[APP][4/5/6/7+] GMD GestureControl ★ root

Search This thread

Viper_21

Jul 5, 2012
One of these days I'll be upgrading from my Galaxy S3... but looks like I won't be rooting immediately (and possibly trying to avoid doing so). I'm trying to imagine life with GMD Gestures!! ? On the Play Store, there are a few gesture apps (nothing as good as GMD) that don't require root? I am just curious why exactly GMD Gestures requires root? Is it only for a subset of its functionality? Perhaps you could make a derivative app that doesn't require root?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
Those apps are not comparable, they are very rudimentary and not nearly as comfortable and reliable as GMD. Root is an absolute prerequisite for an app on the level of GMD.
Root your new phone. GMD is the best, period.

Reactions: Viper_21

vitoski

Mar 1, 2009
Poland
Those apps are not comparable, they are very rudimentary and not nearly as comfortable and reliable as GMD. Root is an absolute prerequisite for an app on the level of GMD.
Root your new phone. GMD is the best, period.
It is very good and works very good. Unfortunately it looks like the project has been abandoned as the dev is not answering in this thread neither on G+ for a long time now.

Sent from my XT1052

mani0608

Jul 2, 2011
One of these days I'll be upgrading from my Galaxy S3... but looks like I won't be rooting immediately (and possibly trying to avoid doing so). I'm trying to imagine life with GMD Gestures!! ? On the Play Store, there are a few gesture apps (nothing as good as GMD) that don't require root? I am just curious why exactly GMD Gestures requires root? Is it only for a subset of its functionality? Perhaps you could make a derivative app that doesn't require root?

If you are hesitant with rooting then don't root just for using this app. There are lot of people in this thread praising this app. I am one of the paid users of this app. There are few things that doesn't work the way you would like. You should be very careful in choosing your gestures. I have had problems with camera app and gestures. I thought a tasker support would be great. But the developer can't be seen anywhere.

Now a days this has become the habit with the developers to abandon an app as and when they want. Always citing personal reasons. And this is the reason why some people brought up "Aptoide". So think before paying. I know there are " TRUE" supporters around will come firing at me. But I just don't care.

Spl4tt

If you are hesitant with rooting then don't root just for using this app. There are lot of people in this thread praising this app. I am one of the paid users of this app. There are few things that doesn't work the way you would like. You should be very careful in choosing your gestures. I have had problems with camera app and gestures. I thought a tasker support would be great. But the developer can't be seen anywhere.

Now a days this has become the habit with the developers to abandon an app as and when they want. Always citing personal reasons. And this is the reason why some people brought up "Aptoide". So think before paying. I know there are " TRUE" supporters around will come firing at me. But I just don't care.

Life long support for just 5 bucks.. Well that would be something nice.

mani0608

Jul 2, 2011
Life long support for just 5 bucks.. Well that would be something nice.

So can you define the life time of an app? In my opinion if the developer has decided to abandon an app he should either remove it, provide description that the app is no longer supported or updated or something like that. I recently purchased the full version without any support. I have mailed about an issue to the developer without any support. Will you be able to resolve that for me on behalf of the developer you "TRUELY" support.

StupidIdea

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2011
Flashed Android N with SuperSU 2.70 beta on my Nexus 6P today. Current version of Gesture Control does not work (will not detect root).
Development version detects gestures and can execute non root actions but I still need to fix communication to root worker process.

One of these days I'll be upgrading from my Galaxy S3... but looks like I won't be rooting immediately (and possibly trying to avoid doing so). I'm trying to imagine life with GMD Gestures!! On the Play Store, there are a few gesture apps (nothing as good as GMD) that don't require root? I am just curious why exactly GMD Gestures requires root? Is it only for a subset of its functionality? Perhaps you could make a derivative app that doesn't require root?

The app requires root to detect gestures the way it does. While its possible to get touch input using border overlays its a different experience.

It is very good and works very good. Unfortunately it looks like the project has been abandoned as the dev is not answering in this thread neither on G+ for a long time now.

Sent from my XT1052
The software does not degrade over time. If it works it works. I am supporting the app and I'm releasing updates for each new Android version.

Any updates on when compatibility will return to nexus 7? Still won't let me download from play store even though I've purchased the app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This was a mistake in required features when adding flashlight action. You can still install the app and it will work if you have an apk. Otherwise I will fix it with next update.

Only thing that's missing is a backup feature. Else the app does everything wonderfully well.

I just hope that this always get's updated to newer android versions. I cannot live without it.

For now you can copy files from-to /data/data/com.goodmooddroid.gesturecontrol/shared_prefs
gestures.xml - gestures :)
folders.xml - launchpad content
GestureControl.xml - settings

Last edited:

vitoski

Mar 1, 2009
Poland
Don't get me wrong I did not say your app getting worst and worst. I use it every day and love it. Just thought you are not maintaining it any more as no new features (user suggestions) are added to the app.
Having said that there was a great feature request posted quite recently (faster processing of gesture so the touch is not sent to the foreground app) left without any comments from your side.
Again Id like to emphasize that your app works great on my device. Just that simple feature will make the app a lot better in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1052

peterxmac

Nov 25, 2013
techexplored.io
@vitoski +1 on the faster processing request. While GMD GestureControl is my main gestures app at the moment, All in one Gestures processes gestures faster from my experience.

Here's a specific example:
  • Starting location: left center 1/3
  • Gesture: swipe right
  • Action: screenshot
  • Evaluate on release: disabled
  • Show toast: disabled
  • Consume touch events: enabled

I'm currently using Nova Launcher. When I execute this gesture with All in one Gestures, my home screen page never moves and the screenshot is taken. Whereas with GMD GestureControl, the home screen page begins swiping to the right but immediately snaps back when the screenshot action is triggered.

vitoski

Mar 1, 2009
Poland
@vitoski +1 on the faster processing request. While GMD GestureControl is my main gestures app at the moment, All in one Gestures processes gestures faster from my experience.

I'm currently using Nova Launcher. When I execute this gesture with All in one Gestures, my home screen page never moves and the screenshot is taken. Whereas with GMD GestureControl, the home screen page begins swiping to the right but immediately snaps back when the screenshot action is triggered.
Confirmed. Tried All in one Gestures for a second and indeed gesture recognition is way faster - no more accidental swiping in the file Explorer while executing 'Back' command.
StupidIdea would you be able to improve this in GMD?

Sent from my XT1052

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
So I got a new phone the Huawei P9. It uses Android Marshmellow 6.0

Gesture Control works fine. But the service does not seem to stick around. When I had the phone locked for a while and unlock it I first have to open up the Gesture Control App or the gestures won't be recognized. I have the notification set to default priority.

Any ideas on how to make the service stick so the gestures are always available? Make it a system app?

[e] making it a system app kinda helped but not really, after like 5min in standby the service is completely gone...

Last edited:
Reactions: janenglund

thoiloidainhan

Jun 10, 2011
So I got a new phone the Huawei P9. It uses Android Marshmellow 6.0

Gesture Control works fine. But the service does not seem to stick around. When I had the phone locked for a while and unlock it I first have to open up the Gesture Control App or the gestures won't be recognized. I have the notification set to default priority.

Any ideas on how to make the service stick so the gestures are always available? Make it a system app?

[e] making it a system app kinda helped but not really, after like 5min in standby the service is completely gone...

U should check to see if there's any process killing app in the ROM, Chinese ROMs tend to do that. Otherwise try to capture a log while replicating the bug and report to the dev.
I had this same issue with miui, tried everything without success until I fed up with the ROM and moved on to something else

Reactions: clouds5

peterxmac

Nov 25, 2013
techexplored.io

Confirmed. Tried All in one Gestures for a second and indeed gesture recognition is way faster - no more accidental swiping in the file Explorer while executing 'Back' command.
StupidIdea would you be able to improve this in GMD?

Sent from my XT1052

@StupidIdea is this something we can expect in a future release?

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
U should check to see if there's any process killing app in the ROM, Chinese ROMs tend to do that. Otherwise try to capture a log while replicating the bug and report to the dev.
I had this same issue with miui, tried everything without success until I fed up with the ROM and moved on to something else

Got it, the culprit was a thing called "power genie".

ibCurlyFry

Oct 1, 2011
I am having the issue where the app isn't checking for root on the most recent marshmallow version for nexus 5x (MTC19T 6.0.1_r25) as well as the android N preview version.

Last edited:

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii

I understand the request to try to improve responsiveness and agree.

Just want to add though that I've found it best to select gestures that aren't going to interfere with applications in the first place. I use single finger swipes from left/right edge too but I would never use a simple swipe left/right gesture to initiate anything. Instead I record my own paths and do them at upward/downward angles so that they don't interfere with straight swipes. I even create more complicated movements that are initiated from edges to improve one handed phone use such as curves, loops etc. Very handy.

Reactions: igloohed73

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Control device with mutitouch and multitask gestures similar to iPad or iPhone X. Works in all applications. Hide status bar, hide navigation bar and enjoy full screen in all apps and games.

"For those who tend to get tired of Android's status bar, or just want more intuitive gesture-based controls on their tablet, this app is definitely worth a shot." - Android Police

Android 4.0 (ICS) - 8.1 (Oreo) supported
    REQUIRES ROOT ACCESS
    No system modifications or xposed, just a regular app.

★ This is free version - no ads
    ★ Gestures work anywhere on screen and all time - no triggers required
    ★ Multitask - start any application, shortcut or custom action without leaving current application
    ★ Swipe left or right to switch between running applications
    ★ Home and Back gestures that work in all apps anywhere on screen
    ★ Access LaunchPad from any app - dialog with recent apps, your applications, shortcuts and custom actions
    ★ Hide status bar and Navigation Bar - enjoy full screen in all apps and games
    ★ Custom gestures - create your own gestures to start any application, shortcut or custom action, unlimited possibilities, hundreds of possible gestures.
    ★ Assign different actions per app or even lock screen.
    ★ Browser actions - back, forward, refresh new tab, close tab, incognito tab, next/previous tab, bookmarks, find in page, search, history, jump to page start/end
    ★ It does not use overlays and does not make your apps and keyboard unresponsive like other gesture apps.

Check XDA forum for discussion:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1535740

All available actions:
    Applications - start assigned application, switch to previous/next running app, kill current application, start launcher shortcut(bookmark, contacts, call, sms, settings, etc), start Tasker task, LaunchPad
    Navigation - full screen (hide/show status and navigation bar), home, back, recent apps, menu, search, voice search, open notifications
    Browser actions - back, forward, refresh new tab, close tab, incognito tab, next/previous tab, bookmarks, find in page, search, history, jump to page start/end
    Buttons - home, back, menu, screen off (lock screen), Power menu, Volume
    Media and Music - Play, Pause, Stop, Volume, Mute sound
    Settings - show settings panel, toggle rotation, wifi, bluetooth
    Gestures - disable/enable gestures with gesture, exit Gesture Control

Market:
    GMD Gesture Control Lite
    If you like my application, please rate it in market. Thanks.

market_qrcode.png

Tags: Hide bar, gesture, gesture control, status bar, system bar, full screen, Honeybar, ICS, SwypePad, iPad, multitouch, multitask, multitasking
    Thanks, PhilipTD, for generous donation :highfive:
    As a sigh on gratitude I built you latest development version of Gesture Control with Lollipop support. This is the first time I'm sending someone lollipop update.
    Quite a few features do not work but still it is usable :eek:
    Please let me know if you did not receive it.

Progress update:
    I'm currently working on Spen Control lollipop support but a lot of internal thing are common. However UI part is separate and while I updated Spen Control to 'material', GC is still holo.
    I will be releasing SPen Control first with refreshed ui and lollipop support but I want to make bigger update for GC and add/rework many things that were discussed here or I just have in mind. Some things are already implemented but need to be merged into master some still need to be done. Main idea is to clean up GC so it is more intuitive to new users but more advanced features still will be available when digging deeper into settings.
    1) One good example would be path and recorded gestures. In new version I want to join them in one dialog. So user can pick from predefined set of path gestures (swipe left, swipe right, double tap, expand, pinch, etc.) or record it but entering custom path string still will be accessible. At the moment it is confusing for new users they would they want to enter path instead of recording (pinch for example).
    2) Another example is launchpad settings. Currently its confusing that you have to select which launchpad you want to configure. In new version settings will be accessible directly from launchpad instead and configure particular launchpad.
    3) Blacklist - each gesture will have option to select apps where it is active/inactive. General blacklist will be simplified where you can select if gestures are enabled/disabled in homescreen, apps, lockscreen and keyboard.
    4) Default gestures - I will remove default gestures tab and pre-create these in User Gestures for new users. Lite version will have limited number of available actions but users still can change gestures for these actions.
    5) Settings, touch consumption, Advanced tabs, Help will be moved to menu. App will be Gestures view.
    6) Touch Consumption - after user multitouch screen several times with 3 or more fingers but do not execute any gesture app will popup a tutorial explaining touch consumption with link to settings. Now quite a few new users are confused why their effort at Fruit Ninja does not give any result.
    7) Reviewing/regrouping/fixing actions - so far I was just throwing in new actions. Some didn't work on particular android versions, others didn't work on some devices. I haven't decided how it will be done but I want to clean it up. I want to add plugins support too (downloadable from play store) so some really niche things or some bigger complex thing could be moved there.
    8) Backup/Import/Export - long time promised, its time to add it.

While such things don't add much for experienced users it will improve overall 'quality' of the app.

Why cant I just release an old version with lollipop support? I don't have such version. I added lollipop support to half broken/work in progress version and I intend to move forward instead of backporting it. Its not just SeLinux/root issues that needed to be fixed. Some internal Api changed, recent apps work differently, etc, etc. It will be released when ready. Family > full time job > Android (4-20 hours per week).

Regards,
    GMD aka StupidIdea
    10.0.0-alpha

Uploaded 10.0.0-alpha to Alpha channel:
    https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.goodmooddroid.gesturecontrol

Changes:
    - Android Nougat support (requires SuperSu v2.78)
    - Minor fixes

Notes:
    Tested it on N6P (7.1.1) and N72013 (6.0.1). All actions, keyboard detections and per app settings should work. But I didn't test any older Android yet.
    Thanks hasenbein1966, for donation :highfive:

Update:
    Currently Launchpad and Blacklist are completely broken. UI is mix of material and holo. There are still some issues with recent apps. I will create alpha version G+ channel (without support) for lollipop version when I have more stable build.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone