• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP] 4G Toggle Widget v1.2 (6/18) - w/Sense disabled + SOURCE

Search This thread

B3RL1N

Sep 26, 2009
Las Vegas
tyler.berlin
So...for fun, I decided to edit the images in the 4G Toggle apk from this thread and replace them with the stock images for the 4G Toggle. It's not perfect, but here's the result:

Toggle On:
snap20100616_170242-1.png

Did this because I thought it would be fun to have the sense 4G toggle on vanilla Android, mix things up a bit. Thanks for making this possible rdude!

Lol, Blapk. <3

Nice work. I'm guessing it was as easy as rDude stated? I'll check it out later.

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
So...for fun, I decided to edit the images in the 4G Toggle apk from this thread and replace them with the stock images for the 4G Toggle. It's not perfect, but here's the result:

--snip--

Did this because I thought it would be fun to have the sense 4G toggle on vanilla Android, mix things up a bit. Thanks for making this possible rdude!

Great thinking, that's awesome! Totally looks a lot better than what I did, thanks to both you and HTC ;-) I'll try doing the same tonight and package & upload the APK.

By the way, mind asking where you got that expanded Power Control widget? I was originally thinking that was the way I'd like to go with the 4G toggle, but did the simple widget first just so I could get something to use with a non-Sense ROM.

jabbawalkee

Dec 22, 2008
Chevy Chase, MD
twitter.com
Great thinking, that's awesome! Totally looks a lot better than what I did, thanks to both you and HTC ;-) I'll try doing the same tonight and package & upload the APK.

By the way, mind asking where you got that expanded Power Control widget? I was originally thinking that was the way I'd like to go with the 4G toggle, but did the simple widget first just so I could get something to use with a non-Sense ROM.

Thanks man. Mainly thank HTC though because they created it and I simply did a little Photoshop and packaged it up :)

It'd be awesome if you could include the 4G toggle into that expanded widget. I'm using SwitchPro widget (it's amazing, can add up to 7 toggles there). Another good one is: Extended Controls (paid app).

B3RL1N

Sep 26, 2009
Las Vegas
tyler.berlin
Thanks man. Mainly thank HTC though because they created it and I simply did a little Photoshop and packaged it up :)

It'd be awesome if you could include the 4G toggle into that expanded widget. I'm using SwitchPro widget (it's amazing, can add up to 7 toggles there). Another good one is: Extended Controls (paid app).

Did you really just edit the png files and run the new apk?

While I'm able to insert the new files I cannot install the apk properly. I get "Application Not Installed". (And yes I do have install Unknown Sources selected in settings, although I'm not root) In other words, I think I've gotta resign the apk.

This isn't a help forum, so I'm not going to really ask for any. But if you could just answer a yes or no to the signing jabbawalkee, that'd be great.

Thanks guys.
Worst case scenario, I'll just post the icons.

jabbawalkee

Dec 22, 2008
Chevy Chase, MD
twitter.com
Did you really just edit the png files and run the new apk?

While I'm able to insert the new files I cannot install the apk properly. I get "Application Not Installed". (And yes I do have install Unknown Sources selected in settings, although I'm not root) In other words, I think I've gotta resign the apk.

This isn't a help forum, so I'm not going to really ask for any. But if you could just answer a yes or no to the signing jabbawalkee, that'd be great.

Thanks guys.
Worst case scenario, I'll just post the icons.

I think you have to sign the apk with a signing tool but I'm not sure. I signed it just to be safe

SOHKis

Apr 29, 2008
VA
thanks for the widget! been waiting for this since flashing avalaunch's 2.2, however this seems to crash when run on froyo [process com.rrsllc.toggle4g].

not sure how difficult or complicated of a fix that would be, but i'm sure many would appreciate it.

Last edited:

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
Re: [APP] 4G Toggle Widget v1.1 - w/Sense disabled

thanks for the widget! been waiting for this since flashing avalaunch's 2.2, however this seems to crash when run on froyo [process com.rrsllc.toggle4g].

not sure how difficult or complicated of a fix that would be, but i'm sure many would appreciate it.

I was running Avalaunch's Froyo for a while and originally decided to write this widget for it. After some poking around though I found that the 4G radio is just not being detected by the OS in that build, so there is nothing for the widget to toggle.

SOHKis

Apr 29, 2008
VA
I was running Avalaunch's Froyo for a while and originally decided to write this widget for it. After some poking around though I found that the 4G radio is just not being detected by the OS in that build, so there is nothing for the widget to toggle.

i was hoping that wasn't going to be the case, ahwell.. thanks for the quick response!

blueblur

Jun 14, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Skinning the toggle widget would actually be very easy :) all you do is rename the end of the APK to ZIP, extract, then navigate to /Toggle4GWidget/res/drawable-hdpi and there are the images you'd need to edit :)

:eek:

rock on! I had no idea you could do this... gonna borrow your idea to mod my widget as well.. thanks to OP for the APK and thank YOU for your advice!

jabbawalkee

Dec 22, 2008
Chevy Chase, MD
twitter.com
:eek:

rock on! I had no idea you could do this... gonna borrow your idea to mod my widget as well.. thanks to OP for the APK and thank YOU for your advice!

Yes yes and I forgot to mention signing it with a signing tool. Lol, the small details I forget. That isn't difficult once you download a signing tool. I could probably dig around for the one-click signing tool I'm using on my computer if you need it...let me know

stroths

Dec 1, 2006
Thanks for the instructions on switching the images out. I pulled the default HTC ones out of one of their APKs and did some photoshopping. I have attached my files here in case anyone wants to use them.

Couldn't get mine to work until I signed it. Worked great after that.

EDIT: I included a zip of the unmodified HTC 4g widget icons in case anyone wants them. They are exactly as they were when I pulled them from their APK.

Attachments

• disabled.png
    disabled.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 238
  • enabled.png
    enabled.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 235
  • intermediate.png
    intermediate.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 233
  • icon.png
    icon.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 234
  • HTC_Unmodified_4G_icons.zip
    15.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

scirio

Nov 8, 2007
Apologies but how the **** do I install this.

I'm not a noob by any means but can't do it...

It's a zip, Astro just unzips it
Renamed to .apk, uninstallable
Is it an update.zip install? I don't think so but I'm not root yet so I can't try that.
Why not just upload an apk, ugh

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
Apologies but how the **** do I install this.

I'm not a noob by any means but can't do it...

It's a zip, Astro just unzips it
Renamed to .apk, uninstallable
Is it an update.zip install? I don't think so but I'm not root yet so I can't try that.
Why not just upload an apk, ugh

It's an APK inside of a ZIP. I did try uploading just an APK at first but the forum is serving it up with the wrong Content-Type header so it wasn't installing for some people. Maybe I'll just upload both from now on.

jabbawalkee

Dec 22, 2008
Chevy Chase, MD
twitter.com
It's an APK inside of a ZIP. I did try uploading just an APK at first but the forum is serving it up with the wrong Content-Type header so it wasn't installing for some people. Maybe I'll just upload both from now on.

Haha I'd recommend to just keeping it simple...only upload the APK. Seriously, if people can't figure out how to install an APK by navigating via Astro, then they shouldn't have a phone like this. It's too easy to do, difficult to screw up :)