• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

Dark_Eyes_

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Sep 19, 2013
@M66B I know there is a moratorium on new features, but what do you think about ordering the categories we created? How would you go about doing it if you don't want to add it officially, so I can give it a try on my own builds? Adding a new table just for categories seems a bit overkill to me, do you think adding a categoryOrder column on the Accounts table would work?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@M66B I know there is a moratorium on new features, but what do you think about ordering the categories we created? How would you go about doing it if you don't want to add it officially, so I can give it a try on my own builds? Adding a new table just for categories seems a bit overkill to me, do you think adding a categoryOrder column on the Accounts table would work?
Why not simply prefix the category names with 1, 2, 3, etc?

You could add something similar to account or folder ordering, but implementing this won't be trivial.

Dark_Eyes_

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Sep 19, 2013
Why not simply prefix the category names with 1, 2, 3, etc?

You could add something similar to account or folder ordering, but implementing this won't be trivial.
I thought about the prefixes, but I would prefer being able to order them like accounts and folders. I'll give it a try just for the fun of it. Thanks!

cklassen

Nov 14, 2021
Hello @M66B , when I recieve an encrypted mail and decrypt it with FairEmail, I get the message, that the mail isn't signed (see the attached screenshot). But when the mail is decrypted there is an icon left of the lock icon and when I tap on it, a message appears that the signature is valid. So the first message seems to be incorrect. I used version 1.1782.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    269.8 KB · Views: 19

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hello @M66B , when I recieve an encrypted mail and decrypt it with FairEmail, I get the message, that the mail isn't signed (see the attached screenshot). But when the mail is decrypted there is an icon left of the lock icon and when I tap on it, a message appears that the signature is valid. So the first message seems to be incorrect. I used version 1.1782.
Can you please contact me via here for a test version?

Reactions: mrrocketdog

cklassen

Nov 14, 2021
After contacting Marcel, he sent me a test version, where the issue is fixed. I tested it and the wrong message doesn't appear anymore. The fix will be included in the next release. Thanks Marcel!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
After contacting Marcel, he sent me a test version, where the issue is fixed. I tested it and the wrong message doesn't appear anymore. The fix will be included in the next release. Thanks Marcel!
The issue was that the signature is embedded in the encrypted message. For example old Outlook versions use this method, but the standard nowadays is to sign and encrypt in one go. The change is to check if there is a signature in the decrypted message and to suppress the notice in this case:

cklassen

Nov 14, 2021
@M66B , in the composing window there are three icons (see attached screenshot). Two of them are tap-able, one doesn't have a function. I would recommend to remove that one (red on the screenshot), because like it is now, it is not consistent. Although they have the same style, they don't have the same function. Additionally, when you remove it, there is one element less in the window and every UI element that isn't there means less mental work for users.

Attachments

• screenshot_compose.png
    screenshot_compose.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 32

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@M66B , in the composing window there are three icons (see attached screenshot). Two of them are tap-able, one doesn't have a function. I would recommend to remove that one (red on the screenshot), because like it is now, it is not consistent. Although they have the same style, they don't have the same function. Additionally, when you remove it, there is one element less in the window and every UI element that isn't there means less mental work for users.
Although I prefer minimalism, the icon is a hint about what the input field is about. The CC and BCC fields have a different icon. There is a hint text too, so I will give this some thought anyway.

cklassen

Nov 14, 2021
Although I prefer minimalism, the icon is a hint about what the input field is about. The CC and BCC fields have a different icon. There is a hint text too, so I will give this some thought anyway.
I saw that they have different icons. But the style is the same. They all have no borders, they have the same colors etc. and that let's users think, they are all tap-able or not tap-able. But users wouldn't think that they have different functions. If you choose to keep the icon for the To-field, I would recommend to redesign the To-icon or the other ones.

And when you give a hint for the To-field, it would be more consistent to add icons as hints for the subject and the sending address, too. But then you would have some more elements in the UI.

As I said, I would at least create a greater difference between the To-icon and the ones on the right side. One simple adjustment could be to edit the icons on the right so they look like the icons in the media bar at the bottom.

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
Is it possible to hide these buttons at the bottom of an email?
Screenshot_20211130-191331.jpg

I never use them but find myself accidentally clicking them frequently.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I saw that they have different icons. But the style is the same. They all have no borders, they have the same colors etc. and that let's users think, they are all tap-able or not tap-able. But users wouldn't think that they have different functions. If you choose to keep the icon for the To-field, I would recommend to redesign the To-icon or the other ones.

And when you give a hint for the To-field, it would be more consistent to add icons as hints for the subject and the sending address, too. But then you would have some more elements in the UI.

As I said, I would at least create a greater difference between the To-icon and the ones on the right side. One simple adjustment could be to edit the icons on the right so they look like the icons in the media bar at the bottom.
I will see what I can do.

Reactions: cklassen

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@cklassen how about using the accent color for the buttons at the end of the fields?

This won't change much for existing users (too many people hate change), but still improve things.

If you wish you can contact me for a test version with this to see how it looks like.

Top Liked Posts