• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP][5.0+] DNS66 - Open Source Host/Ad-Blocker without Root

Search This thread

tag68

Nov 25, 2014
... but the vpn is disabled, for this reason most apps have the "Auto Re-Connect" option, DNS doesn't have it, so i need fo find a solution for this.
Think it has this option. Option "überwache Verbindung"in the "Start" tab. In english something like "Monitor connection". The explanation says it reconnects if lost. Guess it works for the start also.

jwarrior319

Think it has this option. Option "überwache Verbindung"in the "Start" tab. In english something like "Monitor connection". The explanation says it reconnects if lost. Guess it works for the start also.
Its the first two options on the main window. If its npt working its a manufacturer issue.

Sent from my LM-V600 using XDA Labs

rootawayasus

Nov 11, 2017

julian_klode

Apr 23, 2015
0.6.6 release

0.6.6 is out. Hopefully f-droid does not take too long to build it.

Changes since 0.6.5:

• fix potential crashes on empty UDP packets
  • update dependencies to latest versions
  • improve notifications
    • add color
    • do not use dns66 as title, it's duplicated

Nsx93

Nov 6, 2011
I've got a strange issue. Running on S9+ September 1 security patch.
Latest version of dns66
I get a reconnect error while using verizon mobile internet. Wont connect .
Switch over to using home wifi or any wifi and it will reconnect and active.

Is it because im on Verizon network?
It was working fine yesterday before i switch from att to Verizon network.

Any idea?

Thank you

julian_klode

Apr 23, 2015
I've got a strange issue. Running on S9+ September 1 security patch.
Latest version of dns66
I get a reconnect error while using verizon mobile internet. Wont connect .
Switch over to using home wifi or any wifi and it will reconnect and active.

Is it because im on Verizon network?
It was working fine yesterday before i switch from att to Verizon network.

Any idea?

Thank you

It's possible, I suggest creating a logcat, and sharing it with an app you can read it and see if it gives some useful hints. You can also email it to me by sharing with mail app, but make sure to say something in that email so I know this is about this (there are always some people who just send me logcats that look perfectly fine and don't say why they send it..)

julian_klode

Apr 23, 2015
I've went ahead and replaced my OnePlus 6 with a Pixel 4a, so I suppose we'll see fixes for new Android versions sooner now. I'm not sure I want to install betas, though, so keep that in mind.

Nsx93

Nov 6, 2011
Well. I dont know what went 'right' but today after downloading again the latest version. It work. No more error.
Only thing i did was a network reset because of my new service carrier was giving me problem of not able to receive text messages.

stavca

Aug 14, 2012
hi guys, I would like to exclude some apps (games) from ad blocking so I'm able to watch ads in the game and get in-game rewards but even though I excluded such games, restarted DNS66 app a few times and phone also I still have ads blocked in excluded games, is there anyone else facing such issue??

julian_klode

Apr 23, 2015
Just a quick note that on Android 11 on Pixels at least, a system VPN service like DNS66 uses under the hood causes the phone to consider the connection as metered even though it isn't.

ppav1776

Nov 12, 2010
Utrecht
Hi julian_klode, what the great tool your DNS66 is !
It is the app which keeps me from considering some "fruit" smartphones ;)

Yet got a very strange issue on one (out of 10x) of my Android devices - logged it in GH as #425

Any idea where should I start? Disabling IPV6 via the JSON file?

P.

julian_klode

Apr 23, 2015
0.6.7 release notes

Bug fixes:
  • Play Store is no longer automatically allowed to bypass fi no other app is set to bypass
  • Alert the user that the connection watchdog may cause instability when they enable it
  • Set the VPN to unmetered to fix regression in Android 11
Host file sources changes:
  • Add DuckDuckGo tracker list, enabled by default for new users
  • Obsolete hosts-file.net source is removed
Features
  • Portuguese (Brazilian) translation
Dependency updates
  • Update to dnsjava 3.3.1

Attachments

• org.jak_linux.dns66_28.apk
    3.7 MB · Views: 134

theballo

Jan 8, 2018
Hey, does anyone have a suggestion how to get dns66 to work alongside Opera Max aka Samsung Max? I'd like to have the data savings of Max along with the ad blocking of dns66. Currently running one will stop the other for whatever reason.

MastahTohno

Jan 28, 2021
I installed the newest version of DNS66 a few days ago and I've been having issues where certain sites, including adult sites (don't judge), load with no CSS and sometimes with messed up script support (such as search boxes not popping up in certain sites). With the previous version of DNS66, I didn't have this issue; plus, pausing DNS66 and reloading makes the sites work fine (albeit loading with every single ad they have). Help?

Phone: Huawei Y9 Prime 2019, 128GB
Model: STK-LX3
Kernel: 4.14.116
DNS66 version: 0.6.7

Rosetti

May 30, 2010
Guys, i need your intelligence.

How do i set the automatic restart of the vpn when i do the phone reboot even if the app has been stopped?

Example: I stop DNS66 - Reboot the phone - VPN is OFF

I want: I stop DNS66 - Reboot the phone - the vpn is automatically enabled at every start.

Any idea?
I have the same question. Any help?
After reboot app starts automatically but in the app I have to click on start manually.
Thank you

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 8T
I have the same question. Any help?
After reboot app starts automatically but in the app I have to click on start manually.

Thank you

For me it always restarts automatically if I have "resume on system startup" enabled.
Screenshot_20210217_104815.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey,

I am the developer of DNS66, a free (GPL-3) host and ad blocker for Android 5.0 and newer. It utilises Android's VPN service to redirect DNS traffic to the local app, and filters out any blocked hosts from reaching the servers (instead responding directly with "non-existing domain").

As it only intercepts DNS traffic it is a fairly lightweight solution and does not seem to have any measurable effect on the battery life. Given that it only blocks entire host names, it cannot block as detailed as some other ad blockers. But it still catches almost all ads on the web.

The project can be found in the https://github.com/julian-klode/dns66 project on GitHub and you can directly install it via F-Droid: https://f-droid.org/app/org.jak_linux.dns66, the personal fdroid repository at https://jak-linux.org/fdroid/repo (updated immediately when there is a new release), or download the apk from the github releases page: https://github.com/julian-klode/dns66/releases (or use the fdroid repository listed on github

Android 7 notice: The DownloadManager in Nougat and newer fails to download files when a VPN service is active. This affects Play Store updates and installs, and downloads in Chrome, amongst other things. Versions 0.1.3 contains a workaround for the Play Store, but other apps might still fail to download unless the bug in Android is fixed. See https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=213341 and https://github.com/julian-klode/dns66/issues/31#issuecomment-256695500 for further details.

Not working? For blocking issues, send me logcat via E-Mail ([email protected]). If it worked before, send a logcat for the old version as well. Note that not all ads can be blocked via DNS, so partial ad blocking is usually not a bug - If you see requests in the logcat, that means DNS66 works correctly, and I'm not going to investigate further. Issues in UI elements and stuff like that you can just report directly (especially in preview builds).

In-App Ad Blocking: Might or might not work. Seems Google worked around VPNs blocking the ads or something. In-Browser blocking works fine.
    0.5.6 release

0.5.6 is out.

Highlights:
    • Improved in-app ad blocking in "system apps bypass" mode - system webview now does not bypass anymore
    • Certain DNS requests where falsely rejected in 0.5.5 due to a bug in pcap4j 1.7.1, hence upgraded to 1.7.2 - This caused Conversations to fail to connect

All changes:
    • Release 0.5.6 -
    • Update GSON to 2.8.2 -
    • Upgrade to SDK version 26 (Oreo) - That's what I'm using now, so let's build with it.
    • Update to pcap4j 1.7.2 for aitoy/pcap4#123 - pcap4j 1.7.1 had issues parsing certain packets.
    • Allow applications to bypass the VPN themselves - This might help with #193, not sure.
    • Report stopped when stopped by third party - There seems to be a more generic life-cycle problem here, as that does not seem to be the correct solution, but it at least fixes the issue as good as possible. Really gotta do that life-cycle rework.
    • Treat system webview like a browser in 'system except browsers' - System webview widgets might be running the view in some webview UID sandbox or something, not sure, but according to #125 this solves the issue. - Fixes #125
    • Don't just crash if logcat fails - Fixes #206
    • Increase update timeouts - Increase the time out for connect to 30 seconds, and the overall execution wait thing to an hour - this one really should not be timing out in the first place, otherwise you get inconsistent results.- Fixes #207
    • Re-add external storage permissions - Some vendors like Xiaomi seem to produce horribly broken systems that require external storage permission for ACTION_CREATE_DOCUMENT with CATEGORY_OPENABLE. They just pop up a toast saying to toggle on file permissions in settings, but if we do not list file permissions in the manifest, there are none to be toggled on in settings. This does not really have any effect on other Android >= 6.0 phone, as permissions have to be requested at run-time and the manifest just specifies an upper set, but it should allow Mi users to work around their horribly broken systems.

Needless to say I'm sad about re-adding the external storage, but there seems to be a lot of broken MIUI and custom roms out there.
    Version 0.6.3 released

Versions 0.6.2 and 0.6.3 are out

0.6.2 changes:
    • respect order of system dns servers (#382)
    • dependency updates

0.6.3 changes:
    • Work around bug in pcap4j crashing dns66 (#373)
    • app whitelist: Fix crash when getContext() is null (#362)
    • StartFragment: Fix icon not being shown after disconnect (#361)
    • Force notifications on Oreo and above. Use notification channels to disable notifications you don't like
    • Fix crash when vpn is restarted in some situations (#360)
    • updates: Follow redirects (#338)
    • Automatically follow night/dark mode on Android 10+ (#358)

I hope that f-droid picks them up soon, as usual my builds are available on github and in my f-droid repo.
    0.5.0 released

I just released 0.5.0. Changes since RC1:

Code:
    Julian Andres Klode (7):
          WhitelistFragment: Correctly display changed toggle after scroll
          Configuration: Fix reading the itemsOnVpn array
          README.md: Add link to XDA
          Switch JSON I/O from JsonReader/JsonWriter to GSON
          strings: Some formatting cleanup
          Hack in the message for incomplete updates
          version 0.5.0

Julien Lepiller (1):
          French translation

Naofumi Fukue (1):
          japanese translation

Nikolay Buzovsky (1):
          Russian translation

An overview of changes since the last stable release is available at

https://github.com/julian-klode/dns66/releases/tag/v0.5.0
    Julian,
    I have some ideas for your app and provided you some new blocklists. I was wondering if you could hack together pi-hole to work on our local phones or take some of their features and add it to your app.
    Please see feature request:
    https://github.com/julian-klode/dns66/issues/197
    And:
    https://github.com/julian-klode/dns66/issues/196

I saw it, the feature request is already equivalent to two others. That said, there likely won't be any new features this year anyway (at least not from me). My requirements are satisfied as is (in app log view and quick unblock/block would be nice, but it's not essential), and I have to hand in my master's thesis in January. I'd merge reasonable, understandable pull requests with unit tests, though; and will do the occasional 0.5 point release with bug fixes and updated translations.