[APP][4/5/6/7+] GMD GestureControl ★ root

Search This thread

StupidIdea

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2011
every year is the same, hoping this app work with the new version of android, this app change everything... thank dev for all you support

But it does work with Android 8 for you right?
I'm using Android 8 stable with Magisk 14 on Nexus 6P and everything works for me. I haven't tested SuperSU but I guess everyone moved to Magisk already (or they should).

Has anyone noticed that when in the system setting ( not gmd settings but system settings ), gestures from middle and lower half of the right and left borders do not work?
Gestures from the top half of either side and lower border work with no problems.

Edit : It seems that the same thing happens with all Samsung apps
I don't have Samsung phone but my guess is that its somehow related to device orientation. Maybe Samsung apps override it and GC see that device is in landscape. Is center launchpad properly centered in Samsung apps?

On nexus 6p, with abc rom oreo, the only action that works is home (back, recents apps or prev app etc..don't work)
Are you using Magisk or SuperSU?

Can someone recommend an app like GMD gesture control for non root devices such as the Samsung S8 and Note 8 that choose not to root to use samsung pay. Thanks
I don't use it so I can't "recommend" but probably the most popular one is AIO gestures

Does it drain battery?
Short answer is no because it does not wake your device when its sleeping and it only needs a little bit of cpu when you are doing some screen touch to recognise gestures. However just try free version and see how it works for you.

Yes u are right. Its weird that the exit function doesn't kill the service completely.
Suspend action seems to be your best bet then. I wouldn't worry too much about the service being in the background tho, it barely drains any battery in my experience and I use it all the time
'Exit' was working when I added it but I see its broken now.

Long time user: tks a lot! I couldn't use a smartphone without that (I'll die if rooting a phone become impossible).

Suggestion /comments : using launchpad could be the fastest multitasker tool BUT there was always a delay to load the icon image if you put too much of them... Faster phone does help (just went from lgg3 to pixel) but there's still a noticeable delay with 16 icon in a launchpad... (with lgg3 i would stop at 8).

Is there any ways you could preload/keep in memory the launchpad icon/layout to avoid delays.... In the era of a lot of ram.. (4gb and more seems standard now). Just a tought out of my user-non-programmer head.

(another comment: setting up the launchpad is a little bit confusing.. Maybe I'm retarded tho.)

Again, my #1 must have app!!

I agree its too complicated. I will tune complexity down someday.

Last edited:

Tex99

Sep 13, 2012
Are you using Magisk or SuperSU?

Thank you for answer, I m using supersu, but I read that you have 6p with magisk and there aren t problem, so I will switch on it [emoji106]

Edit: now I m on magisk 14 but I have the same problem, home gesture is working but back and recent up not (Nexus 6p with ABC rom 8.0)

Last edited:
Reactions: [email protected]

Chambm

Nov 9, 2017
On nexus 6p, with abc rom oreo, the only action that works is home (back, recents apps or prev app etc..don't work)

I have the same problem. Only home and full screen gestures work. I'm on pixel 2 xl, rooted with magisk. I really want the back gesture to complement the full screen mode (which I had already done manually but the gesture to toggle it is awesome!) I'll buy if I can get back gesture working.

ithehappy

May 5, 2008
Calcutta
This app doesn't work any more on Oreo 8.0, running on a Pixel XL 2016. I setup the back, home and recents, and none of them worked, only Back would throw a pop up saying Back but nothing would actually happen. Also the app would throw black screen a lot of times, along with the SuperSU has been granted permission message popping up like every 15 mins. I am rooted with Magisk 14.3.

Just wanted to report this. A paid user of the app, was.

StupidIdea

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2011
I have the same problem. Only home and full screen gestures work. I'm on pixel 2 xl, rooted with magisk. I really want the back gesture to complement the full screen mode (which I had already done manually but the gesture to toggle it is awesome!) I'll buy if I can get back gesture working.

This app doesn't work any more on Oreo 8.0, running on a Pixel XL 2016. I setup the back, home and recents, and none of them worked, only Back would throw a pop up saying Back but nothing would actually happen. Also the app would throw black screen a lot of times, along with the SuperSU has been granted permission message popping up like every 15 mins. I am rooted with Magisk 14.3.

Same story but rooted with SuperSu. Paid app, 2016 Pixel XL. Only back works.

Just wanted to report this. A paid user of the app, was.

I found the issue and the fix will be ready next week.

_kevn_

Feb 4, 2012
TL;DR you've already figured it out so I guess this is not necessary but...

on pixel 2 XL rooted with magisk 14.4 installing paid app from play store several times trying to get it work.

with limited success only really getting expanded full screen mode to be one that actually worked for me. Other gestures would register and show the toast but not actually perform it's intended action. I would also get black screen after opening the app again from time to time. Sometimes the full screen gesture that did work would stop until reboot as well... Good news though...

I finally got my backups from nougat 7.1.1 on Note 4 over to the pixel 2 XL and restored all my gestures on a fresh install of gesture control from play store. Rebooted and everything works! after redoing recents gestures action in the gesture it works as intended... to early to tell if it'll stop responding after a while but so far so good!...

This is hands down THE best app I've purchased... I would be willing to purchase again or if you have PayPal, donate... Thank you Sir for an app that makes Android soooo much more usable!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: PhilipTD

gregferns

Sep 19, 2009
Mumbai

I found the issue and the fix will be ready next week.
On my op3 running Ob27 (android 8.0) it works some Gestures.... But needs more info. And testing...

PhilipTD

...I finally got my backups from nougat 7.1.1 on Note 4 over to the pixel 2 XL and restored all my gestures...
Please forgive the brief OT, just curious about your process for backing up and restoring accross devices, as I've had some issues in the past.

...Rebooted and everything works!...
May I please ask you for a list of gestures that are working?

...after redoing recents gestures action in the gesture it works as intended...
Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but what do you mean when you say "redoing recents gestures action in the gesture"?

...too early to tell if it'll stop responding after a while but so far so good!...
Is everything still working?

...if you have PayPal, donate...
StupidIdea has a donate button with PayPal next to his posts which I use regularly and generously, and I encourage all users who appreciate his work to do the same. I have been using the app for years and find it indispensible, to the point that I won't update my device or the OS until root has been obtained and GMD works. The dev always is quick to update the app, and, all these years, has been very responsive to support requests. I think it's the right thing to do and important to support the best devs on xda.

Reactions: tiho5

fedex_742

Oct 27, 2016
hi dev ... i am in oreo oneplus 5 with the last magisk beta...
everythings is bug in your app :D
but i found a way to make it work, i use a copy that i had in the TWRP from nougat, everything works perfect.
just that when i try to add a new gesture, works, but take 4 seg to open after the gesture, so i have to plan my gestures in advance :D , just kidding! i am going to live with this for now, I wait patiently for the update ... thank you very much for so many years of support.

coolvabs

Aug 23, 2010
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 6T
No I use xposed GravityBox module to map long press button to in-app search but neither app supports paste shortcut in any way.

-Sent from Nexus 5
I don't know whether you are still looking for paste functionality. For you and all others who are looking for a paste functionality, I would recommend an app called swipe navigation which has that functionality. It also has several other functions like moving cursor to home and end, along with cut copy and paste.

I think you can use that app in conjunction with GMD to have this missing functionality. Having said that I don't mean to take away anything from this great app called GMD gestures, just wanted to point to another app that has some missing functions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have searched google play and coolapk to find an alternative gesture app for my new android 11 phone. No one has GMD's passthrough feature because of their non-root overlay implementation. With passthrough feature, I can use app's native border swipe and GMD's oblique/up/down border swipe at the same time. I usually bind oblique swip to back function.

Also, I don't need to leave finger from screen to make the next gesture, because the gesture starting point can be anywhere, instead of the overlay.

I am very happy to hear that GMD is still working on android 11. I will try GMD on my redmi k40 after I can root it.
    Control device with mutitouch and multitask gestures similar to iPad or iPhone X. Works in all applications. Hide status bar, hide navigation bar and enjoy full screen in all apps and games.

"For those who tend to get tired of Android's status bar, or just want more intuitive gesture-based controls on their tablet, this app is definitely worth a shot." - Android Police

Android 4.0 (ICS) - 8.1 (Oreo) supported
    REQUIRES ROOT ACCESS
    No system modifications or xposed, just a regular app.

★ This is free version - no ads
    ★ Gestures work anywhere on screen and all time - no triggers required
    ★ Multitask - start any application, shortcut or custom action without leaving current application
    ★ Swipe left or right to switch between running applications
    ★ Home and Back gestures that work in all apps anywhere on screen
    ★ Access LaunchPad from any app - dialog with recent apps, your applications, shortcuts and custom actions
    ★ Hide status bar and Navigation Bar - enjoy full screen in all apps and games
    ★ Custom gestures - create your own gestures to start any application, shortcut or custom action, unlimited possibilities, hundreds of possible gestures.
    ★ Assign different actions per app or even lock screen.
    ★ Browser actions - back, forward, refresh new tab, close tab, incognito tab, next/previous tab, bookmarks, find in page, search, history, jump to page start/end
    ★ It does not use overlays and does not make your apps and keyboard unresponsive like other gesture apps.

Check XDA forum for discussion:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1535740

All available actions:
    Applications - start assigned application, switch to previous/next running app, kill current application, start launcher shortcut(bookmark, contacts, call, sms, settings, etc), start Tasker task, LaunchPad
    Navigation - full screen (hide/show status and navigation bar), home, back, recent apps, menu, search, voice search, open notifications
    Browser actions - back, forward, refresh new tab, close tab, incognito tab, next/previous tab, bookmarks, find in page, search, history, jump to page start/end
    Buttons - home, back, menu, screen off (lock screen), Power menu, Volume
    Media and Music - Play, Pause, Stop, Volume, Mute sound
    Settings - show settings panel, toggle rotation, wifi, bluetooth
    Gestures - disable/enable gestures with gesture, exit Gesture Control

Market:
    GMD Gesture Control Lite
    If you like my application, please rate it in market. Thanks.

market_qrcode.png

Tags: Hide bar, gesture, gesture control, status bar, system bar, full screen, Honeybar, ICS, SwypePad, iPad, multitouch, multitask, multitasking
    Thanks, PhilipTD, for generous donation :highfive:
    As a sigh on gratitude I built you latest development version of Gesture Control with Lollipop support. This is the first time I'm sending someone lollipop update.
    Quite a few features do not work but still it is usable :eek:
    Please let me know if you did not receive it.

Progress update:
    I'm currently working on Spen Control lollipop support but a lot of internal thing are common. However UI part is separate and while I updated Spen Control to 'material', GC is still holo.
    I will be releasing SPen Control first with refreshed ui and lollipop support but I want to make bigger update for GC and add/rework many things that were discussed here or I just have in mind. Some things are already implemented but need to be merged into master some still need to be done. Main idea is to clean up GC so it is more intuitive to new users but more advanced features still will be available when digging deeper into settings.
    1) One good example would be path and recorded gestures. In new version I want to join them in one dialog. So user can pick from predefined set of path gestures (swipe left, swipe right, double tap, expand, pinch, etc.) or record it but entering custom path string still will be accessible. At the moment it is confusing for new users they would they want to enter path instead of recording (pinch for example).
    2) Another example is launchpad settings. Currently its confusing that you have to select which launchpad you want to configure. In new version settings will be accessible directly from launchpad instead and configure particular launchpad.
    3) Blacklist - each gesture will have option to select apps where it is active/inactive. General blacklist will be simplified where you can select if gestures are enabled/disabled in homescreen, apps, lockscreen and keyboard.
    4) Default gestures - I will remove default gestures tab and pre-create these in User Gestures for new users. Lite version will have limited number of available actions but users still can change gestures for these actions.
    5) Settings, touch consumption, Advanced tabs, Help will be moved to menu. App will be Gestures view.
    6) Touch Consumption - after user multitouch screen several times with 3 or more fingers but do not execute any gesture app will popup a tutorial explaining touch consumption with link to settings. Now quite a few new users are confused why their effort at Fruit Ninja does not give any result.
    7) Reviewing/regrouping/fixing actions - so far I was just throwing in new actions. Some didn't work on particular android versions, others didn't work on some devices. I haven't decided how it will be done but I want to clean it up. I want to add plugins support too (downloadable from play store) so some really niche things or some bigger complex thing could be moved there.
    8) Backup/Import/Export - long time promised, its time to add it.

While such things don't add much for experienced users it will improve overall 'quality' of the app.

Why cant I just release an old version with lollipop support? I don't have such version. I added lollipop support to half broken/work in progress version and I intend to move forward instead of backporting it. Its not just SeLinux/root issues that needed to be fixed. Some internal Api changed, recent apps work differently, etc, etc. It will be released when ready. Family > full time job > Android (4-20 hours per week).

Regards,
    GMD aka StupidIdea
    10.0.0-alpha

Uploaded 10.0.0-alpha to Alpha channel:
    https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.goodmooddroid.gesturecontrol

Changes:
    - Android Nougat support (requires SuperSu v2.78)
    - Minor fixes

Notes:
    Tested it on N6P (7.1.1) and N72013 (6.0.1). All actions, keyboard detections and per app settings should work. But I didn't test any older Android yet.
    Thanks hasenbein1966, for donation :highfive:

Update:
    Currently Launchpad and Blacklist are completely broken. UI is mix of material and holo. There are still some issues with recent apps. I will create alpha version G+ channel (without support) for lollipop version when I have more stable build.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone