[APP][5.0+] Ampere the charging meter

nihil0

Jan 7, 2007
Budapest
A new Alpha version of Ampere (v1.38.6) has been just published. It can take several hours until it is available on Google Play. Please be patient. (The apk has been also attached to the very first post.)

The new function added in this Alpha release is the possibility to select the used measurement interface manually.
  • In pre Lollipop devices it is only present if more than one possible measurement interfaces were detected
  • In Lollipop devices (and later) it is only present if more than one possible measurement interfaces were detected and it is only enabled if the "Old measurement method" is switched on.
Please test it and give me feedback. Both positive and negative feedbacks are appreciated.

New functions:
  • Detect whether 0mA is measured and suggest old measurement method (if Lollipop)
  • Possibility to select measurement interface manually (if there are more than one)
New languages:
  • Arabic
  • Catalan
  • Dutch
  • Hebrew
Corrections:
  • Key icon in ActionBar is disabled if no in-app billing available
  • Portuguese (Portugal) locale updated
  • Minor bug fixes

Attachments

Last edited:

nihil0

Jan 7, 2007
Budapest
A description how to use Ampere on HTC M8

First of all, I disabled the app in Google Play for HTC M8 devices, because I got so many bad ratings from HTC users, and I will just enable it, if you confirm, that the App works great. Until then, please use the app from this thread from the first post.

After you start the app, you will realize, that the app shows 0mA, which is because the Lollipop interface is broken for most HTC devices. If you wait a few seconds, the app will ask you whether you would like to use the old measurement interface. You can say yes, or you can just select the same option in the settings menu.

After the "Old measurement method" is selected, please open the "Measurement interface" selector and select the third interface.

That's it. Now Ampere should show the charging current.

A last issue still exist. Because the firmware reports "not charging" instead of "discharging" in case that the charger is not connected, the discharging current will be not shown. While it is sad, I think it is not tragic.

Attachments

Last edited:

platypoid

May 13, 2013
I guess my device is too old - still have 0 ma on battery , continual searching for ma on USB with either method - just got newest Ampere 1.39 version
Motorola Droid Bionic XT875

nihil0

Jan 7, 2007
Budapest
I guess my device is too old - still have 0 ma on battery , continual searching for ma on USB with either method - just got newest Ampere 1.39 version
Motorola Droid Bionic XT875
Please look if the "Measurement interface" settings options exist. If yes, this means, that the app has more than one measurement interfaces detected. You can just try out, whether one of them is working for you.

platypoid

May 13, 2013
Please look if the "Measurement interface" settings options exist. If yes, this means, that the app has more than one measurement interfaces detected. You can just try out, whether one of them is working for you.
No - those options do not show up so guess this is not supported

I keep checking on new versions just in case there is some kind of breakthrough some day . But if the sensors are not in the phone I guess that means out of luck - ha ha .

snake2332

Dec 26, 2010
Montana
LG G2: VS980 works I believe

I noticed no entry in this thread for the Verizon LG G2 (VS980). I used to use a widget a long time ago that showed the battery draw/charge, which was handy, but I stopped using it. Now with Lollipop my battery seems to be draining faster and charging slower, so I looked for that old widget app but couldn't find it, so I tried Ampere instead. It seems to work mostly, though the power drawn while not charging seems wrong - it's just -20mA no matter screen brightness or radios=off, etc...always -20mA. Oh well, moving on.

Device: LG G2 VS980 running Lollipop Extreme v1.1 (based on official 39A [Android 5.0.1] update and xdabebb's kernel)

• Wireless charging from official LG wireless charger and slim non-TDU phone case, battery is at 78% - Ampere reports +20mV while phone is on it with screen-on. Rock-steady +20mA. This is ridiculously low, so I suspected Ampere simply didn't work with my device except it wasn't showing zeroes.
  • Wireless charging with case off, battery at 85%: Still camped out at 20mA. I believe it too because the last couple times I've tried to charge my phone at night on my other wireless charger, it claims to be charging but drains battery like 1% every 11 minutes (on KitKat my battery drained 1% per 60 minutes, yikes big difference). Yet at work it charged fine yesterday via wireless on this same charger that's showing 20mA in Ampere, so I don't know yet about wireless and how well it's working.
  • USB charging from PC: Plugged into a 500mA USB2.0 port and battery is at 83%: Ampere reports +330mA
  • USB charging from official LG charger, battery is at 84%: Ampere showing +930mA (max 1030 mA)

I haven't browsed this thread much yet, but I sure hope Braintrapp adds a historical view with logging and stuff. It would be great to see power draw while screen is off.

EDIT: p.s. The old app I used to use is Battery Monitor Widget, created by 3C. It has some ads that AdAway doesn't block, but gives you nice stats, history, graphs, etc. It was showing me a stable +15mA on wireless charger just like Ampere was showing me +20, but now with 99% battery on wireless charger it's showing +64mA. Maybe it changed since it's basically fully charged, but why would it go up from 15 to 64? More research and time needed, but at least it's working on Lollipop (for mA retrieval method I chose Real-time mA).

Last edited:

nihil0

Jan 7, 2007
Budapest
A new Alpha version v1.39.4-Alpha has been published on Google Play. Please be patient, it can take a couple of hours until it is visible. (Also attached to the first post)

Changes v1.35.1-v1.35.3 Alpha:
  • Landscape mode for tablets
  • Measured values in notification icon
  • Font size is bigger for devices with bigger than 5 inch display
  • New languages: Bulgarian, Galician, Vietnamese
The font size change:
  • Phones till 360 dpi width: no changes
  • Phones above 360 dpi width: bigger font
  • Tablets (above 600 dpi width): much bigger font
Please test whether all the texts still fit on your display and the layout is not destroyed.

Please test all features and please give feedback (also if everything is fine) with your device type/firmware type mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: paul c

mike2nl

Jul 24, 2009
Near Utrecht
Hi nihi0,
Was testing your app on my tablet but it says it is not supported now.

It is a Galaxy Tab 7 p-1000
With 4.4.4 from storm31 here from xda. A CM implementation.

mattcooper

Jul 23, 2012
Norwich
Would love an average measurement reading and a graph showing the ma measured in background with pro... Also the option to only background monitor when charging

Last edited:

platynumx

Sep 7, 2010
Does this support reading of charging off a turbo charger?
On my nexus 6 using this app there was only a .2 volt difference in charge rate on a normal charger vs turbocharger. Or am I just misunderstanding the whole turbocharg thing?

zadigre

Aug 28, 2006
Montreal
Does this support reading of charging off a turbo charger?
On my nexus 6 using this app there was only a .2 volt difference in charge rate on a normal charger vs turbocharger. Or am I just misunderstanding the whole turbocharg thing?
yes it supports turbo charging...
Charge rate will tell you if it's detected... it should say "Turbo" when a turbo charger is connected.

you might not see the benefit of a turbo charger if the battery is above xx % (I don't know exactly the value).
but if your battery is low enough (ex below 50%), you will see charging current of 2400mAh.
But I suspect this charging current is based on 5V even if the device is charging at 12V...
if that's the case, 2400mAh at 5V would mean 1000mAh at 12V which is about right.
Remeber that you have to use a good quality USB cable to get the full potential of your turbo charger... the supplied usb cable should do the job properly.