• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we migrated and software and made it more secure. We recommend trying to reset your password.

[APP][5.0+][Alpha] AA Passenger - Stream audio, control nav, show pics

martoreto

Oct 24, 2017
AA Passenger

https://github.com/martoreto/aapassenger

What's this

With this app you can have two phones: one is the driver's phone, running Android Auto as usual.
Then you can have another one, e.g. handled by passenger. Passenger can then do 3 things:
  • play any music via car speakers (for now this requires root on passenger's device)
  • find some destination in Google Maps or another maps app and send it to Android Auto to navigate there
  • display pictures on the Android Auto screen (e.g. display how the hotel you're driving to looks like)

What's new

• 1.9-alpha9
    • AA Passenger: fixed Oreo crash
    • AA Passenger: fixed casting volume
  • 1.9-alpha8
    • audio streaming, without root! (experimental)
    • audio streaming, without passenger app! (experimental)
    • works also with Hotspot active on the driver's device
    • AA Passenger now also available from Play Store
    • driver's app renamed to AA 2nd Seat
    • now compatible with Android 5.0 Lollipop
    • many bugs squashed
    • support for an NFC tag which launches or installs AA Passenger app
    • note that both driver's and passenger's apps must be updated to work together

Installation

https://github.com/martoreto/aapassenger/blob/master/README.md#installation

Screenshots

Last edited:

sosimple

Sep 8, 2008
Ioannina
Can you describe some more what exactly you can do with this and how?
Can we install this android auto sdk somehow and use this?
Is it possible to have android navigation eg navigon running to a smartphone to display in android auto screen?
Thanks,

Sent from my SM-T700 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

martoreto

Oct 24, 2017
Can you describe some more what exactly you can do with this and how?
You mean this app or SDK? I assume app.

With this app you can have two phones: one is the driver's phone, running Android Auto as usual.
Then you can have another one, e.g. handled by passenger. Passenger can then do 3 things:
  • find some destination in Google Maps or another maps app and send it to Android Auto to navigate there
  • display pictures on the Android Auto screen (e.g. display how the hotel they're driving to looks like so the driver would easily find it)
  • play any music via car speakers (for now this requires root on passenger's device)

Can we install this android auto sdk somehow and use this?
The SDK itself is for developers. It allows writing new Android Auto apps.
It rather won't help much in modifying existing apps to run on AA, as the logic behind AA apps is quite different than for normal apps.

The SDK is used like any other Android library.
I published an example demo project (linked in README) which shows how.

Is it possible to have android navigation eg navigon running to a smartphone to display in android auto screen?
It is somewhat possible, for example by creating a new Andoid Auto app which mirrors the screen of the phone on the car screen and then somehow circumvents the fact that Android Auto displays its own graphics on the phone screen.

It's also possible to modify an open-source navigation app (I'm experimenting with OsmAnd recently) and implement the Android Auto functionality.

Reactions: petous and sosimple

sosimple

Sep 8, 2008
Ioannina
Many thanks for description. Very good. I would pay for an app mirroring passenger screen to android auto screen.. (showing anything passengers screen shows, video, navigation, etc).
I think many others would like this, if anyone could implement it..

Sent from my SM-T700 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Reactions: kapilathi

martoreto

Oct 24, 2017
Any ideas for what other things than navigation, watching videos while stopped and dangerously distracting the driver while driving would this be useful?

Reactions: Kill Me

Sissi1991

Dec 6, 2017
Hi Martoreto
Thank you for your work and for the SDK. I tried to you your passenger app now. But I have to say I failed. I don't have rooted my phones yet, but you wrote to send (push) pictures should be possible right? Currently for me it is just possible to send a point in maps. Other than that if I try to send a picture with printscreen it shows "sent to Android Auto" but in Android Auto happens nothing than 1 second of black mirror. I think to push pictures no root is needed right?

Thanks for replay

martoreto

Oct 24, 2017
Hi Martoreto
Thank you for your work and for the SDK. I tried to you your passenger app now. But I have to say I failed. I don't have rooted my phones yet, but you wrote to send (push) pictures should be possible right? Currently for me it is just possible to send a point in maps. Other than that if I try to send a picture with printscreen it shows "sent to Android Auto" but in Android Auto happens nothing than 1 second of black mirror. I think to push pictures no root is needed right?

Thanks for replay
Hi @Sissi1991, thanks for trying the app.

I see good news that you established the wireless connection successfully, which was one of the major concerns I had with the app.

You're right, sending photos should work without root. I saw another report in the SDK thread, when the example app could behave similarly.
Just to make sure it's the same: when you take the screenshot, the screen on Android Auto becomes black for about a second, and then appears the AA home sceen?
Also, does the same happen when trying to send some other picture than a screenshot (like Gallery -> <some photo> -> Share -> Send to Android Auto)?

A note about rooting: it's required only on passenger's device (to make audio work).

Reactions: petous

Kill Me

Oct 5, 2005
Couldnt make it work also, same problem as Sissi (tested the previous 0.9 alpha 1 version only)
If sending a picture from gallery, it gives an error 'error resizing image'

Last edited:

martoreto

Oct 24, 2017
Couldnt make it work also, same problem as Sissi (tested the previous 0.9 alpha 1 version only)
If sending a picture from gallery, it gives an error 'error resizing image'
Ok, this looks like another issue and alpha 2 rather won't make any difference here.

This error shows on the passenger's device, right?
If possible, please PM me links to:
- Android bugreport captured after this error (Settings -> Developer options -> Take bug report)
- The picture which failed to send

Thanks for trying this out. :)

bladerj

Dec 3, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Thanks for developing such a great idea :)

Don't know what I am missing, I can't pair my two phones, even though they are connected through wifi direct, the app apparently can't see this connection :s

Enviado de meu Nexus 6P usando Tapatalk

Last edited:

martoreto

Oct 24, 2017
Don't know what I am missing, I can't pair my two phones, even though they are connected through wifi direct, the app apparently can't see this connection :s
Yeah, I expected that Wifi Direct may have some connection issues. Nevertheless, please do this:

1. On driver's device open "AA Remote Settings" -> "Enable discovery".
  2. On passenger's device open "AA Passenger"; if the setup wizard shows up, go to the "Pairing" page.
  3. Wait 5 minutes.
  4. On both devices, capture Android bug reports, upload them somewhere and PM me the links.

Reactions: Kill Me

Kill Me

Oct 5, 2005
Thank you, ill give it a try.
Pairing through Wifi direct isnt indeed ideal and it takes a while to get connected, i get why using 'passenger' smartphone, but as the driver is driving the passenger could use the connected AA phone i think

martoreto

Oct 24, 2017
but as the driver is driving the passenger could use the connected AA phone i think
Just my 3 cents on this idea: some things can be done with this AA-connected phone, and this doesn't need any special app mostly.
I don't know how it is on other phones, but on my HTC One M8 I can open any app even when AA is connected using tricks like opening notifications drawer, going to Settings, Apps etc.
But even then Maps can't be open on both AA and the screen. It can't render at the same time to 2 destinations.
Then, fiddling with the cable can easily disconnect the nav.

That's why I go with the idea of using the passenger's phone, with his/her music library, maps favourites, bookmarks, whatever context etc., to make car travel a more "together" experience.

martoreto

Oct 24, 2017
Let me announce a new major release: 1.9-alpha8

It has two new main features, namely:

• Audio streaming without root, as rooting was rather a major blocker for
    this feature to be useful.

• Hotspot mode. Now the apps don't rely on Wi-fi Direct only (but it's still supported).
    They will work also if the passenger's device is connected to the hotspot started
    on the driver's device.

Full release notes:

• audio streaming, without root! (experimental)
  • audio streaming, without passenger app! (experimental)
  • works also with Hotspot active on the driver's device
  • AA Passenger now also available from Play Store
  • driver's app renamed to AA 2nd Seat
  • now compatible with Android 5.0 Lollipop
  • many bugs squashed
  • support for an NFC tag which launches or installs AA Passenger app

Note that both driver's and passenger's apps must be updated to work together.

Enjoy!

Last edited: