[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
Discussion: should forwarding a message start a new conversation or is it part of the existing conversation?

My point of view is that forwarding a message starts a new conversation. The original participants of the conversation don't see the messages of the new conversation after all.

There could even be as privacy concern when not starting a new conversation:

+1 :)

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I love these new quick actions, the delete helps me a ton everyday.

Would adding Mark as Read/Unread be an option you'd think about adding? Or maybe having the ability to select which options you want to see.

I know there is a lot of talk about people thinking there are too many setting and all the BS, but having options/settings to customize the app to your liking is what truly makes FairEmail one of the best app out there.

Marking messages read this way is a good idea, so:

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Discussion: should forwarding a message start a new conversation or is it part of the existing conversation?

My point of view is that forwarding a message starts a new conversation. The original participants of the conversation don't see the messages of the new conversation after all.

There could even be as privacy concern when not starting a new conversation:

I disagree, for me forwarding a message means making the new participant part of the original conversation.

For starting a new conversation one should use Edit as new, which should also address the privacy concerns you mention.

asripath

Jul 12, 2020
Redmi K20 Pro
On Play Store latest beta...

Outlook and Yahoo emails in which iam included as cc...
Which used to appear in respective providers Inbox folder...

Now goto Bulk email folder.

Anyway I can fix this behaviour from occurring?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
On Play Store latest beta...

Outlook and Yahoo emails in which iam included as cc...
Which used to appear in respective providers Inbox folder...

Now goto Bulk email folder.

Anyway I can fix this behaviour from occurring?
First step is to move the messages back to the inbox. If there is a block sender rule in the app, it will be cancelled this way. It also trains the email server to consider similar messages not as spam anymore.

Reactions: asripath

Will_T

Oct 23, 2013
I left the beta program last week and am just staying with the Play Store version. The app is working fine for me, but I am not seeing the latest versions the Play Store. The latest installed version I have is: 1.1887a, and that matches what I see in the Store. Is Google just being slower than normal or is it something else?

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The app is working fine for me, but I am not seeing the latest versions the Play Store. The latest installed version I have is: 1.1887a, and that matches what I see in the Store. Is Google just being slow or is it something else?
There will be a new pubic Play store release about once a month only because 1 star ratings like "Too many updates" are rather frustrating.

You can join the Play store test program to get more updates:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The next version will have configurable quick actions. You can select:
  • Set low importance (new)
  • Mark as read
  • Add star (new)
  • Move to inbox
  • Archive
  • Report spam
  • Trash

Is there any other action which you use commonly?

Screenshot_20220513-113018.png

Top Liked Posts

Despite everything, version 1.1974 is available on GitHub now and via the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Download/changelog:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

This is a release candidate for the next public Play store version. Given the situation, I will fix bugs in this version only. This week, my mother will probably get another series of chemo therapies. So, I will be rather often in two hospitals this week.
    And more 1-star reviews, dragging the average rating down even more. The incentive to work on this app is slowly and steadily vaporizing.

I will keep maintaining the app, but I am going to reduce the time I am putting into support. It seems to be mostly wasted time anyway.
    I disagree that it's wasted time. Wasted time is there negative review. Still the highest rated email app in any country in the world. More positive experiences and positivty can't be wrong.

This is still my favorite email app and the best support then any email app I've ever used. You can't find most of these features on any other email app:
    The amount of settings and configurations
    Google Safe browsing
    Disconnect's tracker protection (for links or images)
    Reformatted messages
    Biometric authentication
    Language Tool integration
    VirusTotal integration
    Etc

Stupidity of others doesn't make a bad app. The minority shouldn't destroy it for the majority and they certainly don't speak for us.

And more 1-star reviews, dragging the average rating down even more. The incentive to work on this app is slowly and steadily vaporizing.
    I know it's not the world, but in the german playstore your app has 4.9 stars.
    Thanks for your supportive message.

Tomorrow you'll probably go to your work, hopefully with pleasure. Imagine your boss saying every afternoon, when you leave back home, to you that your work was bad. You know that it was good work, and even a few colleagues say that sometimes. The financial compensation you get for your work is minimal, but money is not your main motivation. How would you feel after a while? Would you keep doing the same work, or would you find another job with a nicer boss, which pays better?
    There are weeks where I have to put up with this. As a frontline tech support I get a lot of negativity. I just need to remind my self that they are taking out frustration on there issue and not on me.
    I understand your concern, but I am not planning to abandon the project. I am one of the fans of the app myself and use it to handle thousands of messages every month.

If you want to be sure (if such a thing exist), you can always switch to the Gmail or Outlook app.
    No way, I'm staying on Fairemail.
    In the spirit of giving presents on your birthday: the next version will allow you to query the whois information in the link confirmation dialog. Example:

1662284115539.png
    Version 1.1969 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/Download:

There is a new set of Material You themes (Android 12+) where the primary and accent color are the same.
    The next version will warn for potentially dangerous attachments by using a warning color and a bold font type. When sending a message, the send dialog will show a warning as well (which can be ignored).

This list of file extensions is being used for this:

Preview version:

https://bitbucket.org/M66B/fairemail-test/downloads/FairEmail-v1.1966a-github-attachment-warn-release.apk

Screenshot_20220918-080718.png

Screenshot_20220917-223752.png
    The next version of the app will add 'Select block' to the copy/paste menu, which will extend the current selection to a block of text (consecutive lines). IMHO this should be a standard Android feature.
    Version 1.1964 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

Whois: tap on a link, in the link confirmation dialog, tap on 'More options', tap on the 'Whois' button. Edit: this isn't available in the Play store version.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account, you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off-topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.