[APP][5.0+] Blokada ad blocker [open source][without root][v4]

Search This thread

oelapoel

Apr 29, 2006
blokada error

Dear developer. Lately blokada seems to stop randomly and give me this message when I open the app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201118_165757_org.blokada.origin.alarm.jpg
    Screenshot_20201118_165757_org.blokada.origin.alarm.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 494

Technical

Jun 2, 2008
Is there any comparison table between the versions? Blokada, Blokada Plus and Blokada Slim (Google Play version)
Thanks

Technical

Jun 2, 2008
It blocks ads through changing your DNS servers, which has a similar effect, but is less configurable.

1. Can I suppose that the default DNS server of the slim version will block all ads that the blocking lists already do? In other words, is the DNS doing the full anti-ad service?

2. I've uninstalled Blokada and installed the Slim one from Google Play to test. To my surprise, all the lists were there. I've tried twice, uninstalling and reinstalling the Slim version and even without the full Blokada installed, the lists were there... :confused:

Reactions: golfgtiedition30

Deus.

Apr 25, 2016
Biatorbágy
roth.su
Dear developer. Lately blokada seems to stop randomly and give me this message when I open the app.

Hi,
Check if the first 3 steps solve your problem: https://community.blokada.org/t/what-to-do-if-blokada-wont-activate-start/2147#all-devices

It blocks ads through changing your DNS servers, which has a similar effect, but is less configurable.

1. Can I suppose that the default DNS server of the slim version will block all ads that the blocking lists already do? In other words, is the DNS doing the full anti-ad service?

2. I've uninstalled Blokada and installed the Slim one from Google Play to test. To my surprise, all the lists were there. I've tried twice, uninstalling and reinstalling the Slim version and even without the full Blokada installed, the lists were there... :confused:

1.) Nobody knows what Cloudflare (the default DNS server) blocks exactly, only Cloudflare. However, you have much more fine-grained blocking possibility using the full feature.
2.) Slim asks if you want to update and if you press yes it installs the full version.

Technical

Jun 2, 2008
1.) Nobody knows what Cloudflare (the default DNS server) blocks exactly, only Cloudflare. However, you have much more fine-grained blocking possibility using the full feature.
Sorry, my fault, I was not clear enough. When I wrote "default", I mean Blokada DNS (beta). If I use it, will "all" (the majority of, the most prevalent) the blockings come from filters be enabled?

By the way, maybe change v4 for v5 in this thread title.

Suprachilla

Oct 11, 2016
I am using Blokada 4 on Android 9 for TV (Sony XH9005) - it sadly does not block the YouTube ads, except when I activate Adguard DNS and then Amazon Prime app does not start anymore. Why is Blokada 5 not recommended for Android TV yet?

Also DNS seems not to work consistently on Blokada on Android TV, I put a different DNS and checked it with DNSleaktest.com and it showed my home IP.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: ahac85

loparaan

Jun 15, 2012
Hello, I have it installed on an Amazon FireTv Stick, and version 4 worked perfectly, yesterday I updated to version 5, and there is a way to activate it, also the menus do not look good, they are deformed, it is as if the FireTv version it would have been updated with one of an android mobile.

TheBig1

Dec 8, 2020
The 5.x version is totaly crap! I'll stay by 4.x version for sure! ui is ugly....i can not set my own dns as standard...i can not use different hosts exept the ones in the app self....the setting is not settings...we must click to the "hamburger" menu right on the top....WHY???!!! 😏

Last edited:

Deus.

Apr 25, 2016
Biatorbágy
roth.su
Sorry, my fault, I was not clear enough. When I wrote "default", I mean Blokada DNS (beta). If I use it, will "all" (the majority of, the most prevalent) the blockings come from filters be enabled?

By the way, maybe change v4 for v5 in this thread title.

Blokada DNS doesn't block ads, yet; but that's the goal, yes.

Hello, I have it installed on an Amazon FireTv Stick, and version 4 worked perfectly, yesterday I updated to version 5, and there is a way to activate it, also the menus do not look good, they are deformed, it is as if the FireTv version it would have been updated with one of an android mobile.

Hi,
v5 doesn't and won't support TV devices, better to stay with v4.

The 5.x version is totaly crap! I'll stay by 4.x version for sure! ui is ugly....i can not set my own dns as standard...i can not use different hosts exept the ones in the app self....the setting is not settings...we must click to the "hamburger" menu right on the top....WHY???!!! 😏

There's no "hamburger" menu in v5. The settings are available with the gear icon at the bottom of the screen, the most right one.

Reactions: Technical

eden1988

Dec 25, 2010
Did you login your account on this app or just use as it is?
Is it safe to have our account logged on this app?
I sure did, I also used previous app from this dev. If I remember correctly, you don't enter your email and password, you login via youtube.com/activate and enter code from screen, same as normal YouTube app. Also, it is on github, so you can check the app code.

Reactions: eden1988

eden1988

Dec 25, 2010
I sure did, I also used previous app from this dev. If I remember correctly, you don't enter your email and password, you login via youtube.com/activate and enter code from screen, same as normal YouTube app. Also, it is on github, so you can check the app code.

Thanks! I may give it a try these few days, the 2x ads when starting on YouTube and a few times during 10 min mark is kinda getting on my nerves.

jharkness316

Feb 21, 2012
Is there a way to stop Blokada from nagging me to upgrade to 5.0? I like the 4.0+ design and it is easier for me to understand but the nag on my status bar is buggin me. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there, here a happy user of Blokada 4 from the beginning.

I really like the Smart list and the possibility of using custom lists and whitelist specific apps. But since it is quite old and I see the devs orienting development to subscripitions I am worried about it stop working suddently.

Can anyone tell me if alternatives like Adguard, Adaway or similars perform as well as Blokada 4? Things I really need are:
    Smart lists
    Custoim lists
    Whitelist apps
    Compatibility/Possibility to use in GoogleTV

I do use other feaures, but I do not consider them essential. I used to have Adaway in the past, though I cannot root all my family's phones and that is why I switched to Blokada at the time. Now all my friends and family have it and really apretiate how it blocks almost everything, even in GoogleTV (here misses more, though).
    You could try personalDNSfilter!
    Blokada v4
    See Changelog

Join us on chat: Blokada Chat
    More info on the Blokada Blog

Download

Download Blokada for Android 5+
    (you will also find a link for Android 4 version there)

----

Hi @ XDA!

I'm the developer of Blokada, a simple to use ad blocker for Android that works for all apps and doesn't require root. The idea is to make the app very simple to use, almost unnoticeable in daily operation, yet perfectly functional. I'm asking the awesome xda community to take a look, give feedback, and have fun!

You can find all the important links at blokada.org

The app is uploaded to XDA Labs!

Your feedback is appreciated! Hope you'll find it useful ! :)

If you have a moment please like / follow / share / +1 the social media of your choosing:

0f677e0e-a74b-441e-a4ec-559c1b091a86.jpg
    1b08dca6-e03e-4c5f-aa87-b6172dac5b74.jpg

7ff5ca0e-6688-4964-9aa6-a15873feea00.jpg
    924d9a5f-0611-4355-ba6f-8b853a167e45.jpg

07c981e3-2cab-4086-b132-afbd98a0874a.jpg
    7100e434-ffca-416b-b339-f4fdf4e502d4.jpg
    Blokada v3.0.0-preview

Hi all, big news! I've prepared a 3.0.0-preview build. I'd appreciate if you find a moment to install it and check if you experience any problems. Note it's a preview bulid, its not pushed to existing users yet.

Download:
    https://bitbucket.org/blokada/blokada/downloads/blokada-origin-v3.0.0-preview.apk

(if you use F-Droid you may need to do clean install if you want to try this preview)

The list of changes is long, you can find it here:
    https://blokada.org/api/v3/content/en/changelog.html

Regarding some recent discussion here, and other comments:
    - The work on keeping Blokada alive will be continued, but it may be better already on this release
    - Whitelist problems fixed
    - To translators, I'm sorry but I had to change some strings again despite I already uploaded a new batch. The good news is, I cut down on the essential strings. Now you only need to translate 61% of strings for me to be able to include your language. All the rest of strings is more optional, and comes from web screens, like help section. So always start from "essential" category (instructions: http://go.blokada.org/blog_translate).

Thank you!
    Update: Blokada v4.5

https://blokada.org/#download
    Changelog: https://blokada.org/docs/changelog.html

The newest version brings improvements in stability and user experience. We have made tweaks to Smart Lists, loading filters, the updater, and more.

This version is also coming to fdroid and all other places, so soon we should have the same release on each platform and no confusion. I have a trouble updating xda labs, its giving me error 500 on update.

Thank you for supporting the project and being here.
    Blokada v3.0.0-preview2

Second and last preview release for 3.0.0. In short, Keep Alive and Start on Boot should work way better now. Translations are also in, so that you can test them and make last changes before the stable 3.0.0 is out. Feel free to give it a go!

Download:
    https://bitbucket.org/blokada/blokada/downloads/blokada-origin-v3.0.0-preview2.apk

(if you use F-Droid you may need to do clean install if you want to try this preview)

Changelog: https://blokada.org/api/v3/content/en/changelog.html

Also, Blokada is getting it's dedicated chat! Everyone is welcome. Translators, it would be very helpful if you join so that you can be easily notified about any important changes regarding translations. http://go.blokada.org/chat

Thank you!
    Hello everyone,

We are happy to announce that Blokada 4.4 just released, bringing great features and various bug fixes. Briefly, form the changelog:
    - Wildcard support (in beta)
    - Smart List feature (in beta)
    - New master switch on the main screen
    - Blokada's VPN service is now Blokada Tunnel, to avoid confusion
    - Blokada Tunnel partner gateways
    - Improved updater
    - Re-organised Blokada account screen

See the full list here: https://go.blokada.org/changelog

Want the newest version? Download it from our website: https://blokada.org
    or use the in-app updater.

The code is sent to F-droid, they will release this version later this week.

Enjoy using Blokada!