• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have been busy for days to find a hard to find bug and I am giving up for now due to a series of 1 star ratings for reasons which have nothing to do with the app at all. I am tired. Maybe another time. It feels like my effort doesn't matter anyway and a bug is in any case a good reason to rate bad.

Last edited:

orgshooter

Feb 1, 2008
Hello Marcel,
nowadays I got Service-Mails from my provider freenet, that I use an "outdated authentication method" named "CRAM MD5"!
How can I change this in the settings to "password, normal"?

Following the Service Message translated with deepL:

An obsolete authentication method was used here.

Access using CRAM MD5 will no longer be possible as of 03.12.21.

The CRAM MD5 authentication method is technically outdated and no longer meets the current security requirements for the transmission and verification of access data.

In the future, transmission will only be supported via TLS or STARTTLS encryption.

If you are using a current e-mail program, it will probably make the change automatically.

However, if you no longer have access to your mailbox after 03.12.21, please make the change yourself in the program settings.

Please use the following access data:

Server: mx.freenet.de
Protocol: IMAP
Username: your complete e-mail address
Password: as assigned by you
Authentication method: password, normal

IMAP port: 143
SMTP port: 587
Encryption: STARTTLS

or

IMAP port: 993
SMTP port: 465
Encryption: TLS (SSL)

Thanks

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Don't worry, have some rest and the solution will appear!
Unfortunately, software development is much harder than this. It is pretty rare that a solution presents itself. The Play store reviews of past night are not a motivation to continue looking into this either.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hello Marcel,
nowadays I got Service-Mails from my provider freenet, that I use an "outdated authentication method" named "CRAM MD5"!
How can I change this in the settings to "password, normal"?

Following the Service Message translated with deepL:

An obsolete authentication method was used here.

Access using CRAM MD5 will no longer be possible as of 03.12.21.

The CRAM MD5 authentication method is technically outdated and no longer meets the current security requirements for the transmission and verification of access data.

In the future, transmission will only be supported via TLS or STARTTLS encryption.

If you are using a current e-mail program, it will probably make the change automatically.

However, if you no longer have access to your mailbox after 03.12.21, please make the change yourself in the program settings.

Please use the following access data:

Server: mx.freenet.de
Protocol: IMAP
Username: your complete e-mail address
Password: as assigned by you
Authentication method: password, normal

IMAP port: 143
SMTP port: 587
Encryption: STARTTLS

or

IMAP port: 993
SMTP port: 465
Encryption: TLS (SSL)

Thanks
You can ignore this message. The app will automatically adapt to this change. IMHO the provider shouldn't bother people with this. I have had quite a lot of inquiries about this non issue.

The email server sends a list of possible authentication methods. The email client picks one which is supported by the client. So, the email provider needs to do one thing only: remove the authenticated method from the server list.

cklassen

Nov 14, 2021
@cklassen how about using the accent color for the buttons at the end of the fields?
I added a screenshot of your test version, so everyone can see how it looks like. In terms of consistency it's better because now everyone can see that the icons have different functions. It would be a good thing, if you could apply this change to the next release.
(too many people hate change)
I know. You can see that everytime Mozilla changes the UI of Firefox :D

Attachments

• compose_icons.jpg
    compose_icons.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 36

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
Unfortunately, software development is much harder than this. It is pretty rare that a solution presents itself. The Play store reviews of past night are not a motivation to continue looking into this either.
You may dislike this mindset, but sometimes a "won't fix" is okay too too if you deem it's not feasible (e.g. costs you more resources incl. stress and time than it's gain). Especially so, if it's a bug at some edge case most of your users won't be affected from.

My two cents. Don't overwork yourself in such cases and put your own health first, that includes mental health. Then check your to do list and see what has higher priority for you and the widest majority of your user base. Regardless of a few stupid reviews.

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
Hi, the app tells me that an email with sender from live.com is not found on server live.com. If I answer this email I get back an automatic reply that email could not be delivered. But if I login on my Web account, I can send this email without any problems. Any ideas on that?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi, the app tells me that an email with sender from live.com is not found on server live.com. If I answer this email I get back an automatic reply that email could not be delivered. But if I login on my Web account, I can send this email without any problems. Any ideas on that?
Please double check the email address.

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Reactions: topcaser

nubla

Sep 7, 2020
I have been busy for days to find a hard to find bug and I am giving up for now due to a series of 1 star ratings for reasons which have nothing to do with the app at all. I am tired. Maybe another time. It feels like my effort doesn't matter anyway and a bug is in any case a good reason to rate bad.
Sorry to hear, that's frustrating. Those 1 star ratings are ridiculous. Not to mention a lot of PEBCAK. Keep in mind they don't even register on the scale. Most positively love this app!

fairemail_reviews.png

Top Liked Posts

Version 1.1811c is available for XDA members now.

Download:
    https://bitbucket.org/M66B/fairemail-test/downloads/FairEmail-v1.1811c-github-release.apk

There are mini buttons for the last texts for which was searched too now.

All changes:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/compare/1.1811b...1.1811c?w=1
    Version 1.1812 Epidexipteryx is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases
    I don't think we will be extinct next year or so, unless unexpected things happen, but in that case it obviously want matter anymore.
    And if that happens, I would like to thank you for your support. Much love everyone ⚡

... What if it really happened?👀
    Didn't even notice you followed the alphabet. I hope we're not extinct by then.
    I don't think we will be extinct next year or so, unless unexpected things happen, but in that case it obviously want matter anymore.
    I like to hear suggestions for a new release name:

Hi,

I like those 2, but can't picked one between :

*Euskelosaurus*
    Euskelosaurus ("good leg lizard") (...). Fossils have only been recovered from the lower Elliot Formation in South Africa and Lesotho,[1] and in one locality in Zimbabwe.
    Its bones are robust and it had a graviportal limb arrangement, a key character trait of basal sauropodomorphs.

*Elopteryx*
    (...) found near Sînpetru, in what is now the Romanian region of Transylvania, some bone fragments of a small theropod.
    The genus name Elopteryx is from Ancient Greek helos (ἕλος), "marsh" + pteryx (πτέρυξ), "wing".

Edit
    This one is really interesting,
    Name 'catching' 😇
    Description with many level underlying...
    but not sure everyone will be cool with the 'pun' and 'seriousness' of the description 🙃
    *Epidexipteryx*
    The goal is to fix all known bugs in the current version (no knowns at this moment) and release it in the Play store publicly. After that I will put less effort into the project because adding more exotic features won't make many more people happy. The project will keep being maintained and supported though, but the time spent on support, currently a few hours each and every day, needs to go down somehow.
    We are already happy with the work you have done. And with each improvement you did, you made many of us even happier.

There's always room for improvement, FairEmail isn't perfect (cause nothing in the world can be perfect), but it's the one email app out there to be closest to perfectness and that's why we love using it and appreciate your work. Whether you keep it that way or add new functions, that's absolutely up to you, your available time and of course motivation.

As someone acting as a sysadmin in his free time, I know it's not easy maintaining something while also adding new things users wish. Tbh, I could've never worked to the extend you do. If I received as many complaints as you do, I'd have told my party colleagues that I don't even get paid for it and they can do it themselves if they think it's as easy as shouting things. Just keeping the system maintained and fixing any known problems isn't a small task in itself. Fortunately, "my users" are all people that know me somewhat personally, so we think of each other as humans and we all act to it.

It's quite similar yet different with FairEmail. You have much more users, the vast majority of them not even knowing you. So some a***ole reviewers don't even see a human face when thinking about Marcel Bokhorst. So they don't hesitate letting their fingers run wild without considering the human on the other side reading it and feeling punked after the hard work done just to help him.

They don't consider that just maintaining such an app is a tremendous work in itself considering the large set of functions you will have to maintain and keep up to date / secure. Let alone adding new functions and maintaining them too just to satisfy users which probably didn't even donate enough for you to enjoy a cup of coffee each with your life companion.

So I'll just give you my appreciation in their stead. FairEmail is great even if you don't add any more fancy options. Over the over 1k pages in this thread and many email conversations, you have already done enough for us. It's none of our place to complain about your choice to focus on maintaining the app only. We're happy for as long as FairEmail doesn't end up not maintained for a long time like K-9 was just until recently. And your statement makes clear that this won't happen. That's all we need to know for you to make us happy ;)
    Version 1.1802 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

@Mercified_rahul
    Version 1.1794 1.1795 1.1796 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/downlaod:
    Version 1.1804 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

The main change is that there is a new option to check if a message was securely transported by all email servers. If this check is enabled and if this could be checked (not all servers insert the right headers/info), the authentication shield will be green (without this option enabled the shield will be green if DKIM/SPF/DMARC are okay).

The secure transport check can be enabled in the receive settings. To enable the shield, the option "Show authentication status indicator" in the display settings should be enabled.

Edit: existing messages will not be updated, so either 'resync' a single message or delete local messages and synchronize again by long pressing on a folder.
    Version 1.1793 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/downlaod:

This version was released to fix a crash caused by recent changes.

@jw111 I have added a compact mode for accounts.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.