• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

jmh2002

Jun 1, 2016
NZL, POL, UKR
No, I don't have any rules in FairEmail, and the message is unread in the Spam folder.

I agree, it's odd. I guess I'll try to do some more testing.
From some brief tests it seems that this problem only occurs with an email that was automatically sent to Spam by Gmail's servers.

If I manually mark an email as Spam the FairEmail notification works correctly.

It's a little bit difficult to test though because I very rarely get any Spam, and of course I can't force test a Spam email via Gmail's servers.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
From some brief tests it seems that this problem only occurs with an email that was automatically sent to Spam by Gmail's servers.

If I manually mark an email as Spam the FairEmail notification works correctly.

It's a little bit difficult to test though because I very rarely get any Spam, and of course I can't force test a Spam email via Gmail's servers.
Gmail spam messages are marked as read, so this is to be expected.

jmh2002

Jun 1, 2016
NZL, POL, UKR
Gmail spam messages are marked as read, so this is to be expected.
Are you sure? Because if this was the case I would never have noticed that I had received a Spam message in the first place.

But I immediately saw it when I opened my PC today, because I have Gmail's Spam folder set to only show if unread.

Then I wondered why I didn't have a notification from FairEmail, so I opened it on my phone and the message showed as unread in the Spam folder there too.

So I'm not sure it's correct that 'Spam messages are marked as read'?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Are you sure? Because if this was the case I would never have noticed that I had received a Spam message in the first place.

But I immediately saw it when I opened my PC today, because I have the Gmail's Spam folder to only show if unread.

Then I wondered why I didn't have a notification from FairEmail, so I opened it on my phone and the message showed as unread in the Spam folder there too.

So I'm not sure it's correct that 'Spam messages are marked as read'?
I am not sure, but new message notifications require messages to be new and unread.

If you open a spam message on your PC, it will likely be marked read and as a result FairEmail will remove the new message notification.

m0d

Nov 3, 2010
My Yahoo spam folder is called Bulk Mail.
Thank you,

So it is an issue with Yahoo web UI, disguising folder as Spam.
Thank you for your time,
I just wanted to make sure.

Long ago, Yahoo was one of my first email providers. However, these days, Yahoo isn't great anymore to put it nicely. Yahoo is one of the very few email providers not supporting IMAP IDLE (push messages) for example.

Same here. Unable to switch subscribed newsletters at the moment, though.

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
I am not sure, but new message notifications require messages to be new and unread.

If you open a spam message on your PC, it will likely be marked read and as a result FairEmail will remove the new message notification.
New messages in a Gmail Spam folder are marked unread, even in my FE spam box.

I have just tested this and set a notification on new messages in the Spam folder, and that arrives as expected and does not disappear by itself.

Reactions: jmh2002 and M66B

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Sometimes, I go through the local contacts list within the app and clear some of the unnecessary addresses and also to rename some contact names. As I marked "add senders of incoming mails to the contact list", some addresses like noreply@ and [email protected] are added too. So I would like to suggest:

1. being able to long-press mark multiple contacts after searching and bulk-deleting them
2. never adding no-reply addresses to the contacts*
3. adding an option for an account-independent contacts and frequency count such that the same contact doesn't have to be added x times for x accounts but only once

* This one may however cause troubles if a noreply address was marked as "not Spam", I think, so such addresses would need to be an exception and added to the contacts

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Sometimes, I go through the local contacts list within the app and clear some of the unnecessary addresses and also to rename some contact names. As I marked "add senders of incoming mails to the contact list", some addresses like [email protected] and [email protected] are added too. So I would like to suggest:

1. being able to long-press mark multiple contacts after searching and bulk-deleting them
2. never adding no-reply addresses to the contacts*
3. adding an option for an account-independent contacts and frequency count such that the same contact doesn't have to be added x times for x accounts but only once

* This one may however cause troubles if a noreply address was marked as "not Spam", I think, so such addresses would need to be an exception and added to the contacts
I've added multiple select for local contacts to my to do list, but this will be low priority.

I don't think it is a good idea to ignore no-reply addresses and account independent contacts. Many people set up an extra account for newsletters, etc, so blocked and allowed contacts should be account specific.

Reactions: mkasimd

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
I don't think it is a good idea to ignore no-reply addresses and account independent contacts. Many people set up an extra account for newsletters, etc, so blocked and allowed contacts should be account specific.
I can see that and that's why I was speaking of adding an option (e.g. a toggle) while the default behavior remains the same as that's what people are used to now.

Also, an account-independent contact list should be slightly more efficient in terms of retrieving but especially in terms of memory and disk usage. Though probably more of a theoretical rather than a noticeable improvement for the end user.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I can see that and that's why I was speaking of adding an option (e.g. a toggle) while the default behavior remains the same as that's what people are used to now.

Also, an account-independent contact list should be slightly more efficient in terms of retrieving but especially in terms of memory and disk usage. Though probably more of a theoretical rather than a noticeable improvement for the end user.
What you can do is long press on a local contact and mark it as "never favorite". This way the contact will never be used for suggestions, etc.

Reactions: mkasimd

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The next version will support swapping (reversing) the primary and accent color for the Material You theme.

Edit: example:

Screenshot_20211027-161238.png

Last edited:

jmh2002

Jun 1, 2016
NZL, POL, UKR
New messages in a Gmail Spam folder are marked unread, even in my FE spam box.

I have just tested this and set a notification on new messages in the Spam folder, and that arrives as expected and does not disappear by itself.

Thanks for confirming and replying, that was my understanding and experience too.

How did you test? By manually marking a message as Spam? I also tested like this and also found the notifications worked correctly in that situation.

But for an email that was automatically sent to Spam by Gmail's servers I didn't get any notification.

As I said, it's a little bit difficult to test though because I very rarely get any Spam (like, 1 in 3-6 months), and of course I can't force test a Spam email via Gmail's servers.

Maybe it was just a one off glitch on my side. I will change my setup slightly to accommodate this and make a note to check the next time some Spam arrives.

THANKS @heinhuiz and @M66B :)

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
How did you test? By manually marking a message as Spam? I also tested like this and also found the notifications worked correctly in that situation.

But for an email that was automatically sent to Spam by Gmail's servers I didn't get any notification.
I have one Gmail account that seems to work like a spam magnet. I set the Spam folder to notify on new messages and I got a new notification within 5 minutes 🥴

Reactions: jmh2002

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
FairEmail will be 10 MB bigger because Google forces apps to include emoji. This is the policy:

We're adding an Android Emoji policy that requires apps running on Android 12 and above to comply with the latest version of Unicode approved emojis within 4 months of availability. The policy will also present developers with different compliance options.

Effective April 1, 2022

The alternative is worse: let the app download the emoji on demand from Google's servers.

As a comparison: the app is about 20 MB now.

I am pretty shocked by this monopolistic dictating behavior of Google.

• Wow
Reactions: kost7 and mkasimd

ouzowtf

Sep 8, 2010
FairEmail will be 10 MB bigger because Google forces apps to include emoji. This is the policy:

The alternative is worse: let the app download the emoji on demand from Google's servers.

As a comparison: the app is about 20 MB now.

I am pretty shocked by this monopolistic dictating behavior of Google.
Why should every app include those emojis??? It would be better if Google downloaded it via play services once and stored it for the whole system and for all apps to use.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Downloading the internet still isn't finished and will take a little longer because I just uploaded version 1.1779 to GitHub and the Play store (test program).

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases
    Version 1.1775 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

There is another solution for showing the text / padding size in the overflow menu. Please let me know what you think about it.
    Version 1.1774 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

This is a release candidate for the next public Play store version (once a month only now to prevent 1 star reviews for "too many updates").
    Version 1.1773 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

This version was released to fix the message composer not opening because the OpenKeychain app isn't responding.
    Version 1.1783 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

Besides a series of small improvements and minor bug fixes two new display options were added:
    • An option for a double width color stripe
    • An option to change the unread shadow color from the accent color to the selected highlight color
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.