[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Do you see such a development worldwide? Because here in the German Playstore, FairEmail currently has a rating of 4.9 (after having been at 4.8 before).
German people are generally more reasonable than most people, at least in my experience, which is of course by definition subjective. The average (word wide) Play store rating have been increasing slowly last month, but it is going down rather fast again last week.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
German people are generally more reasonable than most people, at least in my experience, which is of course by definition subjective. The average (word wide) Play store rating have been increasing slowly last month, but it is going down rather fast again last week.
That's a shame, but I can only rate the reviews in the German Playstore.

nadir husain

Aug 31, 2019
And as you know Marcel I am on the early access version and the production version isnot available here in Pakistan . Actually not available in most parts of Asia. Is there a reason for that?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
And as you know Marcel I am on the early access version and the production version isnot available here in Pakistan . Actually not available in most parts of Asia. Is there a reason for that?
The Play store rating would go down very fast if the app was available in Asia. This is something I learned from NetGuard and therefore based on facts.

Reactions: nadir husain

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The messages I received today say that I need to take the nice job offer and minimize the effort I put into my open source projects. It will likely make me happier.

It isn't good, but I can understand why many independent developers already gave up. It is hard to deal with people who jump to conclusions after looking one minute at an app and say it is ****e. I am afraid that most serious apps will available from big vendors only in the near future, which probably won't be good for your privacy.

I will keep maintaining the app and there will keep being support if you ask nicely, although it will be time limited.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Actually, I had thought that the color stripes that you have in the template overview would then also be seen next to the template name when you insert one via the three-point menu. Unfortunately, this is not (yet?) the case.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Actually, I had thought that the color stripes that you have in the template overview would then also be seen next to the template name when you insert one via the three-point menu. Unfortunately, this is not (yet?) the case.
It does for me, so it should work for you too?

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
No, unfortunately does not happen here (Android 11) - the templates are available for selection without the colored side stripes.
Edit: I sent you per mail two screenshots

I have a Nokia in the Google One program with Android 11. It works fine here, I see the corresponding template color in the template selection when composing a new message.

Please make sure you have explicitly clicked on "save" after selecting the template color in the template settings. Some errors have a simpler reason than one thinks of, happens to all of us from time to time 😅

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
I have a Nokia in the Google One program with Android 11. It works fine here, I see the corresponding template color in the template selection when composing a new message.

Please make sure you have explicitly clicked on "save" after selecting the template color in the template settings. Some errors have a simpler reason than one thinks of, happens to all of us from time to time 😅
Thanks for your feedback. The template is saved with color - I see the color also in the template overview.

Edit: Ah, on a newly created test template I see the color too.

Edit2:
If a template is marked as a favorite, the color is not displayed during insertion.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkasimd

mitch44

Sep 9, 2011
I have a question for adding an additional gmail account. I have a main account which is also used to sync with my phone. For the 2nd one I don't want to sync contacts, calender etc. So what I've read here and in the faq I need to go with an app password to avoid an on device account. But what happens when i manually add the gmail account as imap account. Will the account also be an on device account and start sync my contacts, calender etc. after I have added it? An on device account wouldn't be a problem for me, but I don't want that sync function. Account is only needed to read emails.
Sorry for the dumb question, but I thought I ask here before I add the account an all my stuff gets synced to the account.

tl;dr
Is an app password the only way to avoid sync (contacts, calender, etc) when adding a 2nd gmail account?

Top Liked Posts

Version 1.1901 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

This version fixes all reported bugs and there is a small behavior change: scrolling to the end of a list or message will show the compose or answer button now, without needing to scroll in the other direction again.

Google's privacy and policy team confirmed the approval of the app. For more news, please see here.
    Dear Marcel,

I've only discovered the various drama that have affected both your personal and dev lives because I hadn't been on this forum for months and hadn't updated FE for quite some time (FE is so good and already satisfies my needs well enough that I don't feel the need to upgrade too often). So reading backwards through 40+ pages of this thread was a shock to me.

First, I hope your GF keeps recovering. Life in good health is so precious.

Second, I want to reiterate my strong support to you. FE is by far the best email client out there. I couldn't manage my multiple accounts without it and would be quite desperate/sad should its support end. And you Marcel are the nicest and most dedicated dev I've ever "met" either virtually (through public forums such as XDA) or in person (at my workplace). So, whatever the next steps I want to warmly thank you!

I hope you'll be able to learn how to become insensitive (or less sensitive) to unfair negative comments (this earth is full of as***les and you have no control over this). You should only feed yourself with positive energy received from all the good people who love and respect you and your fantastic work.

You're having a strong positive impact on people: not only the daily happy users of your apps, but also now beyond. Your story has been in the media, and now it's seems that some political parties or lobbies could use your story to encourage the EU increase their support towards independent dev, FOSS, etc...
    So now you're reaching a new iconic status, and you'll have to learn to live with it! 😇😉

Sending more positive energy ❤️❤️❤️ from France
    Thanks.

My girlfriend is slowly recovering, although frustratingly slow (especially for herself).

I never wanted an "iconic status", and only wanted to help people protect their privacy because in my opinion this was and still is necessary, but I guess it is what it is and that I need to deal with it now. Maybe it helps to increase awareness about privacy matters though, which would be a good side.

I like to thank the many people who have been rather supportive last week. This is the main reason why I am continuing.
    Version 1.1901 has been released to the Play Store as a "production" version after confirmation from Google's privacy and policy team. It may take a few hours or more before FairEmail is available again worldwide in the Play Store.

https://faircode.eu/faq.html
    Dear Marcel,

I've only discovered the various drama that have affected both your personal and dev lives because I hadn't been on this forum for months and hadn't updated FE for quite some time (FE is so good and already satisfies my needs well enough that I don't feel the need to upgrade too often). So reading backwards through 40+ pages of this thread was a shock to me.

First, I hope your GF keeps recovering. Life in good health is so precious.

Second, I want to reiterate my strong support to you. FE is by far the best email client out there. I couldn't manage my multiple accounts without it and would be quite desperate/sad should its support end. And you Marcel are the nicest and most dedicated dev I've ever "met" either virtually (through public forums such as XDA) or in person (at my workplace). So, whatever the next steps I want to warmly thank you!

I hope you'll be able to learn how to become insensitive (or less sensitive) to unfair negative comments (this earth is full of as***les and you have no control over this). You should only feed yourself with positive energy received from all the good people who love and respect you and your fantastic work.

You're having a strong positive impact on people: not only the daily happy users of your apps, but also now beyond. Your story has been in the media, and now it's seems that some political parties or lobbies could use your story to encourage the EU increase their support towards independent dev, FOSS, etc...
    So now you're reaching a new iconic status, and you'll have to learn to live with it! 😇😉

Sending more positive energy ❤️❤️❤️ from France
    So, how do I deal with reviews like this?

I would like to have seen a reason and even better being contacted for help, but instead it is just shooting down and not getting any chance.

In any case, this is why I am still a bit hesitant to restore the app in the Play store, which I will do probably anyway, possible at the end of this day or tomorrow morning.
    Ignore.
    If they don't say why FairEmail is so bad, just ignore it.
    Or give a standard answer along the lines of:
    "Dear .... I'm sorry you're not happy with FairEmail, but if you don't explain why FairEmail is so bad, then I can't help you as the developer of the app.
    Too bad because I would have loved to do that.
    Sincerely"

Stay friendly and keep it short and sweet.
    New people who want to use FairEmail and read this think, hey stupid review with friendly helpful response from the developer. I want to try that app.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    Version 1.1901 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

This version fixes all reported bugs and there is a small behavior change: scrolling to the end of a list or message will show the compose or answer button now, without needing to scroll in the other direction again.

Google's privacy and policy team confirmed the approval of the app. For more news, please see here.
    The balance

The few euros I receive in return for what's being offered and the fun of developing things are no compensation for the thousands of questions I answer every month, for unfair Play store reviews and for stress about unclear Google requirements.

The verdict

I have not reached a conclusion yet, but the question I am asking myself is why I would continue with the project. Maybe it is the moment, with a sick girlfriend, but I currently don't see it.

Alternatives

GitHub only version: 98% of the audience will be lost.

Strip down the app: more bad reviews

Paid support: more bad reviews

Stop answering questions: more bad reviews

Bad reviews will shift the balance only in the wrong direction.

Core problem

Google. There is no sensible way to appeal in case of bad reviews or alleged violations of Play store policies.

People. They are generally pretty demanding and on the other hand everything should be free.

Myself. An old and grumpy developer, who maybe should retired.

Input is welcome.
    I paid for this software and donated several times, so what would I gain by trolling? I share my opinion with you and get trolled by you because you don't like it? It is much sadder how grateful my money is accepted although I would troll. Would you rather be lied to and cheated instead or how do I have to imagine this? Honestly, I do not care if you like my opinion or not. I stand by it and think my part.
    I feel responsible, but what is your problem exactly? The app as-is works fine and it will keep working fine for the foreseeable future. I even published an update in this thread yesterday for an ugly problem introduced in recent versions. Please tell me what is wrong and I will see what I can do. Please be nice and you'll be responded to in the same way. There is already enough hate on this planet.

Please understand that mainly Google caused this "event". There is some good news though because a real human contacted me outside the usual Google "flow". There will be a phone call Tuesday.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.