[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

30jp

Sep 25, 2020
There have been only bad reviews the last 24 hours, which isn't helping to motivate me to work on this project. I will work on other things instead as a consequence.
Hi Marcel,

Remember last December when you said you wanted to slow down with FairEmail?
Once every 2 weeks or once a month an update that is necessary for the app.
And ignore the unjustified criticism in the Playstore.
It's now January 26 and you have 20 updates already this year!!! and the Playstore works like a magnet on you.

The covid lockdown in the Netherlands is going off for the most part now.
Theatre, museums and restaurants are reopening.
I would say this is the moment.
Go out with your life partner, family or relatives and do something fun again.
FairEmail is perfect.
The people in XDA use the program every day, are happy with it and enjoy its many features.
They can do quite well without you.

Or, go talk to that company that wanted you as a programmer. Tell them your conditions and if they meet them and you have a good feeling about it then I would say give it a try, why not. If you don't like it afterwards then stop.

I am afraid that the fun of FairEmail will soon be gone and that would be a shame, because you really have created something beautiful.
You should think more about yourself.

Thanks for FairEmail and of course Netguard.

With warm regards
30jp

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi Marcel,

Remember last December when you said you wanted to slow down with FairEmail?
Once every 2 weeks or once a month an update that is necessary for the app.
And ignore the unjustified criticism in the Playstore.
It's now January 26 and you have 20 updates already this year!!! and the Playstore works like a magnet on you.

The covid lockdown in the Netherlands is going off for the most part now.
Theatre, museums and restaurants are reopening.
I would say this is the moment.
Go out with your life partner, family or relatives and do something fun again.
FairEmail is perfect.
The people in XDA use the program every day, are happy with it and enjoy its many features.
They can do quite well without you.

Or, go talk to that company that wanted you as a programmer. Tell them your conditions and if they meet them and you have a good feeling about it then I would say give it a try, why not. If you don't like it afterwards then stop.

I am afraid that the fun of FairEmail will soon be gone and that would be a shame, because you really have created something beautiful.
You should think more about yourself.

Thanks for FairEmail and of course Netguard.

With warm regards
30jp
Thanks.

If you look carefully, there have been no real updates, but only bug fixes and minor improvements. The new features were almost all added for my own convenience and shared with you.

Also, the Play store version is updated once a month only.

I have been on a trip for the past five days, so no worries about my "entertainment". There always have been options enough to go somewhere.

The job/project is something I just need to say "yes" to and can be as big or small as I want.

neodin

Dec 26, 2010
FairEmail "reports" itself as email app. There is not much more I can do.
I think I found something.
According to the AndroidManifest.xml FairEmail should react on this intent:

<intent-filter> <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" /> <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" /> <category android:name="android.intent.category.APP_EMAIL" /> </intent-filter>

Due to Tasker's restrictions I can only test this with the intent '"android.intent.action.MAIN" and the category "android.intent.category.LAUNCHER".

This brings up a lot of other apps, but not FairEmail. So maybe something is not working as expected here.

Maybe this is also the reason why FairEmail is not displayed for category "android.intent.category.APP_EMAIL".

Maybe somebody can verify this.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I think I found something.
According to the AndroidManifest.xml FairEmail should react on this intent:

<intent-filter> <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" /> <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" /> <category android:name="android.intent.category.APP_EMAIL" /> </intent-filter>

Due to Tasker's restrictions I can only test this with the intent '"android.intent.action.MAIN" and the category "android.intent.category.LAUNCHER".

This brings up a lot of other apps, but not FairEmail. So maybe something is not working as expected here.

Maybe this is also the reason why FairEmail is not displayed for category "android.intent.category.APP_EMAIL".

Maybe somebody can verify this.
The category (launcher or app_email) is "or", not "and".
So, this look like a bug in Tasker to me.

neodin

Dec 26, 2010
The category (launcher or app_email) is "or", not "and".
So, this look like a bug in Tasker to me.
Yes, I know. This is why I tested LAUNCHER because Tasker does not support APP_EMAIL.

Anyway I was able to just verify that this is really a bug of FairEmail:
Using the app "Intent" I can exactly send the needed intent with category APP_EMAIL. And this does only bring up Tasker and K-9, but not FairEmail:

16432204198410.jpg

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Yes, I know. This is why I tested LAUNCHER because Tasker does not support APP_EMAIL.

Anyway I was able to just verify that this is really a bug of FairEmail:
Using the app "Intent" I can exactly send the needed intent with category APP_EMAIL. And this does only bring up Tasker and K-9, but not FairEmail:

View attachment 5519717
K9 Mail defines it like this:

And FairEmail like this:

I am happy to fix any bug, but I don't see it (which might be just me).

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016

And FairEmail like this:

In K-9 the slash is immediately after the closing quotation marks, in FE there is a space in between. I have no idea if this could be the reason, but that's the difference I noticed.

neodin

Dec 26, 2010

And FairEmail like this:

Thank you for pointing me to the code. By excluding any other option I guess only this is left as a possible cause:
android:excludeFromRecents="true"
in

It sounds reasonable to me that something that is exluded from recents is also considered not to be suitable as beeing settable as a standard application.

Now I only need to find out how I can verify this. :)

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Thank you for pointing me to the code. By excluding any other option I guess only this is left as a possible cause:
android:excludeFromRecents="true"
in

It sounds reasonable to me that something that is exluded from recents is also considered not to be suitable as beeing settable as a standard application.

Now I only need to find out how I can verify this. :)
Exclude from recents (=recent apps screen) could be an explanation, but this can't be removed.

Reactions: heinhuiz

neodin

Dec 26, 2010
The main activity is a switch activity and never shown and should therefore never show up in the recent apps screen.
Thank you for the clarification!
I found some hints on StackOverflow that API 21 supports this alternative for "excludeFromRecents":
finishAndRemoveTask()
Not sure if it's applicable here and if it's worth the work just for beeing able to set FairEmail as default for keyboard-shortcuts on some phones.

Thanks for the great work and this great application!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Thank you for the clarification!
I found some hints on StackOverflow that API 21 supports this alternative for "excludeFromRecents":
finishAndRemoveTask()
Not sure if it's applicable here and if it's worth the work just for beeing able to set FairEmail as default for keyboard-shortcuts on some phones.

Thanks for the great work and this great application!
Even though that might be an option, which would require extensive testing, for which I don't have time currently, it is not a solution for the real problem, which IMHO lies outside of the app.

I see no reason when the recent apps option is set to false the activity shouldn't qualify. The home screen launcher can start the app too via the same activity, indicating that the activity can be found and is available.

Top Liked Posts

Sorry Marcel,

I really don't know what's more annoying: the bad reviews or your constant complaints about it.

For years I (and many others) have been telling you to just ignore it!

Your app has been the best Android mail client for years. I don't know why you don't believe that.
    Even if you fall to 3.8, it doesn't matter. The people who gave bad reviews are long gone anyway and didn't bother with the app or didn't understand how to use it.

An friend also deleted Fairemail because he could not see any (advertising) pictures. :rolleyes: F*ck these users!

Should they be happy somewhere else!?
    Just "ignore" my complaints.
    Yay! Outstanding to hear the good news about your girlfriend and e-mail client, @M66B!

Thank You!

(keeping my fingers crossed that NetGuard might be saved)
    NetGuard is already available in the Play store again.
    I don't know if this is meaningful or not but I just went to the Google playstore for another round of upvoting/downvoting and found that Fairemail is still not listed. I'm in the US.
    Fwiw.
    The app is still in the approval process of Google ...
    So, that's unfortunately correct.

I will update here if the app gets approved:

https://faircode.eu/faq.html
    Sorry Marcel,

I really don't know what's more annoying: the bad reviews or your constant complaints about it.

For years I (and many others) have been telling you to just ignore it!

Your app has been the best Android mail client for years. I don't know why you don't believe that.
    Even if you fall to 3.8, it doesn't matter. The people who gave bad reviews are long gone anyway and didn't bother with the app or didn't understand how to use it.

An friend also deleted Fairemail because he could not see any (advertising) pictures. :rolleyes: F*ck these users!

Should they be happy somewhere else!?
    I don't know if this is meaningful or not but I just went to the Google playstore for another round of upvoting/downvoting and found that Fairemail is still not listed. I'm in the US.
    Fwiw.
    Screenshot_20220528-104713.png
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    Version 1.1901 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

This version fixes all reported bugs and there is a small behavior change: scrolling to the end of a list or message will show the compose or answer button now, without needing to scroll in the other direction again.

Google's privacy and policy team confirmed the approval of the app. For more news, please see here.
    The balance

The few euros I receive in return for what's being offered and the fun of developing things are no compensation for the thousands of questions I answer every month, for unfair Play store reviews and for stress about unclear Google requirements.

The verdict

I have not reached a conclusion yet, but the question I am asking myself is why I would continue with the project. Maybe it is the moment, with a sick girlfriend, but I currently don't see it.

Alternatives

GitHub only version: 98% of the audience will be lost.

Strip down the app: more bad reviews

Paid support: more bad reviews

Stop answering questions: more bad reviews

Bad reviews will shift the balance only in the wrong direction.

Core problem

Google. There is no sensible way to appeal in case of bad reviews or alleged violations of Play store policies.

People. They are generally pretty demanding and on the other hand everything should be free.

Myself. An old and grumpy developer, who maybe should retired.

Input is welcome.
    Dear Marcel,

I've only discovered the various drama that have affected both your personal and dev lives because I hadn't been on this forum for months and hadn't updated FE for quite some time (FE is so good and already satisfies my needs well enough that I don't feel the need to upgrade too often). So reading backwards through 40+ pages of this thread was a shock to me.

First, I hope your GF keeps recovering. Life in good health is so precious.

Second, I want to reiterate my strong support to you. FE is by far the best email client out there. I couldn't manage my multiple accounts without it and would be quite desperate/sad should its support end. And you Marcel are the nicest and most dedicated dev I've ever "met" either virtually (through public forums such as XDA) or in person (at my workplace). So, whatever the next steps I want to warmly thank you!

I hope you'll be able to learn how to become insensitive (or less sensitive) to unfair negative comments (this earth is full of as***les and you have no control over this). You should only feed yourself with positive energy received from all the good people who love and respect you and your fantastic work.

You're having a strong positive impact on people: not only the daily happy users of your apps, but also now beyond. Your story has been in the media, and now it's seems that some political parties or lobbies could use your story to encourage the EU increase their support towards independent dev, FOSS, etc...
    So now you're reaching a new iconic status, and you'll have to learn to live with it! 😇😉

Sending more positive energy ❤️❤️❤️ from France
    Thanks.

My girlfriend is slowly recovering, although frustratingly slow (especially for herself).

I never wanted an "iconic status", and only wanted to help people protect their privacy because in my opinion this was and still is necessary, but I guess it is what it is and that I need to deal with it now. Maybe it helps to increase awareness about privacy matters though, which would be a good side.

I like to thank the many people who have been rather supportive last week. This is the main reason why I am continuing.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.