• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP][5.0+] DNS66 - Open Source Host/Ad-Blocker without Root

Search This thread

bo reddude

Mar 9, 2021
I just got a new phone sky devices elite b55 running android 10 go edition. i

got everything installed just the way i like it but the dns66 which i installed using f-droid is stopping on its own when i'm using certain apps. so far, it's been pi network app, instagram, snapchat, vent, whisper, youtube, google files and playstore. if i open these apps, the dns66 will stop and disappear from the notification bar on top. and i've also noticed that avast also disappears similarly but not with the same apps. not sure if it's a dns66 issue of the android 10 go edition issues.

has anyone dealt with similar situation with any phones? can't seem to figure out what's going on .

julian_klode

Apr 23, 2015
0.6.8 is out. I removed the DuckDuckGo tracker list because it's broken (disabled for existing users), and I reverted dnsjava to 3.0.0 just to get an insight if that fixes crashes for some people.

I do think it's time to raise the minimum Android version to like 9 or so. I don't want to support hilariously old phones. If it's not a Pixel running Android 11, you're basically on your own :)

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 8T
I do think it's time to raise the minimum Android version to like 9 or so. I don't want to support hilariously old phones. If it's not a Pixel running Android 11, you're basically on your own :)
I'd be happy with making the minimum Android 9, but that's because I like keeping my phone up to date (running Android 11 on my 4 year old OnePlus 3T courtesy of LineageOS).
But if my phone was stuck with an OEM supplied OS, then I'd want a 4 year window (Android 8).

Reactions: Ultramanoid

fmc000

Jan 18, 2008
I'd be happy with making the minimum Android 9, but that's because I like keeping my phone up to date (running Android 11 on my 4 year old OnePlus 3T courtesy of LineageOS).
But if my phone was stuck with an OEM supplied OS, then I'd want a 4 year window (Android 8).
If the phone is stuck with Android 8 just don't upgrade DNS66, the older version will continue to work perfectly.

Reactions: BillGoss

ScorpionBSG

Jul 16, 2013
Minsk
Hallo. Why DNS66 won't block on Android TV with same filters on smartphone? On smartphone working perfect.
Android TV X96 Max Plus (Android 9). Tried different browsers (Google Chrome and Firefox).

Attachments

• DNS66 Logcat.txt
    68.5 KB · Views: 11
Google is doubling down on the ad encryption for YouTube. The only successful way of completely eliminating them is to be rooted and run YouTube AdAway via Xposed.

Or be rooted and use a patched ad-free version. Basically, be rooted.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Labs
Or you can download YouTube vanced which works with or without root... It's literally the best way

Reactions: Odysseus1962

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey,

I am the developer of DNS66, a free (GPL-3) host and ad blocker for Android 5.0 and newer. It utilises Android's VPN service to redirect DNS traffic to the local app, and filters out any blocked hosts from reaching the servers (instead responding directly with "non-existing domain").

As it only intercepts DNS traffic it is a fairly lightweight solution and does not seem to have any measurable effect on the battery life. Given that it only blocks entire host names, it cannot block as detailed as some other ad blockers. But it still catches almost all ads on the web.

The project can be found in the https://github.com/julian-klode/dns66 project on GitHub and you can directly install it via F-Droid: https://f-droid.org/app/org.jak_linux.dns66, the personal fdroid repository at https://jak-linux.org/fdroid/repo (updated immediately when there is a new release), or download the apk from the github releases page: https://github.com/julian-klode/dns66/releases (or use the fdroid repository listed on github

Android 7 notice: The DownloadManager in Nougat and newer fails to download files when a VPN service is active. This affects Play Store updates and installs, and downloads in Chrome, amongst other things. Versions 0.1.3 contains a workaround for the Play Store, but other apps might still fail to download unless the bug in Android is fixed. See https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=213341 and https://github.com/julian-klode/dns66/issues/31#issuecomment-256695500 for further details.

Not working? For blocking issues, send me logcat via E-Mail ([email protected]). If it worked before, send a logcat for the old version as well. Note that not all ads can be blocked via DNS, so partial ad blocking is usually not a bug - If you see requests in the logcat, that means DNS66 works correctly, and I'm not going to investigate further. Issues in UI elements and stuff like that you can just report directly (especially in preview builds).

In-App Ad Blocking: Might or might not work. Seems Google worked around VPNs blocking the ads or something. In-Browser blocking works fine.
    0.5.6 release

0.5.6 is out.

Highlights:
    • Improved in-app ad blocking in "system apps bypass" mode - system webview now does not bypass anymore
    • Certain DNS requests where falsely rejected in 0.5.5 due to a bug in pcap4j 1.7.1, hence upgraded to 1.7.2 - This caused Conversations to fail to connect

All changes:
    • Release 0.5.6 -
    • Update GSON to 2.8.2 -
    • Upgrade to SDK version 26 (Oreo) - That's what I'm using now, so let's build with it.
    • Update to pcap4j 1.7.2 for aitoy/pcap4#123 - pcap4j 1.7.1 had issues parsing certain packets.
    • Allow applications to bypass the VPN themselves - This might help with #193, not sure.
    • Report stopped when stopped by third party - There seems to be a more generic life-cycle problem here, as that does not seem to be the correct solution, but it at least fixes the issue as good as possible. Really gotta do that life-cycle rework.
    • Treat system webview like a browser in 'system except browsers' - System webview widgets might be running the view in some webview UID sandbox or something, not sure, but according to #125 this solves the issue. - Fixes #125
    • Don't just crash if logcat fails - Fixes #206
    • Increase update timeouts - Increase the time out for connect to 30 seconds, and the overall execution wait thing to an hour - this one really should not be timing out in the first place, otherwise you get inconsistent results.- Fixes #207
    • Re-add external storage permissions - Some vendors like Xiaomi seem to produce horribly broken systems that require external storage permission for ACTION_CREATE_DOCUMENT with CATEGORY_OPENABLE. They just pop up a toast saying to toggle on file permissions in settings, but if we do not list file permissions in the manifest, there are none to be toggled on in settings. This does not really have any effect on other Android >= 6.0 phone, as permissions have to be requested at run-time and the manifest just specifies an upper set, but it should allow Mi users to work around their horribly broken systems.

Needless to say I'm sad about re-adding the external storage, but there seems to be a lot of broken MIUI and custom roms out there.
    Version 0.6.3 released

Versions 0.6.2 and 0.6.3 are out

0.6.2 changes:
    • respect order of system dns servers (#382)
    • dependency updates

0.6.3 changes:
    • Work around bug in pcap4j crashing dns66 (#373)
    • app whitelist: Fix crash when getContext() is null (#362)
    • StartFragment: Fix icon not being shown after disconnect (#361)
    • Force notifications on Oreo and above. Use notification channels to disable notifications you don't like
    • Fix crash when vpn is restarted in some situations (#360)
    • updates: Follow redirects (#338)
    • Automatically follow night/dark mode on Android 10+ (#358)

I hope that f-droid picks them up soon, as usual my builds are available on github and in my f-droid repo.
    0.5.0 released

I just released 0.5.0. Changes since RC1:

Code:
    Julian Andres Klode (7):
          WhitelistFragment: Correctly display changed toggle after scroll
          Configuration: Fix reading the itemsOnVpn array
          README.md: Add link to XDA
          Switch JSON I/O from JsonReader/JsonWriter to GSON
          strings: Some formatting cleanup
          Hack in the message for incomplete updates
          version 0.5.0

Julien Lepiller (1):
          French translation

Naofumi Fukue (1):
          japanese translation

Nikolay Buzovsky (1):
          Russian translation

An overview of changes since the last stable release is available at

https://github.com/julian-klode/dns66/releases/tag/v0.5.0
    Julian,
    I have some ideas for your app and provided you some new blocklists. I was wondering if you could hack together pi-hole to work on our local phones or take some of their features and add it to your app.
    Please see feature request:
    https://github.com/julian-klode/dns66/issues/197
    And:
    https://github.com/julian-klode/dns66/issues/196

I saw it, the feature request is already equivalent to two others. That said, there likely won't be any new features this year anyway (at least not from me). My requirements are satisfied as is (in app log view and quick unblock/block would be nice, but it's not essential), and I have to hand in my master's thesis in January. I'd merge reasonable, understandable pull requests with unit tests, though; and will do the occasional 0.5 point release with bug fixes and updated translations.