• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
We did a short review of the FairEmail app - I hope you will like it. Supporting the open-source...our website is still a work in progress.
This is the weirdest review I have read in my life. Maybe the writer tested several apps at the same time and got confused.

Seems like I've found another site that I don't need to bookmark.

Reactions: nadir husain

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I

I hope you'll not get that server running that @mobification was talking about 😄
He deleted the 'review' in the mean time already.
The domain name was registered mostly to prevent misusage. Maybe I will use it to provide a service like temporary email addresses. I am not sure yet.

My apps will be given in license to a registered company called "FairCode bv" which is currently being established and which will be owned by myself. The main reason is to shield myself from claims. All my apps have proper disclaimers, but I have had contact with enough unfriendly people to know that might not be enough to prevent trouble.

So far, I have refrained from offering services, but with a company this would be more feasible. I am not sure if I want to do this though.

Some of the things suggested over the course of the time are temporary email addresses, sharing messages via a link, and confirming receival of messages with a link.

What would be useful to you?

nadir husain

Aug 31, 2019
This is the weirdest review I have read in my life. Maybe the writer tested several apps at the same time and got confused.

Seems like I've found another site that I don't need to bookmark.
The domain name was registered mostly to prevent misusage. Maybe I will use it to provide a service like temporary email addresses. I am not sure yet.

My apps will be given in license to a registered company called "FairCode bv" which is currently being established and which will be owned by myself. The main reason is to shield myself from claims. All my apps have proper disclaimers, but I have had contact with enough unfriendly people to know that might not be enough to prevent trouble.

So far, I have refrained from offering services, but with a company this would be more feasible. I am not sure if I want to do this though.

Some of the things suggested over the course of the time are temporary email addresses, sharing messages via a link, and confirming receival of messages with a link.

What would be useful to you?
Confirming msg receipt by a link. So many times I wish I knew if the recipient of my emails had received it. Even though I ask for delivery/ read receipts I rarely get one. I understand that privacy is a concern here but it would be nice to know if someone got/ read your email.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Confirming msg receipt by a link. So many times I wish I knew if the recipient of my emails had received it. Even though I ask for delivery/ read receipts I rarely get one. I understand that privacy is a concern here but it would be nice to know if someone got/ read your email.
Why would someone click a link as a read receipt when they can send the built-in read receipt with the same effort (usually just one click)?

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
As an app that tries to remove tracker pixels, it's quite contradictory to add one yourself IMO. The only way for confirming the receipt ethically is IMO if you put in a clickable link with a clear text such as "confirm that you received this message by clicking on this link" while it is the viewers choice to click the link or not (thus, an opt-in for the recipient). Then again, @fraschi51 is right, the current receipt confirmation should be sufficient here. No need to add an own solution when a standard solution is already implemented.

Temporary email addresses sound nice, though. Especially so if one can use them to register to services without giving away their own email address, similarly to how Apple does it. For this to work (especially when one forgot the account password and needs to receive an email), the addresses would need to be valid for as long as the user doesn't remove it, but you can utilize aliasing to not create dozens of real email accounts per user.

La_Globule

Nov 6, 2007
Why would someone click a link as a read receipt when they can send the built-in read receipt with the same effort (usually just one click)?
Because many people use their webmail that very often doesn't handle receive/read receipt.
And I think that this action must be automatically done when the user opens the mail without asking him to manually click on any link/button.
So I think too that it would be a great thing.

Last edited:

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Because many people use their webmail that very often doesn't handle receive/read receipt.
And I think that this action must be automatically done when the user opens the mail without asking him to manually click on any link/button.
However, such an automatism would not go well with the goal of FE, insofar it should already be a conscious click by the recipient.

Reactions: O_DoC and mkasimd

nadir husain

Aug 31, 2019
Instant messengers like WhatsApp and Telegram have automatic read receipts and give the user the option to block them ( both ways ie those who can't give out read receipts can't see them either). Also plain text msgs ( sms) have automatic delivery reports with no read receipts. Why not email?

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Instant messengers like WhatsApp and Telegram have automatic read receipts and give the user the option to block them ( both ways ie those who can't give out read receipts can't see them either). Also plain text msgs ( sms) have automatic delivery reports with no read receipts. Why not email?
Automatic DSN could be done, but after that you still don't know if a mail has reached the recipient, let alone if he has opened or read or understood it.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
As an app that tries to remove tracker pixels, it's quite contradictory to add one yourself IMO. The only way for confirming the receipt ethically is IMO if you put in a clickable link with a clear text such as "confirm that you received this message by clicking on this link" while it is the viewers choice to click the link or not (thus, an opt-in for the recipient). Then again, @fraschi51 is right, the current receipt confirmation should be sufficient here. No need to add an own solution when a standard solution is already implemented.

Temporary email addresses sound nice, though. Especially so if one can use them to register to services without giving away their own email address, similarly to how Apple does it. For this to work (especially when one forgot the account password and needs to receive an email), the addresses would need to be valid for as long as the user doesn't remove it, but you can utilize aliasing to not create dozens of real email accounts per user.
It wouldn't be a tracking pixel of course!

Reactions: mkasimd

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
That's a valid remark, but delivery/read receipts do not work or are being blocked more often than not.
One way for non-deniable automatic delivery reports probably is to have an own email service where you give each sent message a unique id with a timestamp and a server side script that periodically looks up if that one message was received by the recipient server with a 250 OK, until a permanent status code is returned. If so, you can mark the message as delivered (not "read", Not as "delivered in the inbox - not spam", just "delivered to the recipient account")

This however would require you to run your own full fledged email service and I'm not sure whether you want that. But if so, don't offer the email service to free users IMO, or require a monthly plan - even if as low as 1€/month - to avoid too many people taking your time with a lot of problems and wishes. Just my two cents on the topic.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
One way for non-deniable automatic delivery reports probably is to have an own email service where you give each sent message a unique id with a timestamp and a server side script that periodically looks up if that one message was received by the recipient server with a 250 OK, until a permanent status code is returned. If so, you can mark the message as delivered (not "read", Not as "delivered in the inbox - not spam", just "delivered to the recipient account")

This however would require you to run your own full fledged email service and I'm not sure whether you want that. But if so, don't offer the email service to free users IMO, or require a monthly plan - even if as low as 1€/month - to avoid too many people taking your time with a lot of problems and wishes. Just my two cents on the topic.
Services like this can't and shouldn't be free, if only to prevent misusage.

nadir husain

Aug 31, 2019

This would also require Marcel to stop sleeping😄. He is already at it 7 days a week with only a few hours of closed eye!

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016

My current servers also already give me a DSN on request - so what would I have gained from that?

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
My current servers also already give me a DSN on request - so what would I have gained from that?
True that, though not all email services support DSN, many do. So probably too much trouble with no additional gain. You are right on that. A read notification on the other hand requires the explicit opt-in of the reader or dirty tricks like a tracking pixel.

Maybe neither of those are needed in the end, I don't know. Though adding a clickable link with a clear descriptive text is still possible as a way to work around the automatic blocking of read receipts. For as long as it's done with an id which does not let Marcel (the service provider) know the recipient's personal data (name, email address, etc.) that would remain privacy conscious and feasible.

IMHO, adding temporary addresses sounds more of a greater feature than the delivery/read receipts, though.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
True that, though not all email services support DSN, many do. So probably too much trouble with no additional gain. You are right on that. A read notification on the other hand requires the explicit opt-in of the reader or dirty tricks like a tracking pixel.

Maybe neither of those are needed in the end, I don't know. Though adding a clickable link with a clear descriptive text is still possible as a way to work around the automatic blocking of read receipts. For as long as it's done with an id which does not let Marcel (the service provider) know the recipient's personal data (name, email address, etc.) that would remain privacy conscious and feasible.

IMHO, adding temporary addresses sounds more of a greater feature than the delivery/read receipts, though.
Privacy will be respected at all times.

So, there would be a clear description like "Please click this link to confirm you read the message" and the link wouldn't carry any privacy sensitive information.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Version 1.1770 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases
    Version 1.1775 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

There is another solution for showing the text / padding size in the overflow menu. Please let me know what you think about it.
    Downloading the internet still isn't finished and will take a little longer because I just uploaded version 1.1779 to GitHub and the Play store (test program).

Changelog/download:
    Version 1.1773 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

This version was released to fix the message composer not opening because the OpenKeychain app isn't responding.
    Version 1.1774 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

This is a release candidate for the next public Play store version (once a month only now to prevent 1 star reviews for "too many updates").
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.