• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

La_Globule

Nov 6, 2007
In any case FairEmail isn't adding this keyword.
If you find the system in with/without the 'Sent' keyword, please let me know.
Ok, I found that the keyword Sent appears in FE unified sent folder when I send a mail from the webmail site of my mail provider.
I will deeply look into it for an unwished option set but I don't remember having seen something like that.
A question BTW: in FE, the word Sent is written on the third line in the message list. From where do you catch this info when you write it there? What is the info commonly put in this line?
Thanks for having a look.
No hurry, Marcel, take care first.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Ok, I found that the keyword Sent appears in FE unified sent folder when I send a mail from the webmail site of my mail provider.
I will deeply look into it for an unwished option set but I don't remember having seen something like that.
A question BTW: in FE, the word Sent is written on the third line in the message list. From where do you catch this info when you write it there? What is the info commonly put in this line?
Thanks for having a look.
No hurry, Marcel, take care first.
Should this "Sent" keyword be filtered (there is a blacklist in the app already, so it would be easy to do this) ?

The 'Sent" on the third line is the name/type of the sent messages folder.

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
Developers never have rest ;-)
It is okay with me, just not max energy.
Developers never have rest, they only have REST? :b

Feel free to take some time out when you are not feeling powered up. You are developing an app, not running national emergency services.

That said, I noticed something slightly annoying today, so see this as suggesting an improvement. When I press "edit as a new message" in the sent folder, the signature will be shown within the body. Is it possible to recognize the signature and remove it? Or would this possibly falsely remove parts of the main content too?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Developers never have rest, they only have REST? :b

Feel free to take some time out when you are not feeling powered up. You are developing an app, not running national emergency services.

That said, I noticed something slightly annoying today, so see this as suggesting an improvement. When I press "edit as a new message" in the sent folder, the signature will be shown within the body. Is it possible to recognize the signature and remove it? Or would this possibly falsely remove parts of the main content too?
"Edit as new" is meant to send a message again as it is. You can modify it and remove the signature if you wish, but IMHO the app shouldn't do this.

I don't know what you want to accomplish, but did you know that you can select a part of the message text before replying / forwarding? In fact the next version will keep the styling (bold, italic, quotes, etc) too because I have just added this.

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
"Edit as new" is meant to send a message again as it is. You can modify it and remove the signature if you wish, but IMHO the app shouldn't do this.

I don't know what you want to accomplish, but did you know that you can select a part of the message text before replying / forwarding? In fact the next version will keep the styling (bold, italic, quotes, etc) too because I have just added this.
My use case was as following:

I had to email some stuff to various media outlets. As the greetings vary for each person, I sent one mail at a time with the same text.

On second thought, I could have just disabled the signature below (instead of deleting manually and enabling the "add signature" checkbox below) as the body included the signature already after pressing "edit as new". So, you can just ignore my suggestion. Thanks for your response anyways!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
My use case was as following:

I had to email some stuff to various media outlets. As the greetings vary for each person, I sent one mail at a time with the same text.

On second thought, I could have just disabled the signature below (instead of deleting manually and enabling the "add signature" checkbox below) as the body included the signature already after pressing "edit as new". So, you can just ignore my suggestion. Thanks for your response anyways!
You could also consider to use a template for this.

I little undocumented trick for XDA members only: you can use these placeholders too, but please be aware that it won't always be correct (which is why it isn't a public feature):

Code:
$firstname$
$lastname$

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hotmail was launched in 1996 by Sabeer Bhatia and Jack Smith, and became one of the iconic tales of the dot-com boom when it was acquired by Microsoft in 1998 for $400 million.

Though Hotmail has since been eclipsed by Gmail in terms of number of users, it’s still a large service, with 300 million users, according to Microsoft. Google claims Gmail has 425 million users.

So why change?
Because on several occasions messages were not being delivered or you couldn't login. Not a problem in itself, but it will be when it takes Microsoft a week to recognize and fix an issue. Look through the Outlook support forums and you'll probably soon discover that support basically doesn't exist.

Still not convinced? Microsoft haven't been great regarding your privacy, which might be a bit of an understatement.

Still not convinced? Microsoft is known to permanently block accounts without telling you why and any option to appeal. This happened even to Microsoft employees, who couldn't recover their account either and lost photos of years. The EU is even making laws to forbid this practice.

In any case, for me there is enough reason to never ever use a Microsoft email account, unless it is about really unimportant messages.

I don't say that Gmail is better regarding privacy, but it most certainly is considering uptime.

If you care about your privacy, check this FAQ about more privacy friendly providers:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq112

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
Because on several occasions messages were not being delivered or you couldn't login. Not a problem in itself, but it will be when it takes Microsoft a week to recognize and fix an issue. Look through the Outlook support forums and you'll probably soon discover that support basically doesn't exist.

An addition from my own experience. Even if you find some support articles, they are most likely outdated and not much helpful anymore.

I have set up and am managing the mail servers of the German Lib Dems. One of the first things I went for was to add support for auto configuration, and Marcel back then helped me by pointing me to RFC 6186 and Thunderbird Autoconfiguration. Those two work like a charm btw, thanks Marcel.

So the next challenge was enabling Auto Discover for Outlook users. I found articles by Microsoft and followed all the necessary steps, but nada. Doesn't work. Then I checked out the web server logs just to realize that Outlook is sending HTTP requests to a different URL than made public by Microsoft. But even modifying everything accordingly didn't change anything. I gave up in the end and told the federal board that it won't be supported.

For those interested in the details (or manage their own servers and want a how to on auto configuration): https://doc.ld-online.net/e-mail/auto-discover

If you want things to just work, Microsoft Outlook (both the email client and email service) won't be the best choice. The Outlook app even implements standardized elements non-standard (e.g. S/MIME). So, do yourself a favor and don't use Outlook.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I hope you all know that FairEmail is a "disaster" and that about 2% of the app isn't free to use? If that is a problem for you, please switch to a completely "free", featureless and basically unsupported app from one of the big "vendors". This way you'll be sure your behavior will be monitored too.

Reactions: Mercified_rahul

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
What are you blathering about.
Why do you think that Fair email is a disaster, its one the best email programs I have used.
Take a few days off and relax.
I'm pretty sure that Marcel just quoted a Playstore review again - without marking it accordingly. And I think it's good that he can see such reviews with a certain humor by now.

L1p1c1

Aug 9, 2016
heaven

Still not convinced? Microsoft haven't been great regarding your privacy, which might be a bit of an understatement.

Still not convinced? Microsoft is known to permanently block accounts without telling you why and any option to appeal. This happened even to Microsoft employees, who couldn't recover their account either and lost photos of years. The EU is even making laws to forbid this practice.

In any case, for me there is enough reason to never ever use a Microsoft email account, unless it is about really unimportant messages.

I don't say that Gmail is better regarding privacy, but it most certainly is considering uptime.

If you care about your privacy, check this FAQ about more privacy friendly providers:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq112
Bro we understand you take your money from google playstore paid version and its ok to defend google against microsoft but there is no difference between them, you just embarass yourself like a supporter of privacy and your app.

Its like im working at domestic abuse help center and at home im beating my wife and children.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Bro we understand you take your money from google playstore paid version and its ok to defend google against microsoft but there is no difference between them, you just embarass yourself like a supporter of privacy and your app.

Its like im working at domestic abuse help center and at home im beating my wife and children.
Like with discussions about Covid, I stick to the facts and the fact is that there have been embarrassing long outages of Outlook and not Gmail. There have been a number of incidents with Gmail, but they were all relatively fast fixed. Please do not read in this that I promote Google, I do not. They scan your email for advertising purposes and what's more. I do advice against using Outlook though, based on facts and no signs or even promises of improvement.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
You could also consider to use a template for this.

I little undocumented trick for XDA members only: you can use these placeholders too, but please be aware that it won't always be correct (which is why it isn't a public feature):

Code:
$firstname$
$lastname$
Am I correct in assuming that the placeholders only work when using the template to reply and not also when composing?

Top Liked Posts

Thank you for pointing me to the code. By excluding any other option I guess only this is left as a possible cause:
    android:excludeFromRecents="true"
    in

It sounds reasonable to me that something that is exluded from recents is also considered not to be suitable as beeing settable as a standard application.

Now I only need to find out how I can verify this. :)
    Exclude from recents (=recent apps screen) could be an explanation, but this can't be removed.
    The only silly question is the question not being asked!

It is about the reviews of others. You can vote up (thumb up) or vote down (tumb down) review of others.
    Thanks for the hint.

I just performed a quick round of "thumb-up" reviews, and what I see is a really great feedback on FairEmail!

My favourite sentence of today was "... 5 stelle sono poche" = "... 5 stars are not enough" ... Well said!

Keep up the good work, Marcel!
    And 'mark as spam' too 💡🙃
    Yep, did that, too: some people just don't put effort learning a new app, but it is their problem, not of the app!
    Version 1.1802 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

@Mercified_rahul
    Version 1.1813 Epidexipteryx is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

Downloading attachments on demand (by tapping on it) will work again.
    Version 1.1808 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

There is a new share button above the mini gallery to share all images. Not all gallery / image viewer apps can accept this type of share. I like to hear for which image apps this works.

This is a release candidate for the next public Play store version.

Please report any problem you discover.

Edit: @heinhuiz the legend will be fixed in the next release:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/commit/6420b6ee254027af6ed3c882c5ef5645e530cce8

I am not feeling optimal today due to a booster vaccination.
    Version 1.1804 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

The main change is that there is a new option to check if a message was securely transported by all email servers. If this check is enabled and if this could be checked (not all servers insert the right headers/info), the authentication shield will be green (without this option enabled the shield will be green if DKIM/SPF/DMARC are okay).

The secure transport check can be enabled in the receive settings. To enable the shield, the option "Show authentication status indicator" in the display settings should be enabled.

Edit: existing messages will not be updated, so either 'resync' a single message or delete local messages and synchronize again by long pressing on a folder.
    Version 1.1805 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

A number of small things were improved and long screenshots were added (Android 12+). For a long (scrolling) screenshot exactly one message needs to be expanded. The long screenshot will contain this message (header+body) only (so, not the rest of the conversation) up to the length Android supports (for some reason there is a limit, maybe because to reduce memory usage).
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.