[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
@topcaser, a quick action for this makes no sense as the quick actions are intended for received messages only AFAIK.

Also, there's already a neat quick action for delayed sending: long-press the send button 😉

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
Screenshot_20220514-205057_Brave.jpgScreenshot_20220514-204957_Brave.jpg
this is with guitar pedals pros & cons ,
each pedal for a "con" = "too many options". "not enuff features". reviews for the same type of pedal. its everywhere. js

Reactions: nubla

nubla

Sep 7, 2020
well we could adjust volume , timing , rate. the list is virtually limitless :love:
Careful what you say! M66B might actually implement things. Even if it's not April Fools. While reiterating "no new features." 😅

Perhaps in the name of viral-style marketing? But is it worth all the 1 star reviews if FairEmail fails to make users sound like Slash? 😂

Reactions: mrrocketdog

Top Liked Posts

Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    :love:(y) I think I speak for many users here when I say: So happy you are going on ... and so happy FairEmail is going on. Version 1.1900 is already installed.

Hope very much that the problems with Google are cleared up with this - and that you regain the joy of working with FairEmail. Do it for the users who appreciate your work - and ignore the others.

Our best wishes for you ...
    Congratulations Marcel, Fairmail is famous:giggle::giggle:
    I prefer "normal", so I can start developing again, which is at this moment hard given the sheer volume of messages I receive (including press inquiries, that is). What I want to do for myself, to satisfy my perfectionist nature, LOL, and to create opportunities for new features, is to write a new styled text to HTML converter. Currently, the app ships a modified copy of the Android converter , but this is not really ideal. In fact the latest version added some more "hacks" to fix some, but not all, bullet/number lists issues.

Your old and grumpy developer aka drama queen.
    That's what I was doing. I think I have become quite efficient at finding my way around the settings. I usually will try to search the frequently asked questions if I'm not sure of something. I found a few things I didn't know about. I still am not quite sure what the difference between Show Brand Indicators for Message Identification (BIMI), Avatars, and favicons is.

I also can't figure out what LanguageTool is used for. I know LanguageTool has a spell checker but I couldn't find one in the Fairemail settings. I see there is language detection but I'm not quite sure what that is for.

No matter what I still love this app. I'll be the first to admit I'm still learning all of its ins and outs but it's still the best email app. Likely if you want to change something it's there in the settings. Fairemail has the best customization of any app I've ever used. This thread has the most corespondents I've ever made on XDA and I'm amazed at the support for users and for the developer. You are all amazing keep up the great work. It's groups like this that make me so proud FOSS apps. You would likely never find this kind of support and love for a app or project if it was close sourced.
    BIMI: link

Avatars was Gravatar and Libravatar a bit hidden. They will be split in the next version again.

Favicons: link

BIMI, Gravatar, Libravatar and favicons are all ways to show some contact image.

LanguageTool (long press the save draft button) is for spell and style checking and was in the GitHub version available only, but that will probably change.
    Reading all the comments the last week is really heartwarming!
    And it because of you Marcel - not only the excellence of your apps but most of all because you are a rare bread: kind, gentle, supportive beyond ratio, super fast & responsive. With people like you the harsh world we're living in is a better place. So I want to thank you for that 🙏🏼 And of course your wonderful apps 😏
    If you'd leave the Google Play Store and distribute your app via other channels like GitHub as you've initially offered as an option in the beginning when all the hassle started I'm sure a lot of users would follow you and new users would join. Just the a******s left behind 😉

Having said all that the most important thing remains the swift recovery of your girlfriend. I wish you guys all the best!!! 🙏🏼

PS: Another donation is on its way.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

The balance

The few euros I receive in return for what's being offered and the fun of developing things are no compensation for the thousands of questions I answer every month, for unfair Play store reviews and for stress about unclear Google requirements.

The verdict

I have not reached a conclusion yet, but the question I am asking myself is why I would continue with the project. Maybe it is the moment, with a sick girlfriend, but I currently don't see it.

Alternatives

GitHub only version: 98% of the audience will be lost.

Strip down the app: more bad reviews

Paid support: more bad reviews

Stop answering questions: more bad reviews

Bad reviews will shift the balance only in the wrong direction.

Core problem

Google. There is no sensible way to appeal in case of bad reviews or alleged violations of Play store policies.

People. They are generally pretty demanding and on the other hand everything should be free.

Myself. An old and grumpy developer, who maybe should retired.

Input is welcome.
    I paid for this software and donated several times, so what would I gain by trolling? I share my opinion with you and get trolled by you because you don't like it? It is much sadder how grateful my money is accepted although I would troll. Would you rather be lied to and cheated instead or how do I have to imagine this? Honestly, I do not care if you like my opinion or not. I stand by it and think my part.
    I feel responsible, but what is your problem exactly? The app as-is works fine and it will keep working fine for the foreseeable future. I even published an update in this thread yesterday for an ugly problem introduced in recent versions. Please tell me what is wrong and I will see what I can do. Please be nice and you'll be responded to in the same way. There is already enough hate on this planet.

Please understand that mainly Google caused this "event". There is some good news though because a real human contacted me outside the usual Google "flow". There will be a phone call Tuesday.
    On special request by PM of OP, Marcel aka @M66B, I have to inform you as follows:
    Can you please write in each XDA thread that the GitHub repos have been restored?
    Marcel, I know you can't respond here but personally I hope that this isn't your final decision.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.

Changelog/download:

I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.