[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
You can also reply with a template.

Note that you can make one or more templates favorite, which will show them directly in the answer popup menu.
Yes, I know, but that doesn't use so much here in my case, because I usually use templates here not for replying, but for composing, e.g. for my numerous birthday greeting emails.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Reactions: M66B
I like to hear suggestions for a new release name:

Hi,

I like those 2, but can't picked one between :

*Euskelosaurus*
Euskelosaurus ("good leg lizard") (...). Fossils have only been recovered from the lower Elliot Formation in South Africa and Lesotho,[1] and in one locality in Zimbabwe.
Its bones are robust and it had a graviportal limb arrangement, a key character trait of basal sauropodomorphs.

*Elopteryx*
(...) found near Sînpetru, in what is now the Romanian region of Transylvania, some bone fragments of a small theropod.
The genus name Elopteryx is from Ancient Greek helos (ἕλος), "marsh" + pteryx (πτέρυξ), "wing".

Edit
This one is really interesting,
Name 'catching' 😇
Description with many level underlying...
but not sure everyone will be cool with the 'pun' and 'seriousness' of the description 🙃
*Epidexipteryx*

Last edited:
Reactions: WiraHy and M66B

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Since downloading attachments on demand doesn't appear to work anymore due to a recent change, version 1.1812 isn't available for downloading anymore. I will fix this soon.

Reactions: husky61 and ROO3VER

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Version 1.1814 is available on Bitbucket now. which means that there won't be an 'update' notification.

Since the protocol to set messages as seen (read), flagged (starred) and deleted (permanent deletion) has been changed, this is a somewhat EXPERIMENTAL RELEASE. If email is very important to you, please skip this version. Of course everything was tested, but there might be unforeseen side effects.

Download:
https://bitbucket.org/M66B/fairemail-test/downloads/FairEmail-v1.1814a-github-release.apk

Changelog:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

All changes:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/compare/1.1813...1.1814?w=1

Support for the Sensitivity header was added, and the value (personal, private, confidential) will be displayed in the message header (see the legend) and can be set via the send dialog (long press the send button if needed).

Support for the Sensitivity header was added, and the value (personal, private, confidential) will be displayed in the message header (see the legend) and can be set via the send dialog (long press the send button if needed).

Hi everyone,

Maybe off topic, but about the sensitivity header and the RFC.
I tried to read the document but not sure about the outcome :
- is there a hierarchical relationship between the 3 values ?
or it's ''just'' a tag ?
- how do the server handle (if it supported) any message with that header set ? From a user perspective.
Do the a user could or not be able to do an action according to it ?

Thanks

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi everyone,

Maybe off topic, but about the sensitivity header and the RFC.
I tried to read the document but not sure about the outcome :
- is there a hierarchical relationship between the 3 values ?
or it's ''just'' a tag ?
- how do the server handle (if it supported) any message with that header set ? From a user perspective.
Do the a user could or not be able to do an action according to it ?

Thanks
It are 'tags', used by some companies.

For now, FairEmail does nothing with the headers, except add them when sending a message and show them for received messages.

As I see it (I might be wrong):
  • personal: only for you
  • private: for you and close persons
  • confidential: within an company/organization/department

Sensitive messages *should* not be (automatically) forwarded, but I don't think it is a good idea to enforce this in the app.

This is the best article I could find about this subject:

Top Liked Posts

Please understand that mainly Google caused this "event". There is some good news though because a real human contacted me outside the usual Google "flow". There will be a phone call Tuesday.
    Goedemorgen, Marcel. I hope your girlfriend is getting better and that you don't suffer too much from all the recent events and the current situation.

I just like to share with you what Mike Kuketz (as far as I'm aware you both have been in personal contact already; and for those who don't know Mike, for me personally he's the very best privacy expert in Germany and also part-time working für the "Privacy Protection Officer of the German state Baden-Württemberg") posted on his Mastodon. Translation:
    "About 90% of the apps in the Google Play Store are comparable to spyware. Does Google do anything? No. But with the open source email app #FairEmail, Google suddenly unpacks a spyware policy. You can't imagine something like this... "
    I use this Mail Client since a year or so as free version and it's a giant. I rated a 5* today and hope this helps a little bit. Regarding the 3 or less star receptions, I have to say that these are very rare and most times from simple people, you can't avoid this. The rating is at 4.8 and HELL, this is fantastic. I don't know, if any other app with many ratings and such a good sum exist anyway. Please, @M66B , don't make so much pressure for yourself. All the best to your girlfriend and you. Have a nice day. YOUR APP IS AWESOME !!!
    Google responded with:

I completely understand why you'd want that. However, I’m not able to provide any more detail or a better answer to your question. In our previous email, I made sure to include all the information available to me.

We highly recommend you pay attention towards User Data policy.

If you have a different question about the Play Developer Console, please let me know

So, I turned up the volume a bit:

Every message you've sent so far has been avoiding answering questions you are required to answer according to EU regulation 2019/1150, which is about transparency and fair business. I hope you are aware that each evasion makes legal arguments accordingly stronger. It can result in legal trouble for Google as a company, but can also cause trouble for you as an employee or contractor because you failed to escalate a problem when that was clearly necessary. So, I am asking you again to be fully transparent and to answer these simple questions:
    1. Which contact info is being sent?
    2. When is it being sent?
    3. To where is it being sent?
    If you can't, you should escalate to someone who can.
    I registered just for posting this. First a big THANKS for what you did for us! I am using FairEmail on multiple devices which I am responsible for, so I am very sorry for what happened to you. That's completely undeserved.

Being a developer of open source software myself, I know how frustrating and demotivating negative feedback can be. Fortunately I am not relying on Google, but I have had my share of bad experiences too. Some of them killed all motivation for quite a long time. But always eventually the developer in me kicked in and I started developing again. Fingers crossed that you find a way to overcome the current situation somehow too. And all the best to your girlfriend!
    @Dr-Bob I've removed the post you made 8 minutes ago. Please refer to a message by my esteemed team mate @Badger50 in your inbox/conversations.
    The balance

The few euros I receive in return for what's being offered and the fun of developing things are no compensation for the thousands of questions I answer every month, for unfair Play store reviews and for stress about unclear Google requirements.

The verdict

I have not reached a conclusion yet, but the question I am asking myself is why I would continue with the project. Maybe it is the moment, with a sick girlfriend, but I currently don't see it.

Alternatives

GitHub only version: 98% of the audience will be lost.

Strip down the app: more bad reviews

Paid support: more bad reviews

Stop answering questions: more bad reviews

Bad reviews will shift the balance only in the wrong direction.

Core problem

Google. There is no sensible way to appeal in case of bad reviews or alleged violations of Play store policies.

People. They are generally pretty demanding and on the other hand everything should be free.

Myself. An old and grumpy developer, who maybe should retired.

Input is welcome.
    I paid for this software and donated several times, so what would I gain by trolling? I share my opinion with you and get trolled by you because you don't like it? It is much sadder how grateful my money is accepted although I would troll. Would you rather be lied to and cheated instead or how do I have to imagine this? Honestly, I do not care if you like my opinion or not. I stand by it and think my part.
    I feel responsible, but what is your problem exactly? The app as-is works fine and it will keep working fine for the foreseeable future. I even published an update in this thread yesterday for an ugly problem introduced in recent versions. Please tell me what is wrong and I will see what I can do. Please be nice and you'll be responded to in the same way. There is already enough hate on this planet.

Please understand that mainly Google caused this "event". There is some good news though because a real human contacted me outside the usual Google "flow". There will be a phone call Tuesday.
    On special request by PM of OP, Marcel aka @M66B, I have to inform you as follows:
    Can you please write in each XDA thread that the GitHub repos have been restored?
    Marcel, I know you can't respond here but personally I hope that this isn't your final decision.
    Thread re-opened on request of OP @M66B who allowed me to share his PM with you:

Can you please open all threads again?

This is to give people a chance to discuss and to help each other. It doesn't mean I will resume development though.
    I like to say something about the code quality because there were some comments about this.

The code quality is far from perfect, but on the other hand the app is pretty stable and functional. I refactored stuff rather often, but if the one man army needs to choose between significant rewrites, likely causing bugs and instability, and fixing a know issue when reformatting lists, what is it gonna be? (One of the few known problems)

Any developer would do things differently when starting over. Also, a project like this isn't only about pure code quality. It isn't a lab, but a real world application.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.