[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Do you see such a development worldwide? Because here in the German Playstore, FairEmail currently has a rating of 4.9 (after having been at 4.8 before).
German people are generally more reasonable than most people, at least in my experience, which is of course by definition subjective. The average (word wide) Play store rating have been increasing slowly last month, but it is going down rather fast again last week.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
German people are generally more reasonable than most people, at least in my experience, which is of course by definition subjective. The average (word wide) Play store rating have been increasing slowly last month, but it is going down rather fast again last week.
That's a shame, but I can only rate the reviews in the German Playstore.

nadir husain

Aug 31, 2019
And as you know Marcel I am on the early access version and the production version isnot available here in Pakistan . Actually not available in most parts of Asia. Is there a reason for that?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
And as you know Marcel I am on the early access version and the production version isnot available here in Pakistan . Actually not available in most parts of Asia. Is there a reason for that?
The Play store rating would go down very fast if the app was available in Asia. This is something I learned from NetGuard and therefore based on facts.

Reactions: nadir husain

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The messages I received today say that I need to take the nice job offer and minimize the effort I put into my open source projects. It will likely make me happier.

It isn't good, but I can understand why many independent developers already gave up. It is hard to deal with people who jump to conclusions after looking one minute at an app and say it is ****e. I am afraid that most serious apps will available from big vendors only in the near future, which probably won't be good for your privacy.

I will keep maintaining the app and there will keep being support if you ask nicely, although it will be time limited.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Actually, I had thought that the color stripes that you have in the template overview would then also be seen next to the template name when you insert one via the three-point menu. Unfortunately, this is not (yet?) the case.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Actually, I had thought that the color stripes that you have in the template overview would then also be seen next to the template name when you insert one via the three-point menu. Unfortunately, this is not (yet?) the case.
It does for me, so it should work for you too?

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
No, unfortunately does not happen here (Android 11) - the templates are available for selection without the colored side stripes.
Edit: I sent you per mail two screenshots

I have a Nokia in the Google One program with Android 11. It works fine here, I see the corresponding template color in the template selection when composing a new message.

Please make sure you have explicitly clicked on "save" after selecting the template color in the template settings. Some errors have a simpler reason than one thinks of, happens to all of us from time to time 😅

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
I have a Nokia in the Google One program with Android 11. It works fine here, I see the corresponding template color in the template selection when composing a new message.

Please make sure you have explicitly clicked on "save" after selecting the template color in the template settings. Some errors have a simpler reason than one thinks of, happens to all of us from time to time 😅
Thanks for your feedback. The template is saved with color - I see the color also in the template overview.

Edit: Ah, on a newly created test template I see the color too.

Edit2:
If a template is marked as a favorite, the color is not displayed during insertion.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkasimd

mitch44

Sep 9, 2011
I have a question for adding an additional gmail account. I have a main account which is also used to sync with my phone. For the 2nd one I don't want to sync contacts, calender etc. So what I've read here and in the faq I need to go with an app password to avoid an on device account. But what happens when i manually add the gmail account as imap account. Will the account also be an on device account and start sync my contacts, calender etc. after I have added it? An on device account wouldn't be a problem for me, but I don't want that sync function. Account is only needed to read emails.
Sorry for the dumb question, but I thought I ask here before I add the account an all my stuff gets synced to the account.

tl;dr
Is an app password the only way to avoid sync (contacts, calender, etc) when adding a 2nd gmail account?

Top Liked Posts

I paid for this software and donated several times, so what would I gain by trolling? I share my opinion with you and get trolled by you because you don't like it? It is much sadder how grateful my money is accepted although I would troll. Would you rather be lied to and cheated instead or how do I have to imagine this? Honestly, I do not care if you like my opinion or not. I stand by it and think my part.
    I feel responsible, but what is your problem exactly? The app as-is works fine and it will keep working fine for the foreseeable future. I even published an update in this thread yesterday for an ugly problem introduced in recent versions. Please tell me what is wrong and I will see what I can do. Please be nice and you'll be responded to in the same way. There is already enough hate on this planet.

Please understand that mainly Google caused this "event". There is some good news though because a real human contacted me outside the usual Google "flow". There will be a phone call Tuesday.
    Sorry but I could never use K9.

I have a response to this comment.
    "Would it be an option to distribute the app on GitHub, F-Droid, etc only?
    About 99% of the people using the app download it from the Play store."

Couldn't this be true about most apps but those apps not in the Play Store aren't dead? Example Newpipe.

The only reason I continue downloading it from the Play Store is to keep my purchased license. I then pull the updates from GitHub. Is it possible that the majority of those downloads were to be able to purchase the Pro license using Google? We also have to take into account too that there are users who don't know about F-droid or GitHub and those two would be counted in the 99% of the Play Store.
    The statistics say 500,000+ Play store downloads and ~2000 GitHub downloads. Let's say F-Droid is good for another 2000 downloads. So, less than 1% of the downloads is outside of the Play store.

Maybe, just maybe I will go for a model without the Play store, without Dr Bob and fellows, but I need to think about a new form and the new balance first. Of course my girlfriend must be recovered fully first as well.
    I think this is a fair question: can you please uninstall the app, install the Gmail app and go away?
    Hi Marcel
    Please stop with Google.
    This is not going well.
    When I look at the latest posts here it's again about 1 star and about Google's policies.
    Google doesn't change and it doesn't make you happier.
    I think quitting Google will bring you a lot more peace of mind.
    Because now you're annoyed about it again.
    With Github and F-Droid you have more serious users. Users who have made a conscious choice.
    That leaves you with 2% of your users and probably a few more % who switch from Google to Github.
    Fewer users, trolls, policies, stars, but more peace and fun.
    Take more distance, you don't have to get 3 new updates every week.
    Don't put so many hours into it.
    The apps are fine.
    Sit back and enjoy the many nice comments here on XDA, that is certainly something to be proud of.
    Sincerely, 30jp
    Thread cleaned!!

Well now, that was fun! After reading through the last 6 pages, I have cleaned the thread of all the disrespectful posts and replies I could find, and edited a few others.
    Just a friendly FYI, while I understand the feeling of wanting to reply to disrespectful and rude posts, the XDA Mod Staff would be most grateful if you would just report these matters
    and allow us to respond accordingly, rather than replying and creating a larger brush fire for us to extinguish. (y) ;)

Let us please return to "On Topic" and polite discussion out of respect for the Developer and his thread shall we. I thank you all very much for your cooperation, and a pleasant day to all.

-Regards: Badger50
    The balance

The few euros I receive in return for what's being offered and the fun of developing things are no compensation for the thousands of questions I answer every month, for unfair Play store reviews and for stress about unclear Google requirements.

The verdict

I have not reached a conclusion yet, but the question I am asking myself is why I would continue with the project. Maybe it is the moment, with a sick girlfriend, but I currently don't see it.

Alternatives

GitHub only version: 98% of the audience will be lost.

Strip down the app: more bad reviews

Paid support: more bad reviews

Stop answering questions: more bad reviews

Bad reviews will shift the balance only in the wrong direction.

Core problem

Google. There is no sensible way to appeal in case of bad reviews or alleged violations of Play store policies.

People. They are generally pretty demanding and on the other hand everything should be free.

Myself. An old and grumpy developer, who maybe should retired.

Input is welcome.
    On special request by PM of OP, Marcel aka @M66B, I have to inform you as follows:
    Can you please write in each XDA thread that the GitHub repos have been restored?
    Marcel, I know you can't respond here but personally I hope that this isn't your final decision.
    I paid for this software and donated several times, so what would I gain by trolling? I share my opinion with you and get trolled by you because you don't like it? It is much sadder how grateful my money is accepted although I would troll. Would you rather be lied to and cheated instead or how do I have to imagine this? Honestly, I do not care if you like my opinion or not. I stand by it and think my part.
    I feel responsible, but what is your problem exactly? The app as-is works fine and it will keep working fine for the foreseeable future. I even published an update in this thread yesterday for an ugly problem introduced in recent versions. Please tell me what is wrong and I will see what I can do. Please be nice and you'll be responded to in the same way. There is already enough hate on this planet.

Please understand that mainly Google caused this "event". There is some good news though because a real human contacted me outside the usual Google "flow". There will be a phone call Tuesday.
    Thread re-opened on request of OP @M66B who allowed me to share his PM with you:

Can you please open all threads again?

This is to give people a chance to discuss and to help each other. It doesn't mean I will resume development though.
    I like to say something about the code quality because there were some comments about this.

The code quality is far from perfect, but on the other hand the app is pretty stable and functional. I refactored stuff rather often, but if the one man army needs to choose between significant rewrites, likely causing bugs and instability, and fixing a know issue when reformatting lists, what is it gonna be? (One of the few known problems)

Any developer would do things differently when starting over. Also, a project like this isn't only about pure code quality. It isn't a lab, but a real world application.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.