[APP][5.0+] BatteryGuru

Nastrahl

Dec 9, 2017
@Paget96 now that the app got all the permissions needed, it could also retreive a lot more informations like exact battery percentage use per apps (it could be interesting combined with the stats already showed), and also sensors, networks (wifi, bluetooth, cellular), etc etc.

What do you think?

I got two questions :

Is there a way to block account/data sync in the background while the device is locked with the advanced doze settings ? If no, can I suggest it to be added if it’s possible ?

Do ’enable system battery saver’ and especially when ’only on screen off’ and the advanced doze settings overlaps each other or can they work together without issue (I got a Note 20 ultra for reference) ?

I wondered if the system battery saver isn’t already playing with doze so that your app’s settings is overwritten or messed up with system’s ones.

Thanks.

Paget96

Recognized Developer / Contributor
Oct 29, 2013
Krusevac
@Paget96 now that the app got all the permissions needed, it could also retreive a lot more informations like exact battery percentage use per apps (it could be interesting combined with the stats already showed), and also sensors, networks (wifi, bluetooth, cellular), etc etc.

What do you think?

I got two questions :

Is there a way to block account/data sync in the background while the device is locked with the advanced doze settings ? If no, can I suggest it to be added if it’s possible ?

Do ’enable system battery saver’ and especially when ’only on screen off’ and the advanced doze settings overlaps each other or can they work together without issue (I got a Note 20 ultra for reference) ?

I wondered if the system battery saver isn’t already playing with doze so that your app’s settings is overwritten or messed up with system’s ones.

Thanks.
1) I'll do it
2) System battery saver don't trigger while doze kicks in (normal behavior), now maybe some OEM does it.
There is no overlapping, each does own job, with system battery savet it'll be just more aggressive, since sys batt saver also does process restrictions, some of them also disable sync, reduce the time of wakelocks and so on, all is device specific.

Thanks for suggestions, I will integrate some more functions within doze and screen off state.

Icetea

Nov 8, 2014
...not on useles things like Wakelock detector which is useless nowadays. And in general the app feels kinda bloated.
👍

btw. current battery capacity view seems only calculated like
-> battery design factor/100 x actual % 😎 but this could not be true.

Last edited:

Paget96

Oct 29, 2013
Krusevac
Here it is / measured over night 10h!
Ohh, i though it's 15% in few hours. This is so minimal according to what all it calculate and what all it represent to the users.
👍

btw. current battery capacity view seems only calculated like
-> battery form factor/100 x actual % 😎 but this could not be true.
Yeah, it's over the design capacity. I can do calculate over health if you think it will be better.

Icetea

Nov 8, 2014
most of the design capacities are only maximum values which they are not reached in praxis.. At my experiences the real maximum is up to 8% less.

Yeah, it's over the design capacity. I can do calculate over health if you think it will be better
i think, this would be much better because it would involve aging into your calculation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paget96

Icetea

Nov 8, 2014
@Paget96
i think, you should think about: "what could my app make better then the others" and then focus your developing to this facts.😎👍 nobody needs another copy of all others.

Reactions: Paget96

michele72

May 30, 2010
Hello I do have an issue on the last 1.8.9 version. Under Battery health, it is now always saying 0% and the Estimated capacity is 0.0mAH. The reason seems to be that there are 0 charging sessions so it is unable to calculate. However, my phone is fully charged to 100% and Android says "fully charged", I don't understand why Batter Guru doesn't count this as a charging session. Even when Android says "fully charged" / "full", it seems that Battery Guru in fact still says "charging", I also tried waiting for one extra hour, but still "charging". I didn't have this issue in the past.

Paget96

Oct 29, 2013
Krusevac
Hello I do have an issue on the last 1.8.9 version. Under Battery health, it is now always saying 0% and the Estimated capacity is 0.0mAH. The reason seems to be that there are 0 charging sessions so it is unable to calculate. However, my phone is fully charged to 100% and Android says "fully charged", I don't understand why Batter Guru doesn't count this as a charging session. Even when Android says "fully charged" / "full", it seems that Battery Guru in fact still says "charging", I also tried waiting for one extra hour, but still "charging". I didn't have this issue in the past.
Hello, thanks for reporting.

BatteryGuru still count the charging time in order to detect over charge if happen. While device is on charger it still transmit power to the battery.

BatteryGuru count session only if its running in background (foreground service of the app), if you just installed it, there won't be much info. As long as you use it more, stats will become more accurate.

If you meant something else, please let me know and let's elaborate it even further.

Thanks for your time

michele72

May 30, 2010
Hi,
Let me give you more context.
I unplugged the charger, and this wasn't recorded as a charging session.
It is not detecting charging sessions anymore, and still says 0 charging sessions.

The previous version I had installed worked fine, at least it was giving me an estimation and counting the charging sessions, even though the estimation was definitely wrong.

In fact: you are recommending to charge the battery up to 80% for longer battery life. However, manually unplugging the charger at 80% (or even using automated solutions such as the Smart charging of some Roms, where the charging automatically stops at a certain threshold) will anyway fool this Battery Health section. In fact, the app will take the mAh capacity of the battery at 80% (when unplugging the charger as recommended) as maximum estimated capacity of the battery, and report the battery as being degraded because the "estimated" mAh of the battery will be something like the 80% of the design capacity.

Can you instead estimate what would be the maximum capacity of the battery (hypothetically charging to 100%) even though the sessions have terminated by the user let's say at 80%? It will need a calculation because I am not sure that these are correlated linearly or they follow another curve, I am not expert in that.

However, to come back to the issue. I uninstalled the app and installed it a few days ago and thought to perform a couple of full charges to 100%/discharges cycles to get an estimation of the battery health, but the app is apparently not counting these charging sessions.

Hello, thanks for reporting.

BatteryGuru still count the charging time in order to detect over charge if happen. While device is on charger it still transmit power to the battery.

BatteryGuru count session only if its running in background (foreground service of the app), if you just installed it, there won't be much info. As long as you use it more, stats will become more accurate.

If you meant something else, please let me know and let's elaborate it even further.

Thanks for your time

michele72

May 30, 2010
Hi Paget96,
actually I completed another charge cycle and it started counting now.
It seems also that it is starting to estimate the actual wear of the battery properly.

I am still a little bit concerned that the app will consider the battery as degraded after stopping the charging session at 80% repeatedly, because it will not see the real upper mAh reached by charging to 100%, and it will average down the capacity.

I'll keep an eye on this for a few days and report back my considerations.

Best

Paget96

Oct 29, 2013
Krusevac
Hi,
Let me give you more context.
I unplugged the charger, and this wasn't recorded as a charging session.
It is not detecting charging sessions anymore, and still says 0 charging sessions.

The previous version I had installed worked fine, at least it was giving me an estimation and counting the charging sessions, even though the estimation was definitely wrong.

In fact: you are recommending to charge the battery up to 80% for longer battery life. However, manually unplugging the charger at 80% (or even using automated solutions such as the Smart charging of some Roms, where the charging automatically stops at a certain threshold) will anyway fool this Battery Health section. In fact, the app will take the mAh capacity of the battery at 80% (when unplugging the charger as recommended) as maximum estimated capacity of the battery, and report the battery as being degraded because the "estimated" mAh of the battery will be something like the 80% of the design capacity.

Can you instead estimate what would be the maximum capacity of the battery (hypothetically charging to 100%) even though the sessions have terminated by the user let's say at 80%? It will need a calculation because I am not sure that these are correlated linearly or they follow another curve, I am not expert in that.

However, to come back to the issue. I uninstalled the app and installed it a few days ago and thought to perform a couple of full charges to 100%/discharges cycles to get an estimation of the battery health, but the app is apparently not counting these charging sessions.
Hi Paget96,
It seems also that it is starting to estimate the actual wear of the battery properly.

I am still a little bit concerned that the app will consider the battery as degraded after stopping the charging session at 80% repeatedly, because it will not see the real upper mAh reached by charging to 100%, and it will average down the capacity.

Best
Thanks for testing, I have done several improvements and posted test version on my telegram group https://t.me/Paget96_Projects

I understand your meaning of that, but here we count and do estimations based on Plug/Unplug, I will see in future am I able to perform some checks based on it, but at the moment it's decent and calculation is well. Any charge above 20% will be enough to do a proper calculation.
Sorry because I have replied with short answer, I have a lot of work now, working on several projects.

My suggestion is to get the beta and check if issue still persist.

Last edited:

Icetea

Nov 8, 2014
Hi Paget96,

Best
As I know, similar apps work at this way:
Trace loading for 20% and compare the loading controller for both values.
If 35% up to 55% (+20%!) - has had a controller measured power consumtion of 1200mAh.
Then you know, that 1% needs 60mAh.
And 100% needs 6000mAh input.
If 35%-55% needs 60min. Then 30%-80% -> ~2.5Std.charge time.
And 75% battery are ~4500mAh.
Otherwise you can calculate with battery design value.
If 4000mAh is "design factor", then 100% -> +/- 4000mAh.

As you can see, nearly every information can be generated if you have 3 or 4 values.😃

Hope, you understand. English is not my preffered language.😋

Last edited:

Paget96

Oct 29, 2013
Krusevac
As I know, similar apps work at this way:
Trace loading for 20% and compare the loading controller for both values.
-> 35% up to 55% (+20%!) - has had a controller measured power consumtion of 1200mAh.
Then you know, that 1% needs 60mAh.
And 100% needs 6000mAh input.
If 35%-55% needs 60min. Then 30%-80% -> ~2.5Std.charge time.

As you can see, nearly every information can be generated if you have 3 or 4 values.😃
Thats the way everything is calculated.
There are some little improvements that should be done. But yeah everything will be therez sooner or later. All I need is time, I'm working on all sides.

Reactions: Icetea