[APP][4/5/6/7+] GMD GestureControl ★ root

Search This thread

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
All good on the new phone (except alt+tab)

Thank you. Yeah, Alt+Tab stopped working some time ago. Back on Android 9, I think. I use One Hand Operation for it ever since.

But the first ever real Alt+Tab was offered by GMD. That's why I started using GMD all these years ago, that's why this app was so ahead of its time and still the best at what it does.

parano666

Mar 22, 2011
Hey guys, found a workaround for app function (back, recent, alt tab) (don't know why I didn't think of this before) --> use tasker which whom you can create task for app control. Then use gmd gesture, shortcut, tasker to pick the task. I now have alt tab and recent drawer shortcut back as I like!

Up for those that have missed that post.

Still working great on android 11 on oneplus pro 7 (except the occasionnal "not working anymore" that requires a restart of gmd, for which I have put a shorcut on my home screen of a tasker task that force close it and start it 2 sec later.)

Still no news from the developer..!

Reactions: tiho5 and PhilipTD

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
He probably lost his interest in maintaining this app or is dead 😏 (no wish ofc)

I hope he is OK.
I am sure, like I've said here before, that he is using GMD all the time. Because he likes it as much as we do and can't have a device without it. I am indeed sure about this.

That being said, I still have high hopes that he will drop a word here one day! May be even something more...

@StupidIdea, come on, mate! Don't let us down.

Lord Sithek

I hope he is OK.
I am sure, like I've said here before, that he is using GMD all the time. Because he likes it as much as we do and can't have a device without it. I am indeed sure about this.

That being said, I still have high hopes that he will drop a word here one day! May be even something more...

@StupidIdea, come on, mate! Don't let us down.
Last seen on 12th May 2019 😒

StupidIdea

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2011
Hi,

I saw no point in maintaining the app when stock Android removed navigation bar and added gestures. Add rooting struggles and you get the picture. I felt over-burned from fighting new Android restrictions in every release. I removed XDA and my dev mail account from my phone and moved on. I abandoned my dream to make a living as indie dev. On the other hand I'm doing great as a java dev in a big company. I'm ok.

As you have noticed I removed all my apps from Play Store a couple months later too. It only took this long because I literally had to fix all "required" promotion materials before it allowed me to remove the apps.

Play store still shows ~600 installs of full version and ~800 installs of free version.

Please do not collect bounty. I cannot promise anything. My Pixel 2 is not rooted and I haven't used Android SDK for years. I want to fix small/simple bugs so you can use the app as long as it work but I need to review the situation first.

Wow I'm surprised you guys are still using it with Android 11.

coolvabs

Aug 23, 2010
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 6T
Hi,

I saw no point in maintaining the app when stock Android removed navigation bar and added gestures. Add rooting struggles and you get the picture. I felt over-burned from fighting new Android restrictions in every release. I removed XDA and my dev mail account from my phone and moved on. I abandoned my dream to make a living as indie dev. On the other hand I'm doing great as a java dev in a big company. I'm ok.

As you have noticed I removed all my apps from Play Store a couple months later too. It only took this long because I literally had to fix all "required" promotion materials before it allowed me to remove the apps.

Play store still shows ~600 installs of full version and ~800 installs of free version.

Please do not collect bounty. I cannot promise anything. My Pixel 2 is not rooted and I haven't used Android SDK for years. I want to fix small/simple bugs so you can use the app as long as it work but I need to review the situation first.

So nice to have heard from you. I've been using the app for about last 10 years and still works like a charm (except for a few minor things) on Android 10.

You are right about Android introducing restrictions and removing navigation bar but at least on my oneplus phone GMD gesture control supersedes the navigation bar and side bars. I must have added 30 to 40 gestures and have gotten so used to them that I cannot go back to using phone without the app (although my friends and family have a hard time using my phone because of random gestures triggering 😀.)

Hope to see you back in action 🤞 all the best for your job ☺👍

Lord Sithek

Hi,

Very nice you showed up after such a long time! Honestly, I belive (and I think many other users will agree) there is no any other app such excellent as yours, and there is no way that Android gestures can compete with it. I'm glad that most of its features still work on newer Android's and I don't regret any penny spent on it :D

Yes, Google is more and more annoying with those restrictions... But it's nice that devs still find a ways to help us customize our devices!

Would love to see compatibility improvements, but of course I understand your points. Anyway, thank you very much for this maginificent app, and wish you all the best.

coolvabs

Aug 23, 2010
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 6T
Very nice you showed up after such a long time! Honestly, I belive (and I think many other users will agree) there is no any other app such excellent as yours, and there is no way that Android gestures can compete with it. I'm glad that most of its features still work on newer Android's and I don't regret any penny spent on it :D

Yes, Google is more and more annoying with those restrictions... But it's nice that devs still find a ways to help us customize our devices!

Would love to see compatibility improvements, but of course I understand your points. Anyway, thank you very much for this maginificent app, and wish you all the best.
I completely agree that there's no comparable app which has so many features (for example ability to create custom gestures is just so mind blowing) and works so smoothly. I tried recently gesture control Pro and fng pro but eventually came back to this.

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
Hi,

Hi,

Extremely happy to see you here!

Of course we use your app! And it's still ahead of everything else!

Post the app on the PlayStore, wait a bit and see the reviews and the ratings!

Making money providing a unique and genius product like GMD would be great and totally deserved!

But on the other hand, satisfaction and respect also bring much.

I will never stop rooting my phone. And GMD is always one of the first reasons for me to do so.

The situation is similar with a number of other apps. But devs keep supporting them. For example Skvalex and his Call Recorder. And people still use these apps. People who know. The truth is GMD is for power users who are informed.

You have our respect and GMD is extremely valued. Put an annual subscription price in the PlayStore and I will buy it every year.

I hope you stay. Do it like a hobby, mate. Give this 2% of your time and you will be the star of a few thousand grateful people. Who's number will hopefully even increase.

Best of luck and success in your career. Sounds like you are indeed content at this point in your life, so I hope you can consider giving yourself an additional "side-hobby-reward" of our gratitude, if you decide to continue to make a bunch of people happy.

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
Not that it means much, but here's a short correspondence with Android Police and me from yesterday. I wrote them:

"
Message Body:
Hi

I can see there was an article about this app called GMD gesture control here: https://www.androidpolice.com/2012/...-6-apps-42-49/#gmd-gesturecontrol-lite-★-root

Such apps are now almost killed by Android and it's restrictions especially the the process of root getting harder and harder.

I would be happy if you write an article reminding of such unique ingenious apps which life was almost destroyed and thus the evolution of Android has been crippled.

Regards,
"

They replied later the same day:
"
That's a great idea, thank you! We're looking into this and will see what we come up with.
"

There was also a conversation about GMD here @samsung_twrp_root. A place for rooting and TWRP discussion which is very active. Many useful apps are discussed there by people who are knowledgeable. Here is what Ian Macdonald said there:

"
I can also heartily recommend GMD Gesture Control. I didn't know that it had been removed from the Play Store, though. What a shame. The Play Store declines in usefulness almost daily now.

I use Vivid Gestures for most of my navigation these days. AOSP/Samsung gestures are pretty poor, so I do need to augment that functionality.

GMD was revolutionary in its day, coming long before most people even knew what gestures were. Even today, it is still the most configurable of all the gestures apps.
"

Again, I know it doesn't mean much, but the fact is that there is still a big community and Android enthusiasts, who highly respect such apps and ingenuis work.

Sorry for the long post. But especially now that the man amazingly showed up after such a long time, I admit I selfishly want to push @StupidIdea towards coming back to the game and continue the prominent name of GMD.

Spl4tt

Hi,

I only just now saw your post! Good to see that you're ok.
Yes, your gesture app is the absolute best still, even with some quirks like the launchpad and alt-tab crashing. But other than that, it works great, even on Android 11. No other app gives the freedom that your gesture app gives and it's hard to imagine using a phone without it tbh.

Last edited:

Valiante

Jul 7, 2013
I want to fix small/simple bugs so you can use the app as long as it work but I need to review the situation first.

If you decide to completely abandon the project, please open source it so someone can carry on the legacy. As you can see from the number of people still using it, it is an integral part of how we use our phones, it's like taking away the power button when I don't have GMD Gestures.

Please consider this option.

coolvabs

Aug 23, 2010
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 6T
If you decide to completely abandon the project, please open source it so someone can carry on the legacy. As you can see from the number of people still using it, it is an integral part of how we use our phones, it's like taking away the power button when I don't have GMD Gestures.

Please consider this option.

Quite a lot of praise but the app deserves it, totally agree with you. 😊👍

Spl4tt

I must add, especially now, in the times of extremely big phones, the standard android gestures just aren't enough. I don't want to drop my phone because I needed to put my thumb on the bottom edge to go home or switch tasks. It's stupid. At least the back gesture makes sense.

GMDs approach just makes sense. Full freedom and all possibillities

coolvabs

Aug 23, 2010
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 6T
I'm being selfish but please come back @StupidIdea 🙏 And if you can implement swipe and hold gestures it will be really useful. Right now it's the only thing that's missing and is present and other apps.

Hope you need to our pleas and are able to devote some time. Always wishing you the best in your life!

Reactions: viva-yo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have searched google play and coolapk to find an alternative gesture app for my new android 11 phone. No one has GMD's passthrough feature because of their non-root overlay implementation. With passthrough feature, I can use app's native border swipe and GMD's oblique/up/down border swipe at the same time. I usually bind oblique swip to back function.

Also, I don't need to leave finger from screen to make the next gesture, because the gesture starting point can be anywhere, instead of the overlay.

I am very happy to hear that GMD is still working on android 11. I will try GMD on my redmi k40 after I can root it.
    Control device with mutitouch and multitask gestures similar to iPad or iPhone X. Works in all applications. Hide status bar, hide navigation bar and enjoy full screen in all apps and games.

"For those who tend to get tired of Android's status bar, or just want more intuitive gesture-based controls on their tablet, this app is definitely worth a shot." - Android Police

Android 4.0 (ICS) - 8.1 (Oreo) supported
    REQUIRES ROOT ACCESS
    No system modifications or xposed, just a regular app.

★ This is free version - no ads
    ★ Gestures work anywhere on screen and all time - no triggers required
    ★ Multitask - start any application, shortcut or custom action without leaving current application
    ★ Swipe left or right to switch between running applications
    ★ Home and Back gestures that work in all apps anywhere on screen
    ★ Access LaunchPad from any app - dialog with recent apps, your applications, shortcuts and custom actions
    ★ Hide status bar and Navigation Bar - enjoy full screen in all apps and games
    ★ Custom gestures - create your own gestures to start any application, shortcut or custom action, unlimited possibilities, hundreds of possible gestures.
    ★ Assign different actions per app or even lock screen.
    ★ Browser actions - back, forward, refresh new tab, close tab, incognito tab, next/previous tab, bookmarks, find in page, search, history, jump to page start/end
    ★ It does not use overlays and does not make your apps and keyboard unresponsive like other gesture apps.

Check XDA forum for discussion:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1535740

All available actions:
    Applications - start assigned application, switch to previous/next running app, kill current application, start launcher shortcut(bookmark, contacts, call, sms, settings, etc), start Tasker task, LaunchPad
    Navigation - full screen (hide/show status and navigation bar), home, back, recent apps, menu, search, voice search, open notifications
    Browser actions - back, forward, refresh new tab, close tab, incognito tab, next/previous tab, bookmarks, find in page, search, history, jump to page start/end
    Buttons - home, back, menu, screen off (lock screen), Power menu, Volume
    Media and Music - Play, Pause, Stop, Volume, Mute sound
    Settings - show settings panel, toggle rotation, wifi, bluetooth
    Gestures - disable/enable gestures with gesture, exit Gesture Control

Market:
    GMD Gesture Control Lite
    If you like my application, please rate it in market. Thanks.

market_qrcode.png

Tags: Hide bar, gesture, gesture control, status bar, system bar, full screen, Honeybar, ICS, SwypePad, iPad, multitouch, multitask, multitasking
    Thanks, PhilipTD, for generous donation :highfive:
    As a sigh on gratitude I built you latest development version of Gesture Control with Lollipop support. This is the first time I'm sending someone lollipop update.
    Quite a few features do not work but still it is usable :eek:
    Please let me know if you did not receive it.

Progress update:
    I'm currently working on Spen Control lollipop support but a lot of internal thing are common. However UI part is separate and while I updated Spen Control to 'material', GC is still holo.
    I will be releasing SPen Control first with refreshed ui and lollipop support but I want to make bigger update for GC and add/rework many things that were discussed here or I just have in mind. Some things are already implemented but need to be merged into master some still need to be done. Main idea is to clean up GC so it is more intuitive to new users but more advanced features still will be available when digging deeper into settings.
    1) One good example would be path and recorded gestures. In new version I want to join them in one dialog. So user can pick from predefined set of path gestures (swipe left, swipe right, double tap, expand, pinch, etc.) or record it but entering custom path string still will be accessible. At the moment it is confusing for new users they would they want to enter path instead of recording (pinch for example).
    2) Another example is launchpad settings. Currently its confusing that you have to select which launchpad you want to configure. In new version settings will be accessible directly from launchpad instead and configure particular launchpad.
    3) Blacklist - each gesture will have option to select apps where it is active/inactive. General blacklist will be simplified where you can select if gestures are enabled/disabled in homescreen, apps, lockscreen and keyboard.
    4) Default gestures - I will remove default gestures tab and pre-create these in User Gestures for new users. Lite version will have limited number of available actions but users still can change gestures for these actions.
    5) Settings, touch consumption, Advanced tabs, Help will be moved to menu. App will be Gestures view.
    6) Touch Consumption - after user multitouch screen several times with 3 or more fingers but do not execute any gesture app will popup a tutorial explaining touch consumption with link to settings. Now quite a few new users are confused why their effort at Fruit Ninja does not give any result.
    7) Reviewing/regrouping/fixing actions - so far I was just throwing in new actions. Some didn't work on particular android versions, others didn't work on some devices. I haven't decided how it will be done but I want to clean it up. I want to add plugins support too (downloadable from play store) so some really niche things or some bigger complex thing could be moved there.
    8) Backup/Import/Export - long time promised, its time to add it.

While such things don't add much for experienced users it will improve overall 'quality' of the app.

Why cant I just release an old version with lollipop support? I don't have such version. I added lollipop support to half broken/work in progress version and I intend to move forward instead of backporting it. Its not just SeLinux/root issues that needed to be fixed. Some internal Api changed, recent apps work differently, etc, etc. It will be released when ready. Family > full time job > Android (4-20 hours per week).

Regards,
    GMD aka StupidIdea
    10.0.0-alpha

Uploaded 10.0.0-alpha to Alpha channel:
    https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.goodmooddroid.gesturecontrol

Changes:
    - Android Nougat support (requires SuperSu v2.78)
    - Minor fixes

Notes:
    Tested it on N6P (7.1.1) and N72013 (6.0.1). All actions, keyboard detections and per app settings should work. But I didn't test any older Android yet.
    Thanks hasenbein1966, for donation :highfive:

Update:
    Currently Launchpad and Blacklist are completely broken. UI is mix of material and holo. There are still some issues with recent apps. I will create alpha version G+ channel (without support) for lollipop version when I have more stable build.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone