search This thread

absolog

Mar 24, 2011
I see. Thank you, Soren.
I deleted all WebView updates via Play Store and Privacy Browser works as intended again. Once the bugs in WebView are gone I will update again. Next time I will be more careful with updates. Never change a running syxstem.

Reactions: sorenstoutner

Phantom5533

Jun 25, 2021
Actually, it looks cool. But does it keep your history? For instance, I want to buy a gift for my girlfriend (she likes history fiction) but we share one phone together. And I always delete history (which is frustrating). Sometimes my GF thinks I am hiding something from her, but I just want to buy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094NMRWPJ book for her. Just need to find work, gain money and here I am.

However, she still thinks about my possible cheating on her. So ye, would be cool to have this browser in the future. Thanks for the heads-up!

Last edited:

sorenstoutner

Mar 21, 2017
Wickenburg
www.stoutner.com
I see. Thank you, Soren.
I deleted all WebView updates via Play Store and Privacy Browser works as intended again. Once the bugs in WebView are gone I will update again. Next time I will be more careful with updates. Never change a running system.
The font size domain settings are working correctly for me now with WebView 92.0.4515.131. Can you check to see if they are also working for you?

Reactions: rjm831

Pixel Power

Aug 28, 2014
@sorenstoutner Hi, does this allow importing a bookmark backup from another browser either in html or json format? I see on your site that it says for 3.x.x not sure if thats current or if it will allow what I want?

sorenstoutner

Mar 21, 2017
Wickenburg
www.stoutner.com
I have reached the stage of development of Privacy Browser where I feel the need to centralize the number of locations where I post announcement and provide support. This is mostly to streamline the release process, as well as to collect important information in as few places as possible to make it easier for users to search for answers before posting a question.

As such, I will be discontinuing my use of this XDA forum. Those interested in following the development of Privacy Browser are encouraged to use one of the following three areas.

1. The news blog.
2. The official forums.
3. The Mastodon account.

Last edited:
Reactions: diggens

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Privacy Browser is an open source Android web browser focused on user privacy. It is released under the GPLv3+ license. The source code is available from git.stoutner.com.

The only way to prevent data from being abused is to prevent it from being collected in the first place. Privacy Browser has two primary goals.
    1. Minimize the amount of information that is sent to the internet.
    2. Minimize the amount of information that is stored on the device.

Most browsers silently give websites massive amounts of information that allows them to track you and compromise your privacy. Websites and ad networks use technologies like JavaScript, cookies, DOM storage, user agents, and many other things to uniquely identify each user and track them between visits and across the web.

In contrast, privacy sensitive features are disabled by default in Privacy Browser. If one of these technologies is required for a website to function correctly, the user may choose to turn it on for just that visit. Or, they can use domain settings to automatically turn on certain features when entering a specific website and turn them off again when leaving.

Privacy Browser currently uses Android’s built-in WebView to render web pages. As such, it works best when the latest version of WebView is installed. In the 4.x series, Privacy Browser will switch to a forked version of Android’s WebView called Privacy WebView that will allow for advanced privacy features.

Warning: Android KitKat (version 4.4.x, API 19) ships an older version of OpenSSL, which is susceptible to MITM (Man In The Middle) attacks when browsing websites that use outdated protocols and cipher suites.

Features:
    • Integrated EasyList ad blocking.
    • Tor Orbot proxy support.
    • SSL certificate pinning.
    • Import/Export of settings and bookmarks.

Further information:
    News
    Changelog and Downloads
    Roadmap
    Permissions
    Privacy Policy
    Bug Tracker
    Security and Privacy Canary
    Mastodon

The standard version is available on F-Droid, Google Play, the Amazon Appstore, and the Galaxy App Store. The free version has all the features of the standard version with the addition of a banner ad across the bottom of the screen. It is available on Google Play, the Amazon Appstore, and the Galaxy App Store.

01-Homepage5.png
    02-NavigationMenu2.png
    03-OptionsMenu4.png
    04-Tor.png
    05-DarkTheme1.png
    06-RequestDetails.png
    07-Domains.png
    Privacy Browser 3.5

Privacy Browser 3.5 has been released.

Changelog:

There is a blog post with additional information about the release.
    Privacy Browser 3.3

Privacy Browser 3.3 has been released.

Changelog:
    There is a blog post with further information.
    Privacy Browser 3.4

Privacy Browser 3.4 has been released.

Changelog:
    There is a blog post with further information.
    Privacy Browser 3.0

Privacy Browser 3.0 has been released.

Changelog:

• Add tabbed browsing.
    • Fix a bug that caused the bottom of the WebView to be cut off when scrolling the app bar was disabled.
    • Fix a bug that caused Privacy Browser to restart whenever a Bluetooth keyboard was connected/disconnected.
    • Updated German translation provided by Bernhard G. Keller.
    • Updated Italian translation provided by Francesco Buratti.
    • Updated Russian translation.
    • Updated Spanish translation provided by Jose A. León.
    • Partial Turkish translation.

There is a blog post with additional information.