• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

Dark_Eyes_

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Sep 19, 2013
@M66B I know there is a moratorium on new features, but what do you think about ordering the categories we created? How would you go about doing it if you don't want to add it officially, so I can give it a try on my own builds? Adding a new table just for categories seems a bit overkill to me, do you think adding a categoryOrder column on the Accounts table would work?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@M66B I know there is a moratorium on new features, but what do you think about ordering the categories we created? How would you go about doing it if you don't want to add it officially, so I can give it a try on my own builds? Adding a new table just for categories seems a bit overkill to me, do you think adding a categoryOrder column on the Accounts table would work?
Why not simply prefix the category names with 1, 2, 3, etc?

You could add something similar to account or folder ordering, but implementing this won't be trivial.

Dark_Eyes_

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Sep 19, 2013
Why not simply prefix the category names with 1, 2, 3, etc?

You could add something similar to account or folder ordering, but implementing this won't be trivial.
I thought about the prefixes, but I would prefer being able to order them like accounts and folders. I'll give it a try just for the fun of it. Thanks!

cklassen

Nov 14, 2021
Hello @M66B , when I recieve an encrypted mail and decrypt it with FairEmail, I get the message, that the mail isn't signed (see the attached screenshot). But when the mail is decrypted there is an icon left of the lock icon and when I tap on it, a message appears that the signature is valid. So the first message seems to be incorrect. I used version 1.1782.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    269.8 KB · Views: 19

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hello @M66B , when I recieve an encrypted mail and decrypt it with FairEmail, I get the message, that the mail isn't signed (see the attached screenshot). But when the mail is decrypted there is an icon left of the lock icon and when I tap on it, a message appears that the signature is valid. So the first message seems to be incorrect. I used version 1.1782.
Can you please contact me via here for a test version?

Reactions: mrrocketdog

cklassen

Nov 14, 2021
After contacting Marcel, he sent me a test version, where the issue is fixed. I tested it and the wrong message doesn't appear anymore. The fix will be included in the next release. Thanks Marcel!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
After contacting Marcel, he sent me a test version, where the issue is fixed. I tested it and the wrong message doesn't appear anymore. The fix will be included in the next release. Thanks Marcel!
The issue was that the signature is embedded in the encrypted message. For example old Outlook versions use this method, but the standard nowadays is to sign and encrypt in one go. The change is to check if there is a signature in the decrypted message and to suppress the notice in this case:

cklassen

Nov 14, 2021
@M66B , in the composing window there are three icons (see attached screenshot). Two of them are tap-able, one doesn't have a function. I would recommend to remove that one (red on the screenshot), because like it is now, it is not consistent. Although they have the same style, they don't have the same function. Additionally, when you remove it, there is one element less in the window and every UI element that isn't there means less mental work for users.

Attachments

• screenshot_compose.png
    screenshot_compose.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 32

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@M66B , in the composing window there are three icons (see attached screenshot). Two of them are tap-able, one doesn't have a function. I would recommend to remove that one (red on the screenshot), because like it is now, it is not consistent. Although they have the same style, they don't have the same function. Additionally, when you remove it, there is one element less in the window and every UI element that isn't there means less mental work for users.
Although I prefer minimalism, the icon is a hint about what the input field is about. The CC and BCC fields have a different icon. There is a hint text too, so I will give this some thought anyway.

cklassen

Nov 14, 2021
Although I prefer minimalism, the icon is a hint about what the input field is about. The CC and BCC fields have a different icon. There is a hint text too, so I will give this some thought anyway.
I saw that they have different icons. But the style is the same. They all have no borders, they have the same colors etc. and that let's users think, they are all tap-able or not tap-able. But users wouldn't think that they have different functions. If you choose to keep the icon for the To-field, I would recommend to redesign the To-icon or the other ones.

And when you give a hint for the To-field, it would be more consistent to add icons as hints for the subject and the sending address, too. But then you would have some more elements in the UI.

As I said, I would at least create a greater difference between the To-icon and the ones on the right side. One simple adjustment could be to edit the icons on the right so they look like the icons in the media bar at the bottom.

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
Is it possible to hide these buttons at the bottom of an email?
Screenshot_20211130-191331.jpg

I never use them but find myself accidentally clicking them frequently.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I saw that they have different icons. But the style is the same. They all have no borders, they have the same colors etc. and that let's users think, they are all tap-able or not tap-able. But users wouldn't think that they have different functions. If you choose to keep the icon for the To-field, I would recommend to redesign the To-icon or the other ones.

And when you give a hint for the To-field, it would be more consistent to add icons as hints for the subject and the sending address, too. But then you would have some more elements in the UI.

As I said, I would at least create a greater difference between the To-icon and the ones on the right side. One simple adjustment could be to edit the icons on the right so they look like the icons in the media bar at the bottom.
I will see what I can do.

Reactions: cklassen

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@cklassen how about using the accent color for the buttons at the end of the fields?

This won't change much for existing users (too many people hate change), but still improve things.

If you wish you can contact me for a test version with this to see how it looks like.

Top Liked Posts

There have been only bad reviews the last 24 hours, which isn't helping to motivate me to work on this project. I will work on other things instead as a consequence.
    Hi Marcel,

Remember last December when you said you wanted to slow down with FairEmail?
    Once every 2 weeks or once a month an update that is necessary for the app.
    And ignore the unjustified criticism in the Playstore.
    It's now January 26 and you have 20 updates already this year!!! and the Playstore works like a magnet on you.

The covid lockdown in the Netherlands is going off for the most part now.
    Theatre, museums and restaurants are reopening.
    I would say this is the moment.
    Go out with your life partner, family or relatives and do something fun again.
    FairEmail is perfect.
    The people in XDA use the program every day, are happy with it and enjoy its many features.
    They can do quite well without you.

Or, go talk to that company that wanted you as a programmer. Tell them your conditions and if they meet them and you have a good feeling about it then I would say give it a try, why not. If you don't like it afterwards then stop.

I am afraid that the fun of FairEmail will soon be gone and that would be a shame, because you really have created something beautiful.
    You should think more about yourself.

Thanks for FairEmail and of course Netguard.

With warm regards
    30jp
    Hi Marcel,

Remember last December when you said you wanted to slow down with FairEmail?
    Once every 2 weeks or once a month an update that is necessary for the app.
    And ignore the unjustified criticism in the Playstore.
    It's now January 26 and you have 20 updates already this year!!! and the Playstore works like a magnet on you.

The covid lockdown in the Netherlands is going off for the most part now.
    Theatre, museums and restaurants are reopening.
    I would say this is the moment.
    Go out with your life partner, family or relatives and do something fun again.
    FairEmail is perfect.
    The people in XDA use the program every day, are happy with it and enjoy its many features.
    They can do quite well without you.

Or, go talk to that company that wanted you as a programmer. Tell them your conditions and if they meet them and you have a good feeling about it then I would say give it a try, why not. If you don't like it afterwards then stop.

I am afraid that the fun of FairEmail will soon be gone and that would be a shame, because you really have created something beautiful.
    You should think more about yourself.

Thanks for FairEmail and of course Netguard.

With warm regards
    30jp
    Thanks.

If you look carefully, there have been no real updates, but only bug fixes and minor improvements. The new features were almost all added for my own convenience and shared with you.

Also, the Play store version is updated once a month only.

I have been on a trip for the past five days, so no worries about my "entertainment". There always have been options enough to go somewhere.

The job/project is something I just need to say "yes" to and can be as big or small as I want.
    There have been only bad reviews the last 24 hours, which isn't helping to motivate me to work on this project. I will work on other things instead as a consequence.
    I marked today's 2* and 3* reviews in the DE-playstore as unhelpful and the 1* review as inappropriate.
    Don't be disappointed by such reviews; they are just a random accumulation. In the last week (19.01-25.01.) there were 53 times 5*-reviews and 2 times 4* in the DE-playstore and otherwise none. That's an average of 4.96.

In the EN-playstore I marked today's strange 3* review as unhelpful. I had already marked the 1* review there from 24.01. as spam, and received an email confirmation from Google. Maybe it is possible to rate reviews from other regions after all? But maybe I'm wrong!
    Thank you for pointing me to the code. By excluding any other option I guess only this is left as a possible cause:
    android:excludeFromRecents="true"
    in

It sounds reasonable to me that something that is exluded from recents is also considered not to be suitable as beeing settable as a standard application.

Now I only need to find out how I can verify this. :)
    Exclude from recents (=recent apps screen) could be an explanation, but this can't be removed.
    Version 1.1802 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

@Mercified_rahul
    Version 1.1813 Epidexipteryx is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

Downloading attachments on demand (by tapping on it) will work again.
    Version 1.1808 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

There is a new share button above the mini gallery to share all images. Not all gallery / image viewer apps can accept this type of share. I like to hear for which image apps this works.

This is a release candidate for the next public Play store version.

Please report any problem you discover.

Edit: @heinhuiz the legend will be fixed in the next release:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/commit/6420b6ee254027af6ed3c882c5ef5645e530cce8

I am not feeling optimal today due to a booster vaccination.
    Version 1.1804 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

The main change is that there is a new option to check if a message was securely transported by all email servers. If this check is enabled and if this could be checked (not all servers insert the right headers/info), the authentication shield will be green (without this option enabled the shield will be green if DKIM/SPF/DMARC are okay).

The secure transport check can be enabled in the receive settings. To enable the shield, the option "Show authentication status indicator" in the display settings should be enabled.

Edit: existing messages will not be updated, so either 'resync' a single message or delete local messages and synchronize again by long pressing on a folder.
    Version 1.1805 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

A number of small things were improved and long screenshots were added (Android 12+). For a long (scrolling) screenshot exactly one message needs to be expanded. The long screenshot will contain this message (header+body) only (so, not the rest of the conversation) up to the length Android supports (for some reason there is a limit, maybe because to reduce memory usage).
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.