[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have a question for adding an additional gmail account. I have a main account which is also used to sync with my phone. For the 2nd one I don't want to sync contacts, calender etc. So what I've read here and in the faq I need to go with an app password to avoid an on device account. But what happens when i manually add the gmail account as imap account. Will the account also be an on device account and start sync my contacts, calender etc. after I have added it? An on device account wouldn't be a problem for me, but I don't want that sync function. Account is only needed to read emails.
Sorry for the dumb question, but I thought I ask here before I add the account an all my stuff gets synced to the account.

tl;dr
Is an app password the only way to avoid sync (contacts, calender, etc) when adding a 2nd gmail account?
Using the quick setup wizard, other provider, and an app password is what you want, and will synchronize email only.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I think 99% of the settings needs to be removed and that the appearance and behavior of the app should be made similar to the Gmail app.

crypta

I think 99% of the settings needs to be removed and that the appearance and behavior of the app should be made similar to the Gmail app.
So hide them for normal user.
Removing them, would negate everything you did so far for every user supporting you since the beginning. Also it would level yet another app to corporate crap. Your app is unique in a positive way..at least for people who are able to understand...sadly..a minority.

I think I understand your reasons for this thought. But then again. What for did you go the long walk you've already walked in your life?

Also, I do have some.. behavior to report:
If zooming a mail, photos won't increase if the maximum width of the screen is reached. For people like me, pictures are still to small and bigger text doesn't help to see the picture better ;).

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Also, I do have some.. behavior to report:
If zooming a mail, photos won't increase if the maximum width of the screen is reached. For people like me, pictures are still to small and bigger text doesn't help to see the picture better ;).
It isn't possible to both zoom text with word wrapping and to zoom images beyond the width.

If you want to zoom an image, tap on it to open it in an image viewer.

mitch44

Sep 9, 2011
Using the quick setup wizard, other provider, and an app password is what you want, and will synchronize email only.
Thank you. Just to be sure that I've understood it correct. An app password is the only way to avoid a sync? I also use YouTube Vanced and the on device account (microg) does not have to possibility to sync. Therefore I asked myself if the same would be possible (on device account without sync). But maybe this is related to microg which is an "abstraction" of the google services.

PS: I know that this "restrictions" aren't related to your app. It is Googles design. Keep up your good work. Will definetly go for pro version.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Thank you. Just to be sure that I've understood it correct. An app password is the only way to avoid a sync? I also use YouTube Vanced and the on device account (microg) does not have to possibility to sync. Therefore I asked myself if the same would be possible (on device account without sync). But maybe this is related to microg which is an "abstraction" of the google services.

PS: I know that this "restrictions" aren't related to your app. It is Googles design. Keep up your good work. Will definetly go for pro version.
You can use an on-device Google account too and in the Android account settings disable all sync options.
I am not sure if microg will properly support this.

Reactions: mitch44

crypta

It isn't possible to both zoom text with word wrapping and to zoom images beyond the width.

If you want to zoom an image, tap on it to open it in an image viewer.
Not possible.

I think it is a remote embedded picture with an underlying link.

So I click => 'Url options'
Long click => android marked options of context

I didn't find a way to address the image directly, neither the source url. Only the target url is presentet to me.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Not possible.

I think it is a remote embedded picture with an underlying link.

So I click => 'Url options'
Long click => android marked options of context

I didn't find a way to address the image directly, neither the source url. Only the target url is presentet to me.
Try not showing images and tapping on the image.

neodin

Dec 26, 2010
Hi,
I am using the 1.1811a and have one question:
On my phone (Android 10) in the settings of keyboard shortcuts I can set an application the first time when I press the key combination. On the E-Mail shortcut I only get a prompt for Tasker and K-9 (which I only installed for getting the selection dialogue for the shortcut at all). FairEmail is missing here.

Is there something I missed/misconfigured or does my phone maybe send an custom intent which is not recognized by FairEmail?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi,
I am using the 1.1811a and have one question:
On my phone (Android 10) in the settings of keyboard shortcuts I can set an application the first time when I press the key combination. On the E-Mail shortcut I only get a prompt for Tasker and K-9 (which I only installed for getting the selection dialogue for the shortcut at all). FairEmail is missing here.

Is there something I missed/misconfigured or does my phone maybe send an custom intent which is not recognized by FairEmail?

Thank you for your help!
I am not sure what "set an application the first time" means?

neodin

Dec 26, 2010
I am not sure what "set an application the first time" means?
Sorry for the bad description. 😥
I added some screenshots. The first one shows that no mail application ist set for the mail shortcut. The second screenshot shows what happens if I press the shortcut keys. I get a dialogue which allows me to set a default mail application.

16431440158990.jpg 16431440276241.jpg

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
If I look at the Play store reviews of the past night, I should stop with the project right away. Fortunately, I shifted my focus to something else and mostly I have a "Don't care" feeling. If this is good for the project remains to be seen though.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
There have been only bad reviews the last 24 hours, which isn't helping to motivate me to work on this project. I will work on other things instead as a consequence.

Friedel25

Mar 17, 2016
Hannover
There have been only bad reviews the last 24 hours, which isn't helping to motivate me to work on this project. I will work on other things instead as a consequence.
I marked today's 2* and 3* reviews in the DE-playstore as unhelpful and the 1* review as inappropriate.
Don't be disappointed by such reviews; they are just a random accumulation. In the last week (19.01-25.01.) there were 53 times 5*-reviews and 2 times 4* in the DE-playstore and otherwise none. That's an average of 4.96.

In the EN-playstore I marked today's strange 3* review as unhelpful. I had already marked the 1* review there from 24.01. as spam, and received an email confirmation from Google. Maybe it is possible to rate reviews from other regions after all? But maybe I'm wrong!

Reactions: M66B

Top Liked Posts

So here is a suggestion for a new feature, I think it would be very useful, thank you for your availability
    You are the first one ever asked for this and besides that I think it will be confusing in combination of the existing collapse/expand.
    I explain the reason for the suggestion, the folders I have to add are not many but they are enough so that the other accounts below are out of the visible area of the screen, so whenever I want to check what is going on with one of those accounts I have to scroll down, with the expand and collapse option I could quickly bring the other accounts to the visible area of the screen
    Try to collapse the accounts section once.
    Problem solved with this suggestion, although I think the accounts collapse and expand would be a better implementation, I don't know how people can find this confusing, I'm not young anymore, I'm over 50 and this is the option that seems intuitive to me, again, thanks for your patience and support
    :)

I might be older ;-)
    Excellent, I have added the folders I wanted but now they are always visible, when I click on the account name they don't expand or collapse, is there some option left to activate for this to work?
    You can collapse the accounts section as a whole only, not per account.
    Hi, I'm the guy who talked to you on Saturday about switching from PlayStore Pro account to Ghithub version, all flawless with the app, I'd just like to make a suggestion if it's considered a good idea, in the side tab when you click on an account it opens in full screen window with the folder list, would it be possible to make it so that when you click on the account it expands the folder list of that account in the sidebar and another click to collapse?
    I guess you'll want to enable two column mode in the display settings.
    Version 1.1923 1.1924 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

The option to suppress notifications while on a call (recently added) has been replaced by delaying notifications until after having ended the call instead. This way there isn't a risk that important new messages will be missed or seen too late. This option is available on Android 12 and later only because earlier Android versions do not have the requires APIs.
    Version 1.1904 is publicly available in the Play store now. I guess Google has pushed some buttons.
    Version 1.1906 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

Thanks @Rtxda for testing!
    Quite some people asked my opinion about Thunderbird / K9 mail joining.

I wish them good luck because we need privacy friendly apps. The author of K9 mail seems a nice guy to me, and even contributed a few lines of code and some constructive feedback to FairEmail. I hope he'll find a nice place in the Mozilla organization.

That said, the concept of FairEmail is somewhat different than of Thunderbird / K9 mail. One of the things I read about is deep integration between the Thunderbird desktop / mobile app. The concept of FairEmail is to be standalone and not to depend on any service. Maybe in some way the apps are competitors, depending on the way you look at them, but in the end the goal is similar, offering a decent and privacy friendly app, at least I hope that this keeps being the goal of Mozilla. Of course a lot more can be said, but the apps just have a different character, which you might or might not like.
    Version 1.1907 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.